Does the orientation of the HALL effect sensor matter?

Smoother

My limited understanding of the HALL effect sensor, is it senses the position of the magnets relative to the coils.  That information is then used by the control board to control the strength and duration of the energy pulses it sends, in order to achieve the desired speed and direction of rotation, called for by the gyro chip.

I ask, because I'm forced to fix my KrackSong glass axle (14c) and I want to rotate the axle 90 deg. in the pedal arms for increased strength where its needed, which would put the HALL sensor at the 3 o'clock position rather than the factory 6 o'clock position

Don't worry about how I'm going to accomplish the axle/arm interface (I have a cunning plan)

@Smoother imho the orientation of the sensors matters - the output/voltage/resistance is proportional to the magnetic field and by this has to have a direction?

But imho you meant the "relative" position along the wheels circumference by mentioning the 3 o clock versus 6 o clock position? As long as you shift all sensors by the same angle i could not imagine any prob (which does not have to mean anything ?). Best to ask our members from the firmware thread - they should have the most knowledge regarding this topic!

But i cannot really follow your thought - why not leave the hall sensors where they are? I do not see any need shifting them only because you change the axle "rotational angle"?

But again - involve our firmware guys to gain some real practical knowledge?!

Ps,: the relative position of the hall sensors in regard to the coils along the circumference could matter?!

I did flip the axle upside down when I had a crack and it worked just fine. I did it just as a temporary solution before getting new axle so the pedals woudn't scrape the motor in the mean time. It was a gamble as the axle could have broke off entirely at any time after this but it didn't before I got a new one. ;)

7 hours ago, andress said:

I did flip the axle upside down when I had a crack and it worked just fine. I did it just as a temporary solution before getting new axle so the pedals woudn't scrape the motor in the mean time. It was a gamble as the axle could have broke off entirely at any time after this but it didn't before I got a new one. ;)

Thanks for that. reassurance.  I don't need to take the risk you took, as I have another wheel to ride.

Did you actually get a new axle, or a new motor?

37 minutes ago, andress said:

axle, have a look at my threads I posted about the change

yes, thanks.  I read through all of that. Very interesting.  Well done, that was an excellent write up, great photos, and videos. I'm Sorry it hasn't returned to like-new driving.

I have my motor in pieces right now.  No damage to the wires, so that's something.  Haven't pressed out the axle yet as I've been replacing the timing belt on my car ( turned out great btw)I have one large HALL sensor, with 5 wires; +, - ,A, B, C.  I'll try very hard not to damage it.  KS Poland is trying to sort out an axle for me.  I'm not sure if he's ordering one from China or having one fabricated locally.  I'll have to check, because if he's having one made I'd like to specify not to cut it KS style, but leave both ends round for maximum strength.  I'll sort out the arms to match.  You don't need those weak cut outs to make a secure connection.

Archived