First EUC - Ninebot S2, Inmotion V8 or KS14D?

e.motion

Hi everyone!

I've been debating for over a week now (!) about which EUC to get first. I've narrowed my choices down to the S2, V8 and KS14D.

My personal cons and pros for each one:

Ninebot S2

Pros:

• Cheapest of the 3 - 584,05€ after discounts. Retails for 699€.
  • The only EUC I can get through an authorised dealer in my country, which means easier warranty claims and no shipping expenses to send it back.
  • STUNNING design
  • 24kmh top speed. I like my teeth and I'd like to keep them lol
  • Slim and light. I value portability.

Cons:

• No trolley handle (big, big deal for me)
  • No leg pads
  • I've read people saying it can go for only 14km (~9miles). Really? Half the advertised range? I weigh 81kg (178,5 pounds).
  • I've also read that Ninebots are "outdated". How so?

KingSong KS14D

Pros:

• Trolley handle!
  • Range!
  • Front and back lights.
  • Speakers. Not a must but nice to have.
  • Leg pads

Cons:

• Costs +419€ than Ninebot at 1.003,14€. Money kinda is a big deal for me... :x
  • "Hello KingSong"
  • All KingSongs look like cheap toys to me for some reason...
  • Trolley handle looks so short! I'm 1,79m tall.
  • Top speed is too high for me. Is there a way to set it lower in the app?

Inmotion V8

As I see it, this one is basically a 16" KS14D with much improved aesthetics (+++), no speakers (= no "Hello KingSong"), clunkier and slightly higher price tag at 1.064,08€. Which takes me to my last point - what's really the difference between a 14" and 16" wheel? I'll be riding mostly in the city but I want to use it off-road sometimes, too. 

Which one of the three do you recommend the most? Is the Ninebot S2 a bad long-term purchase?

Welcome to the forum @e.motion!

The S2 is the "oldest" wheel, has imho just something about 500W (did not find the motor power while googling)? But it could have be the smallest and lightest euc of your selection? ( Also not really sure about this).

One can also break ones teeth and chin with 20 km/h ?. (1)

For safety motor power is important (the 3kw advertised for the ks14d is just wrong). A nice overview of the capabilites can be found at https://airwheel.ru/2017/10/27/test-monokoles-na-dinostende/. The less capable a wheel is, the easier one can overlean it and risk a faceplant!

But what i remember from the forum reports, there were not much probs reported from the S2 - just quite recently some battery probs...

Reaching just about half the advertised range is quite "normal" for all wheels - with some hills it can get even less. The advertised ranges can eventually be reached by weighing 50 kg and driving slow on a flat road...

For off road driving a 16 inch wheel should be the better choice!

You did not mention range you'd like to go between recharging - quite an important point!

If one likes EUC riding, normally one tends to go longer and faster - so the first wheel will be to weak within a couple of weeks/months...

Especially bicycle riders which overtake one all of the time are very annoying ?. To "prevent" this 30-35km/h max speed is very nice.

For kingsongs top speed can be reduced (tilt back and alarm speeds can be adjusted freely), imho also the "hello kingsong" message can be turned off for all kingsongs by now...

Imho one of the nicest allround wheels by now is the ks16s ... But costs again more than your choices so far...

There were also some other "beginners choice" topics here recently to gather some information, and of course many wheel specific reports/discussions...

Edit (1): the only real protection here is a safe helmet with chin guard (or maybe get some intense parcour training a couple of years before ?)

@e.motion

Welcome...

As i would not advise to buy an S2, as it is quite slow, nonetheless a small tip:

In the moment it is a available over ebay germany for about 369 - 399 Euro. Not bad as a starter wheel. 

But again, i would like @Chriull , recommend a Ks16s, also.

1 hour ago, cloudust said:

For a starter EUC, I think you should get a cheap but reliable one. After some beatings, you know where you want to go next.

Yes - there are for sure many for example ninebot one c/e+ users which are after sone years still satisfied with the wheel! Its just suggestions we can give, the decission has to be made personalky to meet ones requirements/desires.

Not beeing the newest and most powerfull wheel the S2 still can be the perfect choice...

I'd recommend the KS14d (or KS14s) because the other two have lower speeds. Everyone complains at how low the S2 and the V8 feel. The KS14, on the other hands, feels pretty scary at 18-19 mph, so your self-preservation instinct kicks in rather than a software limit.

With my wheels, it goes something like this at 90% speed:

V5F -- wish I could go faster.

KS16s -- wish I could go faster.

KS14c -- this is too fast.

GW MSuper -- this is waaaay too fast!

Be advised 28 kph is about the limit of running off an EUC.

16S if money is no problem:efee47c9c8:

I'd say the 14D (think of it as a small 16S) is better than the V8 (which is outdated in my opinion) and much better than the Ninebot (which is slow). Though maybe the sub-400€ ebay Ninebot might be worth it, if you can get one, less than half the price of the others. Depends really on what you want. Can you imagine upgrading soon, or would you rather buy your forever wheel now (which in the end, saves money)?

