THE HELMET THREAD

I'm still looking for a decent helmet myself too.

I don't want to wear a motorcycle helmet (for weight and heat issues). I tried the Gyro Switchblade but it was way too loose on my cheeks. And as previously stated here, plenty of chin guards can be found, but without certification they are worthless if the reason you buy one is to protect your chin and teeth.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I decided to do some more research on helmet technology, specifically how the Leatt helmet I just bought compares to those using MIPS.  I've been reading motocross message boards in an effort to see if I can short-cut having to do a lot of reading and instead learn what those folks have to say.  A lot of them have had multiple concussions and are more invested in finding the best possible helmet tech for their bikes because of the seriousness of their crashes.  Unfortunately, there isn't the kind of standardized testing I was hoping their might be, beyond the usual certifications.  

The impression I get is that the proprietary systems used by a company called 6D (probably the best) and Leatt and Bell, specifically, are considered a definite tier above MIPS-equipped helmets. 

I've been surprised to read folks suggesting that MIPS is mostly a case of successful marketing and shouldn't be compared to the systems used by 6D/Leatt/Bell.  They don't say MIPS is useless, just that it's not all it's cracked up to be.  They mention that Bell actually bought MIPS, then ended up selling it and going with their own in-house design.  

Take it for what it's worth; it's my read of the consensus opinion of motocross riders and presumes that they actually know what they're talking about.  I know many of us take possible head injuries seriously and wanted to share the results of my research in case anyone is wondering what their consensus is on the best-of-the-best in current helmet tech.  

Of course the success of MIPS is in part successful marketing. And if 6D, Leatt and Bell have self developed systems that do as well or better, good for them.

My comment about looking for MIPS could be rephrased "MIPS or similar". The whole point was to have a good impact rotational protection system, not who made it.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 2

If anyone is interested in learning more about safety in helmets, check out the work done by 6D.  They really changed the game a few years ago with their designs.  They've been contracted by the NFL to implement their tech in football helmets where concussions are a big problem.  They might be the only company to have publicly released data comparing their helmets to the competition and the results are impressive.  

If I was into dirt biking, I wouldn't ride with any other brand.  I kinda think they're overkill for EUCs.  Not that they wouldn't be the best choice, but they're very expensive and not as necessary as in a more dangerous sport like motocross.  Helmet tech was stagnant for a long long time before they came in and disrupted the industry.  Companies like Leatt and Bell are basically trying to copy them.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I'm still looking for a decent helmet myself too.

I don't want to wear a motorcycle helmet (for weight and heat issues). I tried the Gyro Switchblade but it was way too loose on my cheeks. And as previously stated here, plenty of chin guards can be found, but without certification they are worthless if the reason you buy one is to protect your chin and teeth.

You're wise to avoid any helmet that doesn't fit properly.  I'm glad that I decided to spend some time researching helmet safety further because I realize in retrospect that I was ignorant about a number of important issues.  

I was reluctant to consider a motocross helmet, too.  The Leatt GPX is somewhat unique because it's the smallest helmet on the market.  It's able to do this because they licensed a tech called multi-density v-foam from a company called Kali:

"In 2010 Kali began making motorcycle helmets with a technique invented by Australian Don Morgan who named it "cone-head" foam. It uses a layer of softer, less dense, foam next to the head, with cones or pyramids of the softer foam sticking up into the layer of harder, denser foam in the outer layer.. "

I didn't initially understand why a smaller shell size was important for safety in concussion-level impacts.  I've since learned that the closer you can get the shell to the head, the less rotational energy will be transferred to the brain.  

Regarding heat dissipation- the GPX helmet is much more similar to bicycle helmet because of it's ventilation system.  This is another area in which it is class-leading.  Some of the motocross folks find it's too ventilated for them.  

• Like 3

Problem is I have a difficult head. It's oval, but I require a large size helmet or otherwise it doesn't fit over the top of my head. Problem is that because of this, either the helmet is too small at the top of my head, or sits loose around the cheeks. The car racing helmet I use is a Stilo GT5, size XL, but with thicker cheek pads installed (1cm extra), and that's a perfect fit. Problem is that you need a brand with different sizes of cheek pads or you can't do this. That was the problem I had with the Gyro helmet. I don't want to order 15 helmets online to send 14 back before I find the right fit, but finding a shop with lots of different brands is quite complicated too it seems.

