Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I have just completed the installation, and done a phone call test. Works fine. Have yet to test in windy conditions, but I think it will be rather okay.

But...with a full face helmet...with Bluetooth music/calls....how will you mind the beep

I want to listen to music on my headphones while riding sometimes but I usually end up using only one earbud so I can hear the beep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

But...with a full face helmet...with Bluetooth music/calls....how will you mind the beep

I want to listen to music on my headphones while riding sometimes but I usually end up using only one earbud so I can hear the beep

Well first off I hardly ever listen to music. 

Second I do not ride at top speed ever. and I have set warning at 40 kmh and tilt back at 42 kmh. Once you have enough km on you wheel you don't need to push the limit any more you know when enough is enough. Most of the time I ride at 35ish kmh when I can or maybe slower. only ever so rare I hit the tilt back. Going fast I find really stressful. It is hard to keep eyes on traffic, ground and predict peoples reaction.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

The phone call part would be really nice. It bugs the hell out of me that I have to stop and talk over the speaker-phone to take a call.

You remind me of my wife. ;) She always answers her phone no matter what.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You remind me of my wife. ;) She always answers her phone no matter what.

Well I hardly recieve any calls. But the few I do get aremostly importamt, and from services I can't call back, as they are calling grom hidden numbers. Like hospital appointments booking or test results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the wind noice. It is a nrief ad-hoc mobilephone recording I did today. In the end you see my LS2 FF399 EU Matt black helmet, and my reflective cycle jacket. This is at dusk, losing light as I record.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read all 31 pages of this thread trying to get inspiration! I finally bought the Scorpion Exo and I think it is a very cool helmet, but I just can't get over the feeling of embarrassment I get while wearing it out and about. I realise this is a "me problem" and I should just suck it up and think about my own safety, but I genuinely think it is going to impact my riding hours.

 

I saw someone else mention the POC Artic SL spin and was wondering if anyone else feels like this chin-bar will suffice?

 

https://www.pocsports.com/us/search/?q=artic&lang=en_US&gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaCLPDLaG5BdasNohN9b7EhSHokwYtzX-eFJjjAXrI2Rt4dAbTohzbhoCwVUQAvD_BwE

 

Sorry for moaning!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are worried about the looks I would go for a more open style of helmet (like the one posted above your post, or a MET Parachute or something in that style). I think that POC helmet looks even weirder.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I've read all 31 pages of this thread trying to get inspiration! I finally bought the Scorpion Exo and I think it is a very cool helmet, but I just can't get over the feeling of embarrassment I get while wearing it out and about. I realise this is a "me problem" and I should just suck it up and think about my own safety, but I genuinely think it is going to impact my riding hours.

 

I saw someone else mention the POC Artic SL spin and was wondering if anyone else feels like this chin-bar will suffice?

 

https://www.pocsports.com/us/search/?q=artic&lang=en_US&gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaCLPDLaG5BdasNohN9b7EhSHokwYtzX-eFJjjAXrI2Rt4dAbTohzbhoCwVUQAvD_BwE

 

Sorry for moaning!

I live in Philadelphia and I would give up EUCs before riding around in a dirt bike helmet. I wear a POC with chin guard and that's as far as I will go. I would n't wear a dirt bike helmet when riding my motorcycles. I wear a full-face modular there, but not while riding an EUC. I wear clothes that have pads/kevlar but they look like regular clothes. The POC gives the image of a football or hockey helmet, but your whole face is visible and since the rest of my clothes look normal I appear to be caution but not ridiculous. 

I think you can't have it both ways as far as the public is concerned. You can't expect to wear undisguised  serious motorcycle level protection; yet, be allowed to ride on sidewalks, bike paths, etc. You are basically saying I am riding a vehicle as dangerous as a motorcycle in terms of sustaining injuries. Using the EUC's "unique face-plant" argument doesn't work either. That means if you armored up have a cutoff while riding among pedestrians, you may go flying and crash into them who are unprotected causing serious injuries while your will be okay .. right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jerome said:

I live in Philadelphia and I would give up EUCs before riding around in a dirt bike helmet. I wear a POC with chin guard and that's as far as I will go. I would n't wear a dirt bike helmet when riding my motorcycles. I wear a full-face modular there, but not while riding an EUC. I wear clothes that have pads/kevlar but they look like regular clothes. The POC gives the image of a football or hockey helmet, but your whole face is visible and since the rest of my clothes look normal I appear to be caution but not ridiculous. 

