USB port supplied power and smartphone screen response

Bob Eisenman

I was sitting on a bench next to my Monster and the the thought of plugging in a USB cable to rejuvenate my smartphone came to mind.

It was cold and at first I thought that the change in responsiveness of my smartphone to my finger side swipes (page change display) seemed to be pokey or nearly non-existent.

Unplugging the USB cable 'restored' normal touchscreen side swipe responsiveness. Using another USB phone charger battery source did not have any issues. Button touch responsiveness was less effected , if at all.

While I haven't tried to measure volts from the Monster's USB port it seems that improper voltage could be the problem. My guess is that higher amperage is unlikely to be the culprit of changed touch screen responsiveness (older Moto G) while tethered by USB to the Gotway's battery source.

I've experienced the same with my MSuper as well. My MSuper has to be turned on to provide power to my cell phone. I haven't tried powering my cell phone while the wheel is on and laying on its side.

I believe the USB is 1.1 or whatever version is so slow as to be almost useless for powering up the phone, yet it makes up for this by being very vulnerable in a crash so I guess it all evens out.

I use this powerbank.

iMuto 20000mAh Portable Charger Compact Power Bank External Battery Pack with LED Digital Display and Smart Charge for iPhone X 10 8 7 6S Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8, S7, Note8, Tablets and More (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01191S0VY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lQAcAbC3FA1JJ

14 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I've experienced the same with my MSuper as well. My MSuper has to be turned on to provide power to my cell phone. I haven't tried powering my cell phone while the wheel is on and laying on its side.

I believe the USB is 1.1 or whatever version is so slow as to be almost useless for powering up the phone, yet it makes up for this by being very vulnerable in a crash so I guess it all evens out.

Actually the newer wheels like ACM, Msuper, Kingsongs provide 2Amp charging over the USB port...quite fast...

Is it possible to have the wheel OFF while the USB is ON?

To me, having a gigantic portable would be useful, except the wheel has to be on to provide power to the USB device.

5 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Unplugging the USB cable 'restored' normal touchscreen side swipe responsiveness. Using another USB phone charger battery source did not have any issues.

Here is a video of the zombie finger effect when using an Asus Android tablet with power applied from the Gotway Monster's USB port.

Maybe the applied USB port (source) charging voltage is pulse gated by the EUC's main board in such a way that battery recharging works but touchscreen response is interfered with. 

A regular USB phone charger battery does not interfere with the touchscreen.

If I turn my phone on in the am and leave it on all day (GPS tracking, Google maps, etc) the phones battery gets really low by the end of the day. In a worst case scenario, my commuter rail phone app for purchasing tickets without carrying cash might become unavailable , without being recharged a bit first from either battery source. At about 10% battery my phone auto shuts down. Even after recharging the phone battery back up to say 20% the Android OS often cycles through a 'restart of (currently) 190 apps' which takes several minutes.

For me it comes down to planning ahead for how I intend to use my Android phone under low battery circumstances.

Archived