38298685754_f82733044b_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

Some side by side to the Ninebot for size comparison

25166088618_901af9b878_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

38151952665_b4e90504e4_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

27261044809_594b339eaa_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

25166088698_962bac4f4c_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr 

so far pros/cons

cons: 

the leg pads do hurt after a while because the battery protrusion is a little wide at the top 

the original charger takes 8 hours to fully charge

the trolley handle is a little bit flimsy 

the rear has no rear facing tail light

no auto off switch when lifted off of the ground

you cannot change the actual color pattern of the ring lights

due to the weight speed and power of this wheel i would not recommend it as a first wheel, i just don't think it could take too many crashes at it's  high speeds on concrete, it's like a super car, fast as hell, but please don't scratch! lol

Pros:

the raw power of this wheel is ridiculous, hill climbing feels unlimited

the top speed is also ridiculous and the power makes the speeds feel super locked in and in control 

you can fully adjust tilt back/alarm

by farrrr the quietest and smoothest wheel i have ridden (cant even begin to explain this)

the weight of the wheel makes a 16" tire feel very very stable and it really does absorb sidewalk cracks better than even my ks-18

the fact that it DOES still have a trolley handle

the headlight is even brighter than the ks-18 (really nice)

lights look amazing!! and even the ring light is bright and has a good brake light system. the battery light is great to see while riding

the over all visual of this wheel is the first wheel that really looks top notch, it does not have that toy-ish feel or look

I cannot stress this enough, the way it rides is 100% perfect in my opinion, it is THE do it all wheel. you can go far, turn sharp, go fast, climb hills, walk next to it, throw it in a smaller shopping cart, really anything.

other thoughts:

if you like stiff responsive pedal feel than this is your wheel, but not if you like the soft mushy solowheel feel.

in the end I could not be happier and this thing blew the doors off of my expectations.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bryan Wells said:

9qFQJrY.jpg

Cropped dog out of CONTEXT by Hunka, on Imgur 

so far pros/cons

cons: 

the leg pads do hurt after a while because the battery protrusion is a little wide at the top ...

So it's not just me!  Whew, finally someone with bulgy calf muscles like mine.  :w00t2:  First I thought maybe it's just me, I'm not that tall, got the wide DD calves, but nope thanks for the confirmation!  I had a chance to ride my Ninebot to the mailbox yesterday, and wow it's like going back to an emaciated wheel.  Weird how big of a difference there is in riding comfort.  My calves are almost healed so I hope to give it another try with my foam add-ons.  Maybe my legs aren't as bowed as some people?

21 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

It's posts like this that make me want to get one of these.  The perfect do-it-all wheel?  Aside from riding seated, this sounds awesome.

At first I was contemplating this or a ks 16s,  but after riding this and having the ability to go as fast as it can if you need it to and especially have that extra torque  it's not even a question anymore the Tesla wins hands-down 

Are the side panels tearing off or are you talking about damage to those glossy half shells?  Or both?  I was thinking of trying to reinforce the screw retainers inside the shell as they are little plastic stalks.  Maybe some JB Weld or Lego/Acetone reinforcement might help.  That way even if the screws get stripped, I could maybe use larger ones.  If they wanted to use small, dinky miniature screws, why not design the shell to have like 10 of them so if some get damaged there are some reinforcements?  :rolleyes:   When oh when is Gotway going to move to Ninebot One Style side panel retaining bolts with matching brass inserts?

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Are the side panels tearing off or are you talking about damage to those glossy half shells?  Or both?  I was thinking of trying to reinforce the screw retainers inside the shell as they are little plastic stalks.  Maybe some JB Weld or Lego/Acetone reinforcement might help.  That way even if the screws get stripped, I could maybe use larger ones.  If they wanted to use small, dinky miniature screws, why not design the shell to have like 10 of them so if some get damaged there are some reinforcements?  :rolleyes:   When oh when is Gotway going to move to Ninebot One Style side panel retaining bolts with matching brass inserts?

It probably wouldn't help that much, with the heavier weight from the batteries,and the faster riding speed.  The ninebot uses Lexan plastic also, mine has been dropped many times at low speed  while learning to ride backwards and trying 180 to reverse with no major damage to the shell, just scuffs.

