THE HELMET THREAD

On 8/30/2018 at 10:44 PM, Unventor said:

Now I might pop down to Cph one of weekends this month. I can bring my helmet if I do, as I will bring my KS18L. I have not 100% decided yet. 

If you decide to go hit me up - or write in the danish EUC group on facebook.
I ended up getting the leatt 4.5 in matt black. matches my EUC. I get the whole hi-viz yellow thing but and I'm all for safety, but my vanity wins on this one.

I couldn't justify the price increase from the leatt 4.5 to the 5.5 just to get better ventilation.

29 minutes ago, Treponema said:

If you decide to go hit me up - or write in the danish EUC group on facebook.
I ended up getting the leatt 4.5 in matt black. matches my EUC. I get the whole hi-viz yellow thing but and I'm all for safety, but my vanity wins on this one.

I couldn't justify the price increase from the leatt 4.5 to the 5.5 just to get better ventilation.

I don't use Facebook. Hmm maybe Saturday could work.

Weather forecast don't show much rain at least.

Edited by Unventor

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 6:15 PM, fbhb said:

@Unventor I previously posted this photo here of my current selection of helmets including the TSG Pass and Two RG1-DX helmets from Ruroc. I can highly recommend the Ruroc's for their versatility and of course you already know how good the TSG Pass is! 

Helmet Collection.jpg

@fbhb Where did you get the RuRoc from in NZ? Online or there any good shops?  Im looking to pull the trigger on the Core RG1-DX..

Cheers,
Alex

9 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

@fbhb Where did you get the RuRoc from in NZ? Online or there any good shops?  Im looking to pull the trigger on the Core RG1-DX..

Cheers,
Alex

You will already know from some of my previous posts how strongly I recommend these helmets & the Ruroc company in general, so you've made a great choice. The only real option to purchase is direct from the Ruroc online store, so follow this link:  https://www.ruroc.com/en/14-rg1-dx-helmets

They offer a fast shipping service via DHL to NZ, so once you hit the buy button your helmet should be with you fairly quickly. Just be aware that you will need to cover any customs charges with DHL NZ, once the package arrives here in Auckland. Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

You will already know from some of my previous posts how strongly I recommend these helmets & the Ruroc company in general, so you've made a great choice. The only real option to purchase is direct from the Ruroc online store, so follow this link:  https://www.ruroc.com/en/14-rg1-dx-helmets

They offer a fast shipping service via DHL to NZ, so once you hit the buy button your helmet should be with you fairly quickly. Just be aware that you will need to cover any customs charges with DHL NZ, once the package arrives here in Auckland. Hope that helps.

Cheers mate, appreciate the good oil.  Last question, do you think the dx series is worth the extra coin?  about 40% more than the non and from what i can see the real difference boils down to the clips and the goggles?

Thanks again,
Alex

8 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Last question, do you think the dx series is worth the extra coin?  about 40% more than the non and from what i can see the real difference boils down to the clips and the goggles?

When you say "non" I'm not sure if you mean the "Neon" range and just miss-typed it?

Sorry, i mean the standard RG-1, the non-dx series.

https://www.ruroc.com/en/rg-1-helmets/54-rg-1-core.html

Seems significantly cheaper and the only real differences my layman to helmet eyes is the clips and magloc lenses and a few bits and pieces like that..?  Is there any real benefit to getting the more expensive version?

Cheers again,
Alex

31 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Sorry, i mean the standard RG-1, the non-dx series.

https://www.ruroc.com/en/rg-1-helmets/54-rg-1-core.html

Seems significantly cheaper and the only real differences my layman to helmet eyes is the clips and magloc lenses and a few bits and pieces like that..?  Is there any real benefit to getting the more expensive version?

Cheers again,
Alex

If I got it right, the DX series has new snap lock for both chinstrap and how the chinguard attach to helmet and padding in the chinguard. 

You can always argue what is worth a cost. Imho a helmet should be easy to use, if it is not it is easier to not use it and of course that day is when you needed the helmet.

• Upvote 1

OK, got you now! Well in my opinion, you are actually loosing quite a lot as the RG-1 does strip quite a good number of useful features away to keep the price point lower.  The Magloc lense system allows you to replace/change just the lens if you want a clear lens for night riding for instance. If the lens got scratched it's gonna be a cheaper replacement than a complete new  set of goggles. You also loose the visor, which incorporates a GoPro mount should you need it (useful for also mounting a headlamp).  The beauty of the RG1-DX is it's versatility, the RG-1 losses a lot of that versatility. If I was in your position and looking for a more budget conscious purchase, then I would look at the "Neon" range which I initially thought you were referring to:  https://www.ruroc.com/en/48-neon-series  Now the only two colour options that are still available may not be your first choice Matt Black, but you will at least be getting 2017/18 RG1-DX spec at a very heavily discounted sale price. If you were to pony up for the latest RG1-DX Core, because you just have to have it in the Matt Black, then you would also be getting the latest additional features, including increased safety and convenience from the recently released New season line-up/colour schemes.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Cheers team, just the info i was after.

You have made my decision somewhat easier.. now im wondering if i could paint the white one black successfully.... :D 

Chuur cuzzies,
Alex

Don't paint you helmet. Most manufacturer  advice against painting as the paint reacts with the 'plastic' of the helmet. It can change how it react to impact.

If you have questions about Ruroc you can ask them to them. Either by FB of by websubmit on their website.

