tips for the subway/train

xafofo

Recently started commuting with my EUC (KS 14D) on the train (BART for you bay area folks). Wondering if anyone had any tips?

I usually have the EUC off but holding it with the handle up. It still rolls around sometimes. I've tried leaning it against the wall but that also still rolls around so I have to secure it with my legs. Maybe there's a better way that I haven't thought of?

9 minutes ago, xafofo said:

Recently started commuting with my EUC (KS 14D) on the train (BART for you bay area folks). Wondering if anyone had any tips?

I usually have the EUC off but holding it with the handle up. It still rolls around sometimes. I've tried leaning it against the wall but that also still rolls around so I have to secure it with my legs. Maybe there's a better way that I haven't thought of?

Turn it on.

i usually keep it off and have one side leaning against the front of my seat, with my legs at the front and back ends of the wheel - although, if the tire is muddy/wet and i have pants i don't want dirtied up i guess i'd turn it on ;)

38 minutes ago, xafofo said:

lol yes turning it on would help a lot, I was just hoping to conserve a little battery with a solution that didn't require it to be on

Actually, they use very little juice when just on, but not moving.  How do I know?  A few times I have charged my battery to near full for an intended ride, then not gone for the ride.  Concerned for the high state of charge, and not having another ride on the horizon, I switch it on (lights too) and leave it to use up some juice.  Man! it takes forever to kill a few percent of battery.  But I understand the reluctance; sort of like wearing it out unnecessarily.  What about laying it down on something protective, yet easy to carry?

40 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Actually, they use very little juice when just on, but not moving.  How do I know?  A few times I have charged my battery to near full for an intended ride, then not gone for the ride.  Concerned for the high state of charge, and not having another ride on the horizon, I switch it on (lights too) and leave it to use up some juice.  Man! it takes forever to kill a few percent of battery.  But I understand the reluctance; sort of like wearing it out unnecessarily.  What about laying it down on something protective, yet easy to carry?

Sometimes I have wished the ninebot would stay on, for that very reason, not wanting to leave it fully charged for a long time.  But it turns itself off after about 5 minutes of inactivity.  Often I'll trolley it in to the apartment, lean it against the wall and go put away groceries, turn on the radio, get lunch started or whatnot, and be surprised when it double beeps and turns itself off.  

47 minutes ago, Smoother said:

There usually isn't room to lay it down, and I usually prefer to stand instead of sit. But you're right, it doesn't use that much power when not moving, I should probably just leave it on.

@xafofo apropos to nothing, I once met the designer of BART, in Houston.  He was an old college friend of my Father-in-law, from Berkley.  I think they went to college on the GI Bill for returning WW2 vets. Nice man, old-school manners. Probably dead now, he was old then, and that was the Eighties. RIP

Archived