Internet trouble?

Smoother

You can also use 'tracert' (trace route) to determine how many 'hops' it takes, and the time required at each hop,  to move a packet of data from the request ip# to the server's ip#

There are a few nodes that are slow to respond to the request for both 'electricunicycle.org' and 'forum.electricunicycle.org' requests:

for 'electricunicycle.org' the number of hops from my location is:

65972.JPG

looks like :

electricunicycle.org resolves to 173.236.176.231. According to our data this IP address belongs to New Dream Network, LLC and is located in Brea, California, United States. Please have a look at the information provided below for further details.

ISP/Organization New Dream Network, LLC
Location Brea 92821, California (CA), United States (US)

and for the route to 'forum.electricunicycle.org' the number of hops is:

65973.JPG

looks like :

We found that the organization for IP address 54.192.55.243 is Amazon.com in Seattle, Washington, United States.

"calyxpod.com resolves to 8 IP addresses that are all located in Seattle, Washington, United States. Please have a look at the information provided below for further details about individual IP addresses.

ISP/Organization Amazon.com
Location Seattle 98101, Washington (WA), United States (US)"

and for my route to 'Google.com'

65974.JPG

(We found that the organization for IP address 172.217.13.238 is Google in Mountain View, California, United States.)

2 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

The other thing to do is to try changing your PC's DNS server address. The DNS server translates the site URL (electricunicycle.org) into the site's IP address which is then used for routing and communication from your machine to the EUC forum server. Right now you are getting the DNS address automatically set via DHCP when you connect to the hotspot which is likely the server of your network provider. This is usually fine but if that is not reliable then you can have trouble resolving the URL to the address (which is what Bob was doing with a Ping. To change the DNS server you need to access your network settings on your PC for your wireless connection and change the DNS setting (at the bottom part of the network settings window) from DHCP assigned to manually assigned and then give it an address to use. I believe Google offers a free DNS server with the address of 8.8.8.8. You can also set their other one as a secondary server 8.8.4.4.

since I last posted, its been stable and reliable.  But when it face plants again, i'll lift the hood and check the plugs as you described @WARPed1701D  thanks

3 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

The other thing to do is to try changing your PC's DNS server address. The DNS server translates the site URL (electricunicycle.org) into the site's IP address which is then used for routing and communication from your machine to the EUC forum server. Right now you are getting the DNS address automatically set via DHCP when you connect to the hotspot which is likely the server of your network provider. This is usually fine but if that is not reliable then you can have trouble resolving the URL to the address (which is what Bob was doing with a Ping. To change the DNS server you need to access your network settings on your PC for your wireless connection and change the DNS setting (at the bottom part of the network settings window) from DHCP assigned to manually assigned and then give it an address to use. I believe Google offers a free DNS server with the address of 8.8.8.8. You can also set their other one as a secondary server 8.8.4.4.

OpenDNS is better. Here are the server IP addresses and config instructions. For added security and enhanced privacy, use dnscrypt

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Wow, you guys are so helpful.  Can I get some advice on Athletes foot too??!!:cheers:

81DbhUl-AoL._SY355_.jpg

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

Just looked at the App within my MiFi soap bar, and Flock me! Some douche bag outfit called MobiPlanet has signed me up for something and has been charging me £4.50 per week for service.  I have to send a STOP message.  My next bill is already at £39.46, not the usual £25.96.  I hate crooks like this.  The sim card in my box has no ability to reply to messages, so how can I have accepted some service. As it stands, I have to remove the sim and put it in a phone, just to send my STOP message.  UNBELIEVABLE.!! However, I don't think it's the reason for my outages.:furious:

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Mobiplanet/td-p/21110562

Search for MobiPlanet scam.  Contact MobiPlanet and credit card company to file a chargeback if you did not sign up for their service.

6 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Support/Mobiplanet/td-p/21110562

Search for MobiPlanet scam.  Contact MobiPlanet and credit card company to file a chargeback if you did not sign up for their service.

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, its a direct debit from my bank account, and a rolling 30 day contract, so I can't just get the money back, or cancel my account (credit report)  I will wheel up to the local store and ask them how I was supposed to accept a premium rate text when all my sim does is provide internet service from a dedicated MiFi box.  I'm not holding out much hope though.  "nothing to do with us," is the usual reply to stuff like this.  I've had it before on a real cell phone sim when entering a TV competition.  If you don't type "no info" when you enter, you've automatically signed up for some service that costs. 

Thanks, @Bob Eisenman that's quite interesting, way above my head, but interesting.

and @litewave Its still going strong, since last night, so I'll not mess with it until it crashes again.  Thanks for ALL your assistance.  I was only wondering if O was the only one, Didn't expect all this wonderful tech help.  You guys are great. :)

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Thanks, @Bob Eisenman that's quite interesting, way above my head, but interesting.

Everyone understands ping.

Tracert doesn't really allow the user to fix anything but delays in the route due to high internet traffic can be discovered.

