THE HELMET THREAD

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Yes : bad GPS signal here between buildings.Looking to get a gimbal too.

But orders at a Hong Kong dealer. Trying to get out of that deal and buying inside EU instead. Better consumer protection due to EU laws a little more pricy though.

I love the x3000 picture quality, but i hate the formfactor.  the only gimbal that is good for it is the pilotfly action 1, it is $340, fails a lot from what the reviews say.  I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it.  the feiyu tech g5gs works only with the water proof housing.  you can mount it in the gs, but sideways.  not ideal.

9 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

the feiyu tech g5gs works only with the water proof housing.  you can mount it in the gs, but sideways.  not ideal.

Sorry a little off topic here. But this was/is my choice. I don't mind having the cam in WH. Helps keeping cam "safe"....maybe.

15 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I love the x3000 picture quality, but i hate the formfactor.  the only gimbal that is good for it is the pilotfly action 1, it is $340, fails a lot from what the reviews say.  I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it.  the feiyu tech g5gs works only with the water proof housing.  you can mount it in the gs, but sideways.  not ideal.

How about Zhiyun Smooth-Q?

• Upvote 1

We should have a vidcam/gimbal thread similar to safety gear ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I started of with a TSG Status (bicycle helmet with rear red led), then got a TSG Pass. The size are similar, but I feel 10 times safer in The Pass. It is very tight fit for me but once on,  it stays in same position which I like. Today on my commute home picking up a parcel on my EUC a kid (4-5ish) shouted out .."dad d's d's look whooa solo cool" while he and his younger sister passed me on their push-scooters. 

Love my helm. ??This is from the other day. Sorry first real recording handheld ?

I am trying to match @eddiemoy cool-factor however I need to train more ?

That's the exact helmet I just got.   I really like the high viz yellow.   Its brighter than I thought which is good :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, that0n3guy said:

That's the exact helmet I just got.   I really like the high viz yellow.   Its brighter than I thought which is good :)

You have great taste ??

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

We should have a vidcam/gimbal thread similar to safety gear ?

one called like "video gear"

that would be perfect. 

Edited by Shad0z

4 hours ago, Kens said:

How about Zhiyun Smooth-Q?

I have one, Fry's electronics had them on sale with a promo code for $79, super cheap for a gimbal.  Works pretty well with the cell phone.  I did not know that an adapter was not needed for action cams.

Edit:  just tried it with my go-pro clone action cam by unlocking the holder and turning it like in the video, it worked for a few seconds then the gimbal started humming and vibrating like it was out of balance and overworking the motors  That will burn out the gimbal.  Need to try adjusting the gimbal to balance it better.

Edited by steve454
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

More @steve454 videos NOW :D

Hey, you made a couple of good ones with good music soundtracks, but I haven't seen one with your new wheel.  Way better than anything I could make.??️:lol:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

So which one do you prefer and why?

Personally I prefer colour to be more tragic safe. Hunch I chose Acid yellow for my Pass helm.

@Unventor I would have to say that since getting the TSG Pass it is definitely my preferred choice when riding the wheel. I will now only be using the two Ruroc's when I am riding my e-skate, which is what I bought them for originally. Having only been riding an EUC since January the Ruroc came in useful initially for the first few months before the upgrade to the TSG Pass. I just love wearing the TSG knowing that you have the full protection if ever needed, whilst it has been achieved in such a stunning and stylish looking helmet. As you will already know, this helmet is very comfortable to wear & the vision through that massive aperture is remarkable with no blind spots whatsoever. It is a high quality product and coming complete with the choice of Two visors (mirror & clear) is another plus, along with the protective bag and the extra pads to customize the fit. The Ruroc's are also of a high quality and also very well thought out, considering it provides full face protection but can also be worn as an open face by detaching the clip on mask. The fit of both the helmet and the goggles is also very comfortable & it is virtually impossible to fog up the goggles due to their clever design. The Ruroc also has the benefit of not obscuring any external sound due to having a fabric covered section over the ears. So that is one really positive point in favour of the Ruroc when listening out for any warning beeps when riding on the wheel. As for the colour choice, with my helmet collection being mostly All Black, it's probably due to me being based in New Zealand!?

