THE HELMET THREAD

1 hour ago, RayBanMonster said:

Good luck my friend, I wish you wisdom and safety

I wish you the same. Agreed or not,  your point of view on safety is valuable and valued by your fellow riders. Stay true to yourself and you don't have to convince me or anyone else. Boa Viagem 🙂👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lutalo said:

I wish you the same. Agreed or not,  your point of view on safety is valuable and valued by your fellow riders. Stay true to yourself and you don't have to convince me or anyone else. Boa Viagem 🙂👍

🙂👍

Understood...I may be wrong but  ultimately... Im a speed freak , we do it because we love it. x

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback @Unventor , I'm curious what the differences is between the pinlock system the EU version has and the system they included in the US version.  Both seem to have sun visors so...not sure what the difference is but I guess I'll have to research it or email them.

Depending on the answer it might be worth it to buy the EU version over the US version but right now I think i'm leaning more towards the fox proframe or bell super 3r since I live in California and it doesn't get much colder than 50-60 degrees here in the orange county/LA area (at least at the times I ride)

13 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

i'm leaning more towards the fox proframe or bell super 3r since I live in California and it doesn't get much colder than 50-60 degrees here in the orange county/LA area (at least at the times I ride)

I like the Demon helmets. I think they are a great value Overall, but the consumer feedback seems to suggest that they run small for my 62-63cm coconut (with hair). The Giro Switchblade MIPS,  and the Bell Trans 9 offer sizes up to 63 cm fitments. I was leaning toward the Bell Full 9, but I think I can do better on the price/value side of things.

Edited by Lutalo

5 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

Thanks for the feedback @Unventor , I'm curious what the differences is between the pinlock system the EU version has and the system they included in the US version.  Both seem to have sun visors so...not sure what the difference is but I guess I'll have to research it or email them.

Depending on the answer it might be worth it to buy the EU version over the US version but right now I think i'm leaning more towards the fox proframe or bell super 3r since I live in California and it doesn't get much colder than 50-60 degrees here in the orange county/LA area (at least at the times I ride)

Pinlock is a secondary removable layer with a silicone seal between the outer and the secondary visor. The secondary visor is very flexible and is locked in place between 2 pin on the outer visor, hench it's name. It is widely use on many brands here in EU. On the US it is a surface treatment only. The superior in Pinlock is you can buy a new inner visor as clear, smoked, iridionized or yellow tinit. Similar to shifting glasses on bike/runners glasses or ski goggles. The reason for it to work is similar to double glazed windows. The wind chilling of outer visor do not affect the inner visor as much so the moisture do not condensate on the visor as easy/fast so it gets vented out more effectively.

@Heyzeus check this video you see what I tried to describe. 

Generic video:

LS2 brand:

Edited by Unventor
Found video link of how to mount Pinlock visor. Other brand of helmet, but similar nevertheless.

I found a way to mount my head and rear light package from Magicshine (MJ-902BC) on my LS2 FF399 helmet.

So my plan is to commute to work first time with this new setup. As it is dark in the morning and dusk/dark when I am going home I am also going to test if I can get some useable video with a clip mounted cam on my backpack.

So what weather forecase suggest to me in my area  only Monday and friday offer somewhat sutiable weather, winds, temperature and raid/snow-fall wise. By Friday I should have my new reflective  backpack and jacket. Plus expireance of videoing darkness riding.

Plans, plans,plans let's see if they come together.

Update: I need a better way for me to mount my camera. And maybe get myself a selphystick. So unfurtunatly no useable videophotage today. 😩

Edited by Unventor

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, Lutalo said:

I like the Demon helmets. I think they are a great value Overall, but the consumer feedback seems to suggest that they run small for my 62-63cm coconut (with hair). The Giro Switchblade MIPS,  and the Bell Trans 9 offer sizes up to 63 cm fitments. I was leaning toward the Bell Full 9, but I think I can do better on the price/value side of things.

You might want to consider the Bell Super DH, it has the removable chin bar but has all the same certifications as the bell full 9 and has the newer MIPS spherical whatever a thingy.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/super-dh-mips

One of the comments on the video:

"Hi I would like to know if the certification on a full face helmet is a tougher certification than this bell dh. Does this bell just complies with a basic certification for dh. In other words do I get the same protection as a full face DH? Thanks and keep the reviews coming. "

The reviewers reply: 

"You do. For example, the safety certifications satisfied by Bell's top of the line carbon full face, the Full-9, has the following certs:
ASTM F1952-00, ASTM F2032, CE EN1078, CPSC Bicycle

The Super DH has
ASTM F1952-00, ASTM F2032, CE EN1078, CPSC Bicycle

So yes, you allegedly do, although that of course would depend on you wearing the chinbar. Another consideration is that the tests for a helmet to comply with a given cert likely don't include every scenario possible, so a helmet with MIPS and another without might qualify for the same certs. That's why that's not the only thing you should look at, and why I think the MIPS Spherical in this helmet take it above and beyond everything else other than 6D's helmets. This one also has a chin-bar though, where as 6D's ATB-1T does not.

