Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

Been looking at my first EUC for sometime and must say im so lucky to be part of this community.  

I have been looking at different specs, pricepoints, brand reputation etc.  

Looking for an EUC that will help with my almost 3 mile commute in the mornings to my Bus Stop and return at the end of my work day.  I must say I will probably not ride any EUC for sometime that I can safely jump off of at any speed (dont know what that max is yet!).  Some requirements would be a good battery, strong motor and easy to transport/carry.

I am more and more drawn to (2) options the Kingsong 14d or the Gotway Mten3...for some reason I keep getting pulled back to the Gotway..although it doesnt have a light (for night riding) im sure thats a simple fix, bigger debate is that they are almost at the same pricepoint!  sooooooo with that said one or the other? and why are you convinced?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Mten3 has a headlight.

Well, that's a relief. :thumbup:

Either way, factor in purchasing a strong headlamp or torch light and some reflective wear for night riding. You'll need to see and be seen if you want to stay safe/alive.

Edited by RayRay
Plus helmet/safety gear
Link to post
Share on other sites

the mten3's headlight is plenty bright. lights up the road ahead very well. 

light clothing and/or reflective materials are good ideas if your going to be anywhere near traffic in the dark, no matter what your doing...

i like my mten3. it's small and light enough i last mile the trip into the office, snatch it up, walk in and set it on my desk. no wheeling things through the office on a trolley handle. it's like carrying a grocery bag, albeit there is a bit more weight than your typical sandwich materials. i like it for this and conditions where there are lots of obstacles or pedestrians in tight proximity. it turns on a dime.

i've never had an opportunity to ride a ks14 so can't really speak to the diffs. love to try one out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevedig said:

the mten3's headlight is plenty bright. lights up the road ahead very well. 

light clothing and/or reflective materials are good ideas if your going to be anywhere near traffic in the dark, no matter what your doing...

i like my mten3. it's small and light enough i last mile the trip into the office, snatch it up, walk in and set it on my desk. no wheeling things through the office on a trolley handle. it's like carrying a grocery bag, albeit there is a bit more weight than your typical sandwich materials. i like it for this and conditions where there are lots of obstacles or pedestrians in tight proximity. it turns on a dime.

i've never had an opportunity to ride a ks14 so can't really speak to the diffs. love to try one out.

Nights thats exactly what I was thinking.  Although by the time I check in to work and arrive at my destination its a good 15 to 20 min walk.  Wondering if a trolley handle would be better?  So sorry for the confusion with the headlight, coulda sworn none of the specs I read said headlight...alas it does!!  

Ill check the mod section for a DIY Handle for the Mten3, surely there's one out there...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Nights thats exactly what I was thinking.  Although by the time I check in to work and arrive at my destination its a good 15 to 20 min walk.  Wondering if a trolley handle would be better?  So sorry for the confusion with the headlight, coulda sworn none of the specs I read said headlight...alas it does!!  

Ill check the mod section for a DIY Handle for the Mten3, surely there's one out there...

Not only does the Mten3 have a headlamp, it's the brightest light on any EUC currently made. When the Tesla was released we discovered that it also uses the same light.

You can actually safely ride these wheels at high speed in darkness which is not doable on any other Gotway or KingSong wheel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Not only does the Mten3 have a headlamp, it's the brightest light on any EUC currently made. When the Tesla was released we discovered that it also uses the same light.

You can actually safely ride these wheels at high speed in darkness which is not doable on any other Gotway or KingSong wheel.

Awesome, Ive seen some great vids of you on these things! seems like that level of riding takes a LOT of skill, practice and just plain ole experience.  How do you think this handles the daily sidewalk bumps, potholes, etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Wondering if a trolley handle would be better?

I go up to the 15th floor and wander through a few sections of the "tower" before I get to my desk. I have wheels with trolley handles but like the mten3 because it's more inconspicuous. If I want to take a roll around the block break I'm not wheeling a cart through the building in front of me. I've done this plenty enough too tho. :) It draws less attention by far, at least until I put it on the ground, turn it on and roll off.

it depends on what you need. there are times when rolling something along beside you may be undesirable. times when it's better to be able to easily pick it up and carry it or stuff it in a tight space under a seat or in an overhead bin or ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, stevedig said:

I go up to the 15th floor and wander through a few sections of the "tower" before I get to my desk. I have wheels with trolley handles but like the mten3 because it's more inconspicuous. If I want to take a roll around the block break I'm not wheeling a cart through the building in front of me. I've done this plenty enough too tho. :) It draws less attention by far, at least until I put it on the ground, turn it on and roll off.

it depends on what you need. there are times when rolling something along beside you may be undesirable. times when it's better to be able to easily pick it up and carry it or stuff it in a tight space under a seat or in an overhead bin or ...

