Stilt-a-cycle...

stevedig

No pedal scraping on that thing!  :lol:  I wonder how it is to launch on that baby.  It looks like he mounted the pedal supports upside down and the shell on top of that.  I wonder what the maximum height possible would be on these things like say if one were to mount a ladder on top, would the wheel be able to balance with a rider 10 feet up?  :confused1:  

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wonder what the maximum height possible would be on these things like say if one were to mount a ladder on top, would the wheel be able to balance with a rider 10 feet up?  :confused1:  

That would depend on how fat the unicyclist is! 

I break out in a sweat just looking at that. The torque required to maintain balance is SIGNIFICANTLY higher so you'd better not lean forward aggressively. Maybe height will become the new one-up brag like speed. If you thought skidding to a stop from 30mph was bad try hitting the pavement square on from 10 feet.

26 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I break out in a sweat just looking at that. The torque required to maintain balance is SIGNIFICANTLY higher so you'd better not lean forward aggressively. Maybe height will become the new one-up brag like speed. If you thought skidding to a stop from 30mph was bad try hitting the pavement square on from 10 feet.

My understanding is giraffe unicycles are significantly easier to balance up to a certain point than a normal (non-chain) unicycle, because the torque is less and the top (the rider) moves slowly.

You can verify this by trying to balance a long stick versus a short stick, and you can verify the torque (but not the horsepower!) is much less by pushing down the side closer to the fulcrum point of a seesaw versus the outer side.

All this doesn't matter too much, since dropping from a height is going to hurt or possibly kill you.

9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

My understanding is giraffe unicycles are significantly easier to balance up to a certain point than a normal (non-chain) unicycle, because the torque is less and the top (the rider) moves slowly.

You can verify this by trying to balance a long stick versus a short stick, and you can verify the torque (but not the horsepower!) is much less by pushing down the side closer to the fulcrum point of a seesaw versus the outer side.

I see your point! Controlling speed might be even harder.  

I don't think you can equate a giraffe unicycle to an euc in this instance. the giraffe isn't dependent on balance for drive. it's direct drive, independent of lean which gives finer control. you can lean a little and pedal a lot or lean a little and pedal a little. with the euc you are driven based on your lean... 1 to 1.

I think the critical component is keeping the pedals below the forward/backward fulcrum point to give you control. as long as your weight rests below the center of change of angle you should be able to control the euc reasonably well as your basically a weight hanging on a string your nudging back and forth. once your shift the weight above the fulcrum i suspect it becomes harder to change your angle of attack. once forward it becomes harder to shift to back. the higher you go the harder it becomes because your moving further from the center line as you climb higher with the same forward lean. you teeter instead of swing.

Archived