THE HELMET THREAD

10 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Looking at this wondering if it is a good option...

https://www.ruroc.com/en/atlas-helmets/414-sport-road.html

Cheaper than the Ruroc Core i am looking at once I've added the Bluetooth speakers.  The only downside is it's not modular, but then I've heard the modular can be a pain and i can't see myself often using it without the chin attachment.

The only downsides I’ve read about motorbike helmets is that they are heavier and generally the ventilation is set up to achieve peak performance at higher speeds (I assume if it was set at lower speeds and you were riding a crotchrocket, it might be TOO cold st higher speeds, just a guess though). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jfree13 said:

The only downsides I’ve read about motorbike helmets is that they are heavier and generally the ventilation is set up to achieve peak performance at higher speeds (I assume if it was set at lower speeds and you were riding a crotchrocket, it might be TOO cold st higher speeds, just a guess though). 

Yeah, i can definitely understand that points your making, but im wondering if it will really be that big of an issue.

I really want a full face helmet with a visor to keep the cold air out in the winter.  I want to be able to open the visor easily with the helmet on when i go into a shop or something.  I want music and phone connectivity. I want to look cool and keep my face pretty at the same time.

The modular Ruroc was my choice because i thought it would be easy to remove the chin bar and the visor while wearing the helmet, but i have now read that is not the case so now looking at other options but haven't found a whole lot.

Im not overly taken by the big looking TSG if i am being honest, but the Ruroc Sport Road looks pretty cool and seems to tick the boxes.  If i can still hear as normal speeds then i think i can deal with the weight difference (the only negative other than that is the increased possibility of breaking your neck with the added weight in a particular type of crash, but i think the difference - although exponential with speed - is still not enough to sway me here considering the low overall speeds vs motorcycles)

I have enough to buy one decent helmet so really want to make the right choice.

Edit. @Esper I see you were waiting to buy this helmet a few months ago, did you go through with the order / receive it yet?  I'm considering it as my EUC helmet. (Yes  i know its overkill as some will likely point out, but its full face, has a visor, looks cool as shit and (i think) comes with Bluetooth speakers built-in). I would love to get your take on it..

Edited by Alex_from_NZ

@Alex_from_NZ Greetings,

I ordered the helmet a while back but they opened the preorders in March of this year. According to the rep that I spoke with via facebook my estimated delivery time is the 15th of November. I do know for certain that the bluetooth feature is an added option that is not default with the helmet. I no longer even ride the device I ordered it for but I will hold onto it once I get it anyways. I'll be able to answer any questions you have about it after I get it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Esper said:

@Alex_from_NZ Greetings,

I ordered the helmet a while back but they opened the preorders in March of this year. According to the rep that I spoke with via facebook my estimated delivery time is the 15th of November. I do know for certain that the bluetooth feature is an added option that is not default with the helmet. I no longer even ride the device I ordered it for but I will hold onto it once I get it anyways. I'll be able to answer any questions you have about it after I get it.

What size did you get?  Want to sell it if you dont have the device anymore?

Interesting the Bluetooth is added extra, their website copy makes it sound like its included, but then it is a little ambiguous still.  That puts the price up a little more than i wanted now... hrrmmm, back to the drawing board perhaps.

1 hour ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Yeah, i can definitely understand that points your making, but im wondering if it will really be that big of an issue.

I really want a full face helmet with a visor to keep the cold air out in the winter.  I want to be able to open the visor easily with the helmet on when i go into a shop or something.  I want music and phone connectivity. I want to look cool and keep my face pretty at the same time.

For warmth I’d recommend a neck gaiter. I have a couple from Turtle Fur I use for skiing and they work very well (my hot breath makes my chin area like a steam room in those things). I downhill ski in them too without a problem for hours at a time.  If you get the z10 you can even pretend your skiing with the way the testers whipped their butts to turn the thing!

My TSG will be arriving Friday so I’ll find out if the gaiter works with the full face helmet. I opted for that for its ASTM downhill crash rating- more rigorous than the ruroc ski helmets (didn’t check ratings on the motor bike ones but assume they meet DOT). 

Bluetooth would be sweet but I ride in heavy traffic with crappy drivers so I tend to ride music free to listen for any horns, tires, loud tailpipes, etc creeping up on me. 

If you really want Bluetooth ruroc seems to be the best fit. I also saw a review where their new gen ski helmets have an easier time equipping/ removing the chin piece.