I think you can't have it both ways as far as the public is concerned. You can't expect to wear undisguised  serious motorcycle level protection; yet, be allowed to ride on sidewalks, bike paths, etc. You are basically saying I am riding a vehicle as dangerous as a motorcycle in terms of sustaining injuries. Using the EUC's "unique face-plant" argument doesn't work either. That means if you armored up have a cutoff while riding among pedestrians, you may go flying and crash into them who are unprotected causing serious injuries while your will be okay .. right.

Do you like your POC? Also any chance of linking to some of the normal looking clothes with protection?

 

Thanks!

Edited by Jambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Do you like your POC? Also any chance of linking to some of the normal looking clothes with protection?

 

Thanks!

I do like it. It looks like a skateboard helmet with a thin chin bar. I felt self-conscious at first, but people don't seem to notice the thin bar and just see it as a helmet. I don't have time to find links, but if you goggle "armored hoodies" and armored jeans" you will be on your way. Good luck with you "West Coast Cool" clothing hunt. :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jambo said:

I've read all 31 pages of this thread trying to get inspiration! I finally bought the Scorpion Exo and I think it is a very cool helmet, but I just can't get over the feeling of embarrassment I get while wearing it out and about. I realise this is a "me problem" and I should just suck it up and think about my own safety, but I genuinely think it is going to impact my riding hours.

 

I saw someone else mention the POC Artic SL spin and was wondering if anyone else feels like this chin-bar will suffice?

 

https://www.pocsports.com/us/search/?q=artic&lang=en_US&gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaCLPDLaG5BdasNohN9b7EhSHokwYtzX-eFJjjAXrI2Rt4dAbTohzbhoCwVUQAvD_BwE

 

Sorry for moaning!

As the Op of this thread, I hear you.  I wore my helmet (seen in first few posts) exactly once about a year ago.  I too felt a bit ridiculous/hypocritical riding around pedestrians dressed like I'm ready for a motorcross event.  It adds confusion and fear to an already confused and sometimes scared, general public.  Bear in mind, I rarely ride on public roads, mostly canal tow paths, river walking trails and sea front promenades (board walks), so I'm not in real traffic for very long, if at all.  But that's just my opinion about where/how I ride; I'm not trying to tell others what to do/wear, nor am I critical of it ( I think Marty's outfit looks pretty cool actually).

I've often thought a more inconspicuous bike/snowboard/skateboard helmet modified with a one or two stee/aluminum bars across the chin area (resembling a football helmet a bit) might offer face protection in a face plant (my personal main helmet goal) and still keep the menacing factor down.  The only time I have done a real face plant, it was my chin that contacted the ground and drew blood, If I can prevent than from happening again, then I'm happy.  Any other protection is just a bonus (for me).

Again, just to be clear, I'm passing no judgement or opinion on others' helmet preferences. It's your head, protect it as you see fit.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have been using my LS2 FF399 EU and since I fitted it with a BT comm LS easy ride III (made by Sena) I simply just love it more and more. At start it felt a bit heavy. But now I have adjusted to it and it makes me feel more at ease when riding. 

The flip system of the chinbar is simply brilliant no other word describe it. And sames goes for the EU models antifog pinlock system. I can't hear traffic as good but that is great open cyclelanes. In contested areas I just open the visor like 1 cm (it has a hold possion) that have 2 nenafits. Lets in traffic sounds and vents the helmet.

It might look big, but most people I meet look at in respectly smile. Especially when comming into a shop, and I flip open chinbar and visor, most look as that is enough so no need to take off the helmet. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jambo said:

I've read all 31 pages of this thread trying to get inspiration! I finally bought the Scorpion Exo and I think it is a very cool helmet, but I just can't get over the feeling of embarrassment I get while wearing it out and about. I realise this is a "me problem" and I should just suck it up and think about my own safety, but I genuinely think it is going to impact my riding hours.

