Vicious Griptape

electricpen

So the last time it rained I felt the KS-16s pedals were a little too slippery and didn't feel that secure when wet. So even though the wheel itself seemed to have enough traction when the ground was wet, my feet didn't feel that planted making me feel a bit uncomfortable riding in the rain. I bought this griptape in order to rectify this situation but it hasn't rained again since I made the switch. I have now commuted a couple days in the rain with the new griptape and I must say it is night and day. My feet feel like they are stuck to the pedals now even when wet. I think the first mod I would perform on most EUCs is a grip tape upgrade.

This is the manufacturer's website:

http://viciousgrip.com/

If you guys have any questions let me know

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But can you have too much grip?

Making it hard to reposition your .

You can't slide your feet around but even on this griptape the largest grains are still very small. You only need to lift your feet no more than a couple mm to move it. What I do is I lift just the front or back of my foot just a tiny bit and pivot it to shift it around. I find this works ok and if I keep my feet firmly planted they don't move.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But can you have too much grip?

Making it hard to reposition your .

Grip vs. moving your foot, I'd choose the grip. That's the point after all. You can also alternate between lifting the front and back parts of the foot to get it repositioned without having to be able to ride one-legged (I can't, e.g.). Or just step off and on quickly, that's usually the best way:efee47c9c8:

Concerning grip, I have one of these foot reflex zone massager mats, and I'm thinking about cutting it up (or rather a cheap replacement) and putting that on my pedals. With winter and offroad riding, possibly with hiking boots (snow/dirt gets stuck in sole profiles) you easily can get very slipperly snow/ice spots on top of the pedals (from compressing snow into ice on the pedals), and any grip tape won't do it then (also any water instakills the standard Gotway griptape and creates slippery, sandless spots. Not sure how well brand tape would fare there, but apparently better).

57070.jpg

57071.jpg

This should work, shouldn't it?:efef015fe0:

Edited by meepmeepmayer

@meepmeepmayer Yeah that would work better if you are using boots and riding in icy conditions. The griptape I am using works fine when wet and with normal dirt but would probably not work when ice starts to get involved because as I mentioned the grains of the griptape are not big enough so the ice would fill in the gaps quite fast compared to what you are considering there lol.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I've come across a video of @Kuji Rolls  (believe it was on MSP topic), and I did the same thing to the Ninebot Z10.

Bye stock grip tape, Bye rubber on pedals, just the vicious griptape, ... and to be honest I am very pleased with it.

Did some off-roading (wet / mud / branches) and road, and ... very solid indeed.