THE HELMET THREAD

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

But you were gping to explore mountain and country side exploration trail rading right doing a @Marty Backe and @Seba with that new battery power bank? Once you have been out in the wild nature you will that lonely sensation like the charli chaplin movie where they cook soap on a shoe...anyone will be a chick at that point.

:D anyone, and perhaps anything 🐩:wub:

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lutalo said:

So, Finally my Bell Full 9 showed up. Shipped via USPS and the snow storm delayed it. It fits nicely in double XL. Very lightweight; a reported 2.4 lbs. Turning my head will be a breeze. Copped my Scottie Pippin, now it's on to my Micheal Jordan helmet.

I am thinking that the Nexx XR2 Full Carbon is my "Nexx" target :D. In terms of price it's probably overkill for EUCs, but I am planning another motorcycle purchase in the somewhat near future; patiently waiting for Suzuki's next generation Hyabusa. Whenever its released I will already have my premium helmet. In the meantime, it can easily double as an EUC helmet; weighs only 2.7 lbs only slightly more than the BF9 in the photo.  That is super lightweight for a motorcycle helmet. It is the lightest Full face available anywhere, and I got my eyes beaming on it :clap3:

Nice looking lid!  

• Like 2

I ordered one of these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROCKBROS-Light-Sports-Helmet-Ultralight-Bike-Helmet-Intergrally-molded-Mount-Climbing-Cycling-Bicycle-Helmet-Safety-Men/32850806530.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000013.2.3fa26136l0JN9K&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.99734.0&scm_id=1007.13339.99734.0&scm-url=1007.13339.99734.0&pvid=7dd45cbf-e326-4341-847e-f879d42b56cb

image.png.4c940971c68f5266a4eb13acbfcc3009.png

I don't think it has any safety ratings.  Or won't be good for multiple falls.  But I like the idea of integrated lights.  I like to ride at night, need to see stuff in the road and more importantly, be seen.

I dropped my old cycling helmet a few days ago and broke the rock-lock.  So I needed a new one.  Plus didn't like having my Cateye light mounted on top (like a GoPro) when riding around in the daytime.

I live in southern California, so needs to be well vented.  

I will post some kind of review when I receive it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

The BF9 fits nicely. Feels good. The last one was squeezing my brain out through my ears. Feels so light. I should have no trouble with neck fatigue. 

IMG_20190117_140206.jpg

Looks good man! I'm stoked with mine too. I thought these long range rides would bother me, but I'm loving the full face helmet! Only downside is when going fast, I can't hear the Bluetooth speakers of the XL much at all. . Maybe it's about time for some Bluetooth earbuds, though I like to blast tunes through the wheel. It's like my own backing music following me around like on "I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka!" 😜 

Edited by Rama Douglas
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Looks good man! I'm stoked with mine too. I thought these long range rides would bother me, but I'm loving the full face helmet! Only downside is when going fast, I can't hear the Bluetooth speakers of the XL much at all. . Maybe it's about time for some Bluetooth earbuds, though I like to blast tunes through the wheel. It's like my own backing music following me around like on "I'm Gonna Git You, Sucka!" 😜 

Yeah, even when using an external Bluetooth speaker, they are only good for <15-mph riding. I mostly use earbuds.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lutalo said:

The BF9 fits nicely. Feels good. The last one was squeezing my brain out through my ears. Feels so light. I should have no trouble with neck fatigue. 

IMG_20190117_140206.jpg

I see those braids, I get what you mean with the "predator" helmet :roflmao:

You look a lot friendlier than the Predator though. I may not need my cattle prod after all. And maybe skip on those laser-reflectors I suddenly got an urge to buy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, even when using an external Bluetooth speaker, they are only good for <15-mph riding. I mostly use earbuds.

