Android OnePlus Phones & Wheel Apps

WARPed1701D

I hope this little tid-bit of information will save a few hours of grief for anyone who owns or plans to own a OnePlus Android phone and wants to use Wheellog, the official InMotion app, or probably any other high power drain app on it.

OnePlus added a background monitoring process to their OxygenOS (enhanced Android build) they install on their phones. This process monitors for apps that are consuming a large amount of power in the background (background defined as the app is started but is not the current in use app or your phone's screen is off) and unceremoniously kills them without warning, clean shutdown, or notification. This is a cool concept but sometimes (like with Wheellog) you want these apps to run.

Since I just upgraded from my 5 year old Xperia Z Ultra to a OnePlus 5T I had been unable to maintain Wheellog or the InMotion app for more than a few minutes after the screen went off or the app was pushed to the background and this background process was the cause. I'd start riding. The wheel would beep at loss of BT connection. My pebble would lose its data feed. I'd stop and look at my phone and the app would be nowhere to be seen. No error message. Starting the app again was like a fresh load with no metrics from the ride persisting.

After hours of research and dicking about with settings that I though might be conflicting with the app I found the solution to prevent this from happening.  You need to display the recent app screen (usually the right hand button on the bottom nav bar), find Wheellog (or the app in question) and tap the open padlock icon in the top right corner of the app card. (padlock closes). Officially this lock is meant to prevent the app card form being cleared when you use the "clear all" button in the recent app screen but it also has an undocumented feature of whitelisting the app from the background app monitoring process. Having locked the app today for the first time I completed a ride without losing connection to the wheel. Note that you can still close the app by double tapping the back button as usual.

I hope this helps anyone who picks up this awesomely spec'ed reasonably priced flagship phone and wants to use it with their wheel.

OR...  Buy a BlackBerry KEYone - It is Canadian as @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, but with better hardware and less (deviant) attitude!

Having tried both - I don't think I could live without either one of them... Oh and the KEYone also runs apps and shit too.

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

OR...  Buy a BlackBerry KEYone - It is Canadian as @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, but with better hardware and less (deviant) attitude!

Having tried both - I don't think I could live without either one of them... Oh and the KEYone also runs apps and shit too.

Nice phone but I never got into the whole thumb typing thing. I'd  rather a swipe keyboard that buggers off when I'm not using it. A phone with a screen smaller than 6" drives me mad. My Z Ultra was 6.4". The 5T is 6".

Archived