THE HELMET THREAD

On 15/12/2017 at 2:02 AM, Smoother said:

Ok, so my helmet arrived shortly after that post.  It's quite a looker.  Not particularly luxurious fittings.  Size seems about right.  Very tight in the cheek pads, but I'm told that's normal, and they give way slightly over time. 

Goggles fit well, and my glasses fit both, so that's good.

They lied when they said there was room for speakers, although they didn't actually say, "speakers".  Bluetooth is what they said.  What is "bluetooth" ? it has no common physical properties. one bluetooth device can be 100 times bigger than another. In this respect its no more than a concept.

Anyway, I took it apart, and carved out some foam, to make room for the speakers I salvaged from my old headphones.  Some polystyrene foam was not well stuck to a piece of plastic, so I used some contact cement to fix it. Speakers fit well after I took the backs off.  Put it all back together "dry" and it looks stock.  Two of four screws that hold the inner shell in place, were never installed.  I will finish the wiring, once I find some thin wires to extend what is there already.  I found a place to keep the module that houses the control panel.  This was the outside of one speaker pod, but the pod is gone, and it needs a different location.  I found a location on the right side of the chin guard.  I can lead the wires inside through the existing ventilation hole, and do no damage.

image-XL.jpg

Inside cheek/earpiece of the lining.  Hole is where chin strap goes.

image-XL.jpg

Old headphone speaker lined up for trial fit.

image-XL.jpg

Marked for cutting.

image-XL.jpg

Cut and trial fit.

image-XL.jpg

The raised surround around the hole has to go, it's taking up valuable room.

image-XL.jpg

Raised edge removed (placed on white foam for the picture)

image-XL.jpg Front of the speaker, peering through the hole.  Chin strap has to run in front of this too.  I may make the hole bigger to maximize sound throughput, and compensate partly for the padded strap muffling the sound.

image-XL.jpg

Air vent recess where speaker control module will go.

image-XL.jpg

Trial fit.  Yeah, it's not vertical anymore, but it falls naturally to hand.

what size of goggles do ou use for that helmet? im desperatly looking for some goggles that will fit my helmet and its about the same as yours

6 hours ago, Shad0z said:

what size of goggles do ou use for that helmet? im desperatly looking for some goggles that will fit my helmet and its about the same as yours

Just your basic skiing/snowboarding goggles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Just your basic skiing/snowboarding goggles.

oh ._. Ok  i have some smaller googles right now actually but they dont cover it completely so cold air flies in and gets concentrated to my eyes :furious:

i just want to make sure i dont buy a new pair for nothing

On 3/1/2018 at 2:38 AM, Shad0z said:

that thing will go into 1000 different peices and then your head hits the asphalt...

That is a lot of pieces, but hopefully it will provide some protection for euc purposes...

Brand received bad press in 2008, but by 2012 helmet was being sold at Revzilla (reviews seemed okay at the time). We'll know after I faceplant. :wacko:

2 minutes ago, RayRay said:

That is a lot of pieces, but hopefully it will provide some protection for euc purposes...

Brand received bad press in 2008, but by 2012 helmet was being sold at Revzilla (reviews seemed okay at the time). We'll know after I faceplant. :wacko:

At EUC speeds it will be just fine. It's rated for highway use, which anticipates highway speed crashes. 30 mph or less is nothing.  You're basically trying to prevent a date between the pavement and your face.  Swipe left, swipe left.

25 minutes ago, RayRay said:

That's an awesome price and a nice looking helmet.  It's DOT rated and your supposed to discard bike helmets anyway if they get any damage.  Which is not very likely.

the helmet i got is actually from a pretty descent brand but a guy just sold it for 20 dollar to me. He could probably have gotten a lot more money for it

i was lucky. And it was brand new not even a scratch! 

Edited by Shad0z

TSG website

I just bought my first helmet. I picked a helmet from fron TSG that is called TSG Status solid cyan. You can filter on website by searching on 'status'

I picked this due to I don't expect to be fast driving as I am commuting in city area on bicycle lanes. To me it is important to be protected but also to be seen. This helmet has built in red less light and have reflective logos printer on it. Maybe someone else find this as a good tip for their needs. As for buing they can be found on Amazon and other websites to and of course on the above site. TSG has many other models to in case you look for different style

Edited by Unventor
Spelling correction. Org post fast drinking. Edited to fast driving
  • Like 1

100% agree with helmet wear. There should be no expense spared when it comes to safety gear

I a full face POC helmet from Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NLNGSCC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pSgOAbPY4M5G2

Not MIPS rated but solid and light enough to handle EUC speeds. 

Just modded it with some El wire as well to help with 'being seen' at night. 

similar to this : 

• Like 3

wait... i need goggles. . .

damn it :mellow:

i just need to find some goggles that dont have a little gap 

i have one pair and they have a gap and they just end up concentrating the air directly to my eyes :furious:

18 minutes ago, Herbas said:

One thing I realised only after receiving this helmet: it really helps to have the glass face shield as vertically wide as possible. With this helmet (and probably majority of other helmets too) it takes quite an extra effort to see your EUC pedals and battery status. You basically have to always blind-step on your EUC, so it's a thing to consider if you're not 100% comfortable doing that.

That's interesting.  I've only worm my full face helmet once.  I can't remember if seeing the pedals was a problem.  IF I  ever put it on again, I'll check it out.

Good observation/warning.

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

That's interesting.  I've only worm my full face helmet once.  I can't remember if seeing the pedals was a problem.  IF I  ever put it on again, I'll check it out.

Good observation/warning.

Have you not ridden in the uk in the last 2 months then? I opened my visor to wipe the cold tears from my eyes this morning and got blasted by cold air so much I just let the tears flow after that lol!

15 hours ago, Herbas said:

it takes quite an extra effort to see your EUC pedals and battery status. You basically have to always blind-step on your EUC, so it's a thing to consider if you're not 100% comfortable doing that.

hmm. My helmet it is as easy as just looking down. I think it depends wich helmet you get

mine is very easy yo look around

definetly important to get a helmet that has a wide fov

On 3/19/2018 at 10:35 AM, Cannings said:

Have you not ridden in the uk in the last 2 months then? I opened my visor to wipe the cold tears from my eyes this morning and got blasted by cold air so much I just let the tears flow after that lol!

I was riding this weekend with the snow falling, and a few weeks back during the real "Beats from the east".

IMG_1029

In my urban, sidewalk mostly slowish riding, I feel weird wearing a full blown helmet.  I do wear a hat though; does that count? :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Smoother said:

I was riding this weekend with the snow falling, and a few weeks back during the real "Beats from the east".

In my urban, sidewalk mostly slowish riding, I feel weird wearing a full blown helmet.  I do wear a hat though; does that count? :D

Lol I like the fact we can see exactly where the snow smacked you in the face :P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I don't have a visor... Other than that though, yours looks as sturdy as my new helmet...

The+lack+of+punctuation+made+my+brain+hu

I also see you got some new glasses! 

• Like 2