'Traceroute shows us the path traffic takes to reach the website. It also displays the delays that occur at each stop. If you’re having issues reaching a website and that website is working properly, it’s possible there’s a problem somewhere on the path between your computer and the website’s servers. Traceroute would show you where that problem is."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.howtogeek.com/134132/how-to-use-traceroute-to-identify-network-problems/amp/&ved=0ahUKEwibr7ng2onYAhVDUd8KHRJmBgkQFghPMAY&usg=AOvVaw35of6agUhSDkk2u5v5RXvD&ampcf=1

Or

https://help.fasthosts.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1550/~/traceroute-explained

@Smoother....If I tracert 'electricunicycle.org'  and Google tells me that that server IP# is in Brea, CA

where my location is in the US and if you use tracert to determine the IP address of 'electricunicycle.org'  to be the same server IP address then your data route has to come 'across the pond' in some fashion...if you catch my thinking.

@Smoother,.....if I was still employed in the biotechnology field I might have a good reason to look at the 'European Molecular Biology Laboratory' website in Heidelberg, Germany at

www.embl.org

If I use tracert to view the data route to the website in Heidelberg I find:

66081.png

my interactions with the embl.org server go across the pond at node#8 (notice the numeric lag) in New York and arrive (presumably) in Hamburg before making additional hops between nodes along the way to embl.org in Heidelberg.

In conclusion.  Ironically I had no more service interruption after I double clicked the MiFi icon on the network page of Windows.  Still, I went to talk to Vodafone about Mobiplanet's charges.

Nothing they could refund.  Did put a block on my account so it couldn't happen again, Informed me that texting STOP would not stop the recurring billing, only texts, so that was good to know.  Had to call mobiplanet, (UME Limited, actually) and then email.  They have offered 50% refund, I'm holding out for 100% on principle.

When I did ask Vodafone about my continually dropping service, they said their service department would have to see if they could repair it (without a loaner); Like there's anything to repair in a £10 electronic box.  Its simply not economical to do it.  They had no in-store tech person who understands these internet protocols like you guys do.

Paid an additional £50 to buy outright a 4G MiFi, which is what I went in there for in the first place 9 months ago but:angry: they were out of stock and persuaded me 4G wasn't worth it ( why do I still fall for sales BS?)  Anyway, by buying it outright, I kept my £25 for 50GB deal, as the prices had gone up. And there was a £35 charge anyway for changing hardware, so it really only cost me an additional £15 to own it.

No connectivity problems so far.  Can't tell if it's connecting over 4G, as it can revert to 3G when needed.  Haven't notice any particular increase in speed.

Thanks again to all who read this thread and decided to help, and it was all good help too. 

On 12/15/2017 at 4:52 AM, Smoother said:

In conclusion.  Ironically I had no more service interruption after I double clicked the MiFi icon on the network page of Windows.  Still, I went to talk to Vodafone about Mobiplanet's charges.

Nothing they could refund.  Did put a block on my account so it couldn't happen again, Informed me that texting STOP would not stop the recurring billing, only texts, so that was good to know.  Had to call mobiplanet, (UME Limited, actually) and then email.  They have offered 50% refund, I'm holding out for 100% on principle.

When I did ask Vodafone about my continually dropping service, they said their service department would have to see if they could repair it (without a loaner); Like there's anything to repair in a £10 electronic box.  Its simply not economical to do it.  They had no in-store tech person who understands these internet protocols like you guys do.

Paid an additional £50 to buy outright a 4G MiFi, which is what I went in there for in the first place 9 months ago but:angry: they were out of stock and persuaded me 4G wasn't worth it ( why do I still fall for sales BS?)  Anyway, by buying it outright, I kept my £25 for 50GB deal, as the prices had gone up. And there was a £35 charge anyway for changing hardware, so it really only cost me an additional £15 to own it.

No connectivity problems so far.  Can't tell if it's connecting over 4G, as it can revert to 3G when needed.  Haven't notice any particular increase in speed.

Thanks again to all who read this thread and decided to help, and it was all good help too. 

Is that per month?  I pay $80 a month for cable tv bundled with internet.  Yours looks like a better deal.  So, it's a stand alone wifi hotspot that you tether to a laptop?

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Is that per month?  I pay $80 a month for cable tv bundled with internet.  Yours looks like a better deal.  So, it's a stand alone wifi hotspot that you tether to a laptop?

$80 per month with cable TV bundled and internet is bit high I think. 

15 hours ago, steve454 said:

That's just for a personal WiFi hotspot. I choose not to get the house connected up when I returned from Spain last March, because I knew I'd be off again within the year and didn't want to sign 12 month contract. I don't have a TV provider, just what comes from the antenna (freeview it's called here). My internet is on the slower side but it's acceptable. Plus I can take my hotspot on the road in the motor home, so that's a plus

8 minutes ago, Smoother said:

That's just for a personal WiFi hotspot. I choose not to get the house connected up when I returned from Spain last March, because I knew I'd be off again within the year and didn't want to sign 12 month contract. I don't have a TV provider, just what comes from the antenna (freeview it's called here). My internet is on the slower side but it's acceptable. Plus I can take my hotspot on the road in the motor home, so that's a plus

That seems like the way to go, for someone who travels a lot.  I had a wifi hotspot about 5 years ago, going to look into it again.

Archived