THE HELMET THREAD

I have a KS16S on order, so decided it was time to get on board the "better helmet" bandwagon.   A helmet is one item I'm not keen to buy online, really want to try it on first (!).  So I went to my local REI store to try out beefier, possibly full-face protection bike helmets --- the type used for mountain biking and so forth.

I found something there that I hadn't been aware of --- a 'convertible' full-face helmet, the Bell Super 3R MIPS Bike Helmet.  This is the type that has a built-in visor and includes the face protection that juts out from the chin, but the key bit for me is that this chin bar part is removable, allowing it to look like a more normal bike helmet.   My thinking there is that if I'm on the sidewalk and trying to make like "I'm just riding a modest personal mobility device and I'm no danger to pedestrians", then I'm not keen on wearing a helmet that looks like I'm preparing to be shot out of a cannon or perform other death-defying stunts.   But perhaps more often I'll want the full protection the helmet offers.

I intended to buy it there at REI (don't like to be the guy that tries things out in a brick and mortar store and then buys it online) --- but they didn't have it in stock in my size, or at least not the color I thought I was looking for.

So I thought to buy it at REI online, but Amazon has something a bit weird --- this helmet is $230 at REI and at Amazon, except in one particular color (a kind of teal) where it's $161.   For ~$70 my fashion sense isn't all that keen.

Anyway, posting here in case others weren't aware of the option of a mountain bike helmet with a removable chin bar.  Here's the link to the product at Amazon (I don't get a commission or anything, by all means look at REI or elsewhere if interested!):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KXZQPZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

• Like 2

I"ve been looking for a full face helmet.  The Bell Super 3R is missing the DH certification.  I Think the Bell Super DH is probably safer since it has the DH certification.

The few helmets I've been looking at are, S1 Lifer Full Face, TSG Pass, Zero Gravity Vector M5 or M6 and Tripple 8 Downhill Racer...

I can't decide on which to get.  I'm leaning towards the S1 lifer because of the multiple impact certified.  I didn't see anyone mention the S1 anywhere.

• Upvote 2

On 3/24/2018 at 4:47 AM, Pasi said:

I made some tuning one of my helmet. It is not very hot next summer anymore..20180323_213122

It is 90g lighter now. I am not sure it is fully approved by Petzl anymore.

Why would you do that to a helmet.  You might as well not wear one if you are going to destroy the structual integrety of it.  Not sure it will do anything to protect you in the event of a crash

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, brianle said:

I have a KS16S on order, so decided it was time to get on board the "better helmet" bandwagon.   A helmet is one item I'm not keen to buy online, really want to try it on first (!).  So I went to my local REI store to try out beefier, possibly full-face protection bike helmets --- the type used for mountain biking and so forth.

I found something there that I hadn't been aware of --- a 'convertible' full-face helmet, the Bell Super 3R MIPS Bike Helmet.  This is the type that has a built-in visor and includes the face protection that juts out from the chin, but the key bit for me is that this chin bar part is removable, allowing it to look like a more normal bike helmet.   My thinking there is that if I'm on the sidewalk and trying to make like "I'm just riding a modest personal mobility device and I'm no danger to pedestrians", then I'm not keen on wearing a helmet that looks like I'm preparing to be shot out of a cannon or perform other death-defying stunts.   But perhaps more often I'll want the full protection the helmet offers.

I intended to buy it there at REI (don't like to be the guy that tries things out in a brick and mortar store and then buys it online) --- but they didn't have it in stock in my size, or at least not the color I thought I was looking for.

So I thought to buy it at REI online, but Amazon has something a bit weird --- this helmet is $230 at REI and at Amazon, except in one particular color (a kind of teal) where it's $161.   For ~$70 my fashion sense isn't all that keen.

Anyway, posting here in case others weren't aware of the option of a mountain bike helmet with a removable chin bar.  Here's the link to the product at Amazon (I don't get a commission or anything, by all means look at REI or elsewhere if interested!):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KXZQPZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

You may be interested in this post:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I"ve been looking for a full face helmet.  The Bell Super 3R is missing the DH certification.  I Think the Bell Super DH is probably safer since it has the DH certification.

The few helmets I've been looking at are, S1 Lifer Full Face, TSG Pass, Zero Gravity Vector M5 or M6 and Tripple 8 Downhill Racer...

I can't decide on which to get.  I'm leaning towards the S1 lifer because of the multiple impact certified.  I didn't see anyone mention the S1 anywhere.

Don't forget to add the Giro Switchblade to the list. It is DH certified and I remain supremely happy with my purchase of it. Also remember that @Rehab1 was wearing a Bell Super 3R during this big crash and hit the chin pretty hard as part of the fall. He got away with just a small cut above the eye. I personally prefer to see DH certification on a helmet but I don't think the Super 3R is a slouch.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Why would you do that to a helmet.  You might as well not wear one if you are going to destroy the structual integrety of it.  Not sure it will do anything to protect you in the event of a crash

I have many of these helmets. I just tried how light I could make it. It is for workers at buildings against falling bricks. I think crown is not our main problem. I did not make any modification for side, front and back of the helmet.

It is still MUCH more stronger than normal bike helmet.

I have many different kind of helmets (1 skate, 4 bike, 1 snowboard, 2 icehockey, 5 motorbike..), this is 1 more.

