THE HELMET THREAD

14 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Oh, it's nice. But as I've already tried flattening my face on the pavement, I want a chinbar to keep my teeth inside my mouth if possible.

Yeh, plenty of folks in our group have been wearing those type of helmet and still walk away with faceplantitus.  Now they are wearing full face helmets.  

• Like 3

My 50% off priced black/white Bell Super 3R finally arrived. I used it today for the first time and its not that bad at all. I guess its as slim as you can get for a full face :ph34r:.

Maybe I don't look that crazy anymore while riding along with the cars on public roads :w00t2:

The only problem is its a bit cold in it as it has pretty good ventilation. Do you guys use any removable helmet sealant/foam for winter conditions?

• 4 weeks later...

So to those of you having TSG Pass and want traffic light I can recommend a new solution I finally got set up today or rather tonight.

I bought a headlight with front and rear from Magicshine, I believe they are US or at least have a us sale/web site. The lamp I got is a package deal. It is called MS-606C 1600 + pack (MJ902B+C). 

I have mounted but 1 headstrap, basically a big rubber band with 2 mounting tubes. The costs for power goes into an adaptor that connect to one big battery pack. I got a smaller one too. And I can have this in my MC jackets inner pocket. On my "dark ride" backpack (sprayed with reflex transparent paint) I have fitted the BT remote to turn on each lamp unit and switch between different strength/blinking modes.

The lamps can be tilted into possition of you liking as they are fitted on a tube by rubber bands. They have other models, but I got this as a Black Friday deal for 799 sek or about 72€/82$.20181227_191519.thumb.jpg.f2541415bb198dd93a77246951142252.jpg

The remote (the orange bit, 1 button for each lamp unit) or works with App too:

IRS20181227_194257.thumb.jpg.a6121cd534864ddb2b1196ea8526a363.jpg

The backpack as you see it on my back.

IRS20181227_194333.thumb.jpg.54326de365ede5fe942c3af59f14158c.jpg

The blue backpack look exactly like my red beside the colour and reflex painted stripes. IRS20181121_181011.thumb.jpg.741c3c2fea72d546a57f298beec1d1a2.jpg

It is a bit hard to take selphies of this due to the strong 1600 lumen headlight. I am not sure how the read red light is listed. It is clear but not too strong.

So what do you think ? @eddiemoy @fbhb @Hatchet @that0n3guy

Weather is going to be bad for EUC rides the next few days, so it will take a few days before I can test this. Upuntill now I had only used headlight handheld or mounted on a finger. Today I tested the rear lighted mounted on helmet to and from work. Seems to work well. 

@Scatcat You have seen my helmet irl. So what do you think? It is fairly easy to remove it when it is not needed anymore and it don't leave marks on the helmet.

Yes I can't open the visor fully, but enough for venting out hot air to avoid moisture at traffic light standstill.so now I don't need bike helmet TSG Solid anymore. 😎😁

NOTE: I know I can't match @Marty Backe new photo style nor @Rehab1 fantastic smile he always have, but this is more a traffic setup for the dark side of the moon ehhh earth.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 3

Been toying with the idea of adding a POC Helmet with an unconvincing-looking chin bar for winter weather, but am back-and-forth on whether it would be worth it.  I think the chin bar isn't meant to offer significant protection.  Need to look at some reviews.  

3 hours ago, mezzanine said:

Been toying with the idea of adding a POC Helmet with an unconvincing-looking chin bar for winter weather, but am back-and-forth on whether it would be worth it.  I think the chin bar isn't meant to offer significant protection.  Need to look at some reviews.  

If it is the Sinuse you're talking about, I wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it for road use. It's a ski helmet meant to add some measure of protection if you fall downhill in snow. While the icy packed snow in a mongol or black pist might be hard enough to crack your jaw, it is still malleable to some extent, and has a rather low friction.

Chin bar, meet asphalt... crunch.

But of course a weak chin bar is better than no chin bar.

Edited by Scatcat

This one looks good, and feels good on. It IS a face-hugger - so if your head or face is wide, it may not be the best. It is ridiculously comfy though.

I'm looking forward to closing the visor on Swedish winter and spring...

2018-12-31-12_31_50.thumb.jpg.9521623ec03857043d674326923a737d.jpg

LS2 Pioneer MX436, weight 1300g/2.85lbs

Wire actuated sun visor and outer clear visor.

Front ventilation can be closed.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

If it is the Sinuse you're talking about, I wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it for road use. It's a ski helmet meant to add some measure of protection if you fall downhill in snow. While the icy packed snow in a mongol or black pist might be hard enough to crack your jaw, it is still malleable to some extent, and has a rather low friction.

Chin bar, meet asphalt... crunch.

But of course a weak chin bar is better than no chin bar.

Yeah, it was the Sinuse.  I agree about not trusting it.  I was only considering it because I could get it for really cheap, but even then it wouldn't be worth it. 

I need to plug up the vents on my full faced helmet instead of being so lazy for winter riding, but even then I can't get my hoods over it because of it's large diameter.  Was thinking of the Sinuse because it looks smaller like a conventional bike helmet in size.  Right now I'm using a Bern Brentwood because it fits so well under my hoods and I'm prioritizing warmth over my face.  I'll be sure to update this when I inevitably hit the road and am reminded of the trade-off I made.  

Have been riding since April with a typical bicycle style helmet and a snowboarding helmet. Luckily, I never faceplanted with my actual face, however I did manage to break a rib. 😜Just got my 1st full face Yema helmet. Very comfortable. The matte black finish will match the XL quite nicely... stoked! 

