Tesla Pedal Modes

@Boogieman

i discovered something. Wobble of corse goes away with time. but i think i ahve a way of eliminating it. Try placing your feet further out on the pedals and dont push inwards on the euc, relax and have a wide stance. Tell me if it worked ;) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

@Boogieman

i discovered something. Wobble of corse goes away with time. but i think i ahve a way of eliminating it. Try placing your feet further out on the pedals and dont push inwards on the euc, relax and have a wide stance. Tell me if it worked ;) 

Thankx - will try that (my feet are super wide so allready on the edge, but i guess one toe can goe outside the plate).
Might help with my ankle bump bruising from constant grinding against the tesla body as well (have to wear high shaft tennis shoes).
Have tried anglign feet inward, outward, straight...but not yet standing only partial on the foot plates - would be required to stand wider (its like i have an extra toe in width on my 45-46 EU sized duck feet)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good advice. Also remember that you are on a gyroscope, so if you just relax and casually stand without fighting it and let the gyro settle on its own, usually takes about 2-3 seconds and or move the vehicle a little forward and back, and that will help ameliorate the wobble as well.

Congrats and consider the wobbles another EUC right of passage ?‍?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Thankx - will try that (my feet are super wide so allready on the edge, but i guess one toe can goe outside the plate).
Might help with my ankle bump bruising from constant grinding against the tesla body as well (have to wear high shaft tennis shoes).
Have tried anglign feet inward, outward, straight...but not yet standing only partial on the foot plates - would be required to stand wider (its like i have an extra toe in width on my 45-46 EU sized duck feet)

i have giant feet too about 47eu

but place them more foward, and so they are at the edge of the pedals

20 hours ago, Boogieman said:

<snip>

@Marty Backe what pressure do You use in Your tesla. You go both fast and sweeping turns and seem to weigh in around my weight (200lbs) mabye slightly less, but still. Max pressure stamped on wheel is 35-45Psi which seems really low. Its a Heng Shin tyre (from factory) and pushing it with my hand sidways certainly moves it - so certainly not any siff side walls....dont understand why you would want this on a single wheel vehicle as You want a robust ride (sure soft is good for bumps...but that feels kind of secondary...since it swallows pot holes like youghurt...i was a bit "careful at start" but now i dont even think about obstacles...not like i do on my 4" wheel mini plus where a kerb is a guaranteed cut out unless you jump :D)

Boogie

My riding weight is ~170-pounds. I generally ride all of my wheels at their maximum rated pressure which is 45-psi on my Tesla.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:09 PM, Marty Backe said:

My riding weight is ~170-pounds. I generally ride all of my wheels at their maximum rated pressure which is 45-psi on my Tesla.

Thanks. Note to self,  double check pressure tomorrow. But it sounds like the wobbling is kind of mandatory of i read between the lines and some of the answers. 

Then i will definitely experiment with a stiff side wall motor bike tyre, if it's even available. Should at least minimize the wobble and decrease the risk of starting it. 

Since the wobble is side ways,  not driving direction wise,  the gyro should not affect it since it only stabilize in drive direction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

Thanks. Note to self,  double check pressure tomorrow. But it sounds like the wobbling is kind of mandatory of i read between the lines and some of the answers. 

Then i will definitely experiment with a stiff side wall motor bike tyre, if it's even available. Should at least minimize the wobble and decrease the risk of starting it. 

Since the wobble is side ways,  not driving direction wise,  the gyro should not affect it since it only stabilize in drive direction. 

Hmmm. I'm not sure of what lines you are reading in between :) Wobbles are not mandatory, but I believe most riders will get them periodically. It's really not a big deal. When you are beginning everyone will experience a few 'fear of death' wobbles :shock2: but then you learn how to avoid those types.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:09 PM, Marty Backe said:

Thanks. Have ridden it for a week now at 45psi. It's quite bumpy at that pressure and to me... still wobbles occasionally.  I simply can not "not grip" the tesla. In that case i have to remove the cushions since my calves touch them, even if i try to stand wide (big part of my duck sized wide foot outside pedal width wise). I don't have over sized calves, but i start to think i might have a slight inward leaning lower leg.... or...i dunno...i start to get used to the wobble so i don't care to much about it except when it happens at higher speeds and it does not really stop.... unless i brake and slow down.

