Amazon: Segway S1 for $299, Mistake? Getting Out of Single-Wheel Business?

Jason McNeil

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wish I could ride in the malls here...

Just realized Vietnam has all the best Ninebot videos ever... :dribble:

yeah they are very slick marketing. the girl riding in the mall is perfect because besides eating, shopping is another feel good for them. if i can ride one, the girls i know would never aquiese to a two wheel 9bot.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Just realized Vietnam has all the best Ninebot videos ever... :dribble:

she makes it look easy. no protective gear etc. what the little 14” was designed for. not everybody needs to go fast. i think if humans weren’t rude riding these on sidewalks, like not showing off, zipping around pedestrians, typical assholic human stuff, there would probably not be a problem co-existing. non euc riders already view  euc riders as “show offs” with “look at me” attitudes, so downplaying that would go a long ways towards acceptance. everybody wants to be noticed these days.

@Marty Backe not that ur videos are bad but this is pretty slick. something about a girl on a euc is more enjoyable watching than looking at u.

12 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Trying to imagine a girl that size carrying the 27lb ninebot all over the mall... having a hard time seeing that in real life. Much more believable if it had a trolly...

ninebot claims only 25 pounds.i’ll weigh it thursday.

go on a trip with girls, their luggage will be close to fifty pounds. they can lug more than u think if it’s vanity related.

4 minutes ago, novazeus said:

ninebot claims only 25 pounds.i’ll weigh it thursday.

go on a trip with girls, their luggage will be close to fifty pounds. they can lug more than u think if it’s vanity related.

Most of the time that luggage has wheels though. The thing I hear complaints about in my experience with girls lugging heavy things around is that they don't want to get callouses on their hands. I see they had the backpack thing at the end which is more believable (but pretty ugly - therefore maybe less believable).

4 minutes ago, electricpen said:

The thing I hear complaints about in my experience with girls lugging heavy things around is that they don't want to get callouses on their hands. 

haha, haven’t heard that complaint yet. my response would be, pack lighter. i think the ninebot weighs more than 25 pounds. maybe they’re weighing it without batteries. being able to take it on a plane would be a big deal. especially the s2.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

she makes it look easy. no protective gear etc. what the little 14” was designed for. not everybody needs to go fast. i think if humans weren’t rude riding these on sidewalks, like not showing off, zipping around pedestrians, typical assholic human stuff, there would probably not be a problem co-existing. non euc riders already view  euc riders as “show offs” with “look at me” attitudes, so downplaying that would go a long ways towards acceptance. everybody wants to be noticed these days.

@Marty Backe not that ur videos are bad but this is pretty slick. something about a girl on a euc is more enjoyable watching than looking at u.

Shocking, absolutely shocking, that you would prefer watching an attractive woman riding an EUC than me :o :P

Kind of strange that she's riding in the mall at the beginning but then later she's carrying it around. Not very realistic, but certainly makes for a good commercial. I thought the best part was the last 30-seconds when she's leaving and zooms off into the distance.

I wonder why the commercial is in English :confused1:

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My vietnamese sister rode in a large outlet mall here in America. As long as you're a vietnamese girl you're allowed to ride an EUC in any malls.

16 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

My vietnamese sister rode in a large outlet mall here in America. As long as you're a vietnamese girl you're allowed to ride an EUC in any malls.

Cool. Of course you were riding there too ;)

I've ridden mine into a local mall but only through the door and to the store near the entrance. I'm tempted to ride further, but I think I'll only do that with my Mten3 since it appears so much smaller and is very maneuverable. 

40 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Shocking, absolutely shocking, that you would prefer watching an attractive woman riding an EUC than me :o :P

Kind of strange that she's riding in the mall at the beginning but then later she's carrying it around. Not very realistic, but certainly makes for a good commercial. I thought the best part was the last 30-seconds when she's leaving and zooms off into the distance.

I wonder why the commercial is in English :confused1:

i have an new open air outlet mall next to me(tampa bay premium outlets) actually on part of the ranch sold years ago. maybe someday Bob and i will try it. like in the slow season.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

haha, haven’t heard that complaint yet. my response would be, pack lighter. i think the ninebot weighs more than 25 pounds. maybe they’re weighing it without batteries. being able to take it on a plane would be a big deal. especially the s2.

