GotWay Tesla 1020 unboxing, first thoughts and comparison

Bryan Wells

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love This is the worst shell blowout of the NYC Gotway Tesla riders I've seen:

QvZoJaE.jpgHqfbK9f.jpgD3c4MT3.jpg

:blink:  Omigosh, was it a taxi or a bus that ran over it?  That should buff right out with a little elbow grease.  :whistling:  Oh well, one thing for sure, there's plenty of cooling air now to keep the control board from overheating!  Yeeks.  Did it still run?

Maybe Gotway should consider incorporating a magnesium support spine at the top like what Ninebot Ones have and shell parts made of Lexan or maybe replaceable shell covers made from the same stuff hard shelled Heys luggage is made of.  They take a beating going onto planes and conveyor belts.  Copy the good things from Ninebot and make it your own basically.

BTW @Bryan Wells - I think "comparison" only has one "i" in it.  :smartass:

9 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Omigosh, was it a taxi or a bus that ran over it?  That should buff right out with a little elbow grease.  :whistling:  Oh well, one thing for sure, there's plenty of cooling air now to keep the control board from overheating!  Yeeks.

Maybe Gotway should consider incorporating a magnesium support spine at the top like what Ninebot Ones have and shell parts made of Lexan or maybe replaceable shell covers made from the same stuff hard shelled Heys luggage is made of.  They take a beating going onto planes and conveyor belts.  Copy the good things from Ninebot and make it your own basically.

oops, yeah my bad made the thread on my phone lol, fixed it.

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:  Omigosh, was it a taxi or a bus that ran over it?  That should buff right out with a little elbow grease.  :whistling:  Oh well, one thing for sure, there's plenty of cooling air now to keep the control board from overheating!  Yeeks.

Have you seen how those NYC guys rides their wheels? I can't believe that damage occurred from just dropping the wheel under typical conditions.

4 hours ago, Xolition said:

Needs waaaaaaaay more tire pressure. Looks like it's flat. Don't get why people don't check this out of the box!

But less tire-pressure = more stability, isn't it? I mean, such a tire offers a flat, squarish contact patch i.e. giving the wheel a wider base to balance on while a high-pressured tire only offers a single point of contact i.e. making it more agile, nervous and maneuverable? No? :innocent1:

19 hours ago, Meng Yang said:

But less tire-pressure = more stability, isn't it? I mean, such a tire offers a flat, squarish contact patch i.e. giving the wheel a wider base to balance on while a high-pressured tire only offers a single point of contact i.e. making it more agile, nervous and maneuverable? No? :innocent1:

High tire pressure makes the wheel more nervous on tilting input. But if one could actually balance on a large contact patch, one should be able to put up the wheel or a bicycle on a poorly inflated tire upright. One can't unless it stands on the rim. Low tire pressure makes twisting more difficult, which means requiring more force for balancing.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love

You can change between rotating lights or battery shown all time, it are different llights modes.

@Bryan Wells

You said you didnt reach tiltback.....

You know that this wheel has an adjustable tiltback from 3 to 48kmh(can be also set to OFF)......but no "last warning" tiltback? It only has a audible warning by 80% speed(about 50kmh) but no tiltback anymore then, after the audible last alarm the cutoff will come. Just in case you didnt know....

When you are refering to the KS18a....you have to have in mind your  18A 800W 30kmh is a 2 year old wheel type!.

It is in no way comparable to a nowadays 18S 1500W, which goes 50kmh, has ultra rockhard pedal settings(only Tesla is a bit harder), is powerfull as nearly no other 18inch, and can also be idling very easyly, breaklights working also flawless :-)

Yes I know there is adjustable tilt back I mention that in the video that I set it to 26 mph and still haven't hit that 26.

When referring to the ks,  I am aware of what's out there that's why specify which version I have ,  but one thing for sure,  idling with the shell that the case 18 has there's nowhere near as good, all low-speed maneuverability with that shell shape I still hate on the 18

1 hour ago, Bryan Wells said:

Yes I know there is adjustable tilt back I mention that in the video that I set it to 26 mph and still haven't hit that 26.

When referring to the ks,  I am aware of what's out there that's why specify which version I have ,  but one thing for sure,  idling with the shell that the case 18 has there's nowhere near as good, all low-speed maneuverability with that shell shape I still hate on the 18

I am totally with you, idling and maneuverablity is very difficult on the Ks18, especially when comparing to the nimble Tesla blast :-)

Sorry, didnt hear that with the 26mph...just wanted to warn in case you dont know!

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

I am totally with you, idling and maneuverablity is very difficult on the Ks18, especially when comparing to the nimble Tesla blast :-)

Sorry, didnt hear that with the 26mph...just wanted to warn in case you dont know!

It's all good @KingSong69 yeah i talk quiet and the wind noise is an issue in the camera while riding and talking.

On another note, I have found some interesting calibration settings that I have began to like s lot the more i ride it, by putting setting the calibration forward about 1.8-2.2 degrees everything feels a lot more natural.

5 hours ago, Bryan Wells said:

putting setting the calibration forward about 1.8-2.2 degrees everything feels a lot more natural.

I’m surprised you like forward lean. On all my wheels I prefer the opposite. I have a few degrees leaning back, at speed the wheel feels way more balanced with less pressure on my toes.

3 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

I’m surprised you like forward lean. On all my wheels I prefer the opposite. I have a few degrees leaning back, at speed the wheel feels way more balanced with less pressure on my toes.

yeah, it's an odd feeling but it's growing on me to have forward lean a little. everyone has a "perfect setting"

7 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Same here. Prefers a bit of backwards lean - better for agility. However, after an hour or so, my Tesla will gradually go back to its default lean angle i.e. slight forward lean. But doesn't matter, coz by then I'm already in tune with the wheel.

Archived