rambron

Ninebot Mini Pro reverse is counterintuitive

Hello, 

I just got a Mini Pro and am wondering if anyone else thinks that the reverse steering is opposite of what it should be. Does anyone know a way to switch it?

When going forward, you lean into turns and it turns as you would expect; just like a skateboard. Lean left, go left. But going backwards, leaning the same direction causes it to turn the opposite direction. Lean left, go right. Does mine have an issue or is it designed like that?

Maybe I'm too used to skateboarding, but whatever way you lean to turn the wheels, should be the same in either direction. I keep getting knocked off when I maneuver quickly in reverse and forget to lean opposite of what feels natural.

3 hours ago, rambron said:

Hello, 

I just got a Mini Pro and am wondering if anyone else thinks that the reverse steering is opposite of what it should be. Does anyone know a way to switch it?

This has been discussed many times before, see the thread below for more information.

Bottom line is that it has to work that way as you cannot suddenly go from a left turn changing into a right turn. For example if you are turning on the spot and you add the tiniest bit of reverse it would suddenly swing the other way. 

Other bottom line is why would you want to go in reverse? The mini will turn on the spot so it shouldn’t need to - oh and the Segway also does the same thing as the mini.

I know I'm reanimating an old thread. The last reply reverts to an even older thread.

But still, I understand the concern about pivoting on the spot. Nevertheless, I have been riding the Mini Pro for a few days now and every time I go in reverse and try to turn, the counterintuitive direction it goes is the most dangerous part of riding the Mini Pro. Everything else is easily mastered with some exercise, but going backwards and turning is the best way to get you of your Mini Pro uncontrolled.

For anyone suggesting to just go forward and not driving backwards: 
1/ I you don't need to go backwards, why does it matter to you?
2/ Some do need to go backwards and I'm sure those people would really like the OPTION to reverse the steering direction when going backwards.

In my case, I use the Mini Pro to get very smooth gimbal shots. I would be so nice to drive backwards while someone is following and keeping the camera (on a gimbal) in front of me.
For the moment, this is just to dangerous, only because the steering is counterintuitive.

Now, does anyone has an email address who to contact to ask Ninebot if they please would consider to update the firmware for this?

I don't have such an address, but the chances of Ninebot doing a firmware update for this after several years must be just about zero.  As far as I am aware, they have stopped doing updates at all long ago, so putting resources into this would not be trivial.  And they'd have to factor in whether the risk of someone setting such an option wrong and having an accident is worthwhile, compared with keeping it the way it has always been, which hasn't been enough of a risk as to cause them (as a company) any sleepless nights.