THE HELMET THREAD

45 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Just got my TSG Pass helmet.  I wasn't sure a small would fit, but I'm surprised it fits snug.  Happy with it so far and doesn't feel hot.  

IMG_1479.jpg

Once your have tested it, can you post some feedback on how well you hear surrounding sounds. I were 50/50 on the pass vs the status model. I ended picking the status due to rear red led built-in. But I am considering to get a pass too. But I have yet to find right size in right colour and at a fair price.

Edited by Unventor
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddiemoy said:

a correct fit is supposed to be snug.  learned that from my motorcycle helmet shopping.  

Yes, I also know that from previous full face helmet's I've bought over the years and just hope this would not have been better in a Medium! If so I will just have to sell it as Brand New and order another one.

14 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Once your have tested it, can you post some feedback on how well you hear surrounding sounds. I were 50/50 on the pass vs the status model. I ended picking the status due to rear red led built-in. But I am considering to get a pass too. But I have yet to find right size in right colour and at a fair price.

I can hear a lot more in the TSG Pass than my motorcycle helmet, the HJC RPHA MAX.  It has cut outs for your ears.  I'm surprised at how much I can hear.  If you are just looking for lights or reflectivity, you can just buy a strip or a flashing LED.  It feels like a proper helmet except it isn't as heavy coming in at only 2.4lbs vs the 3.6lbs for the HJC.

17 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Yes, I also know that from previous full face helmet's I've bought over the years and just hope this would not have been better in a Medium! If so I will just have to sell it as Brand New and order another one.

you can't return it if it doesn't fit?

• Like 1

Yeah, I have a Nexx motorcycle helmet from when I used to ride. Mine is pretty light (for a motocycle helmet) and has good field of view... but ability to hear and ventilation are the issues.  Motorcycle helmets vent well at 40+ mph usually.

10 hours ago, fbhb said:

@eddiemoy great choice on the helmet, I also have one on the way to me right now. Can I ask what your measurements were, as I have heard a number of opinions on how these fit? With my measurement of 58cm coming right on the border line between Medium & Large I opted for the large, so I'm just hoping that it is not too big when it arrives!

I also got the large and for my average size head (I think its average, actually what even is average) but for me it fits quite snugly, I even have earphones in when I put it on, but I do remove the cheek pieces before taking it off otherwise it tries to make the earphones become one with me.

Also that white looks really cool

Edited by Cannings

12 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I can hear a lot more in the TSG Pass than my motorcycle helmet, the HJC RPHA MAX.  It has cut outs for your ears.  I'm surprised at how much I can hear.  If you are just looking for lights or reflectivity, you can just buy a strip or a flashing LED.  It feels like a proper helmet except it isn't as heavy coming in at only 2.4lbs vs the 3.6lbs for the HJC.

you can't return it if it doesn't fit?

I am based in New Zealand and the TSG Pass is coming from Germany, so there would be the added cost of return shipping to pay if I were to send it back. I'm not sure how much that would cost, but I'm guessing it would probably be more expensive than the shipping charge was to send it to New Zealand by the German retailer! All being well, the helmet proves to be a perfect fit for my size/head shape too when it arrives. I'm fairly confident after all the research I did, but without being able to "try before you buy" it's always a gamble.

2 hours ago, Cannings said:

I also got the large and for my average size head (I think its average, actually what even is average) but for me it fits quite snugly, I even have earphones in when I put it on, but I do remove the cheek pieces before taking it off otherwise it tries to make the earphones become one with me.

Also that white looks really cool

As I have just posted above, with a bit of luck, the Large will be a perfect snug fit for me too! What did your measurement come out at in centimeters, with you choosing to go with a Large?

Hi,
Here's how I customized my bike helmet for EUC riding.

1. Placed a mc visor on the front edge.
  2. Drawn the shape on the helmet with a pen.
  3. Monted a double-sided tape on the edge of the helmet (the dark green tape).
  4. Pressed the mc visor tight to the edge and drilled small holes for the cable ties (the light green tape was used to protect the foam from the inside from damage, under the cable ties).
  5. I mounted the GoPro mount following the above method. I placed it on the back side of the helmet so it can also be used with the Gopro Karma grip.

CustomHelmet.jpg.f929b833066d652e25d69cc3616a837b.jpg

The whole set cost me 69 US dollars and the whole operation took 20 minutes of my time.
Regards
Carl

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

Just got my LS2 Subverter Voodoo MX helmet today. Safety is my jam.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078H8XWJN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Overkill, but I feel so safe and comfortable in it I like it. Matches my KS18s colors too!

ls2.jpg

ls2amazon2.jpg

smart! looks sturdy and lots of air flow. i’d like to find that in a little lighter duty about 2 pounds instead of 4. and have little led’s that would grow hair. that would be perfect.

and an exhaust fan out the top.

Edited by novazeus

Yeah it's heavy for an EUC. Like I said, it's overkill, but I'm a total safety nerd. 

Now I bloody well want a white/black TSG Pass too, and the damn thing is available in white in my size. Curse you Amazon!!

I can't stop buying helmets, I have 3 now.

Edit, nevermind, the RSG Pass is not DOT approved. 

Edited by Hatchet

1 minute ago, Hatchet said:

Yeah it's heavy for an EUC. Like I said, it's overkill, but I'm a total safety nerd. 

