Just got hit by a bus

mezzanine

57 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

image.png.adb3f47732ba3a7edfa8991ad9f4c9b7.png

I have this exact camera in my car, although I got mine from Amazon, not ali ba ba and the forty thieves.  Funny enough I wheeled out today to get a new SD card for it, as the first one has become corrupted.  

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at the same time... you are responsible for your safety at all times. you have to be aware of your surroundings and what's happening as well as what's likely to happen. 

tooling along in the bike lane beside a bus, in it's blind spot, while your approaching a bus stop is a bad plan. you have to anticipate this kind of thing.

a lawsuit may pay out well but i wouldn't recommend going out and blindly making yourself a likely participant in one.

7 minutes ago, stevedig said:

a lawsuit may pay out well but i wouldn't recommend going out and blindly making yourself a likely participant in one.

My brother once had a tenant who actually made a living out of stepping in front of busses. When I knew of him he already had brain damage, slurred speech and walked with a stick from one or more of his escapades  Short sighted? Yes.  Dead now? Probably, that was 30 years ago.

A bus has no blind spots.  There are mirrors everywhere, and its the driver's responsibility to make sure no one is vulnerable to any intended movement of the bus.  But yes, as you say, I'd rather take avoiding action and be alive, that be in the right, and dead

32 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Gees.........im so sorry you had to experience this, I work with several non-profits and grassroot organizations for Bicycle and Pedestrian transit here in LA...we cover this topic extensively.

There will be no doubt that the driver will be caught, a majority of Bus's have GPS guidance, also as stated in a previous post you have the date/time and route..its just a matter of looking into timecards/log books to see who was on.

Not so sure if you would like to get a lawyer right away, there are some Criminal and Civil penalties you may be able to follow-up on.  In essence you cannot put a dollar value on health and your life, I have seen and heard of much worse...a few friends of mine had passed away cycling and we used to go around putting up "ghost" bikes around the city marking the spot of the accident.

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm mostly just shook up.  I was able to mentally note the bus number and the basic appearance of the driver as well as the details of the scene.  It was right downtown where I'd presume there'd be a lot of cameras, but the cop sounded doubtful when I asked him about the potential there could be a recording.

I don't have as much sympathy for drivers who hit people as some folks.  

10 minutes ago, stevedig said:

at the same time... you are responsible for your safety at all times. you have to be aware of your surroundings and what's happening as well as what's likely to happen. 

tooling along in the bike lane beside a bus, in it's blind spot, while your approaching a bus stop is a bad plan. you have to anticipate this kind of thing.

Yeah, this kind of victim-blaming is exactly why I like to leave this kind of stuff to lawyers.  I have no patience for it. 

Just now, mezzanine said:

Yeah, this kind of victim-blaming is exactly why I like to leave this kind of stuff to lawyers.  I have no patience for it. 

victim blaming? where did I blame the victim or anyone?

i'm just saying that better awareness could have prevented the existence of a victim. if you disagree that's fine. everyone is entitled to an opinion.

16 minutes ago, stevedig said:

victim blaming? where did I blame the victim or anyone?

i'm just saying that better awareness could have prevented the existence of a victim. if you disagree that's fine. everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Ever been in an accident where you weren't at fault?  Why didn't your supreme defensive driving skills and awareness save you then?  It only happened because you just weren't being defensive enough... :P

Ever been in an accident where you weren't at fault?  Why didn't your supreme defensive driving skills and awareness save you then?  It only happened because you just weren't being defensive enough...

I have. It broke every rib in my chest and collapsed my left lung. I was in intensive care for 10 days. It required 2 chest tubes to re-inflate the lung.

I recommend NO ONE EVER DO THIS! 

2 minutes ago, stevedig said:

I have. It broke every rib in my chest and collapsed my left lung. I was in intensive care for 10 days. It required 2 chest tubes to re-inflate the lung.

I recommend NO ONE EVER DO THIS! 

Did you feel guilty afterwards for your mistake?

Did you feel guilty afterwards for your mistake?

guilty? in a way.     angry also.    i'm quite normal. at least i think i am. a year and a half later i often think about it. i lost a good bit of the hearing in my left ear in that accident as well. i wear a hearing aid in that ear now so I'm often reminded.

the truth is fault is always partial, assuming the accident is accidental. both parties are always involved. 

i find that the older i get the more i see other views in the scenarios involved. experience i suppose. in a perfect world a bus would have no blind spots and all drivers would look at exactly the correct moments required to see everything that could possibly go wrong and prevent it. 

