THE HELMET THREAD

9 hours ago, Esper said:

Its settled then, the SUPERMODULAR is going to be my next helm... as soon as it comes out. In the mean time. I'll make due with my 'ol bicycle helm. Thank you @fbhb for answering my questions!

Congratulations on making the decision to go with the New Supermodular. That helmet is definitely going to be something really special,  based on my experience with the RG1-DX I can assure you you will not regret your purchase.

• Upvote 1

I figure the most important thing is having a chin bar, but finding a helmet that is engineered for low speed impacts would #2 on the list.  Problem is that the good tech is pricey unless you're willing to wait on finding a deal.

If I ever stumble across a good deal on a 6D ATB-1, I'll probably grab it.  Probably the best possible EUC helmet currently available.  Can be found for $400 US.      

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I figure the most important thing is having a chin bar, but finding a helmet that is engineered for low speed impacts would #2 on the list.

In that regard bike, ski, and skateboard helmets are going to be a lot better than motorcycle helmets.  I've been on a protracted search myself.  There are quite a few downhill MTB helmets that have chin bars and are good for low or mid speed impact and are both regular bike and DH certified (e.g. Fox Proframe, Bell Super DH). I'm looking for one that meets these criteria and also is good for multiple impacts (like skate helmets). So far the only one I've found like that is the POC Coron / Coron Air Spin, but those don't fit me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shemp said:

In that regard bike, ski, and skateboard helmets are going to be a lot better than motorcycle helmets.  I've been on a protracted search myself.  There are quite a few downhill MTB helmets that have chin bars and are good for low or mid speed impact and are both regular bike and DH certified (e.g. Fox Proframe, Bell Super DH). I'm looking for one that meets these criteria and also is good for multiple impacts (like skate helmets). So far the only one I've found like that is the POC Coron / Coron Air Spin, but those don't fit me.

I mostly agree about bike/skate helmets being better than motocross helmets because they're lighter and better ventilated.  The high end motocross helmets that incorporate low impact technology are an exception to that rule, but they are expensive.  There are few helmets that fall into that category; 6D, Bell's "Flex" line, and the Leatt are the only ones that come to mind.  The differences between the Leatt GPX (moto) and the DBX 6.0 (DH) are fairly minor...only a couple hundred grams mostly due to different material used for the ventilation system.  

POC are the other company that offer a legit looking low impact tech, as you mentioned.  I'd rather have one of the high end motocross helmets than either the Fox Proframe or the Bell Super DH, although both are very good helmets and probably more than sufficient for anyone here.  Neither of those bike helmets incorporate the new tech.  Nor does the Troy Lee Designs helmets that are also popular and good.  The key point being that my research has led me to believe that MIPS isn't as effective as the use of the g-form type material the high end helmets use.  

If I were in your shoes, I'd grab the 6D downhill helmet I saw discounted to around $250 after discount earlier today without a second thought.  If I was in the states, I'd have grabbed it instead of the Leatt.  

Edited by mezzanine
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, novazeus said:

for @Hunka Hunka Burning Love and the rest of u nerds. u know who u are.

https://h--tech.com/pages/iron-man-replica-helmet

Looks like it offers superior visibility :unsure:  No doubt it's DOT rated too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shemp said:

These guys make a certified multiple impact full face helmet.  

https://shop.s1helmets.com/lifer-fullface/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

for @Hunka Hunka Burning Love and the rest of u nerds. u know who u are.

https://h--tech.com/pages/iron-man-replica-helmet

That website was registered a couple of weeks ago.  Judging by the pricing, I'd be very leery about buying anything from them.  There's tons of phishing websites that try to lure people in who see the products that they really, really want :dribble:and try to make the pricing hard to resist.  I'm not saying this h--tech.com is one of them, but I'd very extremely careful.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/truth-about-russian-brides-1622473   :crying:

• Like 1

I like the idea of my helmet getting destroyed (and NOT my head). :efeff54d4a:

However, I don't understand 're-destructible' protection. Do we really want to take the chance that our head gear can 'take-another-hit'? :confused1:

What does 'certified multiple impact' even mean?  What are the actual certification parameters; (e.g. how much force/how many impacts)?

Is price/value driving this idea of reuse after collision or am I missing the point?

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 2

My Bell Super 3R worked to perfection during my accident.  Only a slight scar above my eye from the impact but my head and jaw survived.