Riding more crouched increase wobble. Riding with straight legs decrease it.  Gripping the tesla as wobble start makes it worse,  so i just let it wobble out and do its thing lol.

But yes is likely relaxation related... as also riding after a glass (or two) of wine decrease wobble lol

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Thanks. Have ridden it for a week now at 45psi. It's quite bumpy at that pressure and to me... still wobbles occasionally.  I simply can not "not grip" the tesla. On that case i have to remove the cushions since my calves touch them even if i try to stand wide (part of foot outside pedal width wise). I don't have over sized calves, but i start to think i might have a slight inward leaning lower leg.... or...i dunno...i start to get used to the wobble so i don't care to much about it except when it happens at higher speeds and it does not really stop unless i brake and slow down. Riding more crouched increase wobble. Riding with straight legs decrease it.  Gripping the tesla as wobble start makes it worse,  so i just let it wobble out and do its thing lol

You should experiment with tire pressures. There's some thought that lower tire pressures can help to reduce wobbles.

Although I certainly touch the sides of my wheels, but I'm never gripping the wheel. I can't remember my progression, but I know that my legs used to be pressed more against the shell as I rode. At some point I must have started relaxing more because now the shell more or less bounces side to side between my legs. I have a very loose hold on the wheel.

This realization really came home as I rode my new MCM5, which has no side pads and the shell tapers up and away from my legs. Turns out that the wheel is very comfortable to ride having no pads.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2018 at 4:44 AM, Marty Backe said:

You should experiment with tire pressures. There's some thought that lower tire pressures can help to reduce wobbles.

Although I certainly touch the sides of my wheels, but I'm never gripping the wheel. I can't remember my progression, but I know that my legs used to be pressed more against the shell as I rode. At some point I must have started relaxing more because now the shell more or less bounces side to side between my legs. I have a very loose hold on the wheel.

This realization really came home as I rode my new MCM5, which has no side pads and the shell tapers up and away from my legs. Turns out that the wheel is very comfortable to ride having no pads.

Thanks for all the info from everyone. Really helpful thread ?

Small update for the sake of future people having the same question (I guess most people experience wobble). This is my 2nd week with the Tesla 1020Wh (latest revision with 5 ring light modes)

I am pretty sure that I don't grip the pards tight at least, since I get almost some kind of grinding burn marks on the inside of my calves. But still I think I will try to remove the pads and see if friction decrease=less "burn" at longer rides. Maybe even put teflon tape where the pads "were" or some soft fabric.

Forward tilt:

- going over bumpy surfaces (bumpy grass, old style paved roads with those small stone blocks) - VERY evident. As it gets flat it goes back to upright. Even a few smaller bumps in a row I get a slight forward tilt.

- going at speed. I'm not really sure any more but I think it's when I accelerate out of a turn, and it's much less evident than bumps above. Could also be my mind being tricked from sideway lean going into a straight pose while accelerating. It does some small correction at times but I can't really say when (tiltback disabled so not that)

- calibration. My wheel was leaning about 3degrees (or was it 2..anyway) forward when measuring with a digital bubble level. Did the calibration and now it's 0.1 degrees (and the mechanical play when rocking back and forward is probably more=more than good enough). Also eyed the telescope handle Vs a straight edge for reference (not as absolute measure as it could be non straight Vs pedals) before and after and yes there was some forward tilt difference.

- wobble? Yes still there, but less frequent. Now mostly when braking hard or right after a bump if I don't bend my knees.

- stance Vs wobble. This is probably since I'm still new, but standing totally straight helped the most at speed (not locking knee, but close). I bend my knees going over bumps of course to spring and take some strain of the wheel, but just cruising straight works fine with straight legs for me.

I guess I just need to ride ride ride and ride... And I don't mind ?

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Thanks for all the info from everyone. Really helpful thread ?

Small update for the sake of future people having the same question (I guess most people experience wobble).