Now I bloody well want a white/black TSG Pass too, and the damn thing is available in white in my size. Curse you Amazon!!

i rode street motorcycles for like 40k miles over like 3 yrs. in florida and sweating, i’m embarassed how many expensive motorcycle helmets i have. arai corsair v was my favorite. but if i was gonna ride anywhere near automobiles, i wear my old motorcycle helmet, but omg, it would be so hot. the only time i didn’t wear a helmet was bike week at daytona and cruising gulf blvd. 25 mph. a helmet is just too hot going euc slow down here. i’m serious, with all this rechargeable lightweight battery tech, why can’t they make a lightweight full coverage power ventilated helmet specifically for lower speed impacts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hatchet said:

I'm joining your club - I have three helmets now and I don't think that's the end of it.

Nice helmet, and nice mirror too :D  I really no feel naked without mine (the times when I'm not wearing a helmet).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hatchet said:

I used to think DOT or SNELL is the only way to go.  It isn’t.  Do some more research on the ASTM certification that the TSG Pass.  It is intended for downhill, some long boarders go 65mph.  It isn’t by any means an inferior helmet. 

Key is to make sure you don’t reuse a helmet after a high speed crash. Helmets also need to be replaced every few years. They are not intended for multiple impacts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, novazeus said:

i rode street motorcycles for like 40k miles over like 3 yrs. in florida and sweating, i’m embarassed how many expensive motorcycle helmets i have. arai corsair v was my favorite. but if i was gonna ride anywhere near automobiles, i wear my old motorcycle helmet, but omg, it would be so hot. the only time i didn’t wear a helmet was bike week at daytona and cruising gulf blvd. 25 mph. a helmet is just too hot going euc slow down here. i’m serious, with all this rechargeable lightweight battery tech, why can’t they make a lightweight full coverage power ventilated helmet specifically for lower speed impacts.

The TSG Pass is only 2.4lbs.  It also is much cooler.  I have the HJC RPHA MAX modular motorcycle helmet, it is too much for EUC.  TSG Pass is DH certified.  Has the same EPS liner as motorcycle helmets, stays cooler, lighter, and full face!

I love mine.  It feel like a motorcycle helmet but lighter. I looked into the ASTM certification.  It is no slouch.  

12 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

@eddiemoy what is your head size? I generally wear a large, but TSG Pass wear snug I read. Mine is 58sm so it looks from the comments on Amazon that a medium (56-58) is best because the padding is quite adaptable?

I'm a 56cm, so i went with small.  It feels snug which is good, how it is supposed to feel.  My motorcycle helmet feels even more snug.  You can put in more padding, but can't put less.  I would try the medium for you.  It worked out great for me.  Feels great.  Not hot.  

• Like 1

Thanks @eddiemoy I think you're right. I emailed the seller to ask what they think, Amazon returns is pretty painless, but i'd rather have it the first try. Also, being here in the mysterious desolate north (Canada), I'm probably looking at 35% in duties.:eff05cf9bc:

Edited by Hatchet

On 4/19/2018 at 8:40 PM, eddiemoy said:

Just got my TSG Pass helmet.  I wasn't sure a small would fit, but I'm surprised it fits snug.  Happy with it so far and doesn't feel hot.  

IMG_1479.jpg

@eddiemoy @fbhb I have been looking as said earlier on this helmet too. but I kinda this this is a more traffic "friendly" colour,   the acid yellow colour. 

@fbhb have you gotten your new helmet yet ? and how does that fit you ? I am 58ish cm too so i am aiming for large, I got anther TSG helm in that size and it seems to fit quiet good. It is the TSG Status in cyan, (build in neck led red light).

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B077Y88C7N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

I am still extremely happy with my Fox Proframe helmet. It's light-weight but sturdy (BMX downhill certified) and has more airflow than you could want. It's also a MIPS helmet. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Proframe-Helmet-Matte/dp/B06XDVS9V4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525193574&sr=8-3&keywords=fox+proframe+helmet

And while I got it in signal yellow color they also make 'em in finishes that get guys more excited like this matte black version. 

I should add this one which I have had for almost a year. This is a great helmet, extremely light, quality materials, cheap, & "CPSC bike compliant".

Can't beat it for $66.28 CDN

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FQT4U9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted to upgrade to something more robust, but this covers all the bases for a basic full face helmet (I used a Sharpie to black out the Bell logo, which is not just a sticker:efeee20b79:)

bell helmet.png

Edited by Hatchet
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Unventor said:

@fbhb have you gotten your new helmet yet ? and how does that fit you ? I am 58ish cm too so i am aiming for large, I got anther TSG helm in that size and it seems to fit quiet good. It is the TSG Status in cyan, (build in neck led red light).

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B077Y88C7N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&psc=1

@Unventor I am still waiting for my TSG Pass to arrive, so can't give an answer on the fit yet. I will post back to this thread once it gets here, as I am really keen to see if the Large size was the right choice for my 58ish+ cm measurement.

4 hours ago, Hatchet said:

You know, next winter is just around the corner, it may be prudent for me to buy a nice Ruroc now..

The RG-1 comes with the following certifications: EN 1077A, EN 1078 and ASTM F2040Drooling over this design:

RG-1 Ghost

Check this dark chrome version:

3fd384881b57b53af51ec15bc274a1410042b42b_1_500x500.jpg

The badass level are off the charts here people.

@Hatchet I can personally vouch for the Ruroc RG-1's being an awesome choice, as the owner of Two one of which is depicted in the photo I used for my Avatar. They are extremely comfortable light weight, low profile with looks to Kill! The added bonus is that Ruroc currently have an "End Of Season Sale" so you can grab yourself a bargain if you're about to pull the trigger on a new Skid Lid.

• Like 2