Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A: The Segway One S1 has two lithium-ion batteries, one on either side with a combined capacity of 310 Wh, to ensure the high performance riders demand. You can fully charge it in just 4 hours or top it off at any time. Depending on riding style and terrain, you can get up to 15 miles of range on a full charge.

Ninebot/Segway's model numbers are pretty confusing.  I used to think the 2 designation referred to the number of batteries,  but it doesn't appear to.

19 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

A: The Segway One S1 has two lithium-ion batteries, one on either side with a combined capacity of 310 Wh, to ensure the high performance riders demand. You can fully charge it in just 4 hours or top it off at any time. Depending on riding style and terrain, you can get up to 15 miles of range on a full charge.

Ninebot/Segway's model numbers are pretty confusing.  I used to think the 2 designation referred to the number of batteries,  but it doesn't appear to.

The designation indicates origin. 

Segway S1

Ninebot S2

I think they are identicle other than origin. 

Assuming I am not yet ready to drop the cash for a Tesla or a KS16S is there a better starter wheel out there for $300? I generally prefer the deep end type of commitment but in this case I might end up with a smaller wheel first (upgrading can always include a hand-me-down of the starter to my wife/son)

3 minutes ago, da5id said:

Assuming I am not yet ready to drop the cash for a Tesla or a KS16S is there a better starter wheel out there for $300? I generally prefer the deep end type of commitment but in this case I might end up with a smaller wheel first (upgrading can always include a hand-me-down of the starter to my wife/son)

I doubt that you can even find another wheel for that price unless you get a TGT3 generic from China with possibly used laptop batteries in the battery pack and a tiny 132wh battery at that.  I bought one for $270 as my starter wheel and it was so weak and underpowered it was practically unusable.  

Ninebot is good quality.

8 minutes ago, da5id said:

is there a better starter wheel out there for $300?

For the price, there is no better deal in the foreseeable future. Yes it may be a bit slow & the odds are that Segway will shortly be discontinuing the line soon, but if you're looking for a first Wheel & you don't want to make a large outlay, don't hesitate, buy it today!

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

For the price, there is no better deal in the foreseeable future. Yes it may be a bit slow & the odds are that Segway will shortly be discontinuing the line soon, but if you're looking for a first Wheel & you don't want to make a large outlay, don't hesitate, buy it today!

WOW @Jason McNeil !!! So glad I caught your amazing Christmas deal before they completely sold out.  ;)

tesla sale

2 hours ago, da5id said:

I wouldn't buy it.  $300 is not enough to get a good wheel.  I wouldn't buy a wheel that cost less than $950, unless it was used and sold second hand, and I could test it locally.  I wouldn't buy a second hand wheel from a private seller or commercial dealer, unless I could see it in person, ride it around about 2 miles, testing the power and speed, and and checking the battery on the app.

Sorry, but we all just get carried away looking for a good deal.  I remember being in your situation.  Around a thousand is a good starting point.  You almost got me to order one of those $300 ninebots.:w00t2:  I still want to, to see what I would get.

For $300, it's not enough money to fight about.  The Kingsong 14D looks like an upgrade to the Ninebot One E+, 420wh vs 320wh, 800 watt motor vs 500 watt motor. 

Main difference , the Kingsong tire is only 14 inch diameter vs Ninebot 16 inch.  Don't know if that would be a big difference.

Today, I used the old Ninedroid app and checked the power usage. At strong accelerations it went up to over 900 watts.  It is supposed to be a 500 watt motor.:huh:  Momentery, but still!

Can't really trust the readout, but the wheel seems high quality.

I would get the KS14D.  Still thinking about it.  $800 seems like a good price.

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

I wouldn't buy it.  $300 is not enough to get a good wheel.  I wouldn't buy a wheel that cost less than $950, unless it was used and sold second hand, and I could test it locally.  I wouldn't buy a second hand wheel from a private seller or commercial dealer, unless I could see it in person, ride it around about 2 miles, testing the power and speed, and and checking the battery on the app.

Sorry, but we all just get carried away looking for a good deal.  I remember being in your situation.  Around a thousand is a good starting point.  You almost got me to order one of those $300 ninebots.:w00t2:  I still want to, to see what I would get.

For $300, it's not enough money to fight about.  The Kingsong 14D looks like an upgrade to the Ninebot One E+, 420wh vs 320wh, 800 watt motor vs 500 watt motor. 

Main difference , the Kingsong tire is only 14 inch diameter vs Ninebot 16 inch.  Don't know if that would be a big difference.

Today, I used the old Ninedroid app and checked the power usage. At strong accelerations it went up to over 900 watts.  It is supposed to be a 500 watt motor.:huh:  Momentery, but still!

Can't really trust the readout, but the wheel seems high quality.

I would get the KS14D.  Still thinking about it.  $800 seems like a good price.

9bot1 s1 and s2 are both 14” wheels. since i have close to zero riding experience, can’t really comment or review them, but just from a layman’s viewpoint, the 9bots appear to be a quality device. 

for $321 in florida with sales tax delivered, u should get one, if u don’t have a 14” just for knocking around or for tricks. that @Jonathan Tolhurst tricks are amazing but that’s a 16” wheel.

if they are plane friendly, idk if they are, that would be a good reason. 

somebody will figure out how to unlock that 12.5 mph speed limit in the future i’ll bet.

5 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I wouldn't buy it.  $300 is not enough to get a good wheel. 

...  almost got me to order one of those $300 ninebots.:w00t2:  I still want to, to see what I would get.

Let me see if I can get you to change your mind. 

First and most importantly, it's beautiful. Every review comments how beautiful this wheel is. It belongs in a museum of modern art. 

2nd, it wouldn't be your only wheel. This is a wheel you drop off at your office, truck, or car, and rarely use it but when you do it's invaluable. 

3rd, this is a wheel you'd kick around or let others kick around with the understanding that while 300 is a lot of money it isn't "oh my God my MSuper went into a lake" expensive. 

4th, you would not use protection on this wheel, nor would that be inappropriate. 

5th, it's not an ultra cheap Chinese copy of copy. It's a quality wheel.

33 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

4th, you would not use protection on this wheel, nor would that be inappropriate. 

since my batman 9bot1s2 is hideously protected for learning, i probably won’t go crazy protecting the 9bot1s1. i’ve got 9bot bumpers and the bumper stuff for the new white one coming, so i’m gonna try and control myself. they are very pretty wheels, prettier than the king song’s if u like minimalistic design. i’m planning on decorating/protecting the new white one to make it appealing to a girl riding it. 

15 minutes ago, novazeus said:

since my batman 9bot1s2 is hideously protected for learning, i probably won’t go crazy protecting the 9bot1s1. i’ve got 9bot bumpers and the bumper stuff for the new white one coming, so i’m gonna try and control myself. they are very pretty wheels, prettier than the king song’s if u like minimalistic design. i’m planning on decorating/protecting the new white one to make it appealing to a girl riding it. 

I meant the rider not the wheel as the top speed is low. 

Just now, LanghamP said:

I meant the rider not the wheel as the top speed is low. 

oh, i gotchu. yeah, that’s why i figure it would be perfect for getting a gf on one. i’ll still bundle her up with protection though. even 10 mph is 3x’s faster than walking. 

25 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Great price.  Segway name and great Amazon return policy.

It's a nice looking wheel.  If someone could say it's allowed on a plane then it's a no brainer.

from faa website:

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

looks like the 9bot was designed for air travel. removing the batteries looks easy and the batteries look like a laptop battery pack as opposed to shrink wrapped battery packs. 

Archived