The Man of Mead

New to Forum...never riden before...awaiting delivery

1 hour ago, The Man of Mead said:

Again, thanks for the welcome and for all the advice offered so far. Main points picked up on so far:

1. Protect the wheel while learning with some form of padding/covers.

2. Wear protection.

3. Use balancing aids walls/other EUC owners/bikes/wheelie bins!

4. Consider strap to save damage while learning.

Finally, how crazy is this, I noticed Speedy Feet have an offer on Gotway ACM at the moment, and here I am thinking of buying a second wheel before the first one has even arrived. Am I hooked or what!

welcome to the euc world i saw a video a month ago with some eucs resarched it and i wanted one so badly

now im working my ass off to buy one

and im already in love with the idea of a euc before i even have one... Strange.... its like a force pulling you:shock2:

Edited by Shad0z

2 hours ago, The Man of Mead said:

Again, thanks for the welcome and for all the advice offered so far. Main points picked up on so far:

1. Protect the wheel while learning with some form of padding/covers.

2. Wear protection.

3. Use balancing aids walls/other EUC owners/bikes/wheelie bins!

Finally, how crazy is this, I noticed Speedy Feet have an offer on Gotway ACM at the moment, and here I am thinking of buying a second wheel before the first one has even arrived. Am I hooked or what!

The ACM is a fantastic wheel (and I bought my last ACM from Ian).

Yes, you are hooked. Just imagine what's going to happen when you can actually ride? You do know that I always recommend that people have at least two backup wheels :D

7 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The ACM is a fantastic wheel (and I bought my last ACM from Ian).

Yes, you are hooked. Just imagine what's going to happen when you can actually ride? You do know that I always recommend that people have at least two backup wheels :D

I dont know if you have recognized that:

Ian is the first who has announced the ACM "V2" with 1300/1600wh....and stating that it will have the Tesla motor 1900/2000Watt and Tesla firmware! So there IS a way around the "small" Tesla battery ;-)

welcome! you gon have fun! B)

i have to agree with @LanghamP that having somebody walking in front of you and proffering their arm for you to hold on to is probably the best way - i did that with my friend and after like, 5 minutes he had made more progress than i had after several days stumbling around and gashing my ankles by myself... i was kind of jealous, actually, haha...

and yes, the acm's a mad beast!

1 minute ago, kour said:

welcome! you gon have fun! B)

i have to agree with @LanghamP that having somebody walking in front of you and proffering their arm for you to hold on to is probably the best way - i did that with my friend and after like, 5 minutes he had made more progress than i had after several days stumbling around and gashing my ankles by myself... i was kind of jealous, actually, haha...

and yes, the acm's a mad beast!

i think if i use someting with weel to hold on to not to lean on but hold would be good too or is it better with a person?

30 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i think if i use someting with weel to hold on to not to lean on but hold would be good too or is it better with a person?

actually, i never tried the shopping cart/wheeled object method; but it seems having a person guiding you would have an advantage when it comes to the point where you'd like to keep riding without any support, since they can just step out of the way. it seems with a cart you'd have to shove it off somewhere - hopefully not to collide with something/someone in the parking lot!

15 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

Kudos to you sir for exceptional taste and appreciation of an engineering wonder. Note the raw lacquer frame and the custom handlebar setup. B) It was originally a H bar configuration.

The Brompton is awesome and I have a battle of wills when deciding if to ride the EUC or the Brompton now the weather is cooler. Few here would appreciate its awesomeness so I have to play it down next to the mighty V8! ;)

I'm 6'1". How tall are you? @eddiemoy has a Brompton too I recall.

Bromptons are awesome!  I still have mine.  I don't really use it anymore since I'm not in the city.  I used to ride the train and use it to commute from the train station to work.  It folds and unfolds in seconds.  I stopped using it when the building policy changed where I couldn't bring it in the regular elevator, had to use freight elevator!  If I was in the city, I would choose the EUC route just because I didn't want to be all hot and sweaty by the time I got to work.  LOL

On 12/8/2017 at 12:19 PM, The Man of Mead said:

Hello to all on the forum. I'm new around here. Very new in fact as I have never once even ridden or tried to ride one yet.

