My Tesla Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just take a fork and scratch that baby up. Then you'll be riding more :P

Regarding the music. There are vast numbers of artists (the list of songs is available to YouTube creators) that have approved the use of their work in YouTube videos. However, you cannot monetize the video and any ads that YouTube places on the video will now generate revenue to the artist. So every time you watch this video Frank's estates gets a few nickels :) and I get nada :( But I don't mind because I think it makes for a cooler video?

I think you have to have monetization enabled on your YouTube channel to do this, which is a long process that most people who only post their pet videos will not do.

Your videos have ads at the beginning of them lately.  Does that happen automatically after a certain number of views?  I am starting to see videos with short ads placed in the middle also.  Not yours, just some others.

Edited by steve454
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

My new youtube.com/electricunicycles channel semi-recently was authorized for monitization. Nobody knows how YouTube decides to place ads and where. It's a mystery.

FYI, I'm not making enough to quit my day job. As an example, this channel is currently producing about $6 a month :w00t2:  But if it follows the trend-line on my Woodworking channel it may get above $100 a month in a year or two. I'd be happy if I could buy one new EUC a year from YouTube profits. 

Good for you:thumbup:  I suspect that the quality of the videos have a lot to do with it,  yours are well made.  I never see ads on those vertical shaky videos.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So every time you watch this video Frank's estate gets a few nickels :) and I get nada :( But I don't mind because I think it makes for a cooler video?

i can't be the only one can I ... :confused1:

am i the only person who mutes the audio tracks? 

unless someone is speaking, something i am interested in, i generally kill any kind of bg music right off. some dialog tracks get muted (cough).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stevedig said:

i can't be the only one can I ... :confused1:

am i the only person who mutes the audio tracks? 

unless someone is speaking, something i am interested in, i generally kill any kind of bg music right off. some dialog tracks get muted (cough).

I'm sure that you are not the only one. But I think it's commonly accepted that music arouses the soul and has the potential of enhancing all experiences. Remove music from a thriller movie and it becomes much less of a thriller, as one simple example.

So although I'm sure you are not alone I think you are atypical in this regards.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

So, may I suggest to resource to (and practice) some older rather unorthodox ways to solve this music copyright issue. The techniques are a little challenging but in time and with some practice it will bring our EUC skills to a new level. Here is what I mean: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ein-Mann-Orchester

The desert is a good place to practice ... until mastery brings us into the city centers. And by adding a little monkey with a mug running along any practitioner might have the money for his new Z10 within days. ?

:laughbounce2:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So although I'm sure you are not alone I think you are atypical in this regards.

A film generally tells a story and the background music will enhance it. Soft music supports the love story, thrash rock or rap supports the action scene...

a guy riding and euc, or flying a quad, or reviewing his new portable generator, or whatever thing the author is doing isn't telling a story, they are demonstrating a thing. i find the music distracting in these circumstances. besides, i prefer to set my own mood. i'm better at it generally with regard to my psyche. no one knows it better... :) 

add the music if you like it. the jazz made me smile. i listened for a minute before i turned it down. i turn it down because it distracts me from what i came to do, which is make an assessment of what is being demonstrated. not because i don't like music, or jazz or blues or ... 

ok, fine. i'm weird.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevedig said:

A film generally tells a story and the background music will enhance it. Soft music supports the love story, thrash rock or rap supports the action scene...

a guy riding and euc, or flying a quad, or reviewing his new portable generator, or whatever thing the author is doing isn't telling a story, they are demonstrating a thing. i find the music distracting in these circumstances. besides, i prefer to set my own mood. i'm better at it generally with regard to my psyche. no one knows it better... :) 

add the music if you like it. the jazz made me smile. i listened for a minute before i turned it down. i turn it down because it distracts me from what i came to do, which is make an assessment of what is being demonstrated. not because i don't like music, or jazz or blues or ... 

ok, fine. i'm weird.

Yes, I'll add the music. You can't please everyone and I don't try to. The bottom line is that I make these videos for my own entertainment. If anyone else likes them, that's gravy.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Yes, I'll add the music. You can't please everyone and I don't try to.

whoa... easy killer. this is what's bad about boards, or me and boards. perhaps my words are imprecise.

this isn't a criticism. by all means, add music if it makes you happy. i'm saying it's not so important it should cost you something. 

sorry. i like your vids. didn't mean to imply otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevedig said:

ok, fine. i'm weird.

It all belongs to you!

And there is nothing weird about it. What you say makes perfect sense. For some it's fun to put some music underneath their adventures or instruction. Some like it. Some love it. We have our MUTE buttons, do we nod ... The rest is silence!

52 minutes ago, stevedig said:

whoa... easy killer. this is what's bad about boards, or me and boards. perhaps my words are imprecise.

this isn't a criticism. by all means, add music if it makes you happy. i'm saying it's not so important it should cost you something. 

sorry. i like your vids. didn't mean to imply otherwise.

No worries - I should have added a smiley face :)

I was just expanding upon why I added music or make the videos. You should see some of the negative comments that I get on Facebook.

