Taking it with you? Travel with an EUC (or failure to do so and resulting separation anxiety)

da5id

After reading every post that came up in searches for plane, travel, flight, flying and also the TSA and airline websites I understand the restrictions on flying commercially with an EUC (and the justifications for them).

Without debating the evils of the regulations, since I am about to jump in and buy my first EUC and I travel a lot I am curious:

How you guys do manage travel? Do you:

1. Miss your wheel until you get home
  2. FedEx/UPS/USPS your wheel or batteries
  3. Go rogue and try and fly with your gear
  4. Rent a wheel (not sure there are many opportunities for this where I travel)
  5. Drive everywhere so you don't have to deal with the regulations
  6. Ride your wheel where you are going?
  7. Other?

I have a few friends who ride EUCs around Denver Colorado and the consensus is that it is no fun at all being separated from your wheel once you get used (addicted?) to it.

P.S. I also looked at the removable battery ones but I don't think I would be happy with the range/speed. 

Thanks!

This concerns me a lot, and I'll probably FedEx the damned thing. I've been walking recently to lose weight, and I hate how long it takes me to get somewhere.

Truly, only the peasants walk these days, it's like punishment when one has perfectly good wheels available.

On 11/17/2017 at 4:43 PM, LanghamP said:

This concerns me a lot, and I'll probably FedEx the damned thing. I've been walking recently to lose weight, and I hate how long it takes me to get somewhere.

Truly, only the peasants walk these days, it's like punishment when one has perfectly good wheels available.

lol Sprinting is a much better exercise for losing weight. Try Sprint-8, that's how I get my cardio.

EUC battery vending machines should be a thing. Imagine arriving at your destination with your battery-less EUC and getting a fully charged battery from the Airport's EUC vending machine. One can only dream.

What are the actual restrictions on electric vehicles on planes? I've seen several of Casey Neistat's YouTube videos where he seems to take his Boosted Board everywhere he goes by plane. Is he just getting away with it because it looks like a regular skateboard and not an EV? Or is it a battery size thing?

15 hours ago, Michael Lutge said:

What are the actual restrictions on electric vehicles on planes? I've seen several of Casey Neistat's YouTube videos where he seems to take his Boosted Board everywhere he goes by plane. Is he just getting away with it because it looks like a regular skateboard and not an EV? Or is it a battery size thing?

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Basically <100 watt hours is okay, between 100-160 is up to the airline and over is prohibited. It is unclear since they mention these regulations are for uninstalled batteries but the size seems to apply to all. Some people get away with sneaking a wheel on but it is risky. 

There are also a few other threads about airline travel: 

Archived