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

Ugh.  I had read that the Leatt GPS 5.5 had a pressure point for some people right in the center of the forehead, and it looks like I fall into that category.  :(

I'm starting to recognize that with helmets you're often better off to be able to try it on before purchasing.  Maybe I'll get used to it, but I doubt it.  

I'm guessing the TGS Pass is going to be in my future.  

*Hoping I may have been a little quick to judge.  The helmet is new and the pads haven't had a chance to break-in.  Even after wearing it for 10 minutes inside, I think I perceive a decrease in the pressure I initially felt.  I'm guessing my head shape is slightly more oval than round.  

**started reading reviews and a minor adjustment to the front padding seems to have fixed the issue.  Whew! 

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mezzanine said:

Ugh.  I had read that the Leatt GPS 5.5 had a pressure point for some people right in the center of the forehead, and it looks like I fall into that category.  :(

I'm starting to recognize that with helmets you're often better off to be able to try it on before purchasing.  Maybe I'll get used to it, but I doubt it.  

I'm guessing the TGS Pass is going to be in my future.  

*Hoping I may have been a little quick to judge.  The helmet is new and the pads haven't had a chance to break-in.  Even after wearing it for 10 minutes inside, I think I perceive a decrease in the pressure I initially felt.  I'm guessing my head shape is slightly more oval than round.  

**started reading reviews and a minor adjustment to the front padding seems to have fixed the issue.  Whew! 

Glad you've got it working for you...  If it's harder foam causing the pressure point.  You can press that point with a spoon, just work it in on that spot... :cheers:

• Like 1

I'm thinking about getting the TSG Pass Helmet. There is a store near me that sells them and I might be able to convince them to let me try it on first. I also really like that other helmet, the Scorpion. From the pictures I've seen online, it looks modular, meaning, i can either have it be full face or not, with or without a visor too. I may be wrong, but that's just what I've concluded from This page

2 minutes ago, Esper said:

I'm thinking about getting the TSG Pass Helmet. There is a store near me that sells them and I might be able to convince them to let me try it on first. I also really like that other helmet, the Scorpion. From the pictures I've seen online, it looks modular, meaning, i can either have it be full face or not, with or without a visor too. I may be wrong, but that's just what I've concluded from This page

If the store doesn't let you try it on then they are not worth buying from. They should be encouraging you to try it. Of course, if they do let you and you like it be sure to buy from them rather than dash home and use Amazon to save a few bucks. The store provided you a valuable service and should get your business so they are there for you next time and the next guy who wants a well fiting lid.

I could be wrong but I believe from previous discussion here that the Scorpion chin guard is purely for looks and some protection from the elements and provides little to no real protection in an impact. Have a dig around. 

• Upvote 1

The scorpion helmet is a motorcycle helmet.   Usually way bigger (more padding), harder to hear out of, less cooling (they are designed for 45mph+ for good ventilation)...   I have a nexx motorcycle helmet that is one of there ultra lights.  Its almost as light as a tsg pass, but still hotter and harder to hear out of.

41 minutes ago, that0n3guy said:

The scorpion helmet is a motorcycle helmet.   Usually way bigger (more padding), harder to hear out of, less cooling (they are designed for 45mph+ for good ventilation)...   I have a nexx motorcycle helmet that is one of there ultra lights.  Its almost as light as a tsg pass, but still hotter and harder to hear out of.

Sorry. Thought you were talking about this one which is just a rubber surround held on with magnets:

7 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Sorry. Thought you were talking about this one which is just a rubber surround held on with magnets:

Thats the one I was talking about. And yes, it is a motorcycle helmet. It is not marketed as a full face helmet either, its kind of an in-between. Its a half helm, with a built in visor. and a mask for blocking wind/rain to keep you warm and dry during cold/wet days. Removable for when you feel like going only 15-20 mph on a Harley along the beach in the summer so you can look at the women in bikinis.

