THE HELMET THREAD

This helmet is growing bigger and bigger on my decision choice list after I tested it on my head today.

https://ls2helmets.com/se/urban/valiant

Right now it seems to be the most versatile and adaptable choice without having a NASA budget. Follow link and check out pictures, they are too many to post here.

My price tag at local dealer is 3000ish sek or 335ish $ or 295ish €

Edited by Unventor

2 hours ago, KevinvdV said:

I just bought myself a bicycle helmet :) I don't like helmets at all, but now that my monowheel can go up to 40km/h I figured I needed one...

Went for this one: https://www.coros.com/omni.php

I like that model because of the LED on the back, and the bone conduction audio (eager to test it out :D)

Clearly better than nothing. But as far as my experience goes, people tend to gear up after their first crash at speed. If they don't actually stop riding. The impact forces and sheer feeling of being a snowflake in the wind if your EUC fails you are scary stuff.

And the consequences are nothing to sneer at. I do remember one in the group of Gothenburg riders that stopped riding after having to have four plates of titanium inserted into his face to rebuild it after a face plant. A helmet much like the omni saved his life, but he had fractures in his cheek, over his brow, broken nose, and broken jaw. Before surgery he looked like he had studied an elephants foot intimately as the elephant stepped on him. In the end he had to promise his kids not to ride anymore...

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Unventor said:

This helmet is growing bigger and bigger on my decision choice list after I tested it on my head today.

Right now it seems to be the most versatile and adaptable choice without having a NASA budget. Follow link and check out pictures, they are too many to post here.

A bit heavy for my taste, the LS2 Pioneer MX436 is 400g lighter, and heavy enough for me at 1300g. I though about a modular helmet, but decided against it because of weight. Also I love to have a helmet peak, to shade me from sun and rain.

Edited by Scatcat

15 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Sorry to bring back serious. Do you mind listing you helmet park? And maybe add a small pro/con to each since you got more helmet (or I expect that from you vids)

I'm going to create a safety gear update video where I'll discuss everything I'm currently using including the multiple helmets. Probably after a few more weeks, because I want to have more time wearing the current equipment.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm going to create a safety gear update video where I'll discuss everything I'm currently using including the multiple helmets. Probably after a few more weeks, because I want to have more time wearing the current equipment.

I am looking forward to that. I just think I might rush this a bit as next shipment are going up in price about 10%. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Modular helmets are too heavy.  I have the HJC RPHA Max for my motorcycle.  I can't wear it when riding EUC.  Also Motorcycle helmets are made for one crash only.  You are not supposed to reuse it after a crash.  But not sure if you should reuse it considering we are crashing at much slower speeds.  

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Scatcat said:

The LS2 is made out of KPA Kinetic Polymer Alloy, which is lighter and stronger than normal PC. It was one thing that sold it to me, the reasonably low weight for a motorcycle helmet.

I can only find one item about KPA an "exclusive" product to LS2 Helmets.  I don't buy it.  You don't have to have a marketing degree (which I do) to know marketing spin when you hear it.  I'm calling bull shit on this one.  It's plastic, pure and simple, but which one? But, I'm prepared to be schooled by an independent, knowledgeable, scholarly, source.;)

12 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

These helmets are designed to be worn until you crash in it. The internal styrofoam on this style helmet is what actually protects the noggin, not the outer plastic, fiberglass, abs, Kevlar, or whatever the outer shell is comprised of. I'd say good on you for only wearing it once, as with your mods, you've probably rendered your helmet close to useless (regarding protecting your noggin from a hard impact.) The holes you cut out of the styrofoam have structurally compromised the integrity of that helmet, which as you know has great reviews. I applaud anyone who wishes to add a helmet. It's always a good decision to lid up, and of course everyone has their preferences with cost, comfort, and build quality. I feel very safe with mine compared to what I was using. But yeah, if the internal styrofoam was cut or cracked, I wouldn't wear it either...😁

I only cut the foam around my ears.  At worst, my ears might take an extra beating if there is a significant impact in that area, but far less than if I were wearing an open face, old school "pudding bowl"  helmet with no protection over the ears at all. And if it doesn't matter what the shell is made of, why don't they just use yogurt carton plastic and save another $20?

