THE HELMET THREAD

11 hours ago, Electroman said:

Looks like L is my size but it's a bit of a chance I get that, do not want to send back but it is online business so cannot try it out first.

I am also 58cm and have very short hair like @litewave has posted and feel that the snug fit is just about perfect. The fit needs to be snug (but not tight) and without the helmet being able to move around too easily when the chin strap is done up. I was also initially concerned about waiting for the helmet to turn up from Germany before being able to try it on, but I feel that for my head size and shape the TSG Pass in Large is spot on!

• Like 2

Use a bauer 3800 hockey helmet with a wire cage visor.  Never fogs up, and it is easily removed with a nickel.  Good coverage over the ears and very light.  Adjustable front and back to tailor fit to head.

56 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

@fbhb hey mate, what wrist guard do you use out of curiosity? 

The images below (from a previous post on "minimum protection") show all the actual gear I wear, including the brand and model of wrist guards that you asked about.

TSG Pass Full Face Helmet

Flexmeter D30 Wrist Guards

Shift Enforcer Knee & Shin Guards

G-Form Pro X Elbow Pads

TSG Pass.jpeg

Flexmeter.jpg

Shift.jpg

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

I thought you were using the flexmeter, where did you get them from, did you find them local by chance?

No, sorry couldn't find anywhere in NZ that stocks them. I just bit the bullet and ordered them direct from Demon International in the States. They work out expensive with shipping on top, but in my opinion, the best wrist guards out there and I don't believe you can put a price on safety!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

the best wrist guards out there and I don't believe you can put a price on safety!

I Agree, the flexmeter wrist guards are absolutely the best and I NEVER ride without them... I have 7 sets of the free ones that come with the ewheel.com orders, anyone who wants them can have them for free, just pay to ship... :)

4 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

I Agree, the flexmeter wrist guards are absolutely the best and I NEVER ride without them... I have 7 sets of the free ones that come with the ewheel.com orders, anyone who wants them can have them for free, just pay to ship... :)

I could use a pair, both of my only pair just broke. How much is the shipping to Finland.

7 hours ago, fbhb said:

I am also 58cm and have very short hair like @litewave has posted and feel that the snug fit is just about perfect. The fit needs to be snug (but not tight) and without the helmet being able to move around too easily when the chin strap is done up. I was also initially concerned about waiting for the helmet to turn up from Germany before being able to try it on, but I feel that for my head size and shape the TSG Pass in Large is spot on!

Interesting, my head is also 58 but i went with the M Size, it is all comfortable, and fits like a glove as they say,  i am expecting it to loose up a bit , but i am glad its on the tighter side because  that chin strap is driving me nuts. i see the logic to have the Double D rings if i am traveling 50+km/h down road on a long-board and suddenly start to tumble, it would secure to stay on the head.
But for many of my short rides where the helmet needs to come off and on allot, i usually don't bother with the chinstrap

• Like 1

16 hours ago, litewave said:

I have the TSG Pass Pro Carbon Shoot sized Large. My head is 58cm, and I have very short hair. The helmet is very snug, so you may consider an XLarge if you have significant hair volume. It 's a very nice helmet, though, and it definitely gets attention. See my post above for more details.

Thanks a lot litewave, you'r a savior exactly the short, precise and on point answer I was looking for for! :D

I have 58cm and also very short hair wintertime, summer I more often than not just take the machine to the head and do my own hair cuts lol. In other words no hair, I also love a snug fit, is there any other type out there?

Again thanks, yes online is a chance no matter what the measuring tape say, maybe XL is the much safer route but I honestly feel comfortable to at least take a chance on Large now and want a snug fit, not blood stopping tight just snug and forming to me me over coming week or so for a perfect fit.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 7:17 AM, Unventor said:

I have seen police a few times while riding, but none have ever taken action on me. The closest encounter was a few weeks back at a pasta restaurant when I were picking up my lunch. Both officers just looked at me while took on my TSG Pass helmet as they were waiting for their orders to be taken. But since EUC is classed in Swedish traffic law as e-bikes I think they don't spee time on us unless you draw their attention by driving too fast or unsafe. 

