Gotway Tesla Impressions and Diary

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Installed:

jeXePHo.jpg

V098SZd.jpg

I have to say these rubbers are much better than the small ones! very comfortable....

Because they go over the complete width, they have no tendency to stick into your leg when you are moving over the side!

Nice, good progress....

I notice you padded your handle too. I thought the handle of comfortable enough without padded, particularly considering how little I actually have to carry the wheel. You carry yours long distances?

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I notice you padded your handle too. I thought the handle of comfortable enough without padded, particularly considering how little I actually have to carry the wheel. You carry yours long distances?

Nope, no long distances. Just some stairs sometime. I had some of those grip tapes to much, so i used them. I like this more than the naked plastic. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I almost forgot how much I love riding these wheels.   :w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:  I took my Tesla out for a non-stop ride this evening, and I shaved off 8 minutes from my Ninebot riding time taking the same route just because of the sheer speed!   Woot I hit 310 kph at one point!  The Tesla definitely feels like a sportscar compared to my Ninebot One E+.

1RBsEqZ.png

5s2bGSx.png

I bought some of these neoprene calf protectors similar to this listing, and they make a world of difference.  It does get a little sweaty underneath while wearing them, but they cushion the Telsa top edge really well.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shin-Support-by-Vive-Adjustable-Calf-Brace-Shin-Splint-Compression-Wrap-Incr/163002611111

I also tried out my pair of skid pad shorts, and they fit well under my loose pants.  The pads are a little on the thin side, but I think they should add a little extra protection.  The tailbone pad could be much better.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-Motocross-Racing-Skiing-Armor-Pads-Hips-Legs-Protector-Shorts-Pants/292200722469

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

After jumping off from a couple of curbs and scratching the pedals, I decided to put on pedal skim pads from my roll of carbon fibre-look automotive trim.  

Also, I noticed that the plastic charging plug can be inserted upside down or side ways so I took some liquid paper and marked the 12 o'clock position to make it more obvious.  There is a small notch and guide, but it's not foolproof.   Luckily the plug is arranged so nothing shorted out when I plugged it in the wrong way.  :blink:

IMG_4273.jpg

Good idea regarding the charging plug. I've had that happen. Think I'll try something similar.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

After jumping off from a couple of curbs and scratching the pedals, I decided to put on pedal skim pads from my roll of carbon fibre-look automotive trim.  

Also, I noticed that the plastic charging plug can be inserted upside down or side ways so I took some liquid paper and marked the 12 o'clock position to make it more obvious.  There is a small notch and guide, but it's not foolproof.   Luckily the plug is arranged so nothing shorted out when I plugged it in the wrong way.  :blink:

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

For sure going to use that tip and mark the charger plugs.  I've been using a flashlight to verify the groove and ridge position, pita.  Thanks for the great idea!

Edited by steve454
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbup:  Welcome to the Tesla ClubTM.  Membership has its privileges.  :efee6b18f3:  Overall it's a decent, speedy wheel.  Not too heavy, but not too light so it plows over bumps easily.  Hopefully reliability will prove itself over the long run, but I haven't had any issues so far after 400 km.  Riding from a stop to speed with a full battery charge is out of this world, but you do have to be careful.  Even at half battery, there is power to spare.  Once you get used to the wind and velocity, it's not as scary after a while.  I suit up with full gear every time I ride.  I just need a full face helmet, but that will hopefully be the next step.

The trolley handle works.  It's a little flimsy, but it does its job.  The side lights aren't bright except in the later hours, but the headlamp is plenty bright.  I don't like the top of the side pads that much, but you get used to them.  I wear velcro calf protectors which makes that go away.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

Whalecum to the club, find a way to track the speed you're doing is my advice, its so easy on this wheel to start off and then be like ahhhh this is a lovely cruising speed how fast am I going? OMG 27 MPH SHIT SHIT SHIT

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cannings said:

Whalecum to the club, find a way to track the speed you're doing is my advice, its so easy on this wheel to start off and then be like ahhhh this is a lovely cruising speed how fast am I going? OMG 27 MPH SHIT SHIT SHIT

Tell me about it... "Shit am I going over 25mph already?!"

On 12/19/2017 at 5:59 PM, US69 said:

Tesla diary continued ?

Aliexpress seller maintenance service at its best i would say ?

Today i received the "update package" for the sidewall and sidepads. One new sidewall, that protects the motor cable better, and also the 2 new rubber protections, which are a lot better than the small original ones:

JTmxDPB.jpg

Better rubber pads:

IvjCr02.jpg

Installement photos will follow letter....

i know im VEEERY late to this. but i got those pad on my tesla to begin with. but to be honest. i dont really like them. when theyre on its fine. but i  think you get a lot more agility without them

On 6/6/2018 at 12:02 AM, Boogieman said:

I could not resist any longer. 

Ordered a tesla (1KWh version) from Ali express (intelligent walking store) ?. Guess i am looking forward to a "slightly" steeper learning  curve ? than my  current mini plusMINI_PLUS_65b7fca5-f910-4c5b-826e-fdf2d4

And i guess it's time to buy some protective gear.  Thanks for all info here guys.  Its invaluable on items that are as un-widely spread as EUC's and especially when buying online forum tips are super ?

@martybackes test run on tesla (hill climb 1-2) compared aide by aide to the same route on the inmotion v10f hit the final nail in the coffin :) and i cant stand waiting