Gentlemen, lets not get bogged down with who's blaming who, or who's insulting who.  Let's just shake hands and accept, that in a face to face discussion some consensus would be agreed upon with no one losing face:cheers:.  Its just a matter of less than ideally chosen words, wounded egos, unwillingness  to back down ,and not enough funny emojis.:clap3:

Peace, peace :smartass:

@FULspeed How is the battery life on that camera? I have a GoPro clone but I don't tend to use it much nowadays because the battery only lasts about 45 minutes. If there was one that had a 2 or 3 hour battery life that would cover most of my wheel rides. :D  I don't even care if it only records the last 10 minutes or whatever, although it would be nice if it could record more and there was a "save this segment" button. Of course I'm starting to ask for a super GoPro at that point :)

57 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

How to you attach this camera to EUC?

Hi,

In fact was not my intention to attach it to the wheel (I've already tried in the past and without a stabilized camera or a gimbal, the movies are almost inguardable).  My idea is to realize a simple hook (I have a 3D printer) to hook it to the front pocket of my coat... 

Glad to hear no one got badly injured.  I've had cars zoom right pass me in the middle of a marked crosswalk.  Thankfully I can ride pretty slowly so I just give them a wave as they drive by.  Usually I'll try to make eye contact and wave to make sure they see me.  Even at a crosswalk where there is a yield sign, a truck blasted by.  Usually there's no pedestrians crossing at that point so I knew the guy likely wasn't going to stop.  Drivers are used to seeing pedestrians walking so someone rolling on a single wheel doesn't seem to register quite the same.  Best to be super careful anywhere close to traffic.  I much prefer sidewalks and pathways if I can help it.

41 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Drivers are used to seeing pedestrians walking so someone rolling on a single wheel doesn't seem to register quite the same.  Best to be super careful anywhere close to traffic

I do believe there's some truth to this.  We don't move like pedestrians, and we don't look like cyclists, and as you say, on some level we do not register.  While a driver is trying to figure out what camp we fit into (that's if they see us at all) their brain is too engaged to use it to not hit us.  I see it in the behavior of pedestrians too, you know, the one in 10 actually looking where they are going.  They often have no idea how to react, and often react poorly, because they have no paradigm to refer to.

Consider this: 

(Mind of a pedestrian looking ahead and observing other sidewalk users.) Walker? check.  Cyclist? check. Jogger? check.  Guy standing bolt upright, arms by side, not bobbing up and down, moving at speed, silent?  Does not compute.  No known reaction found. ERROR! ERROR!" ERROR!

How many of you have been wheeling along, scanning 5 seconds ahead, weaving left and right to hit the clear spots between the walkers at the right time changing your speed accordingly, only to have some nim nod, look up from their phone, dog, child, ground in front of them,  clock you, and then dart left and right trying to figure out how not to get hit.  Destroying your whole carefully planned route, forcing you to slam on the brakes, and swerve?  See, no frame of reference= unexpected response.

42 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

How is the battery life on that camera?

Hi dmethwin,

I have not yet been able to test the battery life of this small camera, as I said before, I received it only yesterday!

But I don't think it can last so much, I read in the manual that it has a 200 mAh battery. However it can be powered from an external source ...(USB)

1 minute ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:angry:  Startin' to regret psychic summoning certain people back.  :lol:  But the Tesla speeds more than make up for that!  Scary fast!  :blink:

When did the FUC change his handle to "certain people"? :popcorn:

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:angry:  Startin' to regret psychic summoning certain people back.  :lol:  But the Tesla speeds more than make up for that!  Scary fast!  :blink:

3 minutes ago, Smoother said:

When did the FUC change his handle to "certain people"? :popcorn:

Admit it... You both missed me!!!

33 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Admit it... You both missed me!!!

Who is this?  How did you get this number?

Actually, I was away for the summer (your winter obvs) but he didn't psychically summon me !!!:crying:I guess I don't abuse him enough. Well, its never too late to start, except when trying to buy last night's winning lottery ticket :(

OMG why do we ALWAYS hijack threads?!!  This thread started with some dude nearly losing his life under a bus ( @mezzanine I kid, of course i remember it was you -_-) now some of us are trading fake insults (they are fake right?) and posting Willie Nelson videos.  Its a mad house!! a mad house!!

Right that video settles it.  I'm going to dust off that guitar I bought 4,5,6 7 years ago, and learn how to play it.  No, really I am.  Maybe tomorrow.

Archived