I have to admit, they never bother me either, been really great which is more than I an for many guards whether SL (traffic wardens), around shopping centers, anywhere name it? Some are like magnets, did however pass a cop I missed riding the beeps hard the other day, let's just say they looked chocked at first but once grasping it reacted right away the way know how! :lol:

Edited by Electroman

On 10/26/2018 at 8:10 AM, fbhb said:

The images below (from a previous post on "minimum protection") show all the actual gear I wear, including the brand and model of wrist guards that you asked about.

TSG Pass Full Face Helmet

Flexmeter D30 Wrist Guards

Shift Enforcer Knee & Shin Guards

G-Form Pro X Elbow Pads

TSG Pass.jpeg

Flexmeter.jpg

Shift.jpg

Nice, really like the matte black.

Actually I wanted that one but with the black TSG text/graphic on it, although ended up going for the Carbon cause I found it cheaper than the black with white text and black with black text on it was out where I looked so?

..or did I, but a Carbon that is?

I find it so strange, did read about people using that store called Snowbitch so I think I give it a go but no confirmation email at all yet and 4 days gone by, also no one answered any question via mail yet so that to me just feels flat out wrong and not the way to do business.

We will see, worst case I contact my bank and look for another one, could still be positively surprised just don't have the time to do the research needed.

Nice to see other people using hard, long knee protection, no doubt will be worth the perhaps less comfy protection the day one take a hard dive into the asphalt and dragged along at high speed, me too been interested in the shorter softer variants that harden on impact and they do feel very comfy and sit where supposed to or at least those I tried. But I ride so fast at times and personally I will prefer these hard variants when scraping along the ground from 50-60km/h. Advantages and disadvantages like everything else, might pick up some softer variants for certain type of riding in full comfort but when really pushing my luck I want more cover and ability to slide along the asphalt over some distance.

Protection is a constant process of learning, readjusting at least that's how I see it? Lots of theories, I am not anti any protection at all and prepared to try most things if interested but that type is true and tested for me at least.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, been riding a ks14 everyday for 3 months. I have a bmx helmet and would like to get some face protection. I got to page 5 of this thread before getting lost. Can someone review what helmet certifications are recommended? What is considered overkill? 

It seemed like people recommended motorcycle helmets with built in windshield of more of a motocross helmet. Is that mostly preference or is there a reason? Safety/comfort/wind reduction...

I know safety is important but I don't want to spend more on a helmet than I spent on my unicycle. To give context of my helmet knowledge: "all helmets are created equal". I know I'm wrong so please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

I know safety is important but I don't want to spend more on a helmet than I spent on my unicycle. To give context of my helmet knowledge: "all helmets are created equal". I know I'm wrong so please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

I read this thread when looking for my first EUC helmet and noticed many have a reason for the helmet they chose. There isn't a common "must have helmet" that I'm aware of and if there is I missed the memo hahahaha! I wanted protection first and foremost, but I did want a good looking helmet as well. I went with an AFX FX-39 DS for my helmet choice. It is very protective ( I gave it a real test the hard way!) and light, very cost friendly, many options to accessorize, and it looks great in my opinion.  I will say I will get a more free flowing helmet when the heat comes back for the summer next year, but this will be what I wear during the Spring, Autumn, and Winter.

IMG_20181103_161855.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

I read this thread when looking for my first EUC helmet and noticed many have a reason for the helmet they chose. There isn't a common "must have helmet" that I'm aware of .....

Different people have different heads, and preferences, and different requirements.  There is rarely, if ever, one must have of anything for everyone.... that is just in people's minds, and the Jones garage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I can sure testify that the makers of virtually everything size their products differently.  I'm not particularly weirdly shaped, I don't think, but every maker's clothes/shoes/gloves/glasses fit me differently.  It's pretty random.  Shopping takes a long time and lots of driving around.

4 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

I read this thread when looking for my first EUC helmet and noticed many have a reason for the helmet they chose. There isn't a common "must have helmet" that I'm aware of and if there is I missed the memo hahahaha! I wanted protection first and foremost, but I did want a good looking helmet as well. I went with an AFX FX-39 DS for my helmet choice. It is very protective ( I gave it a real test the hard way!) and light, very cost friendly, many options to accessorize, and it looks great in my opinion.  I will say I will get a more free flowing helmet when the heat comes back for the summer next year, but this will be what I wear during the Spring, Autumn, and Winter.

I considered that helmet a couple years ago because it was stylish, inexpensive, and has a face shield, but I think it weighs close to 1.8kg/4lbs. From my experience, 1kg is a good weight limit for an EUC helmet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, litewave said:

I considered that helmet a couple years ago because it was stylish, inexpensive, and has a face shield, but I think it weighs close to 1.8kg/4lbs. From my experience, 1kg is a good weight limit for an EUC helmet.