Edited by Smoother

58 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Modular helmets are too heavy.  I have the HJC RPHA Max for my motorcycle.  I can't wear it when riding EUC.  Also Motorcycle helmets are made for one crash only.  You are not supposed to reuse it after a crash.  But not sure if you should reuse it considering we are crashing at much slower speeds.  

This is obviously very personal, but I was concerned about buying a modular helmet because of comments like yours. Turns out that my 'heavy' Scorpion 950 is not uncomfortable at all. I've ridden with it for over 5 continuous hours with zero issues.

So for others of you who may be considering a modular motorcycle helmet, don't be immediately put off from statements about them being too heavy. I don't think it's a given.

• Like 3

I find my motorcycle helmet difficult to use for EUC riding. I loved it when my main hobby was speeding along my favorite stretches of abandoned highway crouched behind the windscreen upon my Suzuki Hyabusa at 180+ mph. However, for a hobby as tame as EUC riding it feels like a boulder on my head. It seems to affect my riding ability as well: my sense of balance, visibility,  etc. Yet, until a strap mishap, I wore it everytime I hit the streets of DC on my wheel and managed pretty well. I just never felt like I got used to wearing it in the wheel application. When I have a motorcycle (sold my Busa a couple of years ago and haven't yet picked up another crotchrocket. I think I am holding out for a lightning;)🤔). Although I have never worn either a modular or half face, I decided to order a modular off of Amazon, but cancelled it.  Instead, I took a trip to the local Cycle Gear to try one on for size. Glad I did. It sucked. It was even heavier than my fullface. Tried on a bunch of helmets: some felt better than mine and I thought I might be able to stand them, and others were worse. 

I then went to a local bicycle shop and tried on some helmets. Suffice it to say that I am now thinking of a MIPS equipped road bike style helmet. They are light; usually weighing approximately 1.5 lbs, and sometimes even less. They are strong and protect the coconut very well without looking obtrusive and feeling burdensome upon the neck, They will keep you cool in the summer - the best full face helmets will likely fall short in this regard at EUC speeds in hot, extremely humid DC summer conditions; mine has. Finally, good bike helmets are a lot cheaper than good motorcycle helmets. 

There may be a good case for choosing a simple bicycle helmet for our hobby. Namely, Virginia Tech and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety research collaboration. The collab involved conducting safety tests, in June 2018, of several helmet brands. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/new-tests-show-some-bike-helmets-protect-better-than-others

Their findings were interesting, for example; "road" bike helmets in general performed better than "urban" or "skate" style helmets despite the thicker shells of the latter. Of 30 helmets tested only four helmets received a five star rating. All were "road" helmets, and all were MIPS equipped. They were the:

1. Bontrager Ballista MIPS

2. Garneau Raid MIPS

3. Bell Stratus MIPS

4. Specialized Chamonix MIPS

I look forward to some fun and interesting riding adventures in the coming warmer months. My safety equipment has become a big part of my seasonal wardrobe shifts because EUC riding has become a big part of my lifestyle. In the end, I am thinking of copping one of four helmets listed above. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

So after reading thru most of this thread, I've decided on the fox proframe.  It finally came in today and it fit my head well, however the helmet looks bulky.  I will likely send it back and try to find something that is smaller.  anyone have any suggestions as to which helmet would be smaller (as in not as bulky looking)? would the Ruroc rg1-dx be a good choice? smaller than the fox proframe maybe? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smoother said:

I can only find one item about KPA an "exclusive" product to LS2 Helmets.  I don't buy it.  You don't have to have a marketing degree (which I do) to know marketing spin when you hear it.  I'm calling bull shit on this one.  It's plastic, pure and simple, but which one? But, I'm prepared to be schooled by an independent, knowledgeable, scholarly, source.;)

Of course it is marketing hype to some extent. But while it is plastic, it is not so simple. Carbon fibre and composites are mostly plastic too, which doesn't tell the whole story. In this case it is aramid encased in polymer. Or in other words kevlar (or kevlar-type fibre) in polymer, which to me seems a lot better than just ABS or PC. But I can be wrong.

However that is, it still has all the requisite certifications and is pretty light for a helmet of the type.

56 minutes ago, JSUN said:

So after reading thru most of this thread, I've decided on the fox proframe.  It finally came in today and it fit my head well, however the helmet looks bulky.  I will likely send it back and try to find something that is smaller.  anyone have any suggestions as to which helmet would be smaller (as in not as bulky looking)? would the Ruroc rg1-dx be a good choice? smaller than the fox proframe maybe? 

