Msuper V3S full case needed... after my fall.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao:

All very interesting.  I'll look into all of this.

WOW! they're pretty pricy.  I'm only trying to protect my head, not something valuable.:facepalm:

They are that. But I'll spend what i need to on protecting my noggin. Breaking a bone is one thing, but even lifelong discomfort from a poorly healed busted wrist/knee is more preferable to spending the rest of my days dribbling down my chin while my poor wife spoon feeds me and wipes my arse or hiding behind a scarf because half my face was smashed apart. The best full face helmet you can afford is the first thing you should buy.... Even before buying the EUC.

10 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

dribbling down my chin while my poor wife spoon feeds me and wipes my arse

I like it when my wife does this, I call it "Saturday night", but what I don't like is that she uses the same spoon for both? :cry2:

Actually I DO get the whole "how valuable is your head to you" argument, but theses are EUCs not Hyabussas.  The fastest I can go on my 16s (absent a poorly positioned cliff) is 22mph, A severe sponge would be sufficient for my head, and some al dente spaghetti for a chin guard.  I kid, I kid.

No, what I meant was, why spend that on a fancy bicycle helmet, when for that of less, one can get an actual motorcycle helmet with orders of magnitude higher protection.  We don't need the lightness (no pedaling, or human powered climbing).  Thats all. 

27 minutes ago, Smoother said:

No, what I meant was, why spend that on a fancy bicycle helmet, when for that of less, one can get an actual motorcycle helmet with orders of magnitude higher protection.  We don't need the lightness (no pedaling, or human powered climbing).  Thats all. 

No reason at all not to go down the MC helmet route and in some cases it is preferred (cold climates etc). Much of the cost of bicycle helmets is the R&D needed to maintain protection with maximum ventilation and minimum weight. As you point out though MC helmets are generally heavier however and while that might not bother you when riding if you worry about your neck then having the least amount of additional weight on the end of it is better during an uncontrolled tumble. They also generally have a narrower field of view and insulate sound better meaning reduced awareness of your surroundings. They will however protect your head supremely. 

Having owned both styles I have to say I wouldn't want the weight of my old flip front Caberg MC helmet on my head while riding an EUC.

8 hours ago, Smoother said:

I've also re energised MY search for the perfect EUC helmet.  Don't want to go full M/C helmet, basic bicycle helmet doesn't protect face, Mountain bike down hill DOES have a very sticky outy chin guard which might actually give credence to the spine injury theory.  What to do, what to do.  Football helmet? ice hockey helmet? air soft helmet?  :crying:

Is there any evidence to support the "sticky outy chin guard" theory? If so, I think the pro-sport community (MTB and Longboard riders, and associated media sites) would ditch/diss them in a heartbeat, which would strongly affect sales and thus cause the major helmet manufacturers to not use that form factor. :rolleyes:

@WARPed1701D and others (including me) have posted many times about our positive experience with the MTB convertibles (Giro Switchblade and Bell Super 3R) , and a few have commented about less expensive full-face models with fixed chin guards. I have also been looking hard at the DH-rated Longboard helmets (Predator DH6 and TSG Pass, reviewers say they are better than the Triple-8) with face shields for winter, as should be obvious from my posts, but they seem overkill for now with my Beetle Ninebot. They look really cool, but are a bit pricey (expect to pay $200-300 for the non-carbon models). The TSG chin is not so pronounced, but the Predator DH6 has a long snout. BTW, the Bell Super 3R, TSG Pass, and Pred all weigh less than a kilo, about half what a typical, affordable (non-carbon fibre) motorcycle helmet does.

TSG Pass Helmet - Purple, Medium

Predator DH6 Gloss black Skateboard Helmet

11 hours ago, LanghamP said:

If you knew you were crashing tomorrow then would you wear one? 

Yes. Wouldn't life's decisions be much simpler if we always knew what was going to happen tomorrow.

