Jump to content

Newbie! Which one? Inmotion V3 or Swagtron?


Recommended Posts

Good afternoon all!

Brand spanking new to Unicycles and E-Unicycles to begin with, I am on the fence after researching and mostly looking at specs and safety.

 

I will be traveling a few miles to a Bus Stop to and from my home as I commute to work, I am looking at a two wheel setup.

 

I am leaning toward the Inmotion V3 Pro or the Swagtron 

 

Any ideas which would be a better fit for my needs and easier to learn with?


Im kinda concerned ill fall in LOVE and have to upgrade to a more expensive wheel soon! I plan also to use this as transportation going around the city I live in, 5 - 7 mile trips round way.

 

Thank you all!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although the 2 wheeled devices are easier to learn how to ride, one wheeled transport is more versatile and able to traverse a wider range of obstacles.  For short distances and a compact wheel, consider the IPS i5 or the Gotway Mten3.  

Maybe if you can tell us your weight, riding conditions (steep hills, dirt trails, etc), and expectations of the wheel it will help narrow things down.

For a more all rounder wheel, consider the KS14S or KS16S.  Inmotion V5F or V8.  Gotway Tesla.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot know what kind of wheel you should get until you've gotten your first wheel. Because our needs vary, some or most of us end up getting two or more wheels (which defeats the purpose of cheap and light transportation).

If you know you're going to do mild commuting and a little bit of hot dogging, then buy the 840 KS14s. It'll last years as your only wheel. If you know your commute is a bit longer, get the KS16s or the Gotway Tesla. 

Range is one of those odd things that isn't important until it is. That is, you treat the wheel like it is infinitly refillable with free fuel (it cost like what 1-3 bucks to fill?), you pay a mild performance penalty below 40%, but then when you run out of "fuel" it's pure misery getting your wheel out to the nearest outlet although if you have a trolley it is easier.

And I think this is refilling thing is one of the most overlooked aspects of wheels. Unlike all other transportation out there except maybe the boosted boards, getting out and about with your wheel is the easiest thing in the world. That is, you know you can easily lug the wheel to the outside, you don't have to spend time locking it up, the cost of a few miles jaunt is so low as to be unnoticeable, you will not expend energy, and there is no better way to meet people if you're into that sort of thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, im overwhelmed at the responses and how supportive this community is!

Thank you everyone!

 

Soooo, im 5ft9 and about 140 or so...I was leaning toward a two-wheel unicycle as I live in one of the worst rated driver cities in the nation, yes the nation!! I also am on a tight budget so maybe pushing $700 MAX!!  

I was leaning toward the V3 pro because of the two wheels (for stability) and the ease of use, I also do not plan on riding these wheels fast as I will be dodging cars, dogs and sidewalk imperfections all the time!

 

Reading the responses however has got me more confused now than ever! Maybe leaning toward one of the 14inch now maybe the Ips or the Kingsong 14B or the IPS Turbo?

 

Further thoughts anyone?

I will mostly be doing a quick ride to the bus stop to and from for work as well as some light commuting during the weekends....also safety is a big deal for me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Wow, im overwhelmed at the responses and how supportive this community is!

Thank you everyone!

 

Soooo, im 5ft9 and about 140 or so...I was leaning toward a two-wheel unicycle as I live in one of the worst rated driver cities in the nation, yes the nation!! I also am on a tight budget so maybe pushing $700 MAX!!  

I was leaning toward the V3 pro because of the two wheels (for stability) and the ease of use, I also do not plan on riding these wheels fast as I will be dodging cars, dogs and sidewalk imperfections all the time!

 

Reading the responses however has got me more confused now than ever! Maybe leaning toward one of the 14inch now maybe the Ips or the Kingsong 14B or the IPS Turbo?

 

Further thoughts anyone?

I will mostly be doing a quick ride to the bus stop to and from for work as well as some light commuting during the weekends....also safety is a big deal for me!

Your budget makes this tough. The KS14D sounds like a perfect wheel for you, but it slightly breaks your ceiling.

If you can find a used KS14C (rates for a good one are ~$500) that would be a keeper. Lots of power, reliable, super maneuverable, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

I'm doing 5.2 miles daily for commuting and my Inmotion V3 Pro was too slow. It would take me about 17 mins to get 2.1 miles to the train station vs my KS16S takes me around 8 mins. Within 3 days I was hitting the 12mph limiter constantly on the V3 , within 2 weeks i knew I had to upgrade...Now, I'm much happier. Also the battery is quite small on the V3 Pro.

The V3 Pro is a very nice machine, so it really depends on you.

I found the tire to be a bit too small for me, didn't want to have to worry about 2 tires, vs 1 for maintenance, and the speed and range of upgrade units is MUCH better. I can do more than 20 miles a charge now at 2x the speed.

And, it IS much like a motorcycle, so safety considerations are important. Look out for cars/people and wear safety gear.

