Just got hit by a bus

mezzanine

I'm okay, it wasn't that bad.  I was traveling east and was in the bike lane when a city bus started to make a right hand turn from the parallel driving lane.  I don't think the female driver saw me as I was in her blind spot, and I ended up squeezed between the bus and the curb until the bus hit me and sent me flying off the wheel.  The wheel doesn't appear too damaged, but I haven't taken a closer look.  The driver knew she hit me and just sped off.  I just got back from the police station from filing a report.  I'm really hoping there is camera footage of the incident, but suspect they'll conveniently fail to procure it. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The feared "right hook", an occurrence so common that bicyclists have a specific name for it. It's happened to me so often that I've gotten good at turning, then bailing and catching the wheel.

I wouldn't bother with filing a police report unless I had action cam footage. After all, you'll get right hooked again soon, I guarantee it. So you'll have plenty of future opportunities.

15 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

The feared "right hook", an occurrence so common that bicyclists have a specific name for it.

@mezzanine, thank heavens you are OK, going under a bus would have ruined a lot more than your whole day.

It is, of course, a “left hook” in the UK, but I would certainly agree. When I used to ride a bike to work in London it happened about 4-5 times a year. i realised the only way to not get hurt was to peddle like crazy to stay stuck to the side of the car as it went around the corner. Not a lot of help with an EUC but I fitted metal peddles to my bike and made sure the edges were filed sharp.

The next car that did it to me got the whole side of his car spirographed, boy was he pi$$ed off, somehow he thought it was my fault and him and his three mates would have killed me if they had caught me. Thankfully he had turned into a narrow one way street and had a queue of cars behind him. I just rode of back the way I’d came ( and was trying to go in the first place) and never saw him again.

Wow man, glad you and your wheel are OK!

That scenario is like one of the worst.

I hope never to get caught under a bus, or car or train, etc.

My fears keep my pretty much on Forest Preserve Trails.

I can only shudder to imagine what bad events might befall me if I rode in traffic everyday.

Public bus driver fleeing the scene after hitting someone or something? Shouldn't be hard to find the driver, after all you know the time and location. Same for possible witnesses, they're likely in the bus at the same time.

Surprised you worry the police won't do their job in such a case. I'd raise hell with them if I had the slightest inclination to believe that! Aka, "we can make this about the bus driver, or we can make this about you."

@mezzanine. Glad you're ok. Have you thought about riding with a GoPro chest mount? I've done it in the past to make videos. Probably would be a good thing to have in your arsenal. The other thing to consider is a ATH Chameleon. I have one and they are low priced if you go to the right places. I got mine for $30 from a local Bi-Mart. It has a front and rear camera and can hold a 32 gb card. I've mounted it on my wheel and I've used it mounted to my wheel (and my onewheel). I've also mounted it in the interior of my car (which works great when someone following too close realize they're being recorded). Anyway, I think a camera is essential safety gear for almost any vehicle. 

Glad you're OK. I can't count how many times a right turning car has cut me off. Never a danger of being hit because I ride very defensively and always assume that the driver will do what I hope they won't.

Hope the wheel wasn't damaged.

28 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Glad you're OK. I can't count how many times a right turning car has cut me off. Never a danger of being hit because I ride very defensively and always assume that the driver will do what I hope they won't.

Hope the wheel wasn't damaged.

Same here. If I have traffic to my left I always assume they're idiots.

31 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Public bus driver fleeing the scene after hitting someone or something? Shouldn't be hard to find the driver, after all you know the time and location. Same for possible witnesses, they're likely in the bus at the same time.

Surprised you worry the police won't do their job in such a case. I'd raise hell with them if I had the slightest inclination to believe that! Aka, "we can make this about the bus driver, or we can make this about you."

If the bus driver is young and cute then just demand she spend the night with you. That's what I would do. Or have done. Some cute college chick named Brittany bumped into my car around five years ago, so I invited her over to my apartment in exchange for bumper repair, not that the bumper was actually damaged from her. I had damaged the bumper the first week I got my car when I backed into a pillar I didn't see despite its huge bumblebee and flashing lights motif.

I'm glad you're not hurt!

Yes, the camera is the best system. I decided to find one more appropriate then a GoPro, too expensive for this use and not really adapted to this particular work, so I bought a cheap camera car (18$...) on Aliexpress, (just received) which have the 10 minutes record loop option.

Now I will try to attach it to my coat (I was thinking about Velcro)

If eventually interested it's that one:

image.png.adb3f47732ba3a7edfa8991ad9f4c9b7.png

and You can find it there:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-Newest-Mini-Car-DVR-GT300-Camera-Camcorder-1080P-Full-HD-Video-Registrator-Parking-Recorder-Night/700062_32788120012.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.19226f6fAhh67H

i always check as i cross roads or drives into stores or other public lots before I cross. I'll slow and hover making sure I've got eye contact with everyone involved before I strike out. 

i made the assumption once, rolling along beside a line of traffic stopped behind a school bus. the bus folded it's stop sign as i was approaching a road i needed to cross and as I started across the suy to my left got enough space to clear the one ahead and make the right. it nearly squashed me. a sharp right and I wheeled along beside the suv in about 3 feet of space for a few yards till they noticed me and came to a stop. I was doing the same of course. we eyeballed each other for a moment and then the driver waived me across in front of them. um... 

i'm probably going to develop whiplash for how often i whip around to look back over my left shoulder.