15463848369668680381891900174728.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Rama Douglas said:

Have been riding since April with a typical bicycle style helmet and a snowboarding helmet. Luckily, I never faceplanted with my actual face, however I did manage to break a rib. 😜Just got my 1st full face Yema helmet. Very comfortable. The matte black finish will match the XL quite nicely... stoked! 

15463848369668680381891900174728.jpg

I have that exact helmet minus the star thing on the top/side.  It's supposed to be certified for road use, but it's made from ABS and no conventional helmet manufactures use ABS.  Polycarbonate, yes, fibreglass, yes, even carbon fibre, but ABS, that's reserved for motorcycle panels.  Still, at EUC speeds, it's a darn site better than nothing (unless you get hit by a fast vehicle - not recommended).  I put speakers in mine.  It took a bit of modification.  I posted pictures, they're on page 1 of this thread.

ps. I've only worn it once.

Edited by Smoother

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

I have that exact helmet minus the star thing on the top/side.  It's supposed to be certified for road use, but it's made from ABS and no conventional helmet manufactures use ABS.  Polycarbonate, yes, fibreglass, yes, even carbon fibre, but ABS, that's reserved for motorcycle panels.  Still, at EUC speeds, it's a darn site better than nothing (unless you get hit by a fast vehicle - not recommended).  I put speakers in mine.  It took a bit of modification.  I posted pictures, they're on page 1 of this thread.

ps. I've only worn it once.

The LS2 is made out of KPA Kinetic Polymer Alloy, which is lighter and stronger than normal PC. It was one thing that sold it to me, the reasonably low weight for a motorcycle helmet.

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

The LS2 is made out of KPA Kinetic Polymer Alloy, which is lighter and stronger than normal PC. It was one thing that sold it to me, the reasonably low weight for a motorcycle helmet.

As you know, I started to look at the LS2 FF399 since the Ruroc helmet didn't fit me well and the shockwave module was misaligned to the fasteners for it. So I shipping it back for refund.

What I particularly like about the FF399 is the 180 degrees flip up of chin bar and intergrated "sunglasses" and pinloch antifog system plus option for a BT headset and Mic system.

https://ls2helmets.com/se/urban/valiant

2 hours ago, KevinvdV said:

I just bought myself a bicycle helmet :) I don't like helmets at all, but now that my monowheel can go up to 40km/h I figured I needed one...

Went for this one: https://www.coros.com/omni.php

I like that model because of the LED on the back, and the bone conduction audio (eager to test it out :D)

It might be a good helmet. At least I am not going to say the opposite.

However, I thought at first a bike helmet would suffice. I do not have same opinion anymore. Main reason for this is, impact between 20 kmh to 40kmh are very different. But anything unforseen can lead much serious forces, spruce by pothole physics impact or trying to avoid a animal or kid can divert you or others towards you. So oppersite cyclist speed or car or MC you need to add that too.

So I decided to upgrade to a flip up full face mc helmet. My first wheel could do just about 30kmh, my maid wheel now is set to 40/42kmh warning/forced tiltback. 

I know I am a pussy, I do not dare to push my luck at 50kmh. It is that simple. I am too old to test because I can I must....not anymore. That said I am constant fighting not to move my comfort zone and do a @Hunka Hunka Burning Love.

I like EUC riding too much 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rama Douglas said:

These helmets are designed to be worn until you crash in it. The internal styrofoam on this style helmet is what actually protects the noggin, not the outer plastic, fiberglass, abs, Kevlar, or whatever the outer shell is comprised of. I'd say good on you for only wearing it once, as with your mods, you've probably rendered your helmet close to useless (regarding protecting your noggin from a hard impact.) The holes you cut out of the styrofoam have structurally compromised the integrity of that helmet, which as you know has great reviews. I applaud anyone who wishes to add a helmet. It's always a good decision to lid up, and of course everyone has their preferences with cost, comfort, and build quality. I feel very safe with mine compared to what I was using. But yeah, if the internal styrofoam was cut or cracked, I wouldn't wear it either...😁

Better than your 'Mohawk' helmet :P

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unventor said:

It might be a good helmet. At least I am not going to say the opposite.

However, I thought at first a bike helmet would suffice. I do not have same opinion anymore. Main reason for this is, impact between 20 kmh to 40kmh are very different. But anything unforseen can lead much serious forces, spruce by pothole physics impact or trying to avoid a animal or kid can divert you or others towards you. So oppersite cyclist speed or car or MC you need to add that too.

So I decided to upgrade to a flip up full face mc helmet. My first wheel could do just about 30kmh, my maid wheel now is set to 40/42kmh warning/forced tiltback. 

I know I am a pussy, I do not dare to push my luck at 50kmh. It is that simple. I am too old to test because I can I must....not anymore. That said I am constant fighting not to move my comfort zone and do a @Hunka Hunka Burning Love.

I like EUC riding too much 😉

Never go faster than you're comfortable with. I too won't use the full speed of the MSX when I get it, the idea to crash at 50kph/30mph+ is rather unpalatable. I've already tried it at 32kph/20mph and that was more than enough force to handle in a crash.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Better than your 'Mohawk' helmet :P

Sorry to bring back serious. Do you mind listing you helmet park? And maybe add a small pro/con to each since you got more helmet (or I expect that from you vids)

• Like 1