THE HELMET THREAD

9 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Yes it's you.

Helmets are single use. Seatbelts are also single use.

Go ask any decent helmet manufacturer what they have to say about dropping your helmet on concrete. Pretty sure all of them will say "no problem, please continue using it, nothing will have changed" .... not

FYI I am talking about full size helmets here that weigh > 700g. A simple bicycle or skateboard helmet will probably not have enough mass to actually cause significant internal damage to it when dropped.

Common misconception that if you drop your helmet you need to replace it.  Not true. 

After accident, yes, not simply dropping it from a bike.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddiemoy said:

Common misconception that if you drop your helmet you need to replace it.  Not true. 

After accident, yes, not simply dropping it from a bike.  

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/how-safe-is-your-bicycle-helmet/

We asked Peter Threlfall, Laboratory Manager at INSPEC International, the world's leading independent organisation for the testing of personal protective equipment. 

"Not every helmet is the same," acknowledges Threlfall, "but we can be pretty certain that if any helmet is subjected to a shock - such as dropping it - there will be at least some change to its construction, and possibly to its performance.

"Unfortunately, it is not possible for a test laboratory such as INSPEC to determine if this change will significantly reduce the performance characteristics of a given product, so I guess the choice comes down to the individual. You have to ask yourself: Does the risk of a head injury outweigh the cost of a new helmet?"

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 10:38 AM, ir_fuel said:

Just a pity that the front (gel) padding is missing in the one they sent me. I guess they'll just ship it afterwards. No big deal, although velcro pushing on your forehead isn't really comfortable :D 

Interesting policies they have at some online stores. I sent a support request concerning the missing padding in the front. 2 days later I receive 2 mails: one with a return ticket for my current helmet and another one with a tracking number for a new helmet.

I would have expected them to just send me the front pad (as they can be bought separately), but ok ... :) 

I haven't found any of the airwheel helmets mentioned in this thread. (can we search within a thread in this forum?)

And yes it is the Airwheel manufacturer of EUCs and this helmets look very interesting to me because of the included features (bluethooth speakerphone / actioncam / wifi / red backlight)

There are 3 different versions. C5/C6/C8. Personally I like the vintage look of the c6. 

Airwheel_c5.pngairwheel_c8.pngairwheel_c6.png

https://www.airwheel.net/de/product/c5
https://www.airwheel.net/de/product/c8
https://www.airwheel.net/de/product/c6 (150€ at amazon)

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

The problem is that the entire front of the face isn't protected. TBH people on bikes should also have chin protection. My girlfriend crashed with here race bike. She had to have stitches in her chin from faceplanting. If you go face first towards the ground at a decent speed it's pretty hard not to hit nose/jaw/cheek/chin on the pavement and only hit it with the top of your head.

The reason they don't is I presume because the brain is much more precious to protect, and that face wounds will heal better than brain damage. It's all a trade-off. Still better than no helmet whatsoever of course.

I agree that full-faced helmets are more appropriate for EUC use because of the manner in which we tend to fall.  We've been debating which other sport most closely resembles the type of falls we're most likely to experience with EUCs; my vote goes to downhill mountain biking, even though we're riding on pavement whereas they're usually on hard packed dirt.  Our crash trajectory is mostly forward and down like theirs is.  

I can understand why some feel like skateboarding is more similar and that's probably my second place vote.  I still don't have a solid understanding of the different safety properties of EPP foam compared to EPS, though.  In retrospect, I should've done more research on skate helmets, but I was already decided on some form of full-faced helmet.  

I can kind of understand why most road bike users don't use full face helmets because I assume a high % of their crashes aren't the over-the-handlebar type that would be best handled by a full-face.  My assumption is that their heads are more likely to undergo side impacts.  

24 minutes ago, Beowolve said:

I haven't found any of the airwheel helmets mentioned in this thread. (can we search within a thread in this forum?)

And yes it is the Airwheel manufacturer of EUCs and this helmets look very interesting to me because of the included features (bluethooth speakerphone / actioncam / wifi / red backlight)

There are 3 different versions. C5/C6/C8. Personally I like the vintage look of the c6. 

Airwheel_c5.pngairwheel_c8.pngairwheel_c6.png

https://www.airwheel.net/de/product/c5
https://www.airwheel.net/de/product/c8
https://www.airwheel.net/de/product/c6 (150€ at amazon)

I like the idea of the action cam capability.  EUC riding is such a shit-show, in terms of cars disregarding my safety, that I have wrestled with the idea of having a camera recording as potential evidence if the worst happens.  

15 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

I can kind of understand why most road bike users don't use full face helmets because I assume a high % of their crashes aren't the over-the-handlebar type that would be best handled by a full-face.  My assumption is that their heads are more likely to undergo side impacts.  

All depends on what you wear a helmet for. Is it because you think you will fall because of your own "fault"? (typical with downhill MTB, because of the terrain and speeds), or are you protecting yourself from cars/accidents?

14 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

that I have wrestled with the idea of having a camera recording as potential evidence if the worst happens.  

And what will you do with that footage, riding an illegal transportation device on the public road?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

All depends on what you wear a helmet for. Is it because you think you will fall because of your own "fault"? (typical with downhill MTB, because of the terrain and speeds), or are you protecting yourself from cars/accidents?