Exactly. Earbuds (or headphones in general) are actually the only option to listen to music during a faster ride. However I couldn't convince myself to use earbuds, because I always had an uncomfortable feeling of being isolated from sounds from the surroundings. Finally I bought Aftershokz Trekz Titanium bone conduction headphones and it solved my problem. Now I can ride, listen to music and hear all the sounds from the outside at the same time :)

Edited by Seba
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Seba said:

Exactly. Earbuds (or headphones in general) are actually the only option to listen to music during a faster ride. However I couldn't convince myself to use earbuds, because I always had an uncomfortable feeling of being isolated from sounds from the surroundings. Finally I bought Aftershokz Trekz Titanium bone conduction headphones and it solved my problem. Now I can ride, listen to music and hear all the sounds from the outside at the same time :)

I need to try those eventually. However, now that I wear a full-face helmet, even without the earbuds I feel kind of isolated from the surroundings.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I need to try those eventually. However, now that I wear a full-face helmet, even without the earbuds I feel kind of isolated from the surroundings.

I bought a pair of recommended bone conducting headphones.  Honestly, they are crap.  There is no sound quality at all.  For listening to an audio book they would be ok, but music, no.  I tried a dozen different ways of putting them on my head; nothing worked, the sound is horrible.  I use conventional bluetooth headphones and for around £30 I'm happy.  BUT, I don't ride in traffic with them on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm afraid that Aftershokz may be not compatible with full face helmet :( But there are numerous Bluetooth headsets, that are specifically designed to be fitted inside the helmet. They still don't block your ears, so may be less isolating.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I bought a pair of recommended bone conducting headphones.  Honestly, they are crap.  There is no sound quality at all.  For listening to an audio book they would be ok, but music, no.  I tried a dozen different ways of putting them on my head; nothing worked, the sound is horrible.  I use conventional bluetooth headphones and for around £30 I'm happy.  BUT, I don't ride in traffic with them on.

They're lacking bass, that's all :) If one is a bass maniac, they will disappoint him. But medium and high tones are even clearer and crispier than in conventional headphones. I also missed bass... for three days. Finally, I got used to it and started to enjoy the rest :)

@Dave Frear I agree with you on the earbuds not being safe while riding, but if safety is a main concern for you then I can assure you from a very hard learned lesson that your choice of a cyclist open helmet can prove to be catastrophic. I would have had many missing teeth if not for me wearing a full faced helmet in my first big EUC crash. Wrecking a bicycle is not like wrecking an EUC at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

Yeah, that's true.  I can see that being a problem. I didn't even consider it because I don't usually listen to music when I ride. I'm thinking more about how much cooler my face will feel during DC's very hot and humid summers. :efee96588e:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I see those braids, I get what you mean with the "predator" helmet :roflmao:

You look a lot friendlier than the Predator though. I may not need my cattle prod after all. And maybe skip on those laser-reflectors I suddenly got an urge to buy.

😂😂😂😂. I promise that I will leave the laser gun at home. 

4 hours ago, Seba said:

Exactly, that's my thing also. Staying attuned to the sounds around me, also keeps me attuned to what's happening around me. 

Plus, I get to hear and soak up all the compliments that people hurl at me when I pass by. :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Lutalo said:

Plus, I get to hear and soak up all the compliments that people hurl at me when I pass by. :D

Remember to ride safe, bro! :D You may get into serious trouble by hearing "Oh, man! I wanna have a baby with you!" when passing by some cute girl... :dribble:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

True. I found myself lifting the front visor a lot when I was using my full face Bell Vortex motorcycle helmet to try and combat the isolation. 

Since I found the Nexx XR2 Full Carbon that weighs in the neighborhood of 2.6 lbs, I am planning to buy another motorcycle helmet and use it for EUC riding. I will probably be lifting the visor again. I really haven't found it problematic at the speeds we typically cruise. 

Below is the helmet I was using before this recent purchase. When I say monstrous diver's helmet, there is something to it; thing weighed almost 6lbs in my size.  :D

IMG_20190117_142950.jpg