My KS18S Review and Ongoing Observations

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Here's the conclusion to the KS18S stress test. Some more commentary throughout the video with a summary at the end.

For those who want to know what happens when the KS18S overheats at 80-degrees Celsius, you'll enjoy this.

The KS18S is a hell of good wheel. I say it's a great wheel. I still have a range test to complete before posting a video review of this wheel, so more to follow.

Nice!  I've never heard that message before.  I'm interested in what happens to the wheel when that message is sounding.  Does it limit your power?  Does it stop?  Slow down?

The only one i've heard is caution slow down...  LOL

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Nice video Marty!  I’m glad to see the 18s held up strong.  When it overheated, did you encounter tilt back right when the verbal warning alarmed?  Looking forward to seeing your range test.

Yes, your KS18S is doing well. And you'll be happy to know that I haven't dropped it once (except for that ride we did together :().

Oh yeah, when she overheats it tilts-back BIG TIME. There is no way you're going to continue riding. The KS14S behaves the same way (and it overheated on the same hill, but further down).

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Nice!  I've never heard that message before.  I'm interested in what happens to the wheel when that message is sounding.  Does it limit your power?  Does it stop?  Slow down?

The only one i've heard is caution slow down...  LOL

That's the overheat sound. Requires 80-degrees Celsius so you better have some tough hills if you ever want to hear it.

Along with the voice warning you get severe tilt-back which dumps you off the wheel real quick. It behaves identically to the KS14S. Same temperature too.

So Marty, excellent video, looks like a beautiful trail. Do you think your Tesla which obviously has more torque could do the same? Or is it just too risky to try?

33 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

So Marty, excellent video, looks like a beautiful trail. Do you think your Tesla which obviously has more torque could do the same? Or is it just too risky to try?

You must have missed my two-part Tesla stress test, filmed on the identical hill (but I didn't take all of the same trails).

22 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

You must have missed my two-part Tesla stress test, filmed on the identical hill (but I didn't take all of the same trails).

Different trails, same hill, similar slopes, the Tesla seemed to go up faster and easier, but like you said, 18 vs 16 is not fair to directly compare.

Something I noticed the first Tesla video, the wheel sounds different.  The jet plane sound is still there, but much quieter.  But now there is a different electronic noise that has some lower frequencies that kind of remind me of Star Wars Tie fighters.  Anyone else notice the different sound?  It's louder when the camera is in front of the wheel.  Doesn't sound bad, just a lot different.

Just now, steve454 said:

Different trails, same hill, similar slopes, the Tesla seemed to go up faster and easier, but like you said, 18 vs 16 is not fair to directly compare.

Something I noticed the first Tesla video, the wheel sounds different.  The jet plane sound is still there, but much quieter.  But now there is a different electronic noise that has some lower frequencies that kind of remind me of Star Wars Tie fighters.  Anyone else notice the different sound?  It's louder when the camera is in front of the wheel.  Doesn't sound bad, just a lot different.

YES! The Tesla has the best sound of any performance wheel. Looks like the Gotway engineers figured out how to get rid of that whine. Now it's just a pleasant humming sound. The KS18S is very loud and unpleasant by comparison.

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Sorry I missed it. I will check it out.  I need to play catch up on the activity I’ve missed. 

35 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

YES! The Tesla has the best sound of any performance wheel. Looks like the Gotway engineers figured out how to get rid of that whine. Now it's just a pleasant humming sound. The KS18S is very loud and unpleasant by comparison.

Maybe Kingsong will keep playing catchup and change their sound.  I keep noticing the temple on the adjacent mountain.  It looks huge.  Is it a tourist spot, and have you ridden that trail?  Probably too many people on the trail.

Image result for Whittier hills buddhist temple

13 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Maybe Kingsong will keep playing catchup and change their sound.  I keep noticing the temple on the adjacent mountain.  It looks huge.  Is it a tourist spot, and have you ridden that trail?  Probably too many people on the trail.

Image result for Whittier hills buddhist temple

That's a Buddhist Temple located in a Rose Hills cemetery. I don't ride there for obvious reasons.

8 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Sorry, i didn't know.  But it is so beautiful.

No need to be sorry :) It is a beautiful backdrop for my rides when I go there.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

No need to be sorry :) It is a beautiful backdrop for my rides when I go there.

It took me awhile but after close inspection I can see your small backdrop.;)

39121858201_68a1343d06_b.jpg

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like the Gotway engineers figured out how to get rid of that whine.

Let me guess how they did it: buying the motor from a different supplier.

4 hours ago, Mono said:

Let me guess how they did it: buying the motor from a different supplier.

Well, even if that's the case, it's an engineering decision that's appreciated by this rider:thumbup:

On 17.12.2017 at 6:27 PM, Marty Backe said:

See my conclusions at the end of Part II.  I can't deny that there's a certain peace of mind that comes with riding the KingSong family of wheels. You just don't fear your cables melting or MOSFETs exploding :thumbup:

Haha...i love to quote you on that: "Peace of mind" brings it to the point! Thats what i mean with "trust" having in KS over the GW machines!

Btw.: Really fantastic videos! Happy to see that you like the 18S! Like you said: after adjusting....its a hell of a wheel :-)

19 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Haha...i love to quote you on that: "Peace of mind" brings it to the point! Thats what i mean with "trust" having in KS over the GW machines!

