WheelLog & Pebble for Better Safety in Riding

Marty Backe

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I prefer to play it safe. When I'm cruising at 25-mph and hit a bump large enough to cause the watch to buzz, I need to slow down on future bumps of that nature. I prefer not to experience a face-plant like that Tesla rider, so I'm learning where I need to be conservative.

I entirely agree and still respond to a buzz by changing my ride appropriately (especially with just a 2P setup). I guess my point was that in my conditions and because I set my limit so low the odd buzz is to be expected. I also add that i graph my wheellog data regularly to see what was happening  when a buzz was triggered. Usually the surge is within the 20 amp spec. Only by following up a buzz with a log inspection can you learn the most from the alarm.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

@Marty Backe, How do you set warning buzz in WheelLog? I cannot find where this Maximum current setting is.

Swiping from the left should bring up the config screen. Then open the Alarms section. Scroll down near the bottom to find the max current alarm.

43 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

OK, I found it. Thanks. Now I remember that I used it before.

But the current alrm 's maximum allowable current is 50A. How do you set to 90A?

Did you use the slider or the dialog that lets you type in a number. I used the dialog. Also, I'm using the 'forked' version of WheelLog so maybe that allows larger values???

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Did you use the slider or the dialog that lets you type in a number. I used the dialog. Also, I'm using the 'forked' version of WheelLog so maybe that allows larger values???

IT has slider to set current ttrigger. It also allows typing in a numer <= 50

Forked version?

6 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

IT has slider to set current ttrigger. It also allows typing in a numer <= 50

Forked version?

The original WheelLog is no longer being maintained. It's now maintained by a new author who has added all kinds of nice features, the biggest being that you can now configure your wheel (tilt-back, alarms, pedal mode, lights, etc.). Here's the version that I'm using, released in September: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc8swvnsgkkm5ai/Forked WheelLog_17092017.apk?dl=0

When connecting to the wheel it will ask for a password (for Inmotion wheels). Ignore and click OK.

Im looking for something with iOS, signal to headphones or 30km/h, 35km/h etc. warning through your headphone. In the traffic the bibs that gotway makes are hard to hear at times. Anyone using something similar on iphone?

@Marty Backe, what do you recommend the amperage setting for the MSuper V3s? 

I'm sorry, could you post recommended settings for a 220 pound rider on an MSuper? I'm unsure what I want except I don't want to crash, and I'm reluctant to do any sort of testing since there is NO feedback to when a motor is being stressed to nearly the max. Tiltback, setting for alarms, etc...?

On 11/29/2017 at 4:33 PM, yourtoys7 said:

Im looking for something with iOS, signal to headphones or 30km/h, 35km/h etc. warning through your headphone. In the traffic the bibs that gotway makes are hard to hear at times. Anyone using something similar on iphone?

I'd love that too.

49 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I'm sorry, could you post recommended settings for a 220 pound rider on an MSuper? I'm unsure what I want except I don't want to crash, and I'm reluctant to do any sort of testing since there is NO feedback to when a motor is being stressed to nearly the max. Tiltback, setting for alarms, etc...?

I can't offer any intelligent to say here. I just experimented a little until I picked a value that only caused the amperage alarm to trigger under strenuous conditions. This will change based on the wheel and the weight. Alarms and tilt-back is always off on my wheels.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

As a starting point I would set it at 0.8 x (10 x No. of parallel packs). That should put you at roughly 80% of the battery's ability to deliver current within the usual specs for these cells. In winter maybe set it lower to account for the effect of cold. This doesn't consider the max current the motor can consume before which could be less although unlikely given the peak surge currents motors can pull. 

21 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

As a starting point I would set it at 0.8 x (10 x No. of parallel packs). That should put you at roughly 80% of the battery's ability to deliver current within the usual specs for these cells. In winter maybe set it lower to account for the effect of cold. This doesn't consider the max current the motor can consume before which could be less although unlikely given the peak surge currents motors can pull. 

While i understand this formula and think it is a good idea/formula....i would guess it is more or less a kind of experiencing to set the right values. Because this formula needs that the amperage shown is correct. I doubt that for Gotway wheels, at least for the Tesla it is totally to high....and i remember that for my Msuper V3 also.

I would test the settings on a steep hill with a lots of pushing, and adjust wheellog so, that the alarm goes on on that amperage measured there(or a bit higher).

On 29.11.2017 at 5:33 PM, yourtoys7 said:

On DarknessBot you can adjust the app, that the Phone vibrates on device (GW) alarms, too...

I woould guess you can hear that then on headphone, too? Or at least feel the phone vibrating.

8 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

While i understand this formula and think it is a good idea/formula....i would guess it is more or less a kind of experiencing to set the right values. Because this formula needs that the amperage shown is correct. I doubt that for Gotway wheels, at least for the Tesla it is totally to high....and i remember that for my Msuper V3 also.

I would test the settings on a steep hill with a lots of pushing, and adjust wheellog so, that the alarm goes on on that amperage measured there(or a bit higher).

Agreed. Simply a place to start that is founded on a little logic rather than picking a figure from the air.  Real world testing will make it clearer over time in which direction and by how much it should be adjusted as well as some analysis of collected logs from existing rides to determine normal consumption over known terrain. 

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, guyr said:

@Marty Backe I believe you have tilt back disabled. Aside from that, what are your alarm settings in Wheel Log (besides current) if any? And at what speed(s)/condition does your Gotway alarm you (if any)?

Thanks!

I have tilt-back off and the 1st and 2nd alarms off, on all of my wheels. For WheelLog I have the current alarm configured, and the temperature alarm set at 70. I'm going to experiment with one speed alarm, set to 25-mph. The Tesla and Monster can exceed that speed easily and I'd rather not go faster than that.

• 3 months later...

i finally got a pebble 2 watch today but i can’t figure out how to get the wheellog info to the watch. phone is connected to the watch. wheellog connected to the ks wheel but where do u get the info on the watch?

Could someone please link the good Pebble watch? I have been searching Amazon & Google but it's confusing. I want to be able to see my current speed and maybe bluetooth music, but mostly speed and general data. No-phone required would be best. Ideas? 

I was thinking it would be funny to mount a motorcycle 5" GPS to my KS18s with a mount, you could glance down for info, 3d map, etc. You'd have to stop to use the press screen since it's too low (unless you ride seated).

Edit: oh, Pebble 2, ok. Nevermind.

So you use the wheellog app connected to the Pebble 2 to see your info, i gotcha. I might just buy one of these then.

13 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i finally got a pebble 2 watch today but i can’t figure out how to get the wheellog info to the watch. phone is connected to the watch. wheellog connected to the ks wheel but where do u get the info on the watch?

Did the WheelLog Pebble app install itself on the watch?

Assuming that the WheelLog is running on the Pebble watch, you need to enable the WheelLog/Pebble watch connection. In the upper right corner of the WheelLog app you will see a watch icon. Click that (should turn red I think) and the telemetry will now show up on the watch.

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

@Marty Backe so the pebble watch needs the wheellog app also?

where's the app for that?

thanks for the help.

Do a Google search for "WheelLog Pebble App"

Archived