Ninebot S1 melted wires - repair advice?

Michael Lutge

Hey guys, the other day I was doing some practicing in my place on my Ninebot S1 and I noticed a hot electronics smell. I had been doing a lot of quick back and forth movements practicing balance and riding backwards when I smelled something. I then started riding straight for a little ways and that's when the wheel just cut out on me and wouldn't turn back on. On inspection I saw that I had some melted wiring (see pic). This is my first wheel and as I was learning I took some hard spills where the case at times would get knocked a little loose. I just kind of pushed it back on. I'm wondering if I could have pinched some wiring between the housing and the plastic cover and maybe that's what led to the meltdown? Or could it have been a buildup of heat due to my quick back and forth practice?

Anyways, I'm not experienced dealing with wiring or repairs of this type. Can you guys offer any advice on the best way to get this repaired? What type of wiring, splicing, connectors would I need etc?

Thanks!

Ninebot melted wiring.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pendulums are one of the most power demanding tasks for an EUC, creating the greatest current. Doing so aggressively enough might create an overpower cutout, as the S1 is not the strongest of EUC motors.

Definitely contact your distributor. If you are handy, I would cut off that black wrap to investigate if anything underneath has melted.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Pendulums are one of the most power demanding tasks for an EUC, creating the greatest current. Doing so aggressively enough might create an overpower cutout, as the S1 is not the strongest of EUC motors.

Definitely contact your distributor. If you are handy, I would cut off that black wrap to investigate if anything underneath has melted.

Pendulums - thanks for defining that move for me! :) I'll take a look under the wrap and see what's up. Yes, I've been pushing this little wheel pretty hard lately I'm not surprised I hit it's limits. About to pull the trigger on a new wheel soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

You can call the repair center, and have them fix it for you.  They won't send you a mainboard anyway, although I think other places will sell you one, but then there's the melted wires and who knows what else might need replacing.  They are on the east coast, so might be closed for the day.

http://www.ninebotrepair.com/

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Michael Lutge said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Bummed that I might need a new board. If I shipped the wheel out to ninebot repair and it needed a new board would I be looking at around $300 for all of that? Wondering at what point I cut my loses and just get a bigger wheel.

@Rehab1 had the board replaced on a ninebot and said it was less than $200 including shipping, but with the further distance and wire damage, you may be right,  might be time for a bigger wheel.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1