The bottom line is that we should all accomplish things in life that make us happy or content and not worry whether other people like or dislike our work. Once you start catering to others likes or dislikes you become inauthentic and I think it shows in the work that you do.

All is good :thumbup:

56 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

It all belongs to you!

And there is nothing weird about it. What you say makes perfect sense. For some it's fun to put some music underneath their adventures or instruction. Some like it. Some love it. We have our MUTE buttons, do we nod ... The rest is silence!

:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Just take a fork and scratch that baby up. Then you'll be riding more :P

Regarding the music. There are vast numbers of artists (the list of songs is available to YouTube creators) that have approved the use of their work in YouTube videos. However, you cannot monetize the video and any ads that YouTube places on the video will now generate revenue to the artist. So every time you watch this video Frank's estate gets a few nickels :) and I get nada :( But I don't mind because I think it makes for a cooler video?

I think you have to have monetization enabled on your YouTube channel to do this, which is a long process that most people who only post their pet videos will not do.

Haters gonna hate. Whatever music you put on will irritate someone, somewhere, for no real reason at all.

Now your white sneakers, on the other hand, I'm gonna hate with every simpering second of every video you make as it is a terrible affront to humanity. Like the bombing of Hamburg. Maybe worse.

I'm slowly moving away from YouTube because it continues to use robots to censor content of the most innocuous sort. Or, rather, it demoneterizes videos while still advertising and occasionally bans channels.

I foresee a future where YouTube isn't really anything else other than some advertisement for tech goods, and that's about it. You know you're doing something right when you're making lots of money without paying for content, and piss off both the right and the left.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Part of me regrets buying the Tesla as my first wheel because it is so pretty unscathed, and I have dinged it up really badly in my learning.  That being said, I don't really have extra money lying around just for a learner wheel, and I bet the wheel will get dinged up regardless over time.  

Thanks again for posting these videos.  Without them I honestly would just give up on learning how to ride the thing, but seeing what it's possible of doing makes me keep going.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I notice at 55 sec and about 2:27 your LEDs go red/  Power surge?  at 55 you hit a small hillock.  At 2:27 you drop down a little shelf.

At 1:25 some nice sideways sliding action in the loose rock.  Reminds me of the Mount Montgo trail near Denia Spain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I notice at 55 sec and about 2:27 your LEDs go red/  Power surge?  at 55 you hit a small hillock.  At 2:27 you drop down a little shelf.

At 1:25 some nice sideways sliding action in the loose rock.  Reminds me of the Mount Montgo trail near Denia Spain.

When you brake with the Tesla, all the Ring LEDs turn red. As trail riding goes this is mild. I'm still deciding whether I want to get rough with the Tesla, but I think that I do :D

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fortaye said:

Part of me regrets buying the Tesla as my first wheel because it is so pretty unscathed, and I have dinged it up really badly in my learning.  That being said, I don't really have extra money lying around just for a learner wheel, and I bet the wheel will get dinged up regardless over time.  

Thanks again for posting these videos.  Without them I honestly would just give up on learning how to ride the thing, but seeing what it's possible of doing makes me keep going.

My first wheel was the ACM. Sure, it got scratched up, but I soon realized that no matter how good you are, if you ride the wheel, eventually you'll make some mistake and drop it. This is an active sport and they get scratched up.

The main thing is that you get outside and have fun exploring the world with your EUC.

Thanks btw. I'm glad you enjoy my videos :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

@LanghamP's constant browbeating about my white shoes finally got to me and I switched to black :)

After all that talk on the video thread, about music and pleasing yourself, and not worrying about what others think, blah, blah, blah,  @LanghamP yanks your chain (or maybe he was serious) and you cave, like a virgin at an orgy. :facepalm:Tisk, Tisk.  Go get yourself some new, even whiter shoes and wear them with pride.  Besides, if your heat stroke issues are to be believed, white shoes will keep your feet cooler.  Who wants overheated feet?:confused1:

"No white shoes after Labor day" doesn't apply in sunny So. Cal.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Smoother said:

After all that talk on the video thread, about music and pleasing yourself, and not worrying about what others think, blah, blah, blah,  @LanghamP yanks your chain (or maybe he was serious) and you cave, like a virgin at an orgy. :facepalm:Tisk, Tisk.  Go get yourself some new, even whiter shoes and wear them with pride.  Besides, if your heat stroke issues are to be believed, white shoes will keep your feet cooler.  Who wants overheated feet?:confused1:

"No white shoes after Labor day" doesn't apply in sunny So. Cal.

:laughbounce2:

• Upvote 1

On 11/26/2017 at 2:41 PM, Marty Backe said:

My new youtube.com/electricunicycles channel semi-recently was authorized for monitization. Nobody knows how YouTube decides to place ads and where. It's a mystery.

FYI, I'm not making enough to quit my day job. As an example, this channel is currently producing about $6 a month :w00t2:  But if it follows the trend-line on my Woodworking channel it may get above $100 a month in a year or two. I'd be happy if I could buy one new EUC a year from YouTube profits. 

Love your videos Marty! Especially the jazz. I hope you make than $100 each month so we can see more from you. ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2