Internet trouble?

Smoother

I use a 3G connection (no Broadband service) and I keep getting disconnected.  At first, I thought it was my service, but, I've just spent 30 minutes on Amazon, with no problems, but when I returned to the forum tab, it's unavailable until I reboot my connection.

Anybody else experiencing connectivity issues with the forum?

forum.electricunicycle.org’s server IP address could not be found.

I had to reboot twice just to post this topic

57 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I use a 3G connection (no Broadband service) and I keep getting disconnected.  At first, I thought it was my service, but, I've just spent 30 minutes on Amazon, with no problems, but when I returned to the forum tab, it's unavailable until I reboot my connection.

Anybody else experiencing connectivity issues with the forum?

forum.electricunicycle.org’s server IP address could not be found.

I had to reboot twice just to post this topic

Sounds like a typical connection problem. The 3G service dropped the connection (momentarily) so the DNS queries are not answered, hence the IP Address for the website was not found. It  may seem that it is just electricunicylcle.org, but that is very unlikely.

thanks for all your input. Ive rebooted the dongle 4 times in the last 10 minutes

pc? yes

I think its only me.

sometimes, not today, I get a message saying that another device on my network is using the same IP address.  I just ignore it as I can't do anything about it.

one PC

one iphone

possible an iPad but I haven't opened it in weeks.

That's all on my "network"

22 minutes ago, Keith said:

I see that today a small UK internet provider managed to transmit broadband over a piece of wet string: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42338067

perhaps yours has just dried out?

Since we're cleaning up this cesspit of debauchery, I'll refrain from all possible innuendos regarding wetting a dried out string.  :rolleyes: or did I just do it?

Is forum.electricunicycle.org down?

It's just you. forum.electricunicycle.org is up.

5 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Since we're cleaning up this cesspit of debauchery, I'll refrain from all possible innuendos regarding wetting a dried out string.  :rolleyes: or did I just do it?

So, does this mean your device is going bad?  Google (insert your service provider) recent outages in your area, I was amazed to see how frequently my provider loses service all over the country.  But had no problem at all for years.

50 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Is forum.electricunicycle.org down?

It's just you. forum.electricunicycle.org is up.

One other possible scenario: your mobile service provider may have a caching service that simply sends back a cached copy of the url last page returned to save you bandwidth. T-mobile in the US calls this "Binge-On" - you can call customer service to verify. This feature may only activate when you are running low on data; if you have an unlimited plan then this may not apply. So, if there was a momentary connection error and the server could not be found, then that error page could be cached for a certain period of time, probably 30 minutes, or until the phone/connection is reset as you described.

I pay £25 a month for 50GB.  it's my main connection.  It's not ideal but come the spring I want to go traveling in my motorhome and didn't want to be tied into a  hard-wired broadband , contract when I last returned from an extended trip.  You miss a payment or stop paying and they ding your credit file pretty badly. I just looked at my "network" and the PC only sees itself and the modem, doesn't see the iPhone.

49 minutes ago, Smoother said:

sometimes, not today, I get a message saying that another device on my network is using the same IP address.  I just ignore it as I can't do anything about it.

This might be the clue to the issue.  Don't ignore that.  You could be having a network IP conflict that is giving you intermittent problems.  Can you log into your dongle (that sounds kinda dirty :rolleyes:) and check the settings?  I'm not familiar with 3G wireless cellular ethernet dongles, but maybe the DHCP configuration is messed up or the dongle is defective.  Maybe try letting it cool off unplugged for a while to see if there is any improvement.  How old is it?  How do your iDevices connect to the network?  One other thing to try is to set your PC IP address manually and specify one in your DHCP range.

10 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

This might be the clue to the issue.  Don't ignore that.  You could be having a network IP conflict that is giving you intermittent problems.  Can you log into your dongle (that sounds kinda dirty :rolleyes:) and check the settings?  I'm not familiar with 3G wireless cellular ethernet dongles, but maybe the DHCP configuration is messed up or the dongle is defective.  Maybe try letting it cool off unplugged for a while to see if there is any improvement.  How old is it?

Does sound a bit naughty. :unsure:   Yeah, you lost me at "log into..."  Don't know what the setting should be. It's about  9 months old.  Funny thing is, I went to my control panel about 20 minutes ago, then network, then I double clicked on the modem.  Nothing seemed to happen, but some message came up indicating something like "logging in".  Since then, I haven't had to reboot the modem once  AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING. There are times when I have to reboot 4 or 5 times in that time frame.  ANd its not a simple on/off switch.  Theres a certain, slow, technique required, owing to the electronic switch.  It's a real PITA. (Can I say that?)  Now, If I can "submit reply" without a crash, I'll know I'm maybe onto something, or I just lucked out for a while.