I have an Inmotion V8 on order with Speedy Feet, which I think is expected to be delivered shortly before Christmas. Can't wait to receive it, but in some trepidation about how difficult it will be to learn. The wife thinks I'm crazy (I'm 53) and that I will injure myself. I have taken the step to buy helmet, wrist protection, elbow and knee pads!

Have watched a lot of you tube videos, both in the process of deciding what to buy and for advanced learning and tips on how to learn to ride it when it arrives. I will give updates when the wheel arrives and how I progress. In the meanwhile if anyone has any tips or advice ...please let me know. Thank you,

Welcome to the forum...  There are lots of old people here, but all young at heart.  Most important advice here is "don't give up."  I did a couple of times when I first got mine.  I felt it was impossible to learn.  Persistence is the key and knowing it isn't impossible!  You will love it!  

welcome, I'm 53 and counting.

Get geared up to protect yourself and use a learning strap, and bliss is just 15min practice (each day for several day) and a few bad falls away.

Good luck,

Glad to have you aboard!

I started with a small 300w training wheel and rode that for two months with training wheels.

Then I bought an ACM and really started to learn.

The main thing to learn first is stepping on and off of the EUC.

Once you get that down it will be way less scary and way more fun!

47 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Bromptons are awesome!  I still have mine.  I don't really use it anymore since I'm not in the city.  I used to ride the train and use it to commute from the train station to work.  It folds and unfolds in seconds.  I stopped using it when the building policy changed where I couldn't bring it in the regular elevator, had to use freight elevator!  If I was in the city, I would choose the EUC route just because I didn't want to be all hot and sweaty by the time I got to work.  LOL

My Brompton knockoff.

Camp 20" Folding Bike Shimano 16 Speed, Thunderbolt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013D87RRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_a7TlAb6TDR68T

I bought it a few years back before I had heard of EUCs. Even a folding bike is troublesome to get into and out of a car, and cannot be taken into buildings, but then again I don't like trolleying my EUCs all the time.

If EUCs were designed with a single durable hole, with which one could buy a $200 titanium lock, then that'd be almost the perfect urban vehicle. Make the hole up high so no one stands on it with bolt cutters.

Most of us are from the grim "keep getting on school of learning" but the proffered arm makes learning an EUC a non-issue.

18 hours ago, Steven D Wheeler said:

Glad to have you aboard!

I started with a small 300w training wheel and rode that for two months with training wheels.

Then I bought an ACM and really started to learn.

The main thing to learn first is stepping on and off of the EUC.

Once you get that down it will be way less scary and way more fun!

Thanks Steven. From everything I have read so far it seems the key to stepping on is the "lock" the EUC on your dominant leg and then slight push off and hop on with other leg...I think I got the theory...but like a lot of things putting it into practice may be a whole different thing!

12 hours ago, Smoother said:

When you're still not sure you can learn it, just know this; sometime in the not too distant future, you will be rolling around, this way and that, with almost no effort at all.  The wheel practically disappears, and becomes part of you. You glide from one place to another merely by thought it would seem, yet no thought at all really.  This is the first major upgrade in walking in 50,000 years. It really IS legs 2.0.

Legs 2.0 hahaha good one!

On 12/11/2017 at 3:02 PM, The Man of Mead said:

+1, it also prevents the wheel from hitting you. Note that you need to deactivate the kill switch under the handle bar via the app while using a learning belt.

BTW, I didn't any of those on the list but had to protect my inner lower leg with hard shin pads to be able to learn at all. Otherwise the pain quickly prevented me from mounting.

Edited by Mono

Be advised if you bail from a wheel, that is, you jump off the wheel instead of the wheel dumping you off, then the wheel will usually continue onward until it hits something, or circle back to you if you're lucky.

So while I do not use a strap 99% of the time, I do use it if I'm off-roading and there's a big body of water nearby. I've had a few runaway wheels. One gets spooked then bails, probably prematurely.

I'd almost advise going down with your wheel in flames if you feel like you're losing control and there's a body of water nearby. You might save the wheel by staying on, and if the wheel goes in the drink for sure it won't survive.