BTW, I met someone today who lived in St Louis for awhile and the topic came up regarding safety, and he emphasized how dangerous and mean people were in that city. He had been mugged there too. For some reason I thought of you and your bad experiences too, and your low regard for humanity in your neck of the woods. Man, what's wrong with Missouri?

50 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@WARPed1701D thanks for posting that, Im seriously starting to look at full face now, even tho Im not going to go that fast now... or at least for a while.

Im leaning  towards MET Parachute  for now.

Memories fade. You'll be riding fast again ;)

7 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

@WARPed1701D thanks for posting that, Im seriously starting to look at full face now, even tho Im not going to go that fast now... or at least for a while.

Im leaning  towards MET Parachute  for now.

Awesome! The Parachute is meant to be a great helmet as long as you are happy with the fixed chin bar (most people are). I have the Giro Switchblade, which I love. The removable chin bar turned out to not be as useful as I had hoped as the remaining helmet is too big for me to use on my bicycle in the Florida heat however removing it makes putting the helmet on and taking it off much easier. I believe a few other members have the Parachute. Do a search of the forum and drop them a message for their opinions. If you get one it would be great to see a review of it in the safety forum.

I suggest you shortlist a couple of options you like beyond just the Parachute and try to find a store locally that stocks them. Different manufacturers shape their helmets to their perception of the average head shape and each is different. A brand that fits one person well can be horrible on another and what is right for you will only become known by trying a few on. If you can't find them locally then order a few on a credit card from Amazon at the start of your blling cycle. Try them on at home and return the unwanted ones before the CC billing cycle is up. It may cost $5 per helmet to return but it is a small price to pay to get the right one and Amazon refund the money normally on the day you drop off the returns at the P.O. By the time your CC balance is processed you should only have the balance of one helmet to pay off.

51 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Awesome! The Parachute is meant to be a great helmet as long as you are happy with the fixed chin bar (most people are). I have the Giro Switchblade, which I love. The removable chin bar turned out to not be as useful as I had hoped as the remaining helmet is too big for me to use on my bicycle in the Florida heat however removing it makes putting the helmet on and taking it off much easier. I believe a few other members have the Parachute. Do a search of the forum and drop them a message for their opinions. If you get one it would be great to see a review of it in the safety forum.

I suggest you shortlist a couple of options you like beyond just the Parachute and try to find a store locally that stocks them. Different manufacturers shape their helmets to their perception of the average head shape and each is different. A brand that fits one person well can be horrible on another and what is right for you will only become known by trying a few on. If you can't find them locally then order a few on a credit card from Amazon at the start of your blling cycle. Try them on at home and return the unwanted ones before the CC billing cycle is up. It may cost $5 per helmet to return but it is a small price to pay to get the right one and Amazon refund the money normally on the day you drop off the returns at the P.O. By the time your CC balance is processed you should only have the balance of one helmet to pay off.

Good point, I will try few at local mountain bike shop if not I will do the online. If I get full face I have no reason to remove chin, I wanna make sure its on all the time :))

DONE.... for now.

Silicone, screws, tape and some flat black paint.... not bad of a recovery. Handle was bend a little, but I was able to take it out and bend the opposite way, works very good now.

Word of caution/ advise...  wear full gear (full face helmet, Im looking for one now). I cant begin to imagine if I had no protective gear what could have happened.

189sYMf.jpg

3 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Good point, I will try few at local mountain bike shop if not I will do the online. If I get full face I have no reason to remove chin, I wanna make sure its on all the time :))

Check out https://www.revzilla.com  They have high quality video reviews of all the helmets that they sell

10 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

DONE.... for now.

Silicone, screws, tape and some flat black paint.... not bad of a recovery. Handle was bend a little, but I was able to take it out and bend the opposite way, works very good now.

Word of caution/ advise...  wear full gear (full face helmet, Im looking for one now). I cant begin to imagine if I had no protective gear what could have happened.

