An open letter

Uniwheel

3 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

do you know someone who has one? Do we have independent, confirmation this is indeed 'shipping?' 

This guy sure does (not sure if he has a user on here, but he's active on the FB EUC forums I believe):

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Fred-Bonus-Micro-Mobility-1949104815334480/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2071093469802280

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

This guy sure does (not sure if he has a user on here, but he's active on the FB EUC forums I believe):

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Fred-Bonus-Micro-Mobility-1949104815334480/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2071093469802280

This is the guy in a video I saw where one was unboxed and ridden around. 

17 hours ago, Mono said:

How do you know that there will be no Android App for the wheel?

Well, for now there is none... there is no update on it... and when asked, Uniwheel answer is yes, one day... I guess if a company is serious, they have a roadmap, they communicate with future customers... 

10 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

do you know someone who has one? Do we have independent, confirmation this is indeed 'shipping?' 

Obviously it 'exists' but I'm specifically referring to the notion of an 'active' retail shipping product that people are receiving and experiencing. 

I've tested it yesterday in a shop here in Paris, and it was immediately available for buy.

20 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

You are probably right. I'm not an oracle on the subject. I just picked up a few things on a quick search.

I saw that energy density is lower but thought that discharge power was very high and the cycle life was much longer (4x longer). If you could charge a LFP battery to full capacity 2000 times vs other chemistrys to just 80% to obtain the same 2000 cycles lifespan you are probably on even ground by being able to utilize that extra 20% all the time. Their resistance to overheating and runaway fires and exhibiting a flat discharge curve also appeared appealing. They are also more environmentally friendly assuming our batteries are Lithium Cobolt based...which I don't know but it is apparently a commonly used anode.

He is probably not right and you are. Uniwheels batteries should have a much higher (about ten times higher) discharge rate than standard EUC batteries. The only relevant disadvantage is higher weight and volume per Wh. That is what my (independent) "research" revealed as well

47 minutes ago, Mono said:

He is probably not right and you are. Uniwheels batteries should have a much higher (about ten times higher) discharge rate than standard EUC batteries. The only relevant disadvantage is higher weight and volume per Wh. That is what my (independent) "research" revealed as well

Don't know how I missed that thread. Nice collection  of chemistry related articles from BU.:thumbup:

One of the web pages I found suggested the LG MH1 cells found in and Inmotion wheels were Lithium Aluminium but I could see nothing anywhere else to back that up so concluded that they too are actually cobalt based. 

This higher discharge rate really seems to alleviate the initial concern I had about the Uniwheel not having a parallel cell configuration. For those who don't mind a smaller capacity (to offset larger weight and size) and have no time for battery monitoring and charge doctors this tech really makes a lot of sense. I can see why Uniwheel went with it. 

10 hours ago, TomOnWheels said:

I've tested it yesterday in a shop here in Paris, and it was immediately available for buy.

To which shop did you go?

Where has Uniwheel gone, he does not seem to have much more to say.

I think maybe someone should update the web site they have, to include some of this above explaining why it is so expensive and why they think the batteries are better and worth the extra costs.

For a british company, I would expect a premium App and fully developed, especially as the item is so expensive compared the the rest of this market.

At least we are all still talking about it, so there is some interest, I think many of us would be prepared to pay top price for a real quality product but most who just love the things, must have a product that can go more than 20 miles before it runs out. You would have to carry a few spares on your back if you buy this one.

1 hour ago, LGJ said:

why they think the batteries are better and worth the extra cost

LiFePO4 are much more powerful and more robust than Lithium-Ion LiCoO2 batteries. Swappable batteries are definitely a plus. I don't think the batteries can be cited as the reason for "extra cost" though, as they are not necessarily more expensive, and the battery pack is small.

prices at eroue:

EUR 730 Ninebot One S2
EUR 790 InMotion V5F
EUR 850 Uniwheel

I am not sure I could say that in comparison the Uniwheel is particularly overpriced.

EUR 850 Uniwheel yes       but with a tiny 132 wh Battery that does just 11-15km but I get your point.

I guess being british, I am disappointed the web site does not market the wheel very well.

23 hours ago, houseofjob said:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Fred-Bonus-Micro-Mobility-1949104815334480/photos/?tab=album&album_id=207109346980228

I'm surprised that guy doesn't have a horn sticking out of his head because at this point a unicorn seemed more likely than a shipping Uniwheel. I'd love to see this wheel succeed somehow, the design looks very nice.

12 hours ago, Mono said:

LiFePO4 are much more powerful and more robust than Lithium-Ion LiCoO2 batteries. Swappable batteries are definitely a plus. I don't think the batteries can be cited as the reason for "extra cost" though, as they are not necessarily more expensive, and the battery pack is small.

prices at eroue:

EUR 730 Ninebot One S2
EUR 790 InMotion V5F
EUR 850 Uniwheel

I am not sure I could say that in comparison the Uniwheel is particularly overpriced.

Not a big fan of this shop but it is a good price.

Mten3 512Wh is being sold 1090€ despite the problems (also advertised with a 45km range which is a big lie...).

Uniwheel description :

16", 10,8kg (!), 22km/h and 11-15km range (real test needed !)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived