KS14C versus KS14S/KS16S

DaveThomasPilot

Ok, I'm getting the urge to get a new wheel.  Maybe this belongs in the King Song section, since I've already decided its either going to be a KS14s or KS16s.

My problem (?) is that I really like my KS14C and I don't have any issues with it. 

I'm pretty heavy at 95 kilos (but lighter than I used to be!), but the KS14c hasn't had a problem with my weight.  I'm now quite comfortable riding it and only worry about an electronics failure causing a crash.  

It goes up any hill I've encountered faster than I want to go without any issues like overheating. But, I do worry about the axle bending at some point.

Range (840 watt-hour battery) is more than I ever need for a ride.  I'm only good for about two hours and that gets me over 20 miles.

Also, I usually ride with my wife who rides on a Segway mini-pro.  She is speed limited to 10 mph and range limited to 15-20 miles.  Even she now thinks 10 mph is too slow, so I'm working on her to learn to ride the 14c.  :)

So, I don't really have a reason to complain about the 14C performance or range,  but I do really like the looks of the newer wheels like the 16s and 14s.  Also, the electronics packaging looks much better in the newer wheels.

Size and weight are very important to me, since I carry the wheel with me on my private airplane.   I wish I could see if the 16s fits behind the pilot or co-pilot seat as nicely as the 14c does.  If not, it's a no-brainer for me--my next wheel would have to be a 14s!

I've read a 16 inch wheel cruises much nicer.  I also wish there was a way I could try out a 16s to see if it's significantly different (for me) than a 14" wheel.  I'm used to be able to go very slow even slower a pedestrian pace.   This is sometimes useful when riding on a sidewalk and coming up behind a cluster of pedestrians.  Not sure if that would be as easy on a 16 inch wheel?

So, opinions

1) is it really "worth" having both a 16" and a 14" wheel?  

2) Is the 14s ride significantly different than a 14c?

3)  Jason, will you take a 14c trade? :lol:

Thanks!

If you're fine with a 14" wheel, I'd say stick with that as it is compact, versatile, nimble, and might be all that you need.  16" wheels can go at crawl speeds as well - it's not a problem.  It probably depends a lot on preference as I prefer 16" wheels.  I haven't tried the KS 14's so I can't tell whether they would be fine, but the 16" just seems to work well for me in general.  The new KS14 wheels look to be good choices overall.  The KS16 will likely take up a bit more space and will be slightly heavier.  You probably can't go wrong with either, but from how you described your current wheel, there might not be a huge need to change wheel size.

The trolley handle on the KS14c makes it notably bigger than the KS16s, with edges that catch on things. Both the newer wheels are smooth, and so handle smaller than the KS14c.

If you don't need speed then I'd go with the KS14s because it's so compact, but the KS16s isn't much bigger. Either one is surprisingly small when laid on the floor of a vehicle. They look like clubbed baby seals.

23 hours ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Ok, I'm getting the urge to get a new wheel.  Maybe this belongs in the King Song section, since I've already decided its either going to be a KS14s or KS16s.

My problem (?) is that I really like my KS14C and I don't have any issues with it. 

I'm pretty heavy at 95 kilos (but lighter than I used to be!), but the KS14c hasn't had a problem with my weight.  I'm now quite comfortable riding it and only worry about an electronics failure causing a crash.  

It goes up any hill I've encountered faster than I want to go without any issues like overheating. But, I do worry about the axle bending at some point.

Range (840 watt-hour battery) is more than I ever need for a ride.  I'm only good for about two hours and that gets me over 20 miles.

Also, I usually ride with my wife who rides on a Segway mini-pro.  She is speed limited to 10 mph and range limited to 15-20 miles.  Even she now thinks 10 mph is too slow, so I'm working on her to learn to ride the 14c.  :)

So, I don't really have a reason to complain about the 14C performance or range,  but I do really like the looks of the newer wheels like the 16s and 14s.  Also, the electronics packaging looks much better in the newer wheels.