And what will you do with that footage, riding an illegal transportation device on the public road?

What is with all of this negative feedback from you? I get that it's nice to argue the other side sometimes, but just because these rules apply to you in your country, does not mean they apply to us in our country. An EUC is 100% legal in the city I live in under specific rules. Some people break the law and video footage is in every aspect a good thing even if you are riding an illegal device in your country.

To clarify, if you have video documentation, it is helpful in proving fault either for or against the EUC rider. If you were driving a car and someone riding one came out from nowhere and cut you off resulting in their crash, you would not want to be the one at fault. Same applies the other way if you were riding an EUC and a driver cut you off.

Edited by Esper
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Esper said:

What is with all of this negative feedback from you?

It's that time of the month I guess. There seem to be big differences in where it is allowed or not, depending on the state. Guess I could have worded this a bit better.?Sorry about that.

Just now, Esper said:

I get that it's nice to argue the other side sometimes, but just because these rules apply to you in your country, does not mean they apply to us in our country. An EUC is 100% legal in the city I live in under specific rules. Some people break the law and video footage is in every aspect a good thing even if you are riding an illegal device in your country.

We aren't even allowed to use dashcam/bodycam/helmetcam footage as official proof. Violation of privacy (I kid you not ...). 

It is legal to ride here (under specific rules)

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

We aren't even allowed to use dashcam/bodycam/helmetcam footage as official proof. Violation of privacy (I kid you not ...). 

Here in my country, we can film anything at any time (in public spaces) to be used in court as long as audio is also not recorded. But you can bypass this by having two devices, one for audio and one for video. 

Define: Public Spaces,
Any property not listed and posted as 'Private property.' Public space in example, supermarkets, gas stations, libraries, bars, etc.
This does not mean your EUC is allowed there, but video recording is allowed there.

• Like 1

A day or 2 ago I saw the downtown bicycle police wearing full face helmets. I need to find our what brand they are...they look pretty good.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-police-officers-get-new-bike-gear/269-519669717

Edited by Circuitmage
Edit: Found Link!

14 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

A day or 2 ago I saw the downtown bicycle police wearing full face helmets. I need to find our what brand they are...they look pretty good.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-police-officers-get-new-bike-gear/269-519669717

Look like Bell Super helmets. 

On 6/22/2018 at 10:38 AM, ir_fuel said:

OMGWFBBQ, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

This one seems to fit. Just a bit loose at the cheeks but the pads are replaceable. The box contains 12mm and 20mm pads (20mm were installed), but you can order 30 and 40mm too. I just ordered a set of 30mm pads. That should be a perfect fit.

Just a pity that the front (gel) padding is missing in the one they sent me. I guess they'll just ship it afterwards. No big deal, although velcro pushing on your forehead isn't really comfortable :D 

After 6 different helmets we're finally getting there :D. Light helmet, good ventilation and certification for the chin bar.

https://www.met-helmets.com/products/mtb/parachute

met-helmets-parachute-M98NX.jpg

Great helmet. Only issue is I seem to catch bugs with my ears now. ?

• Like 1

I've been kinda surprised that I actually prefer to wear my full-face helmet, even though it's heavier and bulkier (obviously!) than my traditional bike helmet alternatives.  It fits much better than either of my other helmets. 

It wasn't until I wore the the full-face for a while that I realized my other helmets don't fit as well as I'd believed they did.  It's a little scary that you can ignorantly "think" that you have a properly fitting helmet until you actually experience one that fits securely. 

My Bern will feel right when I first put it on, but it rides up to the top of my crown.  The Kali has an odd property of feeling loose even though it seems secure.  It's possible the Kali fit is proper and it's simply supposed to have more play than I'm aware of as part of it's design.    

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for a light weight helm offering a chin guard - like this one:

35845g8.jpg

This is I think an old helmet from 2012. If one of you would happen to know helmet companies offering similar gear I'd appreciate a link. I will probably purchase this MET Parachute helmet:

30j0ghc.png

Edited by Gunthor

18 hours ago, Gunthor said:

I will probably purchase this MET Parachute helmet:

@Gunthor from all the reviews & forum members that have mentioned this helmet, I don't think you can go wrong for a light weight helmet offering full protection with plenty of ventilation in the warmer temperatures. I say go for it, I'm sure you will be happy with your decision!

I am still undecided: Will I chosse the better ventilated Fox Racing Proframe helmet:
293j12p.jpg
or will I opt for the MET Parachute? If the Proframe will direct more bugs to my ears than the MET I will go for the Parachute. :)

1 hour ago, Gunthor said:

I am still undecided: Will I chosse the better ventilated Fox Racing Proframe helmet:
293j12p.jpg
or will I opt for the MET Parachute? If the Proframe will direct more bugs to my ears than the MET I will go for the Parachute. :)

That is one reason why I like MY TSG Pass helmet so much. No bugs in face risk.

On 6/26/2018 at 5:03 AM, Marty Backe said:

I thought bicycle helmets were designed for people leaning forward with their head lifted up, and also the majority of bicycle falls will be forward. A skateboard helmet better protects the back of the head because many of the falls can be backwards.

In most cases yes but there is bicycle helmet which protects the back of the head pretty well and is quite visible... and a little ugly but it work well for me ?

psycho).jpg

c73ce8aa489f89af40c8f3feb6be.jpg