189sYMf.jpg

Looks pretty good actually. Like a tough warrior machine. Too bad you lost the light, but you can always strap a light onto the handle.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Marty Backe just placed an order for https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Super-MIPS-Cycling-Helmet/dp/B01KXZQPVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504491678&sr=8-3&keywords=SUPER%2B3r&th=1&psc=1 will spray paint some/ most parts flat black., but for the money, cant beat it.

Very good. I am sooo close to buying a full face helmet. Too many choices :cry2:

ha ha ha, to be hones not really, where you  are it is very hot, you need something  very well vented, few brands to choose from.

Looking forward to what you choose and your review, I will do one as well :)

1 hour ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Marty Backe just placed an order for https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Super-MIPS-Cycling-Helmet/dp/B01KXZQPVE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504491678&sr=8-3&keywords=SUPER%2B3r&th=1&psc=1 will spray paint some/ most parts flat black., but for the money, cant beat it.

I like that one.  Good price too. Oops, not so good price after all.  I bought a whole car for less than that, not long ago. :blink: I'm curious, if you wanted a flat black one, why didn't you buy the flat black one?  There are 4 black, or mostly black options.

Sometimes here in So Cal I go to play it again sports, they have helmets and other gear that im not willing to pay full dollar for.  A majority of the time it is some off brand, or maybe have been used once or twice.  When I took up skiing (once!) I made out like a bandit compared to retail, not sure if they have nationwide locations?

21 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I like that one.  Good price too. Oops, not so good price after all.  I bought a whole car for less than that, not long ago. :blink: I'm curious, if you wanted a flat black one, why didn't you buy the flat black one?  There are 4 black, or mostly black options.

Look at the price difference. The flat black one is probably what you are comparing the car to. Look at what he bought - half the price.

11 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Sometimes here in So Cal I go to play it again sports, they have helmets and other gear that im not willing to pay full dollar for.  A majority of the time it is some off brand, or maybe have been used once or twice.  When I took up skiing (once!) I made out like a bandit compared to retail, not sure if they have nationwide locations?

We have a group ride this Saturday if you're interested. In Orange County. Looks like at least 7 riders so far will be participating.

32 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

114. vs 229., usd., $6.99 can of spray can make a world of difference......

Ah, you bought a medium?  I assumed you would need a large.  Large, in that color, are $230.  I hope a medium works for you.  Every helmet I look up the reviews say the sizing is wrong, order bigger than you think. Maybe I'm just linking to the wrong one (dark blue)  The teal IS $114 in large.  I'll assume you bought that one.  Yes, that and a can of paint would be a good price.  I'll see if Amazon UK carries them locally.

EDIT minimum price in UK is $218 US.  ANOTHER reason I loved living in the USA, reasonable fricking prices.

What are you guys, insane? 

A top line sport bike helmet is $70!

HJC FG-17 Banshee Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet (MC-5, X-Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDPPHO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QRfkAbP8RNH23

This is xlarge which might fit. 

Large is $101.

HJC FG-17 Mamba Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet (MC-5F, Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDPPWR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KWfkAb90H93FY

7 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

HJC FG-17 Banshee Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet (MC-5, X-Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDPPHO2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QRfkAbP8RNH23

Large is $101.

HJC FG-17 Mamba Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet (MC-5F, Large) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDPPWR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KWfkAb90H93FY

Your recommendation hasn't fallen on deaf ears.  I was contemplating getting a balaklava this morning, but I'll probably just grab one of these. 

*Annnnd a quick look at Canadian prices kills that idea.  Will still look for a motorcycle helmet.   

13 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I hear you on that score, but because I travel mostly on sidewalks and walking/biking trails, in a country where EUCs are illegal; nothing says "you don't belong here" more than a full face street legal motorcycle helmet.  People are already jumping out of the way because of the unknown thing gliding towards them, slap on a road helmet and they'll think I'm actually riding a crotch rocket on the walking trail.  Not cool.  But I agree, $70 for highway approved protection versus $114 for, oh, I fell off my bicycle.  Doesn't make any sense, especially at UK inflated prices.

Those helmets are $188 and $260 over here.  We get ripped off on everything.

Archived