Size and weight are very important to me, since I carry the wheel with me on my private airplane.   I wish I could see if the 16s fits behind the pilot or co-pilot seat as nicely as the 14c does.  If not, it's a no-brainer for me--my next wheel would have to be a 14s!

I've read a 16 inch wheel cruises much nicer.  I also wish there was a way I could try out a 16s to see if it's significantly different (for me) than a 14" wheel.  I'm used to be able to go very slow even slower a pedestrian pace.   This is sometimes useful when riding on a sidewalk and coming up behind a cluster of pedestrians.  Not sure if that would be as easy on a 16 inch wheel?

So, opinions

1) is it really "worth" having both a 16" and a 14" wheel?  

2) Is the 14s ride significantly different than a 14c?

3)  Jason, will you take a 14c trade? :lol:

Thanks!

I had a KS14C and very recently upgraded to the KS14S. I've probably put >150 miles on it so far. I love 14S. It's a huge upgrade over the 14C. I think it has a smoother ride, the trolley handle is fantastic, the light show is fun, better headlight options and control, better looks. Really, the 14S is a no-brainer option. Oh, and the pedals are more comfortable than the 14C pedals.

And I'm getting more range from the 14S than I did from the 14C, both having the same battery. My riding weight is 170 pounds and my range test gave me 40 miles. I got maybe 35 miles on the 14C.

Clearly the KS16S will provide a more comfortable ride, but given your constraints I would stick with the 14S. It will feel like a different wheel than your 14C plus all of the upgrades.

The 14C is a classic, so you should have no problems selling it if you want.

Thanks for the replies.  I was beginning to think I offended some how.

Langhamp--I hadn't really thought about the extra space the add on trolley takes up on the 14C, but your absolutely right!

Marty Backe--I was hoping you'd respond, since I noticed that you had the 14s and really liked it.  I didn't know you also have owned a 14C so know how it rides relative to the 14s.  So, you have first hand experience.

Clearly the KS16S will provide a more comfortable ride,

Can you elaborate on this?  What makes it more comfortable?  And what makes the 14s rider "smoother".  I've only ridden the 14C, so its hard for me to understand what makes some wheels ride better than others.

Bigger pedals for the feet?  That's my only real issue comfort wise.  It's much, much, better than it used to be, but my feet still do get sore after a few miles.  It's much more of a limitation for me than battery size.

Or maybe some sort of wobble on the 14" wheel?  I don't really have a problem with that anymore.  

So, maybe I'll put the 14C up for sale.  Problem is, it just doesn't seem liker enough wheels change hands to determine a fair market price.  

just came here to say...WOW!

Yes, it's pretty nice having and  flying a private aircraft in the US.   Buying used cars instead of new for a couple of decades pays for plane.   The gas does get expensive though...

EUC's are perfect carry along transportation.  We used to have folding bicycles, but the wheels are much more compact and those bikes were horrible to ride with their tiny wheels.  Every time we land at an FBO and pull out the PTDs to get off the tarmac I get lots of comments from other pilots on what a great idea it is.  

12 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

you elaborate on this?  What makes it more comfortable?  And what makes the 14s rider "smoother".  I've only ridden the 14C, so its hard for me to understand what makes some wheels rider better than others.

In general i would call a bigger wheel like a 16 or 18 inch more comfortable over a 14!

It is just a different ride feeling. The bigger a wheel gets, you loose some of the „torque/agility“ that are in general better on smaller wheels, but instead you win stability and a more cruising feel on a 16inch! I -personally- can not imagine to ever go back to a 14inch as my main wheel...as i prefer the cruising ride over the „slalom/agile/dancing“, which is what smaller wheels can do better.....

I also owned a 14c AND have ridden the 14S and also Ks16....

The S Series from Kingsong are not „just“ new shells...they are new motors, new boards and a new firmware, which is much stiffer and much much smoother in general than the older wheels. Also i would not say that a 14S is more smooth than a 16S...in contrary, i would say other way around.

As you allready had a 14inch...perhaps now it is time for a 16inch....the 16S?