Thank you! May I ask how long you've been riding Unicycles or E-Wheels? I bought a unicycle years ago and gave it up after just a few days...it was soo frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Your budget makes this tough. The KS14D sounds like a perfect wheel for you, but it slightly breaks your ceiling.

If you can find a used KS14C (rates for a good one are ~$500) that would be a keeper. Lots of power, reliable, super maneuverable, etc. 

Thank you! thoughts on the KS14B or the IPS Turbo or IPS I5?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

Thank you! thoughts on the KS14B or the IPS Turbo or IPS I5?

The KS14B has a much weaker motor than the KS14C. I can't speak to those other wheels.

I believe the biggest factor in a safe wheel is the strength of the motor and the battery capacity. Strong wheels provide such a sense of security, knowing that the wheel will never be over powered by the environment (ruts, rocks, ledges, dips, curbs, etc.).

People will often start out by purchasing a cheaper wheel and then soon discover that they love the experience and the slow, weak wheel is frustrating. So then they buy the one that they should of. But of course now the whole experience has gotten more expensive because of the original purchase.

I can tell you that given the choices I would certainly buy the I5 or 14B before buying the V3.

I'm sorry, I'm probably just making your decision harder :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love this forum: guy asks to pick between 2 model wheels, and everyone chimes in saying get something else. :lol:

 

@aalenkin FYI you're not gonna find too much 2-wheeled EUC owner experience on here, as you can probably tell.

Can't chime in on V3 Pro vs Swagtron, but keep in mind that there is an upcoming, double-wheeled iPS S5 (release date TBA) with probably superior stats to the wheels you mention here (supposedly double-motored as well, which no current 2-wheel EUC is apparently, according to one FB commenter).

 

28 minutes ago, aalenkin said:

I was leaning toward the V3 pro because of the two wheels (for stability) and the ease of use, I also do not plan on riding these wheels fast as I will be dodging cars, dogs and sidewalk imperfections all the time!

This is a big reason why one purchases a faster wheel: to have the burst speed to be able to dodge cars, etc. Slower ones cannot get out of their own way in these scenarios.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

dodging anything is going to be a lot harder on a 2 wheeled euc. they are wonderfully stable in a straight line but a lot of work to turn. if your in an obstacle strewn environment, maneuverability should be a consideration. a single wheel will be much better here.

the bumpier your path the larger diameter wheel you want to consider as well. the bigger the wheel the more stable the ride and the more forgiving the wheel is when rolling over cracks, sticks, small rocks, ruts, ledges and other bumps in the road. 

oh, and everyone else is right. the first wheel you buy you eventually find limiting unless you go buy up scale to start with. if you splurged on a 14S you would eventually want the 16S or Tesla. it doesn't matter what you start with... you always want more; more range, less bouncing, more speed... it's a disease.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The KS14B has a much weaker motor than the KS14C. I can't speak to those other wheels.

I believe the biggest factor in a safe wheel is the strength of the motor and the battery capacity. Strong wheels provide such a sense of security, knowing that the wheel will never be over powered by the environment (ruts, rocks, ledges, dips, curbs, etc.).

People will often start out by purchasing a cheaper wheel and then soon discover that they love the experience and the slow, weak wheel is frustrating. So then they buy the one that they should of. But of course now the whole experience has gotten more expensive because of the original purchase.

I can tell you that given the choices I would certainly buy the I5 or 14B before buying the V3.

I'm sorry, I'm probably just making your decision harder :(

Thank you, there is a local Kingsong 16inch for sale on craigslist for about $900...........now thinking about that :(  

 

Hmmmmmm so maybe I should consider growing into the ecycle and other options, perhaps getting past the learning curve is a good thing! I am just super timid when it comes to things of this nature, hence thinking a two wheel ecycle would be the best thing for my commute.  But I do understand exactly what everyone is talking about.

 

So thinking of a Kingsong 14 or 16 possibly, something for my hard earned dollars....I also reached out to e-wheels to inquire about any black friday deals, they told me they do have some things lined up so fingers crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Gotta love this forum: guy asks to pick between 2 model wheels, and everyone chimes in saying get something else. :lol:

 

@aalenkin FYI you're not gonna find too much 2-wheeled EUC owner experience on here, as you can probably tell.

Can't chime in on V3 Pro vs Swagtron, but keep in mind that there is an upcoming, double-wheeled iPS S5 (release date TBA) with probably superior stats to the wheels you mention here (supposedly double-motored as well, which no current 2-wheel EUC is apparently, according to one FB commenter).

 

This is a big reason why one purchases a faster wheel: to have the burst speed to be able to dodge cars, etc. Slower ones cannot get out of their own way in these scenarios.

