9 hours ago, Esper said:

Its settled then, the SUPERMODULAR is going to be my next helm... as soon as it comes out. In the mean time. I'll make due with my 'ol bicycle helm. Thank you @fbhb for answering my questions!

Congratulations on making the decision to go with the New Supermodular. That helmet is definitely going to be something really special,  based on my experience with the RG1-DX I can assure you you will not regret your purchase.

• Upvote 1

No really a fan of those "Whoa we got a bad ass over here" helmet looks. 

That Atlas helmet is quite a hefty beast too: 1600g +/-50g. 

• Like 1

I figure the most important thing is having a chin bar, but finding a helmet that is engineered for low speed impacts would #2 on the list.  Problem is that the good tech is pricey unless you're willing to wait on finding a deal.

If I ever stumble across a good deal on a 6D ATB-1, I'll probably grab it.  Probably the best possible EUC helmet currently available.  Can be found for $400 US.      

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I figure the most important thing is having a chin bar, but finding a helmet that is engineered for low speed impacts would #2 on the list.

In that regard bike, ski, and skateboard helmets are going to be a lot better than motorcycle helmets.  I've been on a protracted search myself.  There are quite a few downhill MTB helmets that have chin bars and are good for low or mid speed impact and are both regular bike and DH certified (e.g. Fox Proframe, Bell Super DH). I'm looking for one that meets these criteria and also is good for multiple impacts (like skate helmets). So far the only one I've found like that is the POC Coron / Coron Air Spin, but those don't fit me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shemp said:

In that regard bike, ski, and skateboard helmets are going to be a lot better than motorcycle helmets.  I've been on a protracted search myself.  There are quite a few downhill MTB helmets that have chin bars and are good for low or mid speed impact and are both regular bike and DH certified (e.g. Fox Proframe, Bell Super DH). I'm looking for one that meets these criteria and also is good for multiple impacts (like skate helmets). So far the only one I've found like that is the POC Coron / Coron Air Spin, but those don't fit me.

I mostly agree about bike/skate helmets being better than motocross helmets because they're lighter and better ventilated.  The high end motocross helmets that incorporate low impact technology are an exception to that rule, but they are expensive.  There are few helmets that fall into that category; 6D, Bell's "Flex" line, and the Leatt are the only ones that come to mind.  The differences between the Leatt GPX (moto) and the DBX 6.0 (DH) are fairly minor...only a couple hundred grams mostly due to different material used for the ventilation system.  

POC are the other company that offer a legit looking low impact tech, as you mentioned.  I'd rather have one of the high end motocross helmets than either the Fox Proframe or the Bell Super DH, although both are very good helmets and probably more than sufficient for anyone here.  Neither of those bike helmets incorporate the new tech.  Nor does the Troy Lee Designs helmets that are also popular and good.  The key point being that my research has led me to believe that MIPS isn't as effective as the use of the g-form type material the high end helmets use.  

If I were in your shoes, I'd grab the 6D downhill helmet I saw discounted to around $250 after discount earlier today without a second thought.  If I was in the states, I'd have grabbed it instead of the Leatt.  

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shemp said:

These guys make a certified multiple impact full face helmet.  

https://shop.s1helmets.com/lifer-fullface/

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

for @Hunka Hunka Burning Love and the rest of u nerds. u know who u are.

https://h--tech.com/pages/iron-man-replica-helmet

That website was registered a couple of weeks ago.  Judging by the pricing, I'd be very leery about buying anything from them.  There's tons of phishing websites that try to lure people in who see the products that they really, really want :dribble:and try to make the pricing hard to resist.  I'm not saying this h--tech.com is one of them, but I'd very extremely careful.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/truth-about-russian-brides-1622473   :crying:

• Like 1

I like the idea of my helmet getting destroyed (and NOT my head). :efeff54d4a:

However, I don't understand 're-destructible' protection. Do we really want to take the chance that our head gear can 'take-another-hit'? :confused1:

What does 'certified multiple impact' even mean?  What are the actual certification parameters; (e.g. how much force/how many impacts)?

Is price/value driving this idea of reuse after collision or am I missing the point?

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 2

My Bell Super 3R worked to perfection during my accident.  Only a slight scar above my eye from the impact but my head and jaw survived.

As @Hunka Hunka Burning Love alluded to earlier be careful where you purchase your helmet. There are too many knock offs on the market with enticing low prices that would never pass an official DOT certification process. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like it offers superior visibility :unsure:  No doubt it's DOT rated too.

Well less chance to get bugs on visor ....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like it offers superior visibility :unsure:  No doubt it's DOT rated too.

Ohh I forgot to write this too...It don't need to be DOT rated...you will be Ironman so DOT doesn't matter. Superheroes don't need DOTs

• Like 1

Add the Kali Shiva 2.0 to the list of high-end helmets with the latest low impact tech.  Kali doesn't get enough attention for their helmets.