Best, Dan at Fanatik"

So you might want to give this helmet a look, this has replaced the bell super 3r and giro switchblade on my list and if it's just as safe as the proframe then I don't see why not get this over a proframe since you have the newer more advanced mips system and a removable chin bar for those times when your tooling around at slow speeds. 

Not sure how it would compare safety wise to a dedicated motorcycle helmet like the LS2 though for EUC use cases.  Like would this helmet offer better concussion and face protection in a EUC accident not involving a vehicle whereas a motorcycle helmet would offer better protection in accidents involving a vehicle but not be as good concussion/head protection in the instances where you get a wobble going 20 mph and faceplant?

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

So you might want to give this helmet a look, this has replaced the bell super 3r and giro switchblade on my list and if it's just as safe as the proframe then I don't see why not get this over a proframe since you have the newer more advanced mips system and a removable chin bar for those times when your tooling around at slow speeds.

Thanks for the info. I will give it a look. Honestly, removable chinbars were not super high on my priority list because I couldn't really imagine a situation where I would remove it instead of the entire helmet.

Peeling off the entire prophylactic seems to take about as much time as detaching a chinbar. Not yet convinced the chinbar advantage is an actual advantage unless you want to hide a balding top from the general public :D. but you never know,  right?:)

Edited by Lutalo

14 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

You might want to consider the Bell Super DH

Apparently, my choices are somewhat limited by my large coconut. This one stops at large (up to 62cm). I need one that will accommodate up to 63. Great helmet though, $300 is a good price/value for all the tech embedded in this coconut prophylactic. Thanks for the suggestion. ☺👍

Edited by Lutalo

if you can get your hands on one at a local bike shop you might want to see if you can give the largest one a try.  I measured my head at 56 cm and yet the small had enough room for me to need to use the ratchet tightening dial to tighten it down a little still.

From their size chart I should have been a medium but small fit me fine.  Alternative option is I measured my head poorly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Apparently, my choices are somewhat limited by my large coconut. This one stops at large (up to 62cm). I need one that will accommodate up to 63. Great helmet though, $300 is a good price/value for all the tech embedded in this coconut prophylactic. Thanks for the suggestion. ☺👍

Damn, someone with even more fat in the head, my noggin girth stops at a mere 62cm. This of course means that buying a "one size fits all" cap or hat, is a study in "fits all but me".

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Damn, someone with even more fat in the head, my noggin girth stops at a mere 62cm. This of course means that buying a "one size fits all" cap or hat, is a study in "fits all but me".

Sure it fits it just look funny and... Okej it does not fit😉

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Scatcat said:

:D:D:D. My head's not fat. It's just fluffy :efee8319ab:👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

if you can get your hands on one at a local bike shop you might want to see if you can give the largest one a try.  I measured my head at 56 cm and yet the small had enough room for me to need to use the ratchet tightening dial to tighten it down a little still.

From their size chart I should have been a medium but small fit me fine.  Alternative option is I measured my head poorly.

Yeah. That's pretty much my MO; narrow down my selection and then find them in brick and mortar shops for try-ons before buying. 

41 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

:D:D:D. My head's not fat. It's just fluffy :efee8319ab:👍

I am so looking forward to fluffy picture 😉

• Like 1

Ended up ordering a Bell Full 9 (BF9), but I went with the 2018, because the prices are better and the value is good. While the BF9 is replacing the Bell-branded divers helmet carried over to EUC-riding from my crotchrocket adventures (200 mph club, Busa boy for life. Yeah! 💪😉👍), I expect my recently purchased BF9 to soon be demoted to a 2nd string player because it strikes me as more of a winter helmet. Based on the consumer reviews I don't see me using it this summer. That is where the Bell Super DH (SDH) suggested by @Heyzeus comes in for the save. It's much cooler; 19 vents around the helmet vs 10 for the BF9, lighter; 850 grams vs 1050 grams, comes in red; my favorite color, and has a detachable chinguard so I can drink a cup of coffee without removing my helmet. I am leaning toward the SDH as my summer-time ride go-to cranium prophylactic.

Basically, I just signed my Scotty Pippin; the BF9, but the SDH will be my Micheal Jordan to complete the championship package. 

51qlaE7yIaL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Edited by Lutalo

8 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am so looking forward to fluffy picture 😉

:D:D I wouldn't dare. I look even scarier than normal because of this cold that still has me chained to the house with limited human contact in an effort to avoid infecting others. I'm starting to think my wife secretly works for the CDC :ph34r:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lutalo said:

:D:D I wouldn't dare. I look even scarier than normal because of this cold that still has me chained to the house with limited human contact in an effort to avoid infecting others. I'm starting to think my wife secretly works for the CDC :ph34r:

Chained to the house because of cold = face to scare small children with?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Chained to the house because of cold = face to scare small children with?