I always hated helmet shopping (same in my motorcycle days), and now I remember why again ...

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

Problem is that you need a brand with different sizes of cheek pads or you can't do this. That was the problem I had with the Gyro helmet. I don't want to order 15 helmets online to send 14 back before I find the right fit, but finding a shop with lots of different brands is quite complicated too it seems.

I always hated helmet shopping (same in my motorcycle days), and now I remember why again ...

I don't know if this helps you but my TSG Pass helmet comes as a fixed size but the cheekpads can be swapped and purchased it different sizes.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 11:56 PM, fbhb said:

@Unventor I would have to say that since getting the TSG Pass it is definitely my preferred choice when riding the wheel. I will now only be using the two Ruroc's when I am riding my e-skate, which is what I bought them for originally. Having only been riding an EUC since January the Ruroc came in useful initially for the first few months before the upgrade to the TSG Pass. I just love wearing the TSG knowing that you have the full protection if ever needed, whilst it has been achieved in such a stunning and stylish looking helmet. As you will already know, this helmet is very comfortable to wear & the vision through that massive aperture is remarkable with no blind spots whatsoever. It is a high quality product and coming complete with the choice of Two visors (mirror & clear) is another plus, along with the protective bag and the extra pads to customize the fit. The Ruroc's are also of a high quality and also very well thought out, considering it provides full face protection but can also be worn as an open face by detaching the clip on mask. The fit of both the helmet and the goggles is also very comfortable & it is virtually impossible to fog up the goggles due to their clever design. The Ruroc also has the benefit of not obscuring any external sound due to having a fabric covered section over the ears. So that is one really positive point in favour of the Ruroc when listening out for any warning beeps when riding on the wheel. As for the colour choice, with my helmet collection being mostly All Black, it's probably due to me being based in New Zealand!?

I was looking into this because I thought it looked really nice. I see there is a new model come out soon. But I had a question about this particular version that you have. Can you wear glasses with the goggles over the helm or is it pressed against you.

15 hours ago, Esper said:

I was looking into this because I thought it looked really nice. I see there is a new model come out soon. But I had a question about this particular version that you have. Can you wear glasses with the goggles over the helm or is it pressed against you.

@Esper The new model Ruroc does look to be another fantastic looking addition to the Atlas range, which have all been developed to meet motorcycle safety standards. The RG1-DX models that I use, were developed as Snowboard/Ski helmets but still meet specific stringent safety standards that can be found on their website. They do offer a great option for EUC use and fantastic versatility, even having the option to fit built in Bluetooth speakers if so desired.

I only need glasses for close up work/reading so never need to use them when driving or riding the wheel. To help give you an answer to your question about wearing glasses, I have actually been able to test this out for you today.

So to answer your question, I tried first putting the helmet on, minus the mask & with the goggles attached but out of the way so that I could put my reading glasses on. I then pulled the goggles back over & into position over the top of my glasses with no problem. I then clipped the mask back in place to make sure everything fitted OK without any discomfort & found that there is actually enough room (at least in the case of my reading glasses) underneath the goggles. This may vary slightly for you based on the type/size of the frames of your glasses, but if you need me to post up a photo of my reading glasses for comparison I'd be happy to do that for you.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 3:10 PM, ir_fuel said:

Just ordered a TSG helmet. 

TSG_Advance_Solid_Color_Helmet_satin_bla

aaaand ....

It doesn't fit.  (size L). Too narrow on the top of my head.

Checked some local shops, no decent choice there either so now I ordered 3 different helmets online and I'll just send back what doesn't fit. I just hopes at least one fits ...

• Like 3

Did I mention I hate helmet shopping?