I definitely feel more confident riding with a full-faced helmet.  I don't love the fact that the Leatt GPX is a motocross helmet; it's a pound heavier than most skate/BMX/DH helmets.  It doesn't feel heavy, it's just slightly bulkier than I'd prefer.  I wish I had a better idea how it compares to the Giro Switchblade and TSG Pass when it comes to lower speed concussion impact performance.  

Between the large size of the 18S and the motocross helmet, I present a more imposing figure on the road, but I also imagine pedestrians are going to be intimidated, which is something I prefer to avoid when possible.  The pressure point I was experiencing has improved a lot with a pad adjustment, but it's still there.  I may see if I can tweak it some more with the technique mentioned earlier...I have to see if it's amenable.  

I'm not going to be able to wear my oversized goggles with the Leatt, which is a bit disappointing.  It came with a visor that I haven't attached because I don't do trail riding.  

• Like 2

On 6/8/2018 at 11:14 PM, mezzanine said:

I definitely feel more confident riding with a full-faced helmet.  I don't love the fact that the Leatt GPX is a motocross helmet; it's a pound heavier than most skate/BMX/DH helmets.  It doesn't feel heavy, it's just slightly bulkier than I'd prefer.  I wish I had a better idea how it compares to the Giro Switchblade and TSG Pass when it comes to lower speed concussion impact performance.  

Between the large size of the 18S and the motocross helmet, I present a more imposing figure on the road, but I also imagine pedestrians are going to be intimidated, which is something I prefer to avoid when possible.  The pressure point I was experiencing has improved a lot with a pad adjustment, but it's still there.  I may see if I can tweak it some more with the technique mentioned earlier...I have to see if it's amenable.  

I'm not going to be able to wear my oversized goggles with the Leatt, which is a bit disappointing.  It came with a visor that I haven't attached because I don't do trail riding.  

Switchblade has MIPS, which I would really, really look for in any helmet I buy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Switchblade has MIPS, which I would really, really look for in any helmet I buy.

I'm still trying to understand how Leatt's proprietary rotational impact protection compares to MIPS.  The Leatt has these "turbine" inserts that I believe is meant to accomplish the same thing as MIPS.  I may do some reading to see if I can get a better idea of how the two technologies compare.  Here's the marketing blurb on the Leatt:

"Turbines made of an energy absorbing material, are set inside the helmet. This technology has two main advantages, namely the reduction of rotational acceleration to the head and brain and the absorption of energy upon impact at concussion level."

• Reduces up to 30% of head impact at concussion level
  • Reduces up to 40% of rotational acceleration to head and brain

• Like 1

I decided to do some more research on helmet technology, specifically how the Leatt helmet I just bought compares to those using MIPS.  I've been reading motocross message boards in an effort to see if I can short-cut having to do a lot of reading and instead learn what those folks have to say.  A lot of them have had multiple concussions and are more invested in finding the best possible helmet tech for their bikes because of the seriousness of their crashes.  Unfortunately, there isn't the kind of standardized testing I was hoping their might be, beyond the usual certifications.  

The impression I get is that the proprietary systems used by a company called 6D (probably the best) and Leatt and Bell, specifically, are considered a definite tier above MIPS-equipped helmets. 

I've been surprised to read folks suggesting that MIPS is mostly a case of successful marketing and shouldn't be compared to the systems used by 6D/Leatt/Bell.  They don't say MIPS is useless, just that it's not all it's cracked up to be.  They mention that Bell actually bought MIPS, then ended up selling it and going with their own in-house design.  

Take it for what it's worth; it's my read of the consensus opinion of motocross riders and presumes that they actually know what they're talking about.  I know many of us take possible head injuries seriously and wanted to share the results of my research in case anyone is wondering what their consensus is on the best-of-the-best in current helmet tech.  

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1