Gotway Tesla vs Onewheel Plus

outcast00096

So... I own a Onewheel (og model). I'm part of the Onewheel owner group. There's a guy who wants to buy a Tesla but the Onewheelers... Well, they're Onewheelers. They don't have anything nice to say about anything that is not a OneWheel. They mostly see us as nerds and put down anything that is a different rideable. Anyway, here's a comment that got me going.

I'm not impressed...
Where does this 37mph figure come from? The specs say 40km/h which is roughly 24mph, I've gone that fast on my onewheel.
Increased range 60km (roughly 36 miles) and increased charge time of 5 hours, that's vs the 6 - 8 mile range I get, and 30 minutes tops on my charge time. 

I'm sticking with the onewheel, I definitely prefer the board sport posture vs the unicycle posture.

So, I ran the numbers and thought I'd put it here for fun, for posterity, and just to get other people's thoughts.

Onewheel Plus vs Gotway Tesla Stats -

36 miles divided by 8 equals 4.5 charges (OW+). 

4.5 x 30 minutes. 135 minutes charging. (Supposed to be 20 minute charging time but dude quoted that so I went with that anyway).

Extra 2 hours of traveling.

24 mph for 36 miles - 1.5 hours traveling. 

Onewheel total time - 3.5 hours. 

Tesla - 1.5 hours.

If Tesla has quick charger - 2 hour to 80%

80% of 36 miles. 28.8 miles

28.8 / 8 (guy quoted 8 for OW+) = 3.6 charges (Note: 8 miles on a OW charge is not unheard of but its not common)

3.6 x 20 mins (for giggles and I've always gotten 20 minute charges) 72 minutes charge - 1 hour and 12 minutes

24/mph for 28 miles - 1.167 hours

Onewheel wins back half (if charge time is 20 and not 30 min)

Figures do not include "limp" mode or reduced speeds for both models. The Tesla would not reach limp mode as quickly as the OneWheel because of larger battery. Assume  20% battery allows 10 to 12 mph on both models. 

OneWheel reaches 20% battery every 6.5 miles if 8 miles per charge. 

Tesla reaches limp mode (assuming it limps at 20%) when it has 7.6 miles left of 36.

Does not factor in that Tesla can reach speeds of 30 mph and higher.

Does not factor in hills or downhills.

Reliability is about the same on both machines. (Nosedives are common with OneWheels but they are usually due to user errors such as trying to go 24 mph for long distances.) <-- edit forgot the ending )

Edited by outcast00096
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Charging time is really the least important factor I could think of. It hasn't even anything to do with the device itself, but with the battery and the delivered charger, which can be replaced rather easily.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/20/2017 at 7:15 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't think they're comparable. Riding style and usage and everything. Onewheels are like offroad/bumpyness-capable specialty skateboards, EUCs are actually useful general-purpose transportation tools and far better at this as we all know, those people are just jealous.:efef015fe0: I don't even care about stats - different ergonomics, different vehicles, different usages.

Let them have their "Onewheeler!" identities and their fun, we are beyond such requirements, EUCs are practical AND fun enough on their own.

(What other answer did you expect here?:efee612b4b:)

I want one but not as a skateboard but as a slightly (slightly!) different take on the EUC. Couldn't you convert any EUC into a One-wheel by simply placing a board over the foot pads? I doubt changing foot positions to mount would be difficult for any experienced Wheeler.

After observing one in real life for the first time yesterday, I do not think the One-wheel is suitable for any off-road. At all. Zilch. It's OK for doing downhill trails and and leveled fields but the chiseled front precludes going up steep hills and objects we can bunny hop just enough for our EUCs to catch and claw up.

I would love to see Gotway or KS to do a One-wheel done right, with great range, speed, a much better entry angle, and trolley able.

He must have been really inexperienced OneWheel rider. 

The short answer is no. You could not put a board over the foot plates to make a OneWheel. You lean forward on the OneWheel to go forward. On an EUC you also lean forward to go. The difference is the foot placement. The toes point forward on an EUC and they point to the side on a OneWheel. If you switched stance to be in skateboard stance then you couldn't go forward. The only thing you could do is go left or right. You might be able to go diagonally forward or back but not true forward or backward because the EUC footplates were meant to be used with toes forward and not to the side.

If you're talking about standing EUC style on OneWheel then you're riding the SoloWheel Iota or the Sherpa (which is awesome, I want one, it looks like a cross between the onewheel and an EUC). However, you're not a OneWheel anymore, you're an EUC again.

Future Motion has done a great job with the OneWheel except for the starting and stopping. The detection of feet is sometimes very... Well, wonky at times.

Off-roading. OneWheels are for off-roading. Just watch the video below. These are v1 onewheels.