23 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I dont know if you have recognized that:

Ian is the first who has announced the ACM "V2" with 1300/1600wh....and stating that it will have the Tesla motor 1900/2000Watt and Tesla firmware! So there IS a way around the "small" Tesla battery ;-)

I'll be very interested in hearing how this new ACM handles. With a wider body and lower pedals it still may not have the ride of the Tesla. But this may be an opportunity to sell my ACM and upgrade. Too bad @Jason McNeil has decided to not sell the ACM any more - it's such a great wheel.

Thanks Steven. From everything I have read so far it seems the key to stepping on is the "lock" the EUC on your dominant leg and then slight push off and hop on with other leg...I think I got the theory...but like a lot of things putting it into practice may be a whole different thing!

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'll be very interested in hearing how this new ACM handles. With a wider body and lower pedals it still may not have the ride of the Tesla. But this may be an opportunity to sell my ACM and upgrade. Too bad @Jason McNeil has decided to not sell the ACM any more - it's such a great wheel.

Honestly i dont think it will be such a difference to the Tesla then. Sure, the Shell is higher at the Tesla, and the ACM Shell is a bit wider. But what makes the real difference is the new Motor, the new Firmware with it's stiff Setting and agility. To have that with a bigger battery with more parallel packs? A real winner in my opinion. I never understood why GW has done this -even more powerfull Motor with such "less" cells/packs. Just makes no sense....

The "lock" is extremely useful, but not necessary to ride, as long as you manage to mount in one way or another.

3 hours ago, The Man of Mead said:

I started out unable to step on and off at all. I used to hold on to my porch railing and get both feet on the EUC, then shove off and go.

I would go around my neighborhood and come back to the railing to dismount.

This inability to mount and dismount got me into much trouble.

Often I would find myself in an awkward situation and would lose balance, try to step off, EUC would spin and smack right into my ankle.

I have had more wounds from this than anything else. Eventually I bought shin guards to help protect my ankles and legs from wounds.

Nowadays I do not have any trouble stepping on and off the EUC but I've been riding now for 8 months.

I favor "Locking" my Left leg when I start, but I can do it with either leg if I need to.

Stepping off I favor my right leg, but again can use either which sometimes you don't have a choice and have to be able to use either.

Just now, Circuitmage said:

Don't start by using it in the house! (how would I know that!)

+1 ... i got a nice hole in the plaster that needs patching in a kitchen wall from this brilliant idea. 

the other problem you will have is picking it up. if you pick it up and try to put it back down it will burn a nice streak in the carpet/linoleum/hardwood.

inside riding... bad plan.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:50 PM, LanghamP said:

My Brompton knockoff.

Camp 20" Folding Bike Shimano 16 Speed, Thunderbolt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013D87RRY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_a7TlAb6TDR68T

I bought it a few years back before I had heard of EUCs. Even a folding bike is troublesome to get into and out of a car, and cannot be taken into buildings, but then again I don't like trolleying my EUCs all the time.

If EUCs were designed with a single durable hole, with which one could buy a $200 titanium lock, then that'd be almost the perfect urban vehicle. Make the hole up high so no one stands on it with bolt cutters.

Most of us are from the grim "keep getting on school of learning" but the proffered arm makes learning an EUC a non-issue.

Looking at that I found this, a 7speed version for $299.  Is this a knockoff of a knockoff?  The frame top rail is different, but it has the disc brakes and the welds look good.  The color options are different too.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0185SXQE0?m=A2168XBGSULLLS&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page&th=1

Never mind, after looking at the Camp website again, the Supersonic has a different frame than the Thunderbolt.  The Thunderbolt looks higher quality, plus it is a 16 speed.

Edited by steve454

21 hours ago, The Man of Mead said:

Legs 2.0 hahaha good one!

A fellow cheshirite, no no cheshireonion, no no cheshireton meh one of those will do, I started a couple of weeks ago first time ever on a euc, i'm 33 and I love it, its a bit painful in places you didn't know would hurt but its so much fun, push through the pain. 

I started off by going along side a railing then turning round and going back so on and so on and picked it up fairly quickly, starting is stil a 1 in 3 for getting it right, but I think i'm rushing it a bit. Anyways, have fun and enjoy it!