GotWay Tesla 1020 unboxing, first thoughts and comparison

Bryan Wells

> When you fall will you know why you fell?
Rarely certain. Sometimes good ideas. Sometimes no idea. I have video of one (non EUC) fall, where by studying video frame by frame I found out: what I "knew" happened was actually not what happened.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, duaner said:

> When you fall will you know why you fell?
Rarely certain. Sometimes good ideas. Sometimes no idea. I have video of one (non EUC) fall, where by studying video frame by frame I found out: what I "knew" happened was actually not what happened.

I've had at least one fall where I still have no idea what caused it.  Suspects, but no smoking gun.

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

why on earth did he even fall?

I don't think we have a conclusive answer to that.

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

it looked more like a cut out to me

same here

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

unicycle rolls foward

yes, exactly, it looks strange and funny, if it only were funny

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

and mistake is: He has his legs straight not bent so insted of his legs bending to absorb chock he just jumps up and fals hard on front side of the pedals thus throwing the pedals fast foward And unicycle stops

I don't think you can know from the vid how soft his knees were, but yeah, I agree that stiff knees may have been a contributing factor. His body posture seems pretty decent to me and he doesn't lose it even when the wheel under him just flips forward and disappears under his soles.

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

and he falls 

(EDIT: he rides over very small bump while looking at phone (you can see as he falls he slings his hand with the phone outwards to save it)

Yes, going down in style, kind-of impressive.

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Ah, but you missed the connection with my previous post.  "Experience comes from poor judgment" yes.......But it doesn't have to be YOUR poor judgement.:)   There's another saying: "learn from other people's mistakes".

However, you seem to be picking it up very quickly. Is that the leg nearest the trolley handle?  A lot of EUC have poorly designed leg padding.  Others have complained about the handle rubbing the leg on the Tesla, but then they say it goes away.  Maybe it will go in a day or two.

For experienced riders it goes away after a couple of days. Since @Shad0z is new to riding, it may take a couple of weeks.

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

Ah, but you missed the connection with my previous post.  "Experience comes from poor judgment" yes.......But it doesn't have to be YOUR poor judgement.:)   There's another saying: "learn from other people's mistakes".

However, you seem to be picking it up very quickly. Is that the leg nearest the trolley handle?  A lot of EUC have poorly designed leg padding.  Others have complained about the handle rubbing the leg on the Tesla, but then they say it goes away.  Maybe it will go in a day or two.

i see but its the padding where i hits me knee it will probably go away im max riding 35 kph and thats only when i find a very straight flat road with nothing on it otherwise its 25-30

• 5 weeks later...

(i know im late. but better to be late than not be)

how can you.. youre betraying the camera entusiasts. youre using fake bokeh blur... you will not get away this this  :furious:

nahh just kiddin :D i just noticed it.. 

here a photo i took.. just to add to some of your amazing shots ;)  i was actually inspired by your photos to take this picture

gotway tesla. in all its beauty

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2018 at 12:54 AM, Shad0z said:

how can you.. youre betraying the camera entusiasts. youre using fake bokeh blur... you will not get away this this  :furious:

here a photo i took.. just to add to some of your amazing shots ;)  i was actually inspired by your photos to take this picture

lol yeah i know all about the iphone dual lens shinnanagins, I actually teach photography with real slr's but i wasn't riding with one haha

5 minutes ago, Bryan Wells said:

lol yeah i know all about the iphone dual lens shinnanagins, I actually teach photography with real slr's but i wasn't riding with one haha

not an iphone...

some photoshop and a lumia 950 (LEGENDARY CAMERA)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2018 at 3:54 AM, Shad0z said:

Very nice shot of a well used wheel.

16 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

Very nice shot of a well used wheel.