I hope you find the right one for you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

What size did you get?  Want to sell it if you dont have the device anymore?

Interesting the Bluetooth is added extra, their website copy makes it sound like its included, but then it is a little ambiguous still.  That puts the price up a little more than i wanted now... hrrmmm, back to the drawing board perhaps.

I got a Large 59-50 cm.
The color option I chose is the Camo Green/Orange visor. Total cost I paid is $462 usd. I'd be willing to part from it if you paid that and the shipping fee from Seattle to your location. I'm not sure if you would agree to this as it is quite expensive.

1 hour ago, Esper said:

I got a Large 59-50 cm.
The color option I chose is the Camo Green/Orange visor. Total cost I paid is $462 usd. I'd be willing to part from it if you paid that and the shipping fee from Seattle to your location. I'm not sure if you would agree to this as it is quite expensive.

Hrmmm, i could almost justify it because i would avoid the Import Tax if you sent it to me as a gift :D But with the exchange rate and shipping it would come close to $800NZD which i sadly cant justify.  

Cheers anyway mate, keen to know what you think of it when it arrives.

Alex.

So my pass arrived today. My head is 57 cm but I ordered a large (according to then 58-60 cm). For my face, it seems kind of smushed up against me, coming very close to my nose. If I face plant I’m probably braking my nose. Does anyone else have this issue?  I don’t know if getting an xl would even make a difference.

I really can’t find any photos of people with the mask lifted cause well, it doesn’t look as cool I guess. 

446ACD3D-9EF1-406D-B30F-79D789E46E8C.jpeg

819D518D-878A-4C13-BFF8-BE13AB6E55C2.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jfree13 said:

So my pass arrived today. My head is 57 cm but I ordered a large (according to then 58-60 cm). For my face, it seems kind of smushed up against me, coming very close to my nose. If I face plant I’m probably braking my nose. Does anyone else have this issue?  I don’t know if getting an xl would even make a difference.

I really can’t find any photos of people with the mask lifted cause well, it doesn’t look as cool I guess. 

446ACD3D-9EF1-406D-B30F-79D789E46E8C.jpeg

819D518D-878A-4C13-BFF8-BE13AB6E55C2.jpeg

C0009(1).thumb.jpg.410152581fca15f1dcc9d27655a603d4.jpg

20181004_174708.thumb.jpg.daf7ae8eb016613158b8cafd703423ca.jpg

I like you colour choice.

As for positioning I thing you might be able to twist the front a bit up so you nose is more tugged in behind/below the tip of the lower chin bar. I can try to grab epic tomorrow. To late now. Posted my best pics I had atm.

15 minutes ago, jfree13 said:

Well.. Helmets are supposed to be snug. You don't want something so loose that it will compromise the safety of the helmet. If the shape of your head places your nose too close to the front, a larger helmet would not help you. You need a different helmet shape/style. 

I am not an expert.I'm providing my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Esper said:

If the shape of your head places your nose too close to the front, a larger helmet would not help you. You need a different helmet shape/style. 

That makes sense. I really would like a full face but I live in the middle of flatland- no stores in my area carry a wide range of full face to try on beforehand so I have to order everything online. 

There is a store that has the modular BELL bike helmet but that’s about it. 

28 minutes ago, jfree13 said:

That makes sense. I really would like a full face but I live in the middle of flatland- no stores in my area carry a wide range of full face to try on beforehand so I have to order everything online. 

Most stores on-line have a return/exchange policy... I just ordered a 2nd helmet, I am going with the light weight ones that are made for BMX... I have a bell super S3 right now and will receive a Fox Proframe (750 grams) on Monday... both have great reviews and look to give great protection if I have a faceplant... the bell has a twist knob to tighten and loosen, the Fox has different pads to get the correct fit... both list sizing charts on-line to get the right one... you will get the best prices on-line as well...

1 hour ago, jfree13 said:

I'm pretty sure this thread's OP @Smoother ordered about 10 different helmets trying to get one that fit properly. All through online and shipping. He may be able to tell you more.

I went for the el-cheapo 1Storm helmet (Amazon URL below).  It fits nicely (including my glasses) and is quite comfortable.  Only small issue is the wind noise starting from 20 kmh (louder than I expected), and the ventilation which only kicks in from 15kmh+.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776QD5QG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mostly wear my ABUS bike helmet, but for colder days this one will be the default choice.

helmet.png

• Like 2

Ive found this one locally for $399 NZD that i am considering, kinda like the Ruroc, but nearly half the price..