For offroad, 16 inch will be better than 14, but in the end, both is doable.

Would be nice if you detailed yor ideas what you think you'll do with the wheel, how you use it, maybe range ideas, etc. Also, were other models you considered, and if yes what were reasons for ruling them out? Just some more general info.

All the members on this site advising you here love to ride EUCs. None of them are casual users by choice unless wheel failure, weather or injury prevents them; most have ridden (tens of) thousands of kilometers – often in a very short time. So their advice (like mine) assumes you will become addicted :w00t2:within days/weeks of learning to ride. As a result, the implicit assumptions are that you will want to ride as much, or more, for pleasure and exploration as for routine errands or short commuting. Thus, power, range and speed are often the biggest issues which affect the recommendations you will receive. Also, many/most members own more than one wheel and (want to) purchase their second EUC within 6 months of the first.

As a new rider, you probably won't know what features will be most important for you until you have had it for a while and know how you are really going to use your wheel. All three options you listed are good choices in some respects. Also, where you ride will greatly affect what you value most in a wheel. 

So, rather than debating the pros and cons of each wheel which have been mostly addressed above and numerous times in other similar threads, let me suggest different decision criteria:

1. Save the most money until you know what you really want. If you know you can afford to spend 1.000€ or more within 3-9 months to get that second wheel, but want to save money at first until you can be sure how you will want to use it, save the most money and buy the S2 for 369€. It is reliable, versatile, and a good deal. However, you will definitely want a second, more powerful, larger wheel (16" or more) with trolley handle in 6 months. I think 95% of the community will agree based on the typical rider scenario mentioned above.

2. Buy the best wheel available at the best price to meet all your needs for as long as possible. Here, the 14D and V8 are very similar and closely matched, although the 14D should cost a couple hundred less. Both are very good wheels, and a few members actually have (owned) both. I would choose the V8 for its 16" wheel, and the 14D (14") because it is otherwise a better experience. So, if you will ride on rough surfaces where there are frequent bumps, pot holes, speed bumps, road damage, etc. as I do, then the 16" wheel is probably more important. However, if the roads are generally smooth and in good repair, I would definitely pick the 14D.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

I'd recommend the KS14d (or KS14s) because the other two have lower speeds.

?? Both KS14D & V8 have max speeds of 30km/h / 18.6 mph, no?

@e.motion what others don't seem to mention:

• You cannot go wrong with any of the wheels you've stated, just go ahead and buy one and start riding! You'll definitely discover deficiencies that you didn't realize were a priority, we all did!
  • IMHO this is not a fair comparison, as the S2 is a 500W nominal motor, whereas V5D & V8 are 800W nominal motors. The higher power translates into faster uphills and less chance of instantaneous cutout/re-balance on hitting bumps at top speed.
  • Problems will arise where you need to open the wheel. The V8 is by far the easiest to open out of all these wheels.
  • Ninebot, even with it's aging tech, still has great re-sale, name value: the fact that you even included it in this discussion is proof of this. If you do purchase the S2 and learn that you want more, I'm sure it won't be difficult to sell it. Plus, the fact that the 2 cartridge-style battery packs are airplane standard friendly is a plus.
  • You don't want to be carrying any of these wheels for prolonged periods of time IMHO. While the S2 design is probably the most refined, any trolley handle you attach will look unsightly and ruin the purpose of this design.
  • FWIW the S2 has no headlight or taillight, and the side LED's are not the most visible from a front/back head-on view.
  • Faster speed is not necessarily only about going fast for the sake of going fast IMHO. When riding alongside traffic like bicycles or even cars, not having enough burst speed to get out of your own way can be dangerous in itself.

32 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

?? Both KS14D & V8 have max speeds of 30km/h / 18.6 mph, no?

The bigger wheel of the V8 compared to the KS14 makes it feel less dangerous.

I looked around a bit more and I can get a KS16C 680W for 1149,48€ (1335,52 USD), or a KS14D for 970,15€ (1127,16 USD) from https://emonocykle-sklep.pl

Which will give me the best bang for buck?

i'm not sure about the difference between 14" and 16". People say 14" is hard(er) to learn and very unforgiving of bad pavement, yet more agile for city riding. But pavement in Portugal is mostly sh*t... 

25 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

These prices seem high. Have you checked Alibala?

You think? :(

I can't seem to find any lower, unless I go to ebay. But I don't want ebay because then I have no after sale service/warranty... 

Whatever I'll just go with the S2 + Inmotion V5's trolley handle :/

43 minutes ago, e.motion said:

I looked around a bit more and I can get a KS16C 680W for 1149,48€ (1335,52 USD), or a KS14D for 970,15€ (1127,16 USD) from https://emonocykle-sklep.pl

i'm not sure about the difference between 14" and 16". People say 14" is hard(er) to learn and very unforgiving of bad pavement, yet more agile for city riding. But pavement in Portugal is mostly sh*t... 