 

I kind of got the idea that IPS is working on safety with the double wheel.  Two motors, if one fails, the other takes over.  Of course, the motor rarely fails, but maybe they are putting two boards in every wheel?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I kind of got the idea that IPS is working on safety with the double wheel.  Two motors, if one fails, the other takes over.  Of course, the motor rarely fails, but maybe they are putting two boards in every wheel?

i imagine this would lead to assorted arguments between the two boards about a variety of facts necessary to keep the wheel in motion. you would have to invent a way for the two to communicate and negotiate/agree actions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 6:52 PM, aalenkin said:

Good afternoon all!

Brand spanking new to Unicycles and E-Unicycles to begin with, I am on the fence after researching and mostly looking at specs and safety.

 

I will be traveling a few miles to a Bus Stop to and from my home as I commute to work, I am looking at a two wheel setup.

 

I am leaning toward the Inmotion V3 Pro or the Swagtron 

 

Any ideas which would be a better fit for my needs and easier to learn with?


Im kinda concerned ill fall in LOVE and have to upgrade to a more expensive wheel soon! I plan also to use this as transportation going around the city I live in, 5 - 7 mile trips round way.

 

Thank you all!

Get the Swagtron!  It's the same but less expensive.  However, don't complain if it doesn't work like you thought it should.

Sorry, just kidding.

Get the real thing from a reputable dealer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I kind of got the idea that IPS is working on safety with the double wheel.  Two motors, if one fails, the other takes over.  Of course, the motor rarely fails, but maybe they are putting two boards in every wheel?

Does two wheels equal two motors? I assumed that there was a single motor attached to wheels :confused1:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, aalenkin said:

I was leaning toward the V3 pro because of the two wheels (for stability) and the ease of use, I also do not plan on riding these wheels fast as I will be dodging cars, dogs and sidewalk imperfections all the time!

2 wheels make it hard to dodge anything, as you're either always going in a straight line like a tank (more or less whether you like it or not), or put some weight on one foot until suddenly the machine tips over and you're balancing on one of the wheels, and then you do the curve. This is the opposite of doing smooth curves and smoothly varying the radius as you go. It's more on-off.

I'd prefer any one-wheeled EUC to maneuver, probably even the 22 inch Monster is easier than a 2-wheeled device in this respect. (You'll note I don't call the two-wheelers 'EUCs' because in my opinion, they're missing the main thing that makes EUCs attractive - the smooth, mind-controlly intuitive way you fly over the ground and just go where you 'think' to go.)

14 hours ago, aalenkin said:

I also am on a tight budget so maybe pushing $700 MAX!!

Yep, these things are way too expensive for a buy if you are new to the concept and not yet addicted.

The 14D is $800 and is lightyears ahead of the alternatives you mention.

If you can't spend that much, any EUC (even two-wheeled) will be great and you'll love it (see the V3 review video above). So before you get nothing, get ANYTHING.

But if you maybe can come up with the 14D money, hundreds of dollars (anything 300+ is a ton of money in my book) spent on a much lesser wheel are a bit waste of money, price vs. what-you-get ratio wise (even the V3pro starts at 500 new, and 400+ for the 14B or IPS a130... lots of money).

Sincerely hope the Black Friday thing will work out for you.

Also, not plannable, but a good used EUC in California can't be that rare, maybe you're lucky. If that used V3 mentioned in this thread works out for you, also a great option if the price is low.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aalenkin said:

I've been looking at the ips light as a feather and seems small enough that if I do take a tumble I probably won't be going that fast on it..

Here's a guy who got a i5 as a first wheel. You can watch live how it goes:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, aalenkin said:

Thank you! May I ask how long you've been riding Unicycles or E-Wheels? I bought a unicycle years ago and gave it up after just a few days...it was soo frustrating.

I've never tried a regular unicycle. The higher center of gravity does not look appealing to me! EUC's are the way to go! :)

I've kind of had a progressing into different electric vehicles, so I can vouch for the great design these EUC's have. As a child many many years ago, I started riding mopeds and motorcycles. I had 7 motorcycles (until I sold my last on this month!). About 4 years ago I started playing with electric scooters, I tried the hoverboard, and realized wheel base is very important (as well as speed, battery life and portability). The EUC's have all 4 in one package.

In May I got the V3 Pro, which I quickly realized was too small and slow. On the plus side, it is more stable for walking my dog and a good trainer! But still...too slow for me. I ended up selling mine at a great discount with about 200 miles on it.With a speed limit of 12 mph, you actually average around 9 or 10, with the cut off, which is really just slightly faster than walking when you are doing lots of stops and starts. I told myself when I got it that speed was not important, but turns out it really is (the mc rider in me started taking over!).

Around late July or August, I got the KS16S, which actually had a controller board problem, but the local dealer resolved it and lent me his for a couple weeks. I gotta say this KS16S is WELL worth it. A 16" wheel is very nice and the battery life is much greater.

I would say my mc experience has helped, as this is a motorized vehicle and you do have to be careful, but it is a lot of fun. There are lots of options out there, so good luck.

 

Also, you definitely CAN get a 16" EUC for less than $600. My neighbor got his ninebot for around that, new from a dealer.

Edited by Circuitmage
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...