EDIT  wow it worked.  Oh yeah, its a MiFi device (looks like a used bar of soap (without hairs embedded in it) everything connects to it via WiFi, no ports, except micro USB for charging 

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

This might be the clue to the issue.  Don't ignore that.  You could be having a network IP conflict that is giving you intermittent problems.  Can you log into your dongle (that sounds kinda dirty :rolleyes:) and check the settings?  I'm not familiar with 3G wireless cellular ethernet dongles, but maybe the DHCP configuration is messed up or the dongle is defective.  Maybe try letting it cool off unplugged for a while to see if there is any improvement.  How old is it?  How do your iDevices connect to the network?  One other thing to try is to set your PC IP address manually and specify one in your DHCP range.

I agree. Try releasing your IP using CMD (under Start>all Programs>Accessories) and type 'ipconfig /release' and then 'ipconfig /renew' and see what happens...

6 minutes ago, RayRay said:

I agree. Try releasing your IP using CMD (under Start>all Programs>Accessories) and type 'ipconfig /release' and then 'ipconfig /renew' and see what happens...

When it falls over again, I'll try that.  thanks.

Wow, you guys are so helpful.  Can I get some advice on Athletes foot too??!!:cheers:

16 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Does sound a bit naughty. :unsure:   Yeah, you lost me at "log into..."  Don't know what the setting should be. It's about  9 months old.  Funny thing is, I went to my control panel about 20 minutes ago, then network, then I double clicked on the modem.  Nothing seemed to happen, but some message came up indicating something like "logging in".  Since then, I haven't had to reboot the modem once  AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING. There are times when I have to reboot 4 or 5 times in that time frame.  ANd its not a simple on/off switch.  Theres a certain, slow, technique required, owing to the electronic switch.  It's a real PITA. (Can I say that?)  Now, If I can "submit reply" without a crash, I'll know I'm maybe onto something, or I just lucked out for a while.

There could also be a security issue. Strongly recommend you call your mobile service provider and ask them to assist you to change the cellular modem (mobile hotspot) password (hopefully it's not still the default password for the device :blink1:) as well as your wifi password (make sure you are using wpa2 personal or enterprise) and to configure the device properly for your setup. This can be confusing – even daunting – if you are not well-acquainted with the interface and settings.

27 minutes ago, litewave said:

There could also be a security issue. Strongly recommend you call your mobile service provider and ask them to assist you to change the cellular modem (mobile hotspot) password (hopefully it's not still the default password for the device :blink1:) as well as your wifi password (make sure you are using wpa2 personal or enterprise) and to configure the device properly for your setup. This can be confusing – even daunting – if you are not well-acquainted with the interface and settings.

Password has been changed, but I don't remember it :facepalm:   I keep telling myself I'm going to wheel up there one day, and throw it through their front window "Discount Tire" style, or start the 30-day "goodbye" clock.  But I haven't got a round tuit.  Then, it starts working, like this, and I say, flock it, I'll keep it for another day.

Just looked at the App within my MiFi soap bar, and Flock me! Some douche bag outfit called MobiPlanet has signed me up for something and has been charging me £4.50 per week for service.  I have to send a STOP message.  My next bill is already at £39.46, not the usual £25.96.  I hate crooks like this.  The sim card in my box has no ability to reply to messages, so how can I have accepted some service. As it stands, I have to remove the sim and put it in a phone, just to send my STOP message.  UNBELIEVABLE.!! However, I don't think it's the reason for my outages.:furious:

The other thing to do is to try changing your PC's DNS server address. The DNS server translates the site URL (electricunicycle.org) into the site's IP address which is then used for routing and communication from your machine to the EUC forum server. Right now you are getting the DNS address automatically set via DHCP when you connect to the hotspot which is likely the server of your network provider. This is usually fine but if that is not reliable then you can have trouble resolving the URL to the address (which is what Bob was doing with a Ping. To change the DNS server you need to access your network settings on your PC for your wireless connection and change the DNS setting (at the bottom part of the network settings window) from DHCP assigned to manually assigned and then give it an address to use. I believe Google offers a free DNS server with the address of 8.8.8.8. You can also set their other one as a secondary server 8.8.4.4.

Archived