Scorpion EXO Combat Helmet

Its Chinese but rather popular with Motorbike riders in the US and not badly built (apparently), the one review i found from an Indian bloke said it was good in the heat too (he should know..lol).

I like the removable chin bar and visor options mainly.

scorpion_covert_helmet_matte_black.jpg

6 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Ive found this one locally for $399 NZD that i am considering, kinda like the Ruroc, but nearly half the price..

Scorpion EXO Combat Helmet

Its Chinese but rather popular with Motorbike riders in the US and not badly built (apparently), the one review i found from an Indian bloke said it was good in the heat too (he should know..lol).

I like the removable chin bar and visor options mainly.

scorpion_covert_helmet_matte_black.jpg

Ask @Marty Backe or check through his videos for his thoughts on the Scorpion, he has one and is very happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/8/2018 at 10:31 AM, Kristof Willen said:

I went for the el-cheapo 1Storm helmet (Amazon URL below).  It fits nicely (including my glasses) and is quite comfortable.  Only small issue is the wind noise starting from 20 kmh (louder than I expected), and the ventilation which only kicks in from 15kmh+.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776QD5QG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mostly wear my ABUS bike helmet, but for colder days this one will be the default choice.

helmet.png

Stylish helmet with nice lines. The price doesn't matter as long as it protect the inner mass between your ears. I see your helmet comes is 13 different colors. Why not this color?;)

45224579551_33222b126d_b.jpg

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the Video link Marty, a couple of questions if you dont mind..

Do you still find yourself using the Helmet?
How was it in Summer?  Too hot?
Anything you dont like about it?
Do you use any headphones or similar with it, if so how do they fit?
What is the wind noise like?  Is it still easy to hear your surrounding with it on?

Cheers!
Alex

Edited by Alex_from_NZ
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Thanks for the Video link Marty, a couple of questions if you dont mind..

Do you still find yourself using the Helmet?
How was it in Summer?  Too hot?
Anything you dont like about it?
Do you use any headphones or similar with it, if so how do they fit?
What is the wind noise like?  Is it still easy to hear your surrounding with it on?

Cheers!
Alex

Yes, I still use the helmet, including in the summer. If you look at my YouTube channel you'll see it being used in very recent videos.

Turns out to be very comfortable even in hot whether, as long as you're moving :)

I periodically use earbuds with the helmet, and that goes to my only complaint. It's a tight helmet with zero space for headphones. I can use basic Apple earbuds, carefully, but they can get pretty uncomfortable after a while. Maybe a bigger size would have been better for the ears, but then the helmet might be too big??? 

Without the earbuds, the helmet is comfortable. And I love the removable muzzle for access to food and drink. The visor is fantastic, and in general wind and noise is kept out of your face. I have no problems hearing the surrounding environment. I've ridden it for hours at a stretch. Doesn't feel too heavy.

Feels like your in a cocoon as your careening down the road at 25-mph. Very nice.

Love the looks.

Fantastic reply, really appreciate the insights!

Any other helmet you would consider in the same bucket as this one? (besides the Ruroc..) and have you thought about the Motorcycle helmet bluetooth kits?  I am not sure how they work but the pictures appear to have rather flat speakers you put into the lining of the helmet. I am considering this as must have music and phone while on the go!

Cheers again!

Edit. I am not very observant when it comes to your head in the videos sorry mate, im busy staring at the wheel haha :D :D 

Edited by Alex_from_NZ
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Fantastic reply, really appreciate the insights!

Any other helmet you would consider in the same bucket as this one? (besides the Ruroc..) and have you thought about the Motorcycle helmet bluetooth kits?  I am not sure how they work but the pictures appear to have rather flat speakers you put into the lining of the helmet. I am considering this as must have music and phone while on the go!

Cheers again!

Edit. I am not very observant when it comes to your head in the videos sorry mate, im busy staring at the wheel haha :D :D 

The Bluetooth kits work with helmets that are designed for them. Zero chance of adding those to this helmet. So yeah, if you like to listen to tunes while riding, this helmet is not ideal.

Sorry, no other practical helmet advice.

• Upvote 1

This is the helmet threat so I suppose I have a go here.