Edited by outcast00096
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, outcast00096 said:

He must have been really inexperienced OneWheel rider. 

The short answer is no. You could not put a board over the foot plates to make a OneWheel. You lean forward on the OneWheel to go forward. On an EUC you also lean forward to go. The difference is the foot placement. The toes point forward on an EUC and they point to the side on a OneWheel. If you switched stance to be in skateboard stance then you couldn't go forward. The only thing you could do is go left or right. You might be able to go diagonally forward or back but not true forward or backward because the EUC footplates were meant to be used with toes forward and not to the side.

If you're talking about standing EUC style on OneWheel then you're riding the SoloWheel Iota or the Sherpa (which is awesome, I want one, it looks like a cross between the onewheel and an EUC). However, you're not a OneWheel anymore, you're an EUC again.

Future Motion has done a great job with the OneWheel except for the starting and stopping. The detection of feet is sometimes very... Well, wonky at times.

Off-roading. OneWheels are for off-roading. Just watch the video below. These are v1 onewheels.

You seriously do not think placing a board around the EUC would not make it a One-wheel?

Let's be clear; a wooden/metal board going entirely around the EUC that basically extends the present boards around the EUC. Put another way; it'd be a 360 degree platform.

I mean, sure, mounting it you'd have to start off traditional EUC but then after you got going you'd have to make a little hop to get the feet in front and in back of the wheel.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1

Not confused. Proves my point. Look at the way the pedals are moved. They are moved into Onewheel skateboard stance. It's modified. You couldn't just throw a board over a EUC and have it be an Onewheel. You'd have to modify it like this guy did. EUC pedals are toes forward. Onewheel pedals are side.

If you took your EUC outside right now as is and pushed left or right what would happen? Best case scenario, you'd be turning in circles. Worse case scenario you'd fall over. EUC's do not balance left and right, that's our job.

Edited by outcast00096

21 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

You seriously do not think placing a board around the EUC would not make it a One-wheel?

Let's be clear; a wooden/metal board going entirely around the EUC that basically extends the present boards around the EUC. Put another way; it'd be a 360 degree platform.

There's no mention of it here. There's just a mention of throwing a board over an EUC without other modifications. Not a knock. I'm just not a mind reader.

33 minutes ago, outcast00096 said:

There's no mention of it here. There's just a mention of throwing a board over an EUC without other modifications. Not a knock. I'm just not a mind reader.

thinking about it, it would need less modifications as was done in the vid for going in conventional board direction as like you thought it were "throwing over" crosswise. I also wouldn't have thought the latter even for a second, but the OneWheel is by no means new to me or unique

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

personally i think the one wheel just looks ridiculous its a big slab og wood with a big ugly wheel in the middle

the gotway tesla looks slick carbon on the sides and all 

IMO

but if you like the onewheel then get one or keep riding it if you have one but im going for the tesla with a lot better range speed and is as easy to carry as luggage 

i will buy a tesla over a onewheel everyday

Edited by Shad0z

• 7 months later...

I had oneWheel for 6(six) years, now it is for sale.

Slowly the EUC got better, faster, stronger, and took over my life.

I am no longer interested in new oneWheel+, or XR models,

but I order MSX, after I hade so much fun with MSuper and other Gotways

You maybe think you look better on oneWheel, skater posture, hehe ;-)

but once you get on Gotway wheel, you do not care how you LOOK, You FEEL great!

Under my years with oneWheel, I had 5-6 unexpected motor cut outs,

some cause really dangerous situations, I have difficult to forget.

Main difference between electric skateboards like oneWheel and EUCs

that skateboards needs a remote, oneWheel needs continuous contact with pressure sensitive pad. 

You have much more control on EUCs. I had few IPS, Ninebots, Gotways and iNmotions in my stable.

But Gotways provide me with most adrenaline for sure. On daily basis. Endless fun.

I can not stop buying and trying new models, never disappointed yet.

Edited by iCafe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mmhmmm said:

Onewheel (sp.) launched successfully on Kickstarter in January 2014. 

@Mmhmmm - welcome to the forum - but I cannot see what point you are trying to make or are you trying to say OW being Kickstarter makes it better than the Tesla?

I.e. what exactly does your above statement have to do with this thread?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 10:12 AM, Keith said:

@Mmhmmm - welcome to the forum - but I cannot see what point you are trying to make or are you trying to say OW being Kickstarter makes it better than the Tesla?

I.e. what exactly does your above statement have to do with this thread?

"Onewheel (sp.) launched successfully on Kickstarter in January 2014." was (as of 2018) a response to "I had oneWheel for 6(six) years, now it is for sale."

• Like 2