I would go the 250€+ for the ks16s - a total dufferent wheel as the C and more than worth the price difference!

I'm not very sure if they did not offer recently the ks16s quite cheaper (indroruction offer?) - the shop owner/a representative is also a member her. Maybe you get a forum rebate ?.

12 minutes ago, e.motion said:

You think? :(

I can't seem to find any lower, unless I go to ebay. But I don't want ebay because then I have no after sale service/warranty... 

Also a great decision! Have fun riding!

1 hour ago, e.motion said:

Go for the 16s and invest some bucks more! Write to that shop owner...he has made a good offer recently!!!

It is definitly worth it! the 16c is about 1year old tech, while the 16s i brandnew, new board, motor and firmware, and up till today, flawless in terms of safety!

@KS Poland thats your shop, or? ;-)

Unless you buy from someone in your town, you're going to have to ship it, for any work to be done, anyway.

Having said that, just because your seller is local doesn't mean he is any good.  my personal recent experience with dealers and distributors, leads me to say, if you want to get serious about these things you're going to have to be prepared to get your hands dirty from time to time.  this is not the Auto industry, with networks of dealers, established warrantee, service, and repair facilities.  This is the dark side of the moon, the bleeding edge of technology, if you will, and you better have brought your own tools, and bandages.  I say this while not 10cm from my left hand is the inside of a 14"wheel.  I mean the axle and coils and nothing else.  by my feet is the rim and tire, and over to my right is a pile of all the rest of it.  I didn't enter this sport in the hopes of dismantling a wheel.  I got in for the fun.  But over time you realise that you may have to rely on yourself if something goes wrong. And when you start looking at £40 of shipping fees and more for parts, you start to search for your screw drivers.  Don't let that put you off. All i'm saying is, if your local dealer doesn't have a rock solid reputation for taking care of his customers, he might as well be on the dark side of the moon too.

Loving my KS16s.  Still love my 14c (once the glass axle is sorted out)

15 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Go for the 16s and invest some bucks more! Write to that shop owner...he has made a good offer recently!!!

It is definitly worth it! the 16c is about 1year old tech, while the 16s i brandnew, new board, motor and firmware, and up till today, flawless in terms of safety!

@KS Poland thats your shop, or? ;-)

@e.motion the 1200w nominal power of the S vs the 800 W nominal power is a totaly new experience! Comparable to my step from the 500 w ninebot one e+ to the ks16c with 800W.

Once with my ks16c i did not see a "negative bump" while crossing a road, got an bad forward lean by this and was sure i will crash into the asphalt - with some short delay and an adrenalin rush the 16c accelerated below me and everything went well. I'm quite sure that with the e+ i would have crashed and with the ks16S i would not have any story to tell (nothing felt/happened)!

Btw: the S is one of the new generation wheels with thicker(stronger) axles!

2 hours ago, e.motion said:

Would you take the 370€ ebay offer or the local seller for 584? For the price difference, I'd risk the ebay thing. Doesn't Ninebot have a dealer-independent repair network anyways, in the worst case? Who here knows more? But do what you're most comfortable with (same applies to choosing the wheel itself). The Ninebot is a good choice to keep the price lower, as the alternatives are double that. But you don't seem 100% happy with it? Take your time and don't feel pressured to order quickly (but you'll probably want to get a ride NOW!!! I know that feeling:efee8319ab:).

Just for completeness, the Inmotion V5F is around 800€ (with shipping) so that's another choice sitting between the Ninebot and the others (though I'm not sure whether its price/what-you-get ratio is good, but it exists, so I thought I mention it). Don't know how strict your limitation to the 3 models S2, V8, 14D is...

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

These prices seem high.

Welcome to Euroland!

On 11/21/2017 at 5:12 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Just for completeness, the Inmotion V5F is around 800€ (with shipping) so that's another choice sitting between the Ninebot and the others (though I'm not sure whether its price/what-you-get ratio is good, but it exists, so I thought I mention it). Don't know how strict your limitation to the 3 models S2, V8, 14D is...

Welcome to Euroland!

I'd eat top ramen until I could afford a KS14s, knowing how the big battery 14 inchers are so suitable for urban life.

On 11/21/2017 at 5:31 PM, Smoother said:

I can't remember hearing anything bad about the V5f.  Or is the the V5f+ i'm thinking of?

I'm pissed off at my V5F+ for bricking on me due to bad wires.

Note the two black wires with slight cuts. And evidently the control board needed to be replaced.

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You're right, the V5F is too expensive for what it offers, in comparison. I also forgot the V5F vs V5F+ thing.

My V5F+ cost more than my KS16s, though I did get a fast charger and cover. But my GW MS3v cost a mere $750. :)

Archived