Always the same with brick and mortar shops too. "No sir we haven't got your size but we can order it". Yeah, that's going to help me figure out if it fits... And they carry one or two brands. I don't mind if the color of my liking isn't available. Sure go and order. But size? A helmet is like shoes. If you never bought the brand, good luck knowing if it will fit fine. 

oh well, long live the internet and free returns.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

@Esper The new model Ruroc does look to be another fantastic looking addition to the Atlas range, which have all been developed to meet motorcycle safety standards. The RG1-DX models that I use, were developed as Snowboard/Ski helmets but still meet specific stringent safety standards that can be found on their website. They do offer a great option for EUC use and fantastic versatility, even having the option to fit built in Bluetooth speakers if so desired.

I only need glasses for close up work/reading so never need to use them when driving or riding the wheel. To help give you an answer to your question about wearing glasses, I have actually been able to test this out for you today.

So to answer your question, I tried first putting the helmet on, minus the mask & with the goggles attached but out of the way so that I could put my reading glasses on. I then pulled the goggles back over & into position over the top of my glasses with no problem. I then clipped the mask back in place to make sure everything fitted OK without any discomfort & found that there is actually enough room (at least in the case of my reading glasses) underneath the goggles. This may vary slightly for you based on the type/size of the frames of your glasses, but if you need me to post up a photo of my reading glasses for comparison I'd be happy to do that for you.

So was there a lot of room? Or was it just snug? I might just go with the visor version instead of the goggles. Thank you for testing it out for me though!

3 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Did I mention I hate helmet shopping?

Always the same with brick and mortar shops too. "No sir we haven't got your size but we can order it". Yeah, that's going to help me figure out if it fits... And they carry one or two brands. I don't mind if the color of my liking isn't available. Sure go and order. But size? A helmet is like shoes. If you never bought the brand, good luck knowing if it will fit fine. 

oh well, long live the internet and free returns.

i tried this once in a shop...

"do you have my size?" (XL)

"Nope"

"do you have my freinds size?" (Small) 

"Nope"

"what do you have then???"

"medium, and XXL"

:blink:

Edited by Shad0z

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

And then they wonder why they lose business to the internet ...

hah correct. and then they go rant about how the "internet businesses are damaging to our economy as a whole"

:roflmao:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Isn't that helmet quite hot since it was made for winter sports?

The RG1-DX? It might be? But helmets designed for snow 'sports' probably have nice ventilation because of how active you are. On PEVs you hardly do any laborious movement that would cause you to sweat. I think if you really got hot, you would just raise up a visor or remove the goggles on any helmet regardless of it is a winter or summer helm.

52 minutes ago, Esper said:

The RG1-DX? It might be? But helmets designed for snow 'sports' probably have nice ventilation because of how active you are. On PEVs you hardly do any laborious movement that would cause you to sweat

Well, when doing winter sports it's usually freezing. When you are riding your EUC in the summer there is a 35 degrees C sun shining on your nice black helmet ...

52 minutes ago, Esper said:

. I think if you really got hot, you would just raise up a visor or remove the goggles on any helmet regardless of it is a winter or summer helm.

Just compare this one to a bicycle helmet. There is a lot more ventilation in that one. I found a Dutch website that sells this helmet and they state it's built to keep your head cool and your face hot.

4 hours ago, Esper said:

So was there a lot of room? Or was it just snug? I might just go with the visor version instead of the goggles. Thank you for testing it out for me though!

I would not say there was a lot of room, more like enough room especially given that the foam is thick  enough to mold around your glasses if needed. I can say that it did feel comfortable for me.

Regarding how warm or hot the helmet is, I have used it in cooler temperatures no problem and also in over 30degree summer temperatures with no issues due to how good the ventilation system works.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

Dammit.  :furious:  Anyone else besides @ir_fuel and me that have magnum XXL sized heads?  My new CKX Glitch TX696 XL helmet is too tight!  It feels like I've got my noggin clamped with a vice.  :crying:  I know that I have a large head full of mushy brains, but this is ridiculous!   Darn darn darny darn.  I just checked, and my Triple 8 helmet is an XXL.  Whoops!

Oh well, back it goes!  It looked so cool too.  I wonder if the XXL size would be freakishly big since the XL already makes me look like a life sized bobblehead.  :innocent1:  It's such a sweet looking helmet though... sigh...

IMG_4358.jpg

• Like 1