22 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

If the bus driver is young and cute then just demand she spend the night with you. That's what I would do. Or have done. Some cute college chick named Brittany bumped into my car around five years ago, so I invited her over to my apartment in exchange for bumper repair, not that the bumper was actually damaged from her. I had damaged the bumper the first week I got my car when I backed into a pillar I didn't see despite its huge bumblebee and flashing lights motif.

:D This story fits perfectly with my mental picture of you! 

1 hour ago, Keith said:

I fitted metal peddles to my bike and made sure the edges were filed sharp.

Priceless.

@mezzanine go to the bus company itself and file a report.  English busses have cctv all over them.  I know, i used to drive them.  But that didn't last long as I drive like @LanghamP My company always investigated any complaint against a drive (again, don't ask me how I know :()  Also, its likely that driver will drive that route regularly.  If you want you could scope her out, if the bus company wont play ball. Good Luck.

24 minutes ago, FULspeed said:

I'm glad you're not hurt!

Yes, the camera is the best system. I decided to find one more appropriate then a GoPro, too expensive for this use and not really adapted to this particular work, so I bought a cheap camera car (18$...) on Aliexpress, (just received) which have the 10 minutes record loop option.

Now I will try to attach it to my coat (I was thinking about Velcro)

If eventually interested it's that one:

image.png.adb3f47732ba3a7edfa8991ad9f4c9b7.png

and You can find it there:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-Newest-Mini-Car-DVR-GT300-Camera-Camcorder-1080P-Full-HD-Video-Registrator-Parking-Recorder-Night/700062_32788120012.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.19226f6fAhh67H

Will the camera help you when your dead :confused1:

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Priceless.

@mezzanine go to the bus company itself and file a report.  English busses have cctv all over them.  I know, i used to drive them.  But that didn't last long as I drive like @LanghamP My company always investigated any complaint against a drive (again, don't ask me how I know :()  Also, its likely that driver will drive that route regularly.  If you want you could scope her out, if the bus company wont play ball. Good Luck.

Really appreciate the guidance.  :)

If I didn't think the driver was aware she hit me and decided to drive off, it wouldn't bother me as much. 

2 hours ago, mezzanine said:

I'm okay, it wasn't that bad.  I was traveling east and was in the bike lane when a city bus started to make a right hand turn from the parallel driving lane.  I don't think the female driver saw me as I was in her blind spot, and I ended up squeezed between the bus and the curb until the bus hit me and sent me flying off the wheel.  The wheel doesn't appear too damaged, but I haven't taken a closer look.  The driver knew she hit me and just sped off.  I just got back from the police station from filing a report.  I'm really hoping there is camera footage of the incident, but suspect they'll conveniently fail to procure it. 

Glad you are okay. Clearly this driver doesn’t have a hard time sleeping at night. ? 

Just now, mezzanine said:

If I didn't think the driver was aware she hit me and decided to drive off, it wouldn't bother me as much. 

I wouldn't assume this. bus drivers dip in and out of stops without coming to a full stop all the time when the stop is empty and no one gets up to get off. 

if the driver couldn't see you before they hit you then its not like they could see you after. it's not like there would be a noise or anything that could be felt on the bus from the contact. 

2 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

Gees.........im so sorry you had to experience this, I work with several non-profits and grassroot organizations for Bicycle and Pedestrian transit here in LA...we cover this topic extensively.

There will be no doubt that the driver will be caught, a majority of Bus's have GPS guidance, also as stated in a previous post you have the date/time and route..its just a matter of looking into timecards/log books to see who was on.

Not so sure if you would like to get a lawyer right away, there are some Criminal and Civil penalties you may be able to follow-up on.  In essence you cannot put a dollar value on health and your life, I have seen and heard of much worse...a few friends of mine had passed away cycling and we used to go around putting up "ghost" bikes around the city marking the spot of the accident.

5 minutes ago, mezzanine said:

If she doesn’t realize she hit something or someone, she shouldn’t be driving a city bus or a big rig or anything that involves that much skill. Again, glad you okay. :)

26 minutes ago, stevedig said:

if the driver couldn't see you before they hit you then its not like they could see you after. it's not like there would be a noise or anything that could be felt on the bus from the contact.

Here in England the bus driver is ALWAYS at fault, even if it wasn't his fault.  Every wayward pedestrian, even on the sidewalk is the responsibility of the driver.  Drivers are trained to scan their mirrors like they are tracking a demented fly in their cab. You get failed for not checking your mirrors enough.  I'm not sure what training goes on in your jurisdiction, but considering the deeply litigious nature of the US public, I would suspect it isn't insignificant.  I would get deeply litigious if i were you.  You came this close (holds up thumb and fore finger) to getting squashed dead.  There's no coming back from "under a bus tire"

And yes there's lots of noise inside the bus, when it hits something, even something small (AGAIN, don't ask me how I know )

Bottom line it is her responsibility to see you.  Shes moving thousands of pound of bone crushing steel and glass, not a bag of marsh mallows.

Archived