light last mile solutions

mark321

My main ride is a KS18b which is very fast and capable. It works well on its trips, but I find I rarely use it for mixed mode transportation. For that I'd like something very small and light, and it wouldnt' have to have the extensive speed and range of a KS18b to work as a last mile range extender for use with other transportation options

So opinions on what are the best options for that?  EUC and non-EUC ideas are all welcome

High on my list is the Mten3, at 22# that would be super easy to carry around, and it has way more speed and range than I'd need for last-mile kind of use. But how road worthy is it over cracks and pot holes? I wouldn't want something that's too hard to ride even if it is for short distances

Another EV I've always been intrigued by is the zboard2. They're also light with good speed and range, but I have zero skate board experience. Can skate boards with tiny little wheels like that navigate rough roads? Anybody have experience with the zboard or any of the other balance-sensing skateboards? I like the idea of not having to use a hand controller like most electric skateboards require.

I'm not totally opposed to considering scooters, the kind with handles that fold, but I am somewhat biased against them, they're generally just not as cool

If you want small and light (and very carryable), do you know about the IPS i5? I wouldn't know any other existing lighter electrical vehicle, except those "Rocket Skates" motorizes shoes (not sure how practical). Everything else is bigger (like electric skateboards) or heavier (including the mten3).

https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-ips-i5-245wh-feather-weight/

I just got an IPS i5 for exactly this.  I'm an EUC newbie, and I've had it all of four days, but it seems like a good compromise unit to me so far.  I have a backpack on order to carry it into various "destination" locales; mine is 17.3 pounds, and that's not a casual weight to carry in a backpack, but plenty do-able I think.

I'll have a more firm opinion after I've had it for a while and put a good few miles on it.

4 hours ago, mark321 said:

High on my list is the Mten3, at 22# that would be super easy to carry around, and it has way more speed and range than I'd need for last-mile kind of use.

Still, carrying around 22 lbs is not ideal IMHO, and I regularly lift FWIW. 

Adding a trolley makes it way better.

But how road worthy is it over cracks and pot holes? I wouldn't want something that's too hard to ride even if it is for short distances

The 800W nominal motor makes cracks and appropriate-sized potholes/divots (you obviously need to be vigilant for larger ones) no issue on mine on the crappy streets of NYC, especially after "upgrading" from the stock tire to the better alternative Mini Pro 70/65-6.5 tire.

Another EV I've always been intrigued by is the zboard2. They're also light with good speed and range, but I have zero skate board experience. Can skate boards with tiny little wheels like that navigate rough roads? Anybody have experience with the zboard or any of the other balance-sensing skateboards? I like the idea of not having to use a hand controller like most electric skateboards require.

Rough roads and skateboard wheels don't mix IMHO. While I was never an excellent skateboarder, my daily commute at one point before EUCs used to be kick-pushing a Nickel board on 78mm wheels with a pretty hard duro rating. Tires to me are way better to navigate crap streets and rough terrain.

I believe the main gripe about the Zboard series is that your feet/stance needs to be in pressing distance of the pads, which was the same issue with the Gotway e-board (which had even tinier buttons).

You might want to check out the upcoming StarkBoard (17 lbs), which instead employs a gyroscope, much like our EUCs, so you are not limited to one particular stance. Maybe@Tishawn Fahie can chime in as he shot this StarkBoard demo below (and owns a Zboard as well):

I'm not totally opposed to considering scooters, the kind with handles that fold, but I am somewhat biased against them, they're generally just not as cool

Coolness factor aside, the best compact, lightweight e-kick scooter is probably still the Fastwheel/Kuickwheel F0 (see here and here), coming in at 21.6 lbs, though you do sacrifice top speed (17mph) and uphill torque (most likely needs to kick-push start).

I have several euc’s.. but really when it comes to that last mile I bring an electric skateboard. I take a train all the time to Eastern Long Island, and ride in the dark to a beach house.. it’s a 4 mile trip and it’s much easier on a e board for me.  I use a board that weighs 11 lbs. and hits 15 mph. It fits very easily on the rack on a train. My Mten is twice the weight and just not worth it..

Since I've been carrying around a 45# 18" kingsong, anything 22# or less seems like it would be gloriously tiny and easy to carry.

Admittedly smaller is probably better for this usage, and the IPS i5 is interesting. I guess it's 14", but with a thin tire? Anybody know which is more road worthy between the Mten3 and the i5? It sounds like the Mten3 has more torque and a wider wheel, while the i5 has greater diameter.

For Mrd777, is it the just the weight of the board that makes you prefer it over the Mten3 for the mixed mode trips? Independent of the weight how do you feel about the road worthiness of the skateboard vs the Mten3?

I don't really like the idea of those platforms you have to set your feet on for the zboard, but reviewers claim it's easy to get used to and works. The zboard at least has 97mm wheels and 38" deck length which makes it large-ish I think

9 hours ago, mark321 said:

For Mrd777, is it the just the weight of the board that makes you prefer it over the Mten3 for the mixed mode trips? Independent of the weight how do you feel about the road worthiness of the skateboard vs the Mten3?

Yes, the weight really does make a difference, ( 11lbs. is light )the board also fits in a backpack. Believe me, I love all my euc’s, and I commute daily in nyc on one; however for that true “last mile” after a bus or train ride, it seems easier on a e skateboard for me. Train racks these days are fairly shallow and a skateboard fits nicely above your seat. Also, rough terrain is a drag on a skateboard so you have to take this in account.

Archived