Helmet with sun visor

6 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

Looking to upgrade my lower end Specialized bicycle helmet into something better, with a sun visor.

So far, this looks good;

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Annex-Shield-MIPS-Helmet/dp/B018NBV402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510240534&sr=8-1&keywords=ANNEX+SHIELD+MIPS

Any other ideas?

No other ideas but @TremF brought the Bell Annex back in July. He could probably give you a quick review on if he likes it or not.

5 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Looking to upgrade my lower end Specialized bicycle helmet into something better, with a sun visor.

So far, this looks good;

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Annex-Shield-MIPS-Helmet/dp/B018NBV402/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510240534&sr=8-1&keywords=ANNEX+SHIELD+MIPS

Any other ideas?

Do you want a helmet with a visor or shield? The Bell Annex comes in both versions. According to the product descriptions, the visor is the model with the brim at the front, whilst the shield is the protective plastic windscreen that pivots down in front of the eyes.

I have the Bell Hub which is nearly identical to the Annex but lacks MIPS and costs a lot less. I like it a lot and wear it all the time because it is very lightweight and looks good. The brim/visor offers a bit of shade from the overhead sun in the summer but not much. When I ride off-road or on longer trips near traffic, I wear the Super 3R with visor, MIPS, and chin bar for added protection.

Visor

bell-annex-mips-commuter-bike-helmet-matte-midnite-l.png.b279b90254316b5e8d216cfe33e3016c.png

Shield

bell-annex-shield-mips-commuter-bike-helmet-matte-gloss-black-l_2.png.31a140f6a537989f257034da89564461.png

The shield is what I am thinking. In the evening when I go home, the sun is right in my face for my 8 min ride home.

My Specialized has the "vizor" , I don't think it does much but make the helmet look sleeker. I really want the tinted shield.

14 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

No other ideas but @TremF brought the Bell Annex back in July. He could probably give you a quick review on if he likes it or not.

7 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

The shield is what I am thinking. In the evening when I go home, the sun is right in my face for my 8 min ride home.

My Specialized has the "vizor" , I don't think it does much but make the helmet look sleeker. I really want the tinted shield.

I really like the shield. It's comfortable, looks good, the vents can be opened or closed & the visor is great for rain or for when riding along the canal or around a nearby lake for keeping out the midges!  

BUT

I find that if it's windy putting the visor down, for me, makes it feel worse as the wind still gets to my eyes from a different angle. Also I'm not sure how it's meant to be good for the sun as it isn't polarised or tinted. 

Finally, not sure if good or bad, but I have had the odd "Robocop" comment. ;) 

8 hours ago, TremF said:

Finally, not sure if good or bad, but I have had the odd "Robocop" comment. ;) 

I got the comment "Nice bike, Mr Spaceman" as I rode home last night. It seems helmets are the second thing people notice after the wheel. :D

3 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

@TremF So, I really would like the tinted shield. I believe I saw an option for a reflective shield on that model, have you seen that?

Also, does the shield "flip" up and down? It looks like it does from the picture, but they only show it down.

To be honest I haven't seen a tinted option. I bought mine on Amazon but even looking at the Bell product page it doesn't mention a tinted visor? 

The visor itself slides up and down or can be removed. There's also a clip in brim that gives a little lip at the front of the helmet. I don't use that and don't think it can be used at the same time as the visor.

As it's rather cold and wet here at the moment it's great being able to close the top vents especially on the way to work at 5am. 

@Circuitmage I bought almost the same thing a while back:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IF0YOTO/

The visor is held on with magnets and does a really good job. Before this I used clip-on sunglasses for my prescription glasses and although they were good they didn't provide sun protection as good as the visor. Also, if you're riding in light rain it's better to have the rain hit the visor than your glasses. In a pinch I've even used it in night riding during rain although they do darken things more than I'd like. I wish they had a clear visor but I've never seen one. Overall a great helmet.

• 4 weeks later...

After a few weeks with this helmet (per my link at the top) , I am very happy. The visor is really good, and actually has helped with cool wind (my eyes do tear up a lot with cold weather) and very windy weather(saves my face from flying debris!).

I only put the visor down about 10% of my rides, but I'm glad it's there.

Archived