:D Exactly. Little better now. But my eyes were so red that all I would've needed were a pair of horns upon my nut to permanently scar the poor kiddies. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lutalo said:

has a detachable chinguard so I can drink a cup of coffee without removing my helmet.

@Lutalo So, just a word of input, I tried on the super DH the other day and found it too be well fitting, nice view without blocking my peripheral vision and quite comfortable but the chin guard took me about ~5 - 10 seconds to take on and off (took about 15 times of taking it on and off at the store to get the process down), it's not like the LS2 chinguard that just flips up out of the way.  That said, I feel like it's a helmet more that you would have the chinguard on when commuting and then maybe not have the chin guard on if you were just tooling around in the parking lot during lunch hour at low speed or in a park at a leisurely pace.

If you hope to be at a stop light somewhere, take off the chin guard, take a drink from your cup of coffee, then put the chin guard back on, I think you might find that frustrating.  But if you just want to leave your helmet on to keep your head warm during an early morning ride while stopped at a local coffee shop then the removable chin guard could be great.

As for the bell full 9, if you are looking for a winter helmet too, then the LS2 valiant as shown on here earlier by @Unventor or a similar style helmet like the shark evo-one 2 or evoline 3 might be a good winter helmet if you don't mind the extra weight.  I haven't tried one on but I rather like the functionality of it.  However, I feel for my main purpose of riding around campus a motorcycle helmet may be overkill and draw too much attention from campus police.  Plus, it's over double the weight of the fox proframe which I found my self surprised by the weight of. (Though I imagine that's because I don't ride motorcycles and had never worn anything other than a trail helmet before, i'm sure one could adjust to the weight quickly and it wouldn't be a big deal once they got used to it.) 

So if the weight is not an issue those other helmets would keep your head warm during DC's freezing winters while still allowing you to take a drink of that cup of coffee and then the super DH would be cooler and better vented for the hot humid summers DC has.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

If you hope to be at a stop light somewhere, take off the chin guard, take a drink from your cup of coffee, then put the chin guard back on, I think you might find that frustrating. 

Thanks, dude. When writing so much nuance is sometimes lost in translation. It appears that I failed to convey the sarcasm intended in my statement about the detachable chinguard :D:D

Yeah, in reality I am still on the same page as I was when I mentioned it in earlier conversations; still find it hard to imagine a real need to detach a chinguard. Its a great feature. But, necessary :confused1: 

It's one of those things that will require living with a helmet with this feature for me to ascertain it's value. 

21 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

As for the bell full 9, if you are looking for a winter helmet too, then the LS2 valiant as shown on here earlier by @Unventor or a similar style helmet like the shark evo-one 2 or evoline 3 might be a good winter helmet if you don't mind the extra weight.  I

I am from the motorcycle world. Used my Bell Star for riding EUCs for two years. Although I was in love with it for crotchrocket launching, I never got used to wearing it in this application. Superior protection to be sure, but also bulky, poor visibility, heavy, etc.

The BF9 I purchased is not the lightest of DH/BMX helmets, but at 2.4lbs it is literally half the weight of my motorcycle helmet and offers great protection. The Bell SDH shaves weight down an additional pound from the BF9 and adds ten more vents for summer riding.

I will support the BF9 with a nice warm balaclava when needed. I have worn them for years. The one pictured below is an excellent choice for under-helmet and you can cop it on Amazon for about $12. It's thin but keeps your coconut warm in the coldest weather. Along with a good thermal base layer, I will be snug as a bug in typical to sub-typical DC winter temps.

IMG_20190110_080705.jpg

Edited by Lutalo

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

IMG_20190110_080705.jpg

Hmm didn't you fluffy head have a cold? And you had this laying around 😊

Now you know why your wife banished you to the basement. Pure punishment for not taking care of yourself 😏 BTW hope you feel better today. 😉

Ehh cough I might have forgotten to mention that I have been home from work too... Due to a sore throat.. 🤕

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Hmm didn't you fluffy head have a cold? And you had this laying around 😊

Now you know why your wife banished you to the basement. Pure punishment for not taking care of yourself 😏 BTW hope you feel better today. 😉

Ehh cough I might have forgotten to mention that I have been home from work too... Due to a sore throat.. 🤕

:D. It's that season. Feel better. I'm still locked up but improving. The Balaclava in the photo is one that I ordered for my son who rides his bike to school; but, of course, I own a few. They come in real handy. My sinuses in their current condition, would cause suffocation in a balaclava right now.:D

• Like 2