I haven't done this, but I've contemplated doing so; fabricate a cloth over that goes over the Mten3 with an opening for the handle. The bottom of the cover would reach to the ground. Then you could carry the Mten3 and it would almost look like a shopping bag - the wheel wouldn't be visible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aalenkin said:

Awesome, Ive seen some great vids of you on these things! seems like that level of riding takes a LOT of skill, practice and just plain ole experience.  How do you think this handles the daily sidewalk bumps, potholes, etc...

Potholes, not so much. It's not that the wheel can't, but it'll be uncomfortable and potentially dangerous at higher speeds. Although the Mten3 is capable of ~25 mph (scary), its sweet spot is ~10-mph. At those speeds the Mten3 is fun for avoiding obstacles.

When you progress to advanced riding skills you will discover that it's actually fun to weave in and out and around things. You start looking for those opportunities. The Mten3 is great fun in this regards.

But when you have a mission to get from A to B, the Mten3 is not the best wheel although it's capable enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Potholes, not so much. It's not that the wheel can't, but it'll be uncomfortable and potentially dangerous at higher speeds. Although the Mten3 is capable of ~25 mph (scary), its sweet spot is ~10-mph. At those speeds the Mten3 is fun for avoiding obstacles.

When you progress to advanced riding skills you will discover that it's actually fun to weave in and out and around things. You start looking for those opportunities. The Mten3 is great fun in this regards.

But when you have a mission to get from A to B, the Mten3 is not the best wheel although it's capable enough.

Thank you @Marty Backe your experience and input is priceless.  Still leaning toward an Mten3! lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow your heart. In doubt, your intuition is right.

The 14D is clearly better suited for more robust commuting (aka some days you're just tired and distracted and may just want to get to your destination without having to eagle-eye any small potential bump) and longer distances. But if for some reason you prefer the mten3, get it! You can make anything work. And if you plan to stay below ~20km/h (run off speed) the mten3's small tire won't be such a big problem with unexpected bumps at these speeds (I certainly wouldn't want to hit a bump at 30km/h with it! Or go that fast at all...).

An mten3 is also a great excuse to get a second wheel (16 or 18) sooner, than a 14 incher might be, which is much closer to these. Plan for the future, too:efee8319ab:

Weight is 10kg for mten3 vs ~12.5kg for the 14D, so it's not that big of a difference.

Both wheels are fantastic and you'll love whatever one you get.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

some days you're just tired and distracted and may just want to get to your destination

The Mten3 will get you where you're going (and you will have fun getting there)...

I still think you might prefer to add a trolley handle and more lights; (I'd never rely on the Kingsong's lights by themselves). Also, additional lights help drivers see you; (so there's that to consider.)

I work late and ride home tired, but I'm energized by all the lights and electronic gizmos I'm carrying... (Of course, one flash rain storm and ZAP! :shock2:)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now here's what I mean by wearing added lights and reflective wear to 'see and be seen'...

Check out @Lukasz (aka Luk-Luk) who's my Euro-twin in night riding gear; (damn I look good!).

It's barely dusk and he hasn't even activated those sweet twin-beam headlamps on his helmet; but I dig his 'side-lights'.

Edited by RayRay
Need more lights!
Link to post
Share on other sites

One more point to consider, seems like the mten3 battery is a design weak point.

Maybe some mten3 owners can chime in and say how serious/considerable they think this is? I find it hard to judge...

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

Reviving an older thread, I'm likewise trying to make that choice.  Can anyone offer any insight on the relative rain and shallow puddle resistance of these two wheels, from their own experiences?  There are a lot of unexpected rainshowers that can ambush a commuter here in the "rainy season".

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 4:42 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

One more point to consider, seems like the mten3 battery is a design weak point.

Maybe some mten3 owners can chime in and say how serious/considerable they think this is? I find it hard to judge...

FYI, for any United States customers, EWheels supplied Mten3's have a modified battery that is not susceptible to this failure mechanism.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 10:11 PM, Thai-lad said:

Reviving an older thread, I'm likewise trying to make that choice.  Can anyone offer any insight on the relative rain and shallow puddle resistance of these two wheels, from their own experiences?  There are a lot of unexpected rainshowers that can ambush a commuter here in the "rainy season".

I actually have a video comparing these to wheels I did for a friend.  I don't cover water, but you do get to see them side by side in comparisons. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

I've used the KS-14D in the rain, both mild rain as well as short distances over heavy rain. It's pretty stable on wet roads with bad potholes. The headlight is ok on dark wet roads - the wheel doesn't go fast enough for the weak light to matter.

I was looking at the Mten3 but Marty Backe's comments about suitability on bad roads made me decide against it. The 14D works very well for my last mile commute as well as short (< 6-8 miles) errands around town.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also don't forget the Mten3 has a tube-less tire. You will probably have to change it more often if used on a daily commute? Imo, just get the cheapest one lol. You will want a bigger wheel with at least more range for recreational use later, I'm sure! Keep in mind, this being your first unit, you will probably trash it pretty good while learning to ride. Totally normal but another point for buying cheap maybe. Either way welcome to an awesome hobby! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...