Well. It was muddy. So cleaning it was pointless.. And the mud got on pedals. So it smooth out some of the grip tape...

so it looked looked like it had been used a lot.. And to be fair.. It has 1.5 month and 1000km 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2018 at 7:15 AM, Shad0z said:

the gotway tesla just became even sexier :D 

now theyre using carbon textured shells. not just side panels. so... nice

gotway tesla new shell

Where did you see this from? I presume Jason's order will have this new shell as I understand his shipment came out of the factory 4 weeks ago. Also a supposedly more reliable control board. I'm getting more tempted to consider the Tesla because I'm afraid the new 18" wheels will be too much in an urban area, metro, small shops etc.. not quite sure but I got the sense here people recommend going for the new 18" wheels shipping this summer over the current gen of 16" wheels, even this Tesla? Well thinking about it more as I type this, I guess the comparison to make for 'top-in-class' 16" wheels is between  the tesla, V10F and ACMv2, right? 

3 hours ago, Glitched said:

Where did you see this from? I presume Jason's order will have this new shell as I understand his shipment came out of the factory 4 weeks ago. Also a supposedly more reliable control board. I'm getting more tempted to consider the Tesla because I'm afraid the new 18" wheels will be too much in an urban area, metro, small shops etc.. not quite sure but I got the sense here people recommend going for the new 18" wheels shipping this summer over the current gen of 16" wheels, even this Tesla? Well thinking about it more as I type this, I guess the comparison to make for 'top-in-class' 16" wheels is between  the tesla, V10F and ACMv2, right? 

16 and 18 inch wheels are apples and oranges. Best not to compare them directly.

In my opinion the Tesla and ACM2 are in a different class than the V10F. Not necessarily better, but different. I would say the V10F belongs more in the KS16S class although the V10F (when running with good firmware) is a superior wheel to the KS16S, unless you are shopping based on price.

The V10F and KS16S are more refined wheels. The Tesla and ACM2 are more raw wheels (including more power). Although I will say the Tesla has a particularly smooth ride, but it'll let you ride it full steam into the ground whereas the Inmotion and KingSong wheels will protect you from yourself.

I also did a test-drive of 1KWh Tesla this weekend, feels like levitating above the ground, wheel is fast and nimble.

It still is painful to disassemble to repair a puncture, doesn't have wireless firmware update from app and kinda dives pedals into sharp turns.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 2:51 PM, Bryan Wells said:

Here is what i have so far of the new Tesla

Unboxing

Part 2 of the unboxing

Outside pics

38298685374_e9c8e7c321_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

25144217728_c3a7e20d35_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

38298685754_f82733044b_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

Some side by side to the Ninebot for size comparison

25166088618_901af9b878_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

38151952665_b4e90504e4_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

27261044809_594b339eaa_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

25166088698_962bac4f4c_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr 

so far pros/cons

cons: 

the leg pads do hurt after a while because the battery protrusion is a little wide at the top 

the original charger takes 8 hours to fully charge

the trolley handle is a little bit flimsy 

the rear has no rear facing tail light

no auto off switch when lifted off of the ground

you cannot change the actual color pattern of the ring lights

due to the weight speed and power of this wheel i would not recommend it as a first wheel, i just don't think it could take too many crashes at it's  high speeds on concrete, it's like a super car, fast as hell, but please don't scratch! lol

Pros:

the raw power of this wheel is ridiculous, hill climbing feels unlimited

the top speed is also ridiculous and the power makes the speeds feel super locked in and in control 

you can fully adjust tilt back/alarm

by farrrr the quietest and smoothest wheel i have ridden (cant even begin to explain this)

the weight of the wheel makes a 16" tire feel very very stable and it really does absorb sidewalk cracks better than even my ks-18

the fact that it DOES still have a trolley handle

the headlight is even brighter than the ks-18 (really nice)

lights look amazing!! and even the ring light is bright and has a good brake light system. the battery light is great to see while riding

the over all visual of this wheel is the first wheel that really looks top notch, it does not have that toy-ish feel or look

I cannot stress this enough, the way it rides is 100% perfect in my opinion, it is THE do it all wheel. you can go far, turn sharp, go fast, climb hills, walk next to it, throw it in a smaller shopping cart, really anything.

other thoughts:

if you like stiff responsive pedal feel than this is your wheel, but not if you like the soft mushy solowheel feel.

in the end I could not be happier and this thing blew the doors off of my expectations.

Nice pics

Archived