I am pretty sure that I don't grip the pards tight at least, since I get almost some kind of grinding burn marks on the inside of my calves. But still I think I will try to remove the pads and see if friction decrease=less "burn" at longer rides. Maybe even put teflon tape where the pads "were" or some soft fabric.

Forward tilt:

- going over bumpy surfaces (bumpy grass, old style paved roads with those small stone blocks) - VERY evident. As it gets flat it goes back to upright. Even a few smaller bumps in a row I get a slight forward tilt.

<snip>

This is a classic symptom of the gyro/control board getting a bit confused when going over small repetitive bumps. I have not experienced it on non-Gotway wheels, but 95% of my riding is Gotway. Maybe a KingSong owner can chime in.

I demonstrate this affect in this video. Watch the pedal angle slowly drop more and more as I continue riding. It instantly recovers when I get to smooth ground again. Cool huh?

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is a classic symptom of the gyro/control board getting a bit confused when going over small repetitive bumps. I have not experienced it on non-Gotway wheels, but 95% of my riding is Gotway. Maybe a KingSong owner can chime in.

I demonstrate this affect in this video. Watch the pedal angle slow drop more and more as I continue riding. It instantly recovers when I get to smooth ground again. Cool huh?

Exactly that ? is what I feel :) .....from my first ride on bumpy grass up till today on any uneven road :)

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I demonstrate this affect in this video. Watch the pedal angle slowly drop more and more as I continue riding. It instantly recovers when I get to smooth ground again. Cool huh?

i experience this on my tesla to a very small degree. But backwards. And its barely noticeable unless i go over repetitive bumps. But its barely noticeable and id anything the backwards tilt only helps with bumps

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

i experience this on my tesla to a very small degree. But backwards. And its barely noticeable unless i go over repetitive bumps. But its barely noticeable and id anything the backwards tilt only helps with bumps

Interesting.

I bet the effect is smaller as the tire size gets bigger. In my video, this is a 10-inch wheel so the effects are probably amplified.

Backwards huh? Hmmm. Note sure which I'd prefer.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This thread is pretty old, but I landed here when googling tyre pressure.

Im now on my 4th tyre on my Tesla and DAMN i t felt odd.

1st tyre was the CST factory mounted. Rode that one till the thread (or lack thereof) was shiny. Think it said max 50psi (binned it). Probably my favourite tyre, probably since i learnt riding on it and rode it so long.

2nd was a Kenda K924-003 street tyre, PSI range on tyre 40-65. Very quick steered at 50-55psi that I preferred, extremely FUN tyre but a bit more nervous than CST due to the steering.

3rd tyre Kenda K-50-001 knobby (more like a BMX tyre). Max 40PSI cold stamped. Rode at 45-ish and this was one comfy tyre to ride on and off-road. Only downside is that you ride the edge of the pattern on asphalt in turns so it was a bit wiggly on road when pushing it. Also the softest tyre sideways. You could feel it shift in turns. I had 3 punctured hoses on this one, so that was it. Time to change back to thick rubber street.

4th tyre Chao Yang H-5102 street tyre. Max 36PSI stamped 😣(and max 70Kg 🙄 as well). Habe only ridden it maybe 10km at 50psi, but the first rides i thought i had a puncture as it wouldn't follow my lead. Checked it and rode on and after a few kms it felt better, but GOD DAMN this tyre steers quick and it wants to stay upright in a totally different way than previous tyres. Very odd feeling, a bit like the z10 but not as extreme, but when you just touch the pedal it turns insanely fast and sharp...but then imediatelly want to go upright again. I guess.i will have to give it some more milage before intry different pressures but wanted to hear if someone tested this one out and felt the same. I'm thinking of dropping pressure to 40-45psi (quite low as im 213 lbs) to see if it changes behaviour. Not sure if i wanna try higher like 55-60 based on the printed max pressure (but i guess thats only for tubeless?).

Very strange tyre, but i think if I give it some 50-100km i will probably love it. Could also be that i come from the mushy knobby tyre that was pretty slow steered but super-comfy :)

Edited by Boogieman