You can give some shoutouts to the "hoverboard" producers....they ruined that possibility even for low watthour EUC's.

Because of the hoverboard reputation now ALL selfbalancing units and electric personal transporters are forbidden in general on passenger flight(90-95% of all airlines implemented that ban). No matter if checked in luggage or hand luggage :-(

28 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

You can give some shoutouts to the "hoverboard" producers....they ruined that possibility even for low watthour EUC's.

Because of the hoverboard reputation now ALL selfbalancing units and electric personal transporters are forbidden in general on passenger flight(90-95% of all airlines implemented that ban). No matter if checked in luggage or hand luggage :-(

you might be right. i’m not flying commercial anytime soon so maybe somebody can test this with a 9bot.

faa website:

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

looks like the 9bot was designed for air travel. removing the batteries looks easy and the batteries look like a laptop battery pack as opposed to shrink wrapped battery packs

4 minutes ago, novazeus said:

you might be right. i’m not flying commercial anytime soon so maybe somebody can test this with a 9bot.

faa website:

Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).

looks like the 9bot was designed for air travel. removing the batteries looks easy and the batteries look like a laptop battery pack as opposed to shrink wrapped battery packs

Thats all correct...

in general you are allowed to carry 2 big lithium batteries up to 160wh.

Problem is that most airlines implemented a "No SBU unit" on board...even if this unit with NO battery!

Happened to myself when i wanted to bring a KS16 (empty! documented!) from BKK to Germany with emirates...

No chance!

Eh, I ordered mine. 299 no apparent tax. It's a beautiful wheel that I'll kick around. 

That makes three 14 inchers, sheets, but to be fair I've given the V5 to the gf, the KS14c I've retired due to the weak axle, so there is some need for the S1. 

Also, for ~24 bucks you can extend the manufacturers warranty by 2 years. Not sure what they could do for you as I get the impression most of these are self service, but Squaretrade verified this morning they would "cover it"... Worst case it dies and I get a full refund from the extended warranty co. because they don't know how to fix things.

22 hours ago, da5id said:

Assuming I am not yet ready to drop the cash for a Tesla or a KS16S is there a better starter wheel out there for $300? I generally prefer the deep end type of commitment but in this case I might end up with a smaller wheel first (upgrading can always include a hand-me-down of the starter to my wife/son)

Seems like a no brainer deal to me.

On 11/23/2017 at 9:16 AM, Jason McNeil said:

Effective today, & the next week, all the Wheels on eWheels.com are going to be discounted by $25 & a free set of eWheels branded wrist-guards thrown in as well. ...

Question (from complete ignorance):  What injury are wrist guards for, and what's the alternative?  If I may picture it:  the wheel detaches, my feet trip on the road, my shoulders continue groundward at airspeed, I reach out reflexively, my wrist crumples to absorb the impact, and for the next six months the only online shopping I will do is by hollering, "Alexa, order me a dollhouse!"  But if I wear wrist guards, won't I clobber either my knuckles or my elbows?  Where does the stress go?

6 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

Question (from complete ignorance):  What injury are wrist guards for, and what's the alternative?  If I may picture it:  the wheel detaches, my feet trip on the road, my shoulders continue groundward at airspeed, I reach out reflexively, my wrist crumples to absorb the impact, and for the next six months the only online shopping I will do is by hollering, "Alexa, order me a dollhouse!"  But if I wear wrist guards, won't I clobber either my knuckles or my elbows?  Where does the stress go?

You will see that wrist guards have a slide plate in the palm area which helps to make your hands slide on the hard ground. This distributes some of the energy. The remaining energy is transferred up your arm which is stronger than your wrist. But there is a risk that a bone further up your arm can be injured (broken).

That's why I have chosen to spend $$$ and wear Flexmeter wrist guards, which are supposed to reduce this injury. Search this forum and you can find much more discussion on them.

Also, see The Riding Safety section of this forum

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/58-riding-safety-and-protective-gear/

And here's an overview of my safety gear, including the Flexmeter guards

Hope this helps

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

You must be the first one to get one from this second sale.  I think several other forum members ordered about the same time.

yeah when i saw jason’s post originally i was checking amazon for the 299 price constantly. after paying 700 for the same thing, except 2.5 mph slower, now i’m at $500 average. 

Archived