As @Hunka Hunka Burning Love alluded to earlier be careful where you purchase your helmet. There are too many knock offs on the market with enticing low prices that would never pass an official DOT certification process. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Well less chance to get bugs on visor ....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Ohh I forgot to write this too...It don't need to be DOT rated...you will be Ironman so DOT doesn't matter. Superheroes don't need DOTs

• Like 1

Soo .... the saga continues ...

Ordered 3 helmets:

TSG Advance XL

UVEX Jakkyl Hde XL

Alpina King Carapax 57-62cm

Conclusion:

TSG does not fit at all. Shape does not correspond to my head and there is a serious pressure point on the front right. I will give up on this brand. Not for me.

UVEX, what a joke. Looked like the best one, but my 59cm head doesn't even fit inside the max 61cm helmet. Feels more like a size smaller. 

Alpina is sort of ok. A bit too loose at my cheeks but it fits on my head like a cycling helmet. Just wonder about the level of protection it gives. Doesn't seem like there is any certification for the chin part. I do like the fact that it's so light, both in looks as in ventilation. Thicker cheek pads would be better. The UVEX one has really thick ones, they are perfect.

37 minutes ago, Esper said:

@ir_fuel We should see a picture of your noggin. I have never seen a head that large. But here is a suggestion. Put on a beanie and then measure your head. 

Funny thing is nobody seems to see it. Every time I went in to a motorcycle store to test helmets, they ask my size, I reply and this is always followed by "professional advice" of the salesperson insisting on "I would start by trying on an M first", which I do just to show I can't pull the damn thing over my head.

The problem is the shape. It's oval, not round, when looking from above. Hence the problem at the cheeks or the top.

For now Alpina King Carapax is the one I will keep, but I'll have the MET in 2 days so I'll see if that is better and which one I send back. According to the review it's not very suited for round heads, and it has extra cheek pads.

I'm also trying to get a lightweight helmet. I'd rather not have the motocross look when riding my euc. the MET is only 700g and has plenty of ventilation holes.

Anyway, I have time. Rockwheel hasn't shown up and the Z10 is still months away I presume.

17 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Funny thing is nobody seems to see it. Every time I went in to a motorcycle store to test helmets, they ask my size, I reply and this is always followed by "professional advice" of the salesperson insisting on "I would start by trying on an M first", which I do just to show I can't pull the damn thing over my head.

The problem is the shape. It's oval, not round, when looking from above. Hence the problem at the cheeks or the top.

For now Alpina King Carapax is the one I will keep, but I'll have the MET in 2 days so I'll see if that is better and which one I send back. According to the review it's not very suited for round heads, and it has extra cheek pads.

I'm also trying to get a lightweight helmet. I'd rather not have the motocross look when riding my euc. the MET is only 700g and has plenty of ventilation holes.

Anyway, I have time. Rockwheel hasn't shown up and the Z10 is still months away I presume.

I have a 61cm head, and look like a bloody egg on top... :D

Most helmets fit well, as long as they're big enough, but I'm all too used to having a pressure point at the very top of my head.

My favourite pet-peeve is the "one-size-fits-all" size of hats, caps, helmets, whatever. They NEVER fit me.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:10 PM, mezzanine said:

If I were in your shoes, I'd grab the 6D downhill helmet I saw discounted to around $250 after discount earlier today without a second thought.  If I was in the states, I'd have grabbed it instead of the Leatt.   

Thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out.

30 minutes ago, Shemp said:

Thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out.

Yeah, it might be too large a shell size if you're looking for a more compact look in a full-face, but that's the only criticism I can think of.  In terms of safety tech, it's tops.  Only problem is that the one I saw for $250 was only available in a LARGE size.  Should've mentioned that.  

Consider the Kali Shiva 2.0 if that isn't available.  

On 6/19/2018 at 9:41 PM, ir_fuel said:

OMGWFBBQ, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

This one seems to fit. Just a bit loose at the cheeks but the pads are replaceable. The box contains 12mm and 20mm pads (20mm were installed), but you can order 30 and 40mm too. I just ordered a set of 30mm pads. That should be a perfect fit.

Just a pity that the front (gel) padding is missing in the one they sent me. I guess they'll just ship it afterwards. No big deal, although velcro pushing on your forehead isn't really comfortable :D 

After 6 different helmets we're finally getting there :D. Light helmet, good ventilation and certification for the chin bar.

https://www.met-helmets.com/products/mtb/parachute

met-helmets-parachute-M98NX.jpg

• Like 3