However, there have been no drops on pavement, yet.  I don't practice tricks on concrete yet, but I remember @Jonathan Tolhurst  bent the frame on his doing low speed training.  That reminds me, he was supposed to be getting a Kingsong a few weeks ago, I wonder if he got it and has been doing tricks on it yet?:popcorn:

It could have been 10 (2 sec) or 20 (4 sec) or more beeps, depending on your speed. The Final Alarm produces 5 beeps per second, so if you keep above 30 mph, the 5 beeps/sec routine will repeat itself, making it sound continuous. Its telling the rider that it has almost reached it max. speed, which should be around 55 kph.

12 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

The constant beeping is the Final Alarm; basically telling you its operating at 80% power i.e. the wheel does not have much reserves left, so do not speed up too much or risk cutout.

Does it do any kickback at all? Or is it just angry beeping before cutting out?

5 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

The constant beeping is the Final Alarm; basically telling you its operating at 80% power i.e. the wheel does not have much reserves left, so do not speed up too much or risk cutout.

Well, that's what I thought.  I love the beeps.  I wish my ninebot would do that.  Or say to me, slow down, you are at maximum speed!:blink:

5 minutes ago, Knifa said:

Does it do any kickback at all? Or is it just angry beeping before cutting out?

The kickback/tiltback can be self-adjusted via phone app. In stock form, there's tiltback. For me, I prefer disable tiltback. I also disable all alarms (except Final Alarm which cannot be disabled). The Final Alarm is pretty loud. The highest speed I dare tried was 53 kph. Even amidst the loud wind in my ears, I can hear the loud beeping. So no problem. Every time I hear this beep, I slow down marginally.

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Well, that's what I thought.  I love the beeps.  I wish my ninebot would do that.  Or say to me, slow down, you are at maximum speed!:blink:

Yeah. The Final Alarm is a very useful feature to let the rider maximum fun on the wheel. At 100% battery level, the Final Alarm comes on at 48 kph. At 20% battery level, the Final Alarm comes on at 35 kph. Thus, we don't have to worry about cutouts from dropping battery levels, coz as long as we push the wheel up to its Final Alarm, we are safe. I really had fun for up to 2 hours riding at the Final Alarms the entire way.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love This is the worst shell blowout of the NYC Gotway Tesla riders I've seen:

QvZoJaE.jpgHqfbK9f.jpgD3c4MT3.jpg

Including the above, most were caused by drops from unseen divots/bumps, to wheels belonging to riders of all levels. Not all were as bad as the above.

Most involved the side panel popping off, which makes sense, being that it is I believe only fixed in place by 4 screws (if I am remembering that correctly).

One fellow rider I was helping out (not the above pics) had the screw hole base foundation chip off entirely on his Tesla, so watch out for that, plus I wouldn't hard-tighten any screws on the shell as the plastic does not seem to be strong enough to take such force.

8 minutes ago, Meng Yang said:

:)Hope these protective covers (V8) will provide a bit more protection for my vulnerable baby Tessie. :innocent1:

5a0c3c0c1ca22_TeslainV8OEMcover.thumb.jpg.304bcfd09125d35930726f06446eea50.jpg5a0c3c11a3db7_TeslainV8transparentcover.thumb.jpg.f322d4299e2beacbe6a82abf729f8a83.jpg

That might help keep all the broken bits together in one place, so you can glue it all back together later. Like when you drop a thermal jug with a glass vacuum tube. PTISHH, all broken, but all contained.

yeah the above is definitely scary to think about, this is why you must pay soooo much attention to what is right in front of the tire path at all times. Currently i have my tilt back set at 26MPH/42kph and the second alarm disabled, i have not hit either the tilt back or alarm once. my max speed so far is 24.7mph and my ave fast pace is 20mph and i am more than happy with that!

I would like a good cover, are the inmotion v8 covers the only real option here? has anyone made there own possibly thicker? 

24178537177_c0bdc7c567_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

38158406035_6392a4e642_h.jpgUntitled by Jen Wells, on Flickr

I think no cover will protect the Tesla from cracking up with a good smash after a high-speed fall. The covers are just there to prevent scratches, and that's good enough for me. I've had the OEM grey V8 cover on my Inmotion V8 for the past year, and the sides are still relatively scratch-free despite multiple falls. The material is quite thick, though you can't see the LEDs. The transparent one is less protective but shows off the LEDs.

Archived