Always I am wearing a helmet and other stuff.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Don't forget to add the Giro Switchblade to the list. It is DH certified and I remain supremely happy with my purchase of it. Also remember that @Rehab1 was wearing a Bell Super 3R during this big crash and hit the chin pretty hard as part of the fall. He got away with just a small cut above the eye. I personally prefer to see DH certification on a helmet but I don't think the Super 3R is a slouch.

Justin the person I sold my Msuper V3s+ to over the weekend was wearing a Giro switchblade.  I erroneously thought that the removable chinbar would make it not pass certifications.  But that is only for motorcycle helmets.  I'm looking for the ones that look similar to the group I listed.  I still think it is stronger if it isn't removeable.

23 hours ago, brianle said:

No need to pay full price for the Super 3R and certainly not the older 2R. Amazon prices fluctuate a lot, and they can often be had for $169 or less with free Prime shipping. The Super 2R is about 2-years old and the 3R has been available for more than a year. Bell has also released a newer model: the Bell SuperDH, which is downhill-rated and currently sells for $300.00 on Amazon. The 3R is still a great deal at $170 and costs less (and has better ventilation) than the Switchblade, which is certainly a nice helmet as well.

There are several forum members, including me, who wear the Super 2R or 3R. The Bell Super also has the @Rehab1 seal of approval, so you know it's got to be good. :thumbup: 

Edited by litewave
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

Justin the person I sold my Msuper V3s+ to over the weekend was wearing a Giro switchblade.  I erroneously thought that the removable chinbar would make it not pass certifications.  But that is only for motorcycle helmets.  I'm looking for the ones that look similar to the group I listed.  I still think it is stronger if it isn't removeable.

Was he the guy in your first video from the NYC meet? I saw a dude ride up with a Switchblade and ski goggles and overheard a conversation about the chin bar making it not certifiable. 

Don't forget the MET Parachute. That is a single piece, DH certified, lightweight bike helmet. 

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I definitely give the Bell Super my seal of approval!  I only suffered a small cut above my eye after the helmet impacted the solid asphalt bike trail. The helmet’s chin guard took the brunt of the impact and then the residual forces were absorbed throughout the rest of the helmet.  I believe it saved my life as my brain would not have accepted that magnitude of concussion. My wife thinks the helmet rattled my brain even more. :)

Get a rattlesnakes tail and hide it in the helm. Then ask the wife: about the fall and rattling my brain. You might be right. Do you hear rattling too?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Was he the guy in your first video from the NYC meet? I saw a dude ride up with a Switchblade and ski goggles and overheard a conversation about the chin bar making it not certifiable. 

Don't forget the MET Parachute. That is a single piece, DH certified, lightweight bike helmet. 

Was he on a Msuper?  If yes, probably Justin. 

9 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I definitely give the Bell Super my seal of approval!  I only suffered a small cut above my eye after the helmet impacted the solid asphalt bike trail. The helmet’s chin guard took the brunt of the impact and then the residual forces were absorbed throughout the rest of the helmet.  I believe it saved my life as my brain would not have accepted that magnitude of concussion. My wife thinks the helmet rattled my brain even more. :)

If you had the full face helmet, how did you get a cut above your eye?

23 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

You may be interested in this post:

Rats, wish I had seen this excellent review before I bought mine!  Mea culpa, but I was somewhat on the fence about getting a chin bar option at all, so I'm still content with my decision.  Seeing also that @Rehab1 actually did some empirical crash testing with this unit and gives it a thumbs up makes me feel even better.
Thanks to you both!

2 hours ago, Cannings said:

I have the pass but i'm in the uk so can't really answer your hot weather question lol

Does come with auto windscreen wipers and  has a speedgage left side in the UK special limited collectors pre-order version?

2 hours ago, novazeus said:

my new hat. team obsidian. off ebay. $30. lightweight.

new hat

Recently I've seen too many people get hurt with these types of helmets.  They don't protect the chin or most of your face.  Although in your case, I can see the difficulty in fitting your beard into a full face helmet.  LOL

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Just got my TSG Pass helmet.  I wasn't sure a small would fit, but I'm surprised it fits snug.  Happy with it so far and doesn't feel hot.  

IMG_1479.jpg

@eddiemoy great choice on the helmet, I also have one on the way to me right now. Can I ask what your measurements were, as I have heard a number of opinions on how these fit? With my measurement of 58cm coming right on the border line between Medium & Large I opted for the large, so I'm just hoping that it is not too big when it arrives!

Edited by fbhb

4 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@eddiemoy great choice on the helmet, I also have one on the way to me right now. Can I ask what your measurements were, as I have heard a number of opinions on how these fit? With my measurement coming right on the border line between Medium & Large I opted for the large, so I'm just hoping that it is not too big when it arrives!

I'm 22", so right on the edge of small.  They do supply extra cushions so, going with Large might make sense for you, you just stuff the included extra cushion if it is too big for you.

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

I'm 22", so right on the edge of small.  They do supply extra cushions so, going with Large might make sense for you, you just stuff the included extra cushion if it is too big for you.

@eddiemoy Thanks for the quick reply. Will  have to see when it arrives then and all being well, it will be a good snug fit!

3 minutes ago, fbhb said:

@eddiemoy Thanks for the quick reply. Will  have to see when it arrives then and all being well, it will be a good snug fit!

a correct fit is supposed to be snug.  learned that from my motorcycle helmet shopping.