Seeing behind you...

Ive judt ordered my Tesla and am stoked for it.  I'm getting ready for it by learning how to mount dismount, stop, turn, etc.  But I'm wondering how someone would see behind them.   As a cyclist I would just turn my head and look.  But on a unicycle then I'd be turning my unicycle. Right?  I'm not sure if one would then need a rear view helmet mirror to see behind you  those things aren't great at night either which I will be doing since I come home from classes at night. 

Is this an issue? How do you handle this?

10 minutes ago, Fortaye said:

Ive judt ordered my Tesla and am stoked for it.  I'm getting ready for it by learning how to mount dismount, stop, turn, etc.  But I'm wondering how someone would see behind them.   As a cyclist I would just turn my head and look.  But on a unicycle then I'd be turning my unicycle. Right?  I'm not sure if one would then need a rear view helmet mirror to see behind you  those things aren't great at night either which I will be doing since I come home from classes at night. 

Hmmh, just turn you head around?! ;-)

But serious: You just should not move your hips while doing that, and everything is fine!

But i would not call that a „beginner move“...so first try to get to normal driving, thats hard ebough in the beginning!

On 11/15/2017 at 1:54 PM, Fortaye said:

I use a bike helmet with the Rear view mirror. I glued mine on and it's still held strong since June.

Now when I wear my motorcycle helmet, I use the wrist mounted mirror. I velcro this over my Flexmeters.

Good to see if a bike is trying to pass me from behind when I'm on trail.

This is an interesting question because there's a lot going on when you turn your head.

If you turn your head left without doing anything else then the EUC rotates to the right. When that happens the wheel moves to the right under you and then you start tipping over to your left, and hence you start describing an arc to you left.

If you want to look behind you without turning then simply tip your head forward and to the left so your chin nearly touches your left collarbone. While some weight results in the wheel tipping left, the lack of torque results in the wheel going mostly straight. Because you can rotate your head further when your head is at a forward cant, you get to see more behind you.

If this is too bothersome then simply taken your right hand, raise it, then point/swing it right while moving your head, as these two torques cancel each other out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived