InMotion V8 Stolen on Capital Hill in Seattle 11/28/2017

Tim Koffler

I locked my wheel up outside a Goodwill on Capital Hill in Seattle, Washington two days ago at 8pm. The side of the building at the sidewalk has some utility piping I had locked it to.  Less than 30 minutes later when I exited the store I was shocked to discover my wheel was gone.  I even thought I might have locked it elsewhere, but I am certian where I put it. 

Wheel Description:    InMotion V8 - black  (1 year old with close to 3000 miles on it and running perfectly)

Rainbow dog sticker on one side (4" tall).

Handle sticks when raising and lowering about 4" out because it is slightly bent

Serial #:  10B0125E7407001D

Any help to recover my V8 would be so appreciated!!!  I miss it!

20170827_135318sm.jpg

The rise in violent carjacking coincided with better car and engine locks. Living in the most violent city in the USA, I've learned not to consult my phone unless I've scanned my immediate surroundings. 

Oddly enough, going through an outside ATM feels much safer on a wheel since no one can ambush you from the blind spots all cars have. 

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe we need to start a EUC lock thread in the Safety and Protection Forum?  Anyone have some recommendations?  There's some listed here, but likely there's no foolproof way to stop a pro-thief.

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/09/05/10-best-bike-locks/

I have the Abus Bordo Granite  X 6500 lock in that link. I've never used it with my wheel but got it for my Brompton (never ended up using it with that either as it too can go in places with me). It is a stellar design. Compact and supremely strong. It can still be broken but it takes a good while to do so. 

The most important thing is to ensure that the lock does not and can not reach the ground. If it does then cutters can be placed on the ground and stood on for incredible cutting power. It is usually game over then. 

51 minutes ago, stevedig said:

if i go inside, the wheel goes with me. it's one of the main attractions of the wheel over a bike / e-bike / scooter / etc...

why leave it outside?

It was a Goodwill store, they would have thought he was trying to walk out without paying.  He did the right thing.  Grocery store or coffee shop would be okay.  Some places, you need to leave it outside.

6 minutes ago, steve454 said:

It was a Goodwill store, they would have thought he was trying to walk out without paying.  He did the right thing.  Grocery store or coffee shop would be okay.  Some places, you need to leave it outside.

huh. it wouldn't even have occurred to me that the goodwill might assume it was a store item.

i can see it now tho: ... yes it is ... no it isn't ... yes it is...          your probably right. 

If taking a EUC into any store, maybe just head to the customer service desk and have them label it or put a sticker on it.  Walmart does that as well as some other places I think.  Or leave it at customer service for safe keeping?

@Tim Koffler - maybe keep checking your TrackR app.  I wonder if the wheel just isn't in a location that has accessible WiFi for it to call home.  Maybe Crowd Locate might locate it?  Can you do a walking sweep with the TrackR app of the neighbourhoods where the wheel was last seen?

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

Simply demonstrating getting on the wheel then asking the suspicious employee  to do the same would establish beyond any doubt that his wheel is his. 

Good idea to post it up on Craigslist.  Maybe a link to a photo would be good there as many people probably don't know what an InMotion V8 looks like.  Can you post links on Craigslist?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/laf/d/electric-unicycle-lost/6406516184.html

Maybe post some threads up at the Seattle electric (and non-electric) skateboard and e-bike forums, put up some lost posters up in 4 block radius around the area that you lost it.  How far could someone walk while carrying a 30 pound weight?  Maybe a little farther if on a skateboard?  8:00 pm would be pretty dark so there probably wouldn't be that many witnesses seeing someone lugging around a black EUC.  These wheels are pretty unique so someone must have seen it....

http://community.onewheel.com/category/2/general-discussion

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/

https://electricbike.com/forum/

15 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe we need to start a EUC lock thread in the Safety and Protection Forum?  Anyone have some recommendations?  There's some listed here, but likely there's no foolproof way to stop a pro-thief.

https://gearpatrol.com/2017/09/05/10-best-bike-locks/

What I can share from France is a store which offer a security device for the wheel

https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/3426-traqueur-gyroroue-e-roue-pour-éviter-le-vol/

To sum up the features :

• Connected in app to ur phone
  • Alarms if any vibration/movements is detected (make ur phone ding ding)
  • GSM support to communicate with you wheel (so sweet)
  • GPS tracker
  • Cut-off function - actionable with your phone to shut-off your wheel.
  • Tracker history, to see trajectory of your (stolen) wheel
  • Low energy consumtion
  • nearly invisible device

Overall, that's some strong protection for short stop, or if your wheel is near by. Yet a strong lock remain needed as without it, it would be too tempting for a thief to give it a shot.