 

I saw someone else mention the POC Artic SL spin and was wondering if anyone else feels like this chin-bar will suffice?

 

https://www.pocsports.com/us/search/?q=artic&lang=en_US&gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaCLPDLaG5BdasNohN9b7EhSHokwYtzX-eFJjjAXrI2Rt4dAbTohzbhoCwVUQAvD_BwE

 

Sorry for moaning!

I wear the same helmet commuting and love it for the price/value but it does appear large, albeit not heavy.  Paired with a motorcycle jacket it looks good.  Since most of my miles are on urban streets and bike lanes, I feel perfectly in place, and safe!   Skate helmet and snap on pads for cruising the beach path 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

I wear the same helmet commuting and love it for the price/value but it does appear large, albeit not heavy.  Paired with a motorcycle jacket it looks good.  Since most of my miles are on urban streets and bike lanes, I feel perfectly in place, and safe!   Skate helmet and snap on pads for cruising the beach path 😎

Sorry did you mean the Exo or the POC Artic appeared large?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jambo said:

Sorry did you mean the Exo or the POC Artic appeared large?

EXO

20190308_105637.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lazer Revolution FF helmet arrived. 

This is a really nice helmet for euc'ing. Lot's of ventilation, lightweight, and a certified removable chin guard.

Was lucky too. Normally they sell for about 200 Euro, but for some reason this color combo (and only this one) was available for 88 Euro :D. That's a steal.

 

 

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4053.JPG

IMG_4055.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to add my penny to your conversation guys...

I'm only very newbie trying to figure out what is what in the unicycle world, so I'm trying to collect the gear I think I like, but not necessarily knowing, whether my choices are correct  or not.

So.., I did like the Met Parachute Helmet...

For some reason I were looking for something light, not too bulky and first of all - full face.

What I don't like too much, it's the chin bar heavily looking protection in most of the helmets.

The one I've mentioned ticked the boxes for my preference.

It's been thought to protect my head for the beginner's first falls, while going out and learning.

This is why I went for used, I paid £20, so no matter whether it's good choice or not, I can throw the helmet away, if don't like it...

Any way what I like about it, it will probably do its job for now, and maybe further too.

But mostly the chin bar.., it is looking soft, and "transparent" so idea is, it won't obstruct my beginner's view,while learning ...

I'm not so sure, how it'll cope regarding street riding?

But at the moment I don't need too worry, with my kitchen break dance hahahahaaaa  ;)

SmartSelect_20190317-122600_eBay.jpg

SmartSelect_20190317-122615_eBay.jpg

Edited by PogArt Artur
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 12:50 PM, PogArt Artur said:

What I don't like too much, it's the chin bar heavily looking protection in most of the helmets.

 

Same here

On 3/17/2019 at 12:50 PM, PogArt Artur said:

It's been thought to protect my head for the beginner's first falls, while going out and learning.

This is why I went for used, I paid £20, so no matter whether it's good choice or not, I can throw the helmet away, if don't like it...

Any way what I like about it, it will probably do its job for now, and maybe further too.

 

My head is worth more than 20 pounds to me, but it's not mine in your helmet, so do as you please :D 

On 3/17/2019 at 12:50 PM, PogArt Artur said:

But mostly the chin bar.., it is looking soft, and "transparent" so idea is, it won't obstruct my beginner's view,while learning ...

Can you explain how a chin bar obstructs your view? My eyes are a bit higher in my head :D 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Same here

My head is worth more than 20 pounds to me, but it's not mine in your helmet, so do as you please :D 

Can you explain how a chin bar obstructs your view? My eyes are a bit higher in my head :D 

No, I can not explain that hahaaaa ;) - top secret ;)

Cheers for comment ;)

The helmet hasn't arrived yet, keep waiting to check it out.

Obviously the Met helmets are less than £200 brand new...

Not knowing whether I like it or not, I did prefer to pay £20 and not be bothered.

Best regards ir_fuel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×