As you already had a 14inch...perhaps now it is time for a 16inch....the 16S?

Yeah, that's the question all right.  I should make a mock up of the 16s and see how it fits in the plane and pick up.  

Also, I lost enough weight so I netted a lower payload when carrying the 14C along.  Now, it looks like I have to loose a few more pounds!

5 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Thanks for the replies.  I was beginning to think I offended some how.

Langhamp--I hadn't really thought about the extra space the add on trolley takes up on the 14C, but your absolutely right!

Marty Backe--I was hoping you'd respond, since I noticed that you had the 14s and really liked it.  I didn't know you also have owned a 14C so know how it rides relative to the 14s.  So, you have first hand experience.

Can you elaborate on this?  What makes it more comfortable?  And what makes the 14s rider "smoother".  I've only ridden the 14C, so its hard for me to understand what makes some wheels ride better than others.

Bigger pedals for the feet?  That's my only real issue comfort wise.  It's much, much, better than it used to be, but my feet still do get sore after a few miles.  It's much more of a limitation for me than battery size.

Or maybe some sort of wobble on the 14" wheel?  I don't really have a problem with that anymore.  

So, maybe I'll put the 14C up for sale.  Problem is, it just doesn't seem liker enough wheels change hands to determine a fair market price.  

You need more experience on different wheels to truly relate - that comes with time.

I can't objectively describe how the 14S rides different than the 14C, but to me the 14S feels more stable than the 14C, which was very agile. So the experience as a whole is, more comfortable.

Bigger diameter wheels provide more comfortable rides. That's true when going from a 14-inch to a 16-inch, or 16-inch to 18-inch, or 18-inch to 22-inch. So the KS16S will handle bumps better than the 14S. But we're getting nit-picky. The 14S is a nice wheel to ride - I've ridden in 30+ mile in one shot.

The 14S pedals fold down flatter than the 14C pedals, so they are much more comfortable, trust me. More grippy too.

The going rate for a 840wh 14C in good condition is ~$500

11 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Yeah, that's the question all right.  I should make a mock up of the 16s and see how it fits in the plane and pick up.  

Also, I lost enough weight so I netted a lower payload when carrying the 14C along.  Now, it looks like I have to loose a few more pounds!

Oh, I thought you had the trolley off your KS14c.

Then the answer is obvious. The KS16s. It has a smaller form factor, both width and height/length, than your KS14c + trolley, and is considerably safer to ride.

Just listed the 14C:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/8847-ks14c-for-sale-near-raleigh-nc-500/

If it doesn't sell for $500, I'm thinking I could probably use the batteries  in my new wheel, or at least build a spare battery from the cells.  I figure the battery itself gotta cost nearly $500.

10 minutes ago, DaveThomasPilot said:

Just listed the 14C:

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/8847-ks14c-for-sale-near-raleigh-nc-500/

If it doesn't sell for $500, I'm thinking I could probably use the batteries  in my new wheel, or at least build a spare battery from the cells.  I figure the battery itself gotta cost nearly $500.

Be advised new KS14c were selling for $500 including shipping. That's what I bought mine at.

On 13 November 2017 at 10:41 PM, DaveThomasPilot said:

I wish I could see if the 16s fits behind the pilot or co-pilot seat as nicely as the 14c does.

I just placed my 14c on top of my 16s, pancake style. There's not much in it. Maybe 2" taller, and 2"wider. Standing directly above the pile, looking down, perspective caused the 16 to almost disappear. Marty knows about the 14s.

I really love the ride of the 16 over the 14, and I enjoyed over 800 miles on the 14. It's just the 16 is more relaxing to travel distances, at a good cruise.  I took it today on a cross town 8.5 mile round trip to pick up some stuff. Didn't want to drive as all the school traffic was out.  I was riding 95% roads/sidewalks, mud path, that I have never ridden before. Would have thought twice with the 14 but it would have made it also. 

Distance across the folded pedals appears to be about the same approx 8". 

Archived