I just cannot go through the whole thread as well other stuff in the forums, I do not follow it closely at all and don't have the time, work so much I basically fight just to stay awake few hours when coming home after a 10-12h/day and often no chance to catch up on the weekends either, it's a loop of never rest properly it seams so sorry if asking what's already been asked and replied about?

Want a new helmet, the cross styled one I have atm was a test to see how it feels on the head cause catching angles out in the periphery is very important to me, in fact I repeat it again to me it is more important to prevent the accident than it is to gear up for it once it happen, of course I am not stupid I understand I need the gear when the accident is there and I could not avoid it but I see no problem in being smart about it all and look at all angles first before start to dress up like the Michelin man expecting to get run over by a truck and can barely see anything around me or move properly, hence likely the reason I got run down to begin with even though I later with time will adapt my story to "I did look properly before crossing the road, it came out of nowhere".

No must be smart about it and a balanced approach looking at all aspects before start gearing up imho and not get caught in the commercial machinery in the process, or let's say I take my moms word over company A, B or C, one loved me since day 1, the other want what's in my wallet or rather on cyber space these days I suppose and totally made up by a banker somewhere and created out of thin air to represent value lol. Some research must be done, but others view on it also greatly appreciated.

TSG Pass Pro Carbon, Unventor or anyone else.., is it the same as the other TSG Pass models on here and just the graphics applied and charged for or is it different and especially in terms of weight? Light weight is very important to me I am not laying over the tank now but rather standing up, of course I am like all else and human, therefor some degree of vanity, full matte black looks much better to me. :lol:

For ex Predator DH6 X Matter Carbon looks sweet, but why put the darn "Predator" on it, I don't want my helmet to yell "Pr3DAr0R" whatever at people, neither to scream EXTERMINATIOR, Dominator or anything of the sort! I can absolutely appreciate a slick space alien looking design if functionality is there and a solid helmet fitting my needs, named what it wants to just don't announce it graphically kind of deal, unless very small and hidden somewhere.

What I really want is a tiny LCD or HUD on visor to provide me with speed and possibly the last warning a'la Gotway to come through clearly, wrapping a closed helmet around my head and wind noises etc will totally drown out the Gotway yelling at me to respect it's warning, not hard to solve if prepared to go wire hooking into the Gotways already existing system but worried about  covering my ears too. On a bike (motor) everything moves faster, everything yell at you louder it's a very different environment and my senses are engaged according to that environment. To cover my ears on the EUC worries me, the signals from the EUC is much weaker and riding bicycle trains all those strong impressions from a motorbike in real traffic is gone or greatly reduced here among bicycles, pedestrians.. My senses I need, all of them cannot just ignore the hearing and hope for the best or I will soon end up where I do not wish to be, no one sane will believe for ex sight can make up for lost hearing. Yes over time those who loose it can strengthen other senses but this is very different from just temporarily removing one and expecting adjustments on the fly.

Yes I go full A4 again and very sorry about it, it's all on me I really cannot explain or even understand why I end up here? Sorry guys, what I want is ideas, to know first if anything like hud/lcd/audio out there for speed, warnings, even acting as rear mirror but do not want a full bike helmet with all that weight on my neck standing up on a EUC.

If not available yet or any known hack to be made for DIY solutions, well then I suppose the direction is like the TSG Pass styled helmet (must not be exactly that one) is the way to go and fight my worries about covering the ears. Some may say don't worry, if you ride a V10/V10F for ex I can understand the no worries thingy, I have tried it too and know how well the audio cut through vs the Gotway that is barely audible at the speeds I ride at. Heck I even checked for the Inmotion beeper online and want to know if can be fit in the Gotway haha.

But yeah, ideas? Ohh I am not in the US, cannot have the cheap stuff and free shipping you have access to, live in the EU and it's a bit worse here in that regard.

TSG Pass Carbon Pro is lighter (960 g), follow this link: https://www.ridetsg.com/shop/pass-pro-carbon-graphic-design----bonus-visor-/79028-40-418/

TSG Pass Standard is heavier (1060 g), follow this link: https://www.ridetsg.com/shop/pass-solid-color----bonus-visor-/79020-60-147/

I have the Standard construction TSG pass and love everything about this helmet and do not find it too heavy. You maybe able to get an opinion on the Carbon version from Forum member @Cannings, I know that he has the Pro Carbon model. Hope the information helps you make your helmet choice.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1