Neither the Giro Switchblade or the Bell MIPS R3 look very bulky, even though they're full face. Of course that depends on your definition of bulky... Just lookswise I think the Bell looks awesome, one of the best. It looks graceful in some undefinable way.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Unventor said:

It might be a good helmet. At least I am not going to say the opposite.

However, I thought at first a bike helmet would suffice. I do not have same opinion anymore. Main reason for this is, impact between 20 kmh to 40kmh are very different. But anything unforseen can lead much serious forces, spruce by pothole physics impact or trying to avoid a animal or kid can divert you or others towards you. So oppersite cyclist speed or car or MC you need to add that too.

So I decided to upgrade to a flip up full face mc helmet. My first wheel could do just about 30kmh, my maid wheel now is set to 40/42kmh warning/forced tiltback. 

I know I am a pussy, I do not dare to push my luck at 50kmh. It is that simple. I am too old to test because I can I must....not anymore. That said I am constant fighting not to move my comfort zone and do a @Hunka Hunka Burning Love.

I like EUC riding too much 😉

This helmet will give me more visibility, amd has music in it without blocking my ears. That's what I mainly wanted 😉

Head protection is the most important, I am aware of that. But this helmet has great reviews, and as I said I don't feel comfortable in helmets, let alone full face helmet. 

More comfort => better riding style => safer trips (I guess) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Of course it is marketing hype to some extent. But while it is plastic, it is not so simple. Carbon fibre and composites are mostly plastic too, which doesn't tell the whole story. In this case it is aramid encased in polymer. Or in other words kevlar (or kevlar-type fibre) in polymer, which to me seems a lot better than just ABS or PC. But I can be wrong.

However that is, it still has all the requisite certifications and is pretty light for a helmet of the type.

I haven't looked at all the figures, but if lightness is your goal (a good goal) then surely one of the MTB full face will suffice.  I may go that route too one day.  In all my face plants I have only hit my face once (slight bleeding of the chin, no helmet).  But any extra weight on the head will surely increase the inertia of the head and also increase the chance of facial contact.  The irony is that a "helmet plant" would almost certainly confirm to the rider his wisdom of wearing a helmet, even when the lack of helmet mass and momentum may have resulted in a psudo face plant otherwise.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lutalo said:

All were "road" helmets, and all were MIPS equipped. They were the:

2. Garneau Raid MIPS

3. Bell Stratus MIPS

Thanks for that post and link.  I looked up each of these helmets and unfortunately, they are all open face.  I guess that was pre-supposed in the statement "road helmets".  Although I am fully aware that each crash is different, the only time any part of my head assembly hit the dirt in a face plant, it was just my chin.  So when looking for noggin protection for an EUC ride, if I'm going to put something on it should protect my face too. So I'm still leaning towards MTB style.

I'm looking at @Scatcat s two suggestions of two un bulky MTB lids " the Giro Switchblade or the Bell MIPS R3"

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:cry2:   :crying: :crying: :crying:  You never know.  Never say never!  I might ride again :ph34r:.  Gotta find me some thicker padded elbow guards for unexpected landings!  :whistling:

You are lot looking for thicker padding...you are looking for more effective padding...

Use the force obi-@Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I find my motorcycle helmet difficult to use for EUC riding. I loved it when my main hobby was speeding along my favorite stretches of abandoned highway crouched behind the windscreen upon my Suzuki Hyabusa at 180+ mph. However, for a hobby as tame as EUC riding it feels like a boulder on my head. It seems to affect my riding ability as well: my sense of balance, visibility,  etc. Yet, until a strap mishap, I wore it everytime I hit the streets of DC on my wheel and managed pretty well. I just never felt like I got used to wearing it in the wheel application. When I have a motorcycle (sold my Busa a couple of years ago and haven't yet picked up another crotchrocket. I think I am holding out for a lightning;)🤔). Although I have never worn either a modular or half face, I decided to order a modular off of Amazon, but cancelled it.  Instead, I took a trip to the local Cycle Gear to try one on for size. Glad I did. It sucked. It was even heavier than my fullface. Tried on a bunch of helmets: some felt better than mine and I thought I might be able to stand them, and others were worse. 