I couldn't tell the difference between .8kg of weight in anything personally. I just know this helmet worked extremely well when my head hit the concrete.

• Like 2

I can, but then again I did some serious damage to my neck many years ago incl a nasty neck fracture.

To me as well 1 kilo sounds about right but of course speaking from own needs and not in a broad general sense + no rule written in stone, the  TSG Carbon which is quite nice I must say, "she" have got a few quirks of "her" own like ventilation and fogging up when close to 100% humidity outside, I would change a few things to be called close to perfect (no such thing as perfection imho) but then again which helmet is that close to perfection, if to be totally non bias and honest about it?

Mass of even close to 2 kilos is not much either, not really but weight of a helmet standing still vs the force of an object in motion, sudden changes of direction and riding for longer periods could be a bit different but God forbid in case of a accident straining the old injury?

Again I must define I am speaking about myself now and could be different because of that damage to my neck and and I say I ride aggressive I do mean that, to a point it could likely be considered silly for a grown man and pushing his luck real bad at times but it is what I enjoy and one must have a hobby to love, I could literally die tomorrow crossing the street and try to minimize the risks as far as possible but enough about that.

Helmets are about preferences too right, I often see people get stuck in a pattern of repetition about products becoming popular, buying the corporate hype about best gear out there, repetitions strengthening each others views to a point where we no longer see it objectively and perhaps not even realizing the bias? Perhaps not a popular thing to say even these days with all the protected speech zones and what not but I have never been to good at shutting it at an insane PC level, I speak my mind but do not try to deliberately hurt anyone's feelings.

A very nice looking helmet it is though, with that visor on the looks of it.., yum.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

How important is it to buckle the helmet?

I wear a full-face modular motorcycle helmet.  it fits snugly.  How important is it for me to fasten that chin strap?  it is hard (impossible) to do in the cold with gloves on, but if someone tells me it is important then I'll do it.  

Thanks!

On 11/23/2018 at 8:28 PM, paulz said:

How important is it to buckle the helmet?

I wear a full-face modular motorcycle helmet.  it fits snugly.  How important is it for me to fasten that chin strap?  it is hard (impossible) to do in the cold with gloves on, but if someone tells me it is important then I'll do it.  

Thanks!

It depends on how you fall and why. If you for example get cut off by a car, you may well bounce off the car and fall the other way over the curb onto the sidewalk. The forces involved may well unseat the helmet in the bounce, and then get it half off when you hit the curb and start falling over. To be effective, the helmet should not only be "on", it should be in its correct position. If it's half on, the forces on your head may be affected by increased leverage and the "snug fit" may be in all the wrong places.

Edited by Scatcat

I just pulled the trigger on a LS2 Pioneer. 1300 grams of MC-helmet joy.

MX436_PIONEER_Solid_404361007.thumb.jpg.0365bf0529009e59700327c00262e927.jpg

Less holes than my old Giro Switchblade, which is all good as the Bad Weather™ season is at its worst here for the next three to four months. a clear visor, sun visor, and cap visor to shield me from sun, rain, insects and junk. I dearly hope the LS2 fit is right for my head. It should be, but I haven't tried it on... ;) 

However, getting it Black Friday style, at 2/3 of the normal price, was just too good to pass on.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Less holes than my old Giro Switchblade, which is all good as the Bad Weather™ season is at its worst here for the next three to four months. a clear visor, sun visor, and cap visor to shield me from sun, rain, insects and junk. I dearly hope the LS2 fit is right for my head. It should be, but I haven't tried it on... ;) 

However, getting it Black Friday style, at 2/3 of the normal price, was just too good to pass on.

Looks like a well thought out helmet, with great specs for the price point. Do let us all know how you like it once you have clocked up some distance wearing it?

5 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Looks like a well thought out helmet, with great specs for the price point. Do let us all know how you like it once you have clocked up some distance wearing it?

The price point was about $100, so I'm not complaining ;) 

The LS "fit" is supposed to be "long oval" which should fit me reasonably. The only worry is my cheekbones, that sit just beside the bottom half of my eyes and sticks ut a bit. They pushed a bit on the Giro, and probably will on the LS. We'll see.

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1