Btw.: Really fantastic videos! Happy to see that you like the 18S! Like you said: after adjusting....its a hell of a wheel :-)

One must tell the truth :)

I thought you would appreciate the videos. It really is a great wheel and I can see why you love yours. Yet there's no doubt that the 18S is an acquired taste and takes time to fully warm up to. Hopefully the 18L will help, but then it has the reduced range.

I must say that I have a love-hate relationship with the 18S shell. I love how it cradles your legs and makes carving even funner, and can facilitate twisty turns. I hate it sometimes because it can make sharp turns difficult.

But in broad strokes, the 18S is an A+ wheel.

I'm really appreciating this review. Thanks Marty for doing it (although I don't think anyone had to twist your arm) and for being open-minded about all brands. I know you love your Gotway machines and sometimes I think you give Gotway too much leeway for their sometimes shoddy work but you are willing to give ALL wheels a fair crack. A true enthusiast. :thumbup:

The 18S is probably my next wheel (albiet a long way off and probably after a forced break in EUCing) so hearing your high praise from someone with experience of so many wheels and who generally favors another brand is great.

And a huge thanks to @Sketch for swapping with Marty for a short while. I know you are both getting to experience different wheels but it seems you 18S is going to have a lot of miles on it when you get it back! Considering you were thinking of selling it I'm wondering if the 18S might end up in Marty's collection. B)

40 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

I'm really appreciating this review. Thanks Marty for doing it (although I don't think anyone had to twist your arm) and for being open-minded about all brands. I know you love your Gotway machines and sometimes I think you give Gotway too much leeway for their sometimes shoddy work but you are willing to give ALL wheels a fair crack. A true enthusiast. :thumbup:

The 18S is probably my next wheel (albiet a long way off and probably after a forced break in EUCing) so hearing your high praise from someone with experience of so many wheels and who generally favors another brand is great.

And a huge thanks to @Sketch for swapping with Marty for a short while. I know you are both getting to experience different wheels but it seems you 18S is going to have a lot of miles on it when you get it back! Considering you were thinking of selling it I'm wondering if the 18S might end up in Marty's collection. B)

Thanks, and I'm glad you're getting something useful from this thread. I do love my Gotway wheels but I do try and be objective, and like you say, I'm an enthusiast for all wheels. They all have their quirks, downsides, upsides, etc. But at the end of the day, they are fun.

If you do buy the KS18S you'll love it. Be prepared for a learning curve, but I think you already know that. Once you become Zen with the 18S it'll be fantastic.

may pickup an 18S in the future, but only if I happen across a fantastic deal (someone who barely rode it and just wants to get rid of it). Not because I don't love it, but I really do only have so much space, and I have a wife ;)

I'm hoping that I convinced @Sketch to keep his 18S - he just hasn't given it enough love yet to truly appreciate its finer qualities :D

10 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Oh the Humanity! :crying: What's causing this? If it's not too personal a question.

I think he's preparing to move to the West coast, so his life is probably going to be topsy-turvy for awhile. But frankly that shouldn't stop him from riding. Hell, I'd ride in my bathroom (with the Mten3) if I had to :D 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks, and I'm glad you're getting something useful from this thread. I do love my Gotway wheels but I do try and be objective, and like you say, I'm an enthusiast for all wheels. They all have their quirks, downsides, upsides, etc. But at the end of the day, they are fun.

If you do buy the KS18S you'll love it. Be prepared for a learning curve, but I think you already know that. Once you become Zen with the 18S it'll be fantastic.

may pickup an 18S in the future, but only if I happen across a fantastic deal (someone who barely rode it and just wants to get rid of it). Not because I don't love it, but I really do only have so much space, and I have a wife ;)

I'm hoping that I convinced @Sketch to keep his 18S - he just hasn't given it enough love yet to truly appreciate its finer qualities :D

I think I will keep the 18s for awhile to give it a chance.  I may need to pick up a Msuper 3s+ to keep it company.  I love this wheel.  I don’t want to give it back.  ?

30 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Oh the Humanity! :crying: What's causing this? If it's not too personal a question.

Just finances (rent check beats EUC ownership when it is one or the other).

But Marty is also right, a move to the Pacific Northwest is on the cards following the collapse of my plan to move back to the UK...not sure when...but that won't stop me riding for long if I still have a wheel.

8 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

I have just acquired an 18s, Christmas present to myself. Going from my V8 to this has/is a very strange experience. I haven't had the chance to put it through its paces as yet because I'm getting used to riding the different body shape. It's a very different riding style and it takes a while to adapt from the very agile V8. I initially thought "how the hell do you turn this thing", but after a bit of practice it's just a case of getting used to it. 

Range Test

IMG_20171223_150751672_HDR

Today I concluded my final test of the KS18S; the range test. I have a typical river loop that I ride my wheels when I want to test their range.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the summary of my ride

Screenshot_20171224-002144

Screenshot_20171224-002224

I ended the ride with about ~1% battery. Oh, and as is typical with KingSong, the speed was throttled to 19-mph at ~25% battery

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed with the range. I can get about 55-miles with my MSuper V3s+

Given the size of the battery in this wheel I would have expected at least to achieve something in the high-40's. I got over 40-miles on my KS14S, which has half the battery. True, I rode the 14S at a slower speed, but this range just seems a bit low.

If any other KS18S riders read this post and have tested their range I would be interested in seeing the distance that you achieved.

Archived