I then went to a local bicycle shop and tried on some helmets. Suffice it to say that I am now thinking of a MIPS equipped road bike style helmet. They are light; usually weighing approximately 1.5 lbs, and sometimes even less. They are strong and protect the coconut very well without looking obtrusive and feeling burdensome upon the neck, They will keep you cool in the summer - the best full face helmets will likely fall short in this regard at EUC speeds in hot, extremely humid DC summer conditions; mine has. Finally, good bike helmets are a lot cheaper than good motorcycle helmets. 

There may be a good case for choosing a simple bicycle helmet for our hobby. Namely, Virginia Tech and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety research collaboration. The collab involved conducting safety tests, in June 2018, of several helmet brands. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/new-tests-show-some-bike-helmets-protect-better-than-others

Their findings were interesting, for example; "road" bike helmets in general performed better than "urban" or "skate" style helmets despite the thicker shells of the latter. Of 30 helmets tested only four helmets received a five star rating. All were "road" helmets, and all were MIPS equipped. They were the:

2. Garneau Raid MIPS

3. Bell Stratus MIPS

I look forward to some fun and interesting riding adventures in the coming warmer months. My safety equipment has become a big part of my seasonal wardrobe shifts because EUC riding has become a big part of my lifestyle. In the end, I am thinking of copping one of four helmets listed above. 

Funny how the motorcycle riders consider the motorcycle helmets too heavy to ride EUC with.  :P  Only issue is I've seen too many faceplants/cutouts to consider an openface helmet.  Also motorcycle helmets are overkill, they are built for crashes much higher than we are running at and are meant for single impact.  

@Marty Backe, it is great that you can ride with the 4lb helmet.  Again, keep in mind the motorcycle helmets are considered single crash use.  Again, not sure if it applies to the low speed impacts.  I've read that even if you drop you helmet from a table, you are supposed to consider getting a new one if it compromises the structure.  I think for most it is overkill and there are plenty of full face helmets that are half the weight and perfectly suitable for EUC.  Mainly any downhill/enduro helmets would be fine.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

I haven't looked at all the figures, but if lightness is your goal (a good goal) then surely one of the MTB full face will suffice.  I may go that route too one day.  In all my face plants I have only hit my face once (slight bleeding of the chin, no helmet).  But any extra weight on the head will surely increase the inertia of the head and also increase the chance of facial contact.  The irony is that a "helmet plant" would almost certainly confirm to the rider his wisdom of wearing a helmet, even when the lack of helmet mass and momentum may have resulted in a psudo face plant otherwise.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Oh sure, they're plenty good enough, but oh so cold in the Swedish winter...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Oh sure, they're plenty good enough, but oh so cold in the Swedish winter...

Yeah I can see that.  I have a rather loose basic bike helmet, that is slightly too big for me (long story)  WHEN I wear it, I wear a baseball cap underneath it.  Fills the gap and blocks the wind.  Not Swedish winter wind, though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Mainly any downhill/enduro helmets would be fine.  

I will look into downhill enduros today. I agree that the downside to bicycle helmets is the lack of coverage but I am accustomed to compromises riding EUCs. My ideal helmet is comfortable with good peripheral visibility. The ideal helmet would also provide the coverage and protection without feeling like I am wearing a 5lb dumbbell atop my coconut.

36 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Funny how the motorcycle riders consider the motorcycle helmets too heavy to ride EUC with.  :P

🤔:D Despite the scooter classification, my guess is most bikers psychologically associate EUC riding more closely to bicycle riding than motorcycle riding because of the speeds. I was deep into road cycling for a minute; bought a titanium frame and had a monster built with full dura-ace components. I spent more money buying this bike, plus the goofy-assed effeminate gear that goes along with it than on my 18L and 18XL combined. Long story short: my average pedaling speed on that bike was the same or more as my average cruising speeds on my wheels. I have reached about 200 mph on my Busa on several occasions, and a 180+ on even more occasions wearing the very helmet that I was using to ride my EUCs. The speed is the main reason I think associating EUC riding more closely with motorcycle Riding for me is more of a mental leap. 

28 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

@Marty Backe, it is great that you can ride with the 4lb helmet.

I have also ridden with mine on many occasions. I could not adapt, adjust or learn to like or prefer using it. My 4lb Bell sucked. My Arai and Scorpion left with the bike, but I don't imagine they would have felt much better for EUC riding than the Bell that I kept as an interim helmet for when I bought my dream bike; the lightning :D👍

• Like 2