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

Don't paint you helmet. Most manufacturer  advice against painting as the paint reacts with the 'plastic' of the helmet. It can change how it react to impact.

If you have questions about Ruroc you can ask them to them. Either by FB of by websubmit on their website.

I'm sure there are paints like plasti dip that are perfectly fine. Won't go ruining it without checking though. Cheers! 

Today I finally bought a helmet with mouth protection. I was using it today when I went home from work and I felt ridiculously safe with it. Now I have total full protection and it felt like I do not care if the wheel cuts me off in 30kmh++. A very nice relief.

My only problem is that it feels soooo big. It fits perfectly on my head, but the whole helmet is quite big in its design.

I prefer to be safe before looking good though since I use my wheel 10-15km everyday at least. In heavy traffic and rain and wet leaves.

Do you think it looks stupid? I mean it is just 30-35kmh. But i'm soo scared of destroying my teeth and face. I have been falling twice. One minor fall without any damage and one major accident with a lot of scratches and blood and destroyed clothes. I don't want it to happen again.

20180921_160527.jpg

Edited by Yffisch
  • Like 1

Doesn't look bad at all. I have been thinking of getting a full face Ruroc helmet, which are made for snowboarding. You can take off the chin bit and leave out the goggles which can have various color lenses. I do too think whether such a thing would look like an overkill on me, but on the other hand I value my jaw bone and teeth. Also, those are not the only thing you can break, ribs and collar bones break pretty easily, too. And what a painful heeling process a broken rib is.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Yffisch said:

Today I finally bought a helmet with mouth protection. I was using it today when I went home from work and I felt ridiculously safe with it. Now I have total full protection and it felt like I do not care if the wheel cuts me off in 30kmh++. A very nice relief.

My only problem is that it feels soooo big. It fits perfectly on my head, but the whole helmet is quite big in its design.

I prefer to be safe before looking good though since I use my wheel 10-15km everyday at least. In heavy traffic and rain and wet leaves.

Do you think it looks stupid? I mean it is just 30-35kmh. But i'm soo scared of destroying my teeth and face. I have been falling twice. One minor fall without any damage and one major accident with a lot of scratches and blood and destroyed clothes.

20180921_160527.jpg

it looks pretty normal for motocross, how much does it weight?
i would stay in the 500grams category when it comes to EUC helmets

30 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

it looks pretty normal for motocross, how much does it weight?
i would stay in the 500grams category when it comes to EUC helmets

I can't see the weight and I don't have a scale, but while googling on similar helmets this seems to be around 1200-1400 grams. It's quite heavy, but it feels awesome. I may consider a fullface BMX helmet instead of this one though. I still don't feel very comfortable with this big size, even though I value my jaw and teeth more. I bought this helmet for only $30 so it's not really a big deal if I don't use it.

Someone else who uses a cross helmet like this? If I had a 45-55kmh wheel, of course I would have used this helmet. But on a 30-35kmh wheel, it feels a bit overkill still.

E equals M at C squared is applied to the helmet design, hence the heavier the ride the more protection applied to helmet, and since the EUC is close to weight of the BMX a BMX helmet would be logical.
I am looking at the Ruroc series, looks sweet, lightweight, and comfortable, i have concluded this is the optimal since EUC Riding is like Skiing on pavement

Edited by Rob Valley

4 hours ago, Rob Valley said:

E equals M at C squared is applied to the helmet design, hence the heavier the ride the more protection applied to helmet, and since the EUC is close to weight of the BMX a BMX helmet would be logical.
I am looking at the Ruroc series, looks sweet, lightweight, and comfortable, i have concluded this is the optimal since EUC Riding is like Skiing on pavement

Why would the weight of the ride influence the protective requirements of the Helmet?  Wouldnt it have more to do with the potential injury from the specific application?  Motorcycle helmets designed for high speed, BMX helmets not so much..?

I am also looking at the Ruroc series but not so taken by the stormtrooper look if im honest.  Looks cool as shit side on, from the front a bit naff (just imo).  But still looks like the best option for a modular helmet i have come across so far..

Edited by Alex_from_NZ

1 hour ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Why would the weight of the ride influence the protective requirements of the Helmet?  Would it not have more to do with the potential injury from the specific application?  Motorcycle helmets designed for high speed, BMX helmets not so much..?

you should also apply newtons second law of motion to better understand whyand after that you understand  how that determines the protective standard of the helmet.

basically the more mass you are moving around will co-relate to the impact you have to take, just think about it.

Edited by Rob Valley
FTFY

17 minutes ago, Rob Valley said:

you should also apply newtons second law of motion to better understand whyand after that you understand  how that determines the protective standard of the helmet.

basically the more mass you are moving around will co-relate to the impact you have to take, just think about it.

Hrmm, I see what you are saying, but I would have thought we are not carrying the mass of the device at the point of the impact anymore with an EUC (bikes are different in this regard), as we have typically left the device at that point..?

14 hours ago, Rob Valley said:

E equals M at C squared is applied to the helmet design

E = mc2 has nothing to do with helmet design. That equation is about energy mass equivalence, and so is used to calculate the amount of energy create in nuclear reactions, when some mass is converted in to energy. It applies elsewhere too, but what you are thinking of it kinetic energy, E = 1/2 mv2. While the equations may look different, they're quite different. 'c' in Einstein's famous equation is a constant, the speed of light in a vacuum. 'v' in the kinetic energy equation  is the velocity of an object.