Otherwise yes, If you let it alone the whole day, anything can happen... But no one shall let his precious alone like this !

For a cheaper tracking option consider something like this:

http://www.loc8tor.com/everyday/all-products/loc8tor-lite.html

I have one of these on my dog's collar. It is short range I admit so if someone throws your stolen wheel in their car and drives off then it will not work like a GPS tracker would but for closer range tracking it is ideal and there is no running costs as it is radio based (therefore also not reliant on a cell signal) . Small enough to be hidden in the wheel and the battery lasts at least 6 months (more like 12).

If you don't get an immediate signal from the tracker then you can drive around slowly until you get a response. 

There are bigger versions of this with longer range (Marco Polo) which my dog wears when we are up in the mountains but they are harder to hide and the battery (Li-Ion) needs a monthly recharge. 

It's too bad these wheels don't come with a built in GPS locator.  iPhones have their Find My Phone feature.  Maybe a future control board design could incorporate a similar circuit and GPS components.  Tapping power from the huge battery pack should be trivial.

Any luck @Tim Koffler on finding the wheel?  These EUCs are so unique someone must have seen it.

On 12/5/2017 at 3:54 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's too bad these wheels don't come with a built in GPS locator.  iPhones have their Find My Phone feature.  Maybe a future control board design could incorporate a similar circuit and GPS components.  Tapping power from the huge battery pack should be trivial.

Any luck @Tim Koffler on finding the wheel?  These EUCs are so unique someone must have seen it.

You can't have just GPS and power for location tracking to work. You also need a radio of some type to communicate its GPS data back to home, and when we are talking about long range tracking the only option is cellular 3G/4G networks which would require a subscription. What percentage of EUC riders would be fine paying a $15-$30/month subscription for 4G service for their wheel? And also from that would it be beneficial for the EUC OEMs to increase the cost of their wheels by adding a GPS and LTE module? 

There seem to be various tracking/locating devices on the market.  With some you can buy a sim card that works for 6 months for $34.

https://www.amazon.com/Prepaid-Tracking-Devices-Locators-Wireless/dp/B0719QQVVV

https://www.amazon.com/PopSky-4330271711-Waterproof-Magnetic-Portable/dp/B075JSC2TZ

Sometimes when designing new products, adding features can be a plus.  Offering an optional GPS tracker box with say a 3V connector to draw power from the battery might be attractive to some people especially considering the cost of these EUCs.  Paying $68 a year and a little for a GPS tracker might be worth it to some to help protect their $1600 investment.

On 12/8/2017 at 12:26 AM, Michael Vu said:

What percentage of EUC riders would be fine paying a $15-$30/month subscription for 4G service for their wheel?

I have several sim cards with $0 monthly fee laying around.

• 7 months later...
On 11/30/2017 at 6:34 PM, stevedig said:

if i go inside, the wheel goes with me. it's one of the main attractions of the wheel over a bike / e-bike / scooter / etc...

why leave it outside?

I know there are special circumstances that riders just can't take it in with them.

I've never ran into any, however.

Right now I'm at McDonalds and it's right beside me.

Walmart, McDonalds, BurgeKing, Wendys, malls, library, community center, outdoor celebrations, parks, lakes, boat ramp.

Lately, I've adopted the, "Do it first and ask for forgiveness later."

Instead of running around always asking about everything.

I find people Like seeing it and think it's cool as hell.

Plus, bye the way... It might get stolen. :)

45 minutes ago, The Wizard said:

I know there are special circumstances that riders just can't take it in with them.

I've never ran into any, however.

Right now I'm at McDonalds and it's right beside me.

Walmart, McDonalds, BurgeKing, Wendys, malls, library, community center, outdoor celebrations, parks, lakes, boat ramp.

Lately, I've adopted the, "Do it first and ask for forgiveness later."

Instead of running around always asking about everything.

I find people Like seeing it and think it's cool as hell.

Plus, bye the way... It might get stolen. :)

In the past I have always worried about which places would allow me to bring it in. Lately I also have just brought it everywhere and assumed if it wasn't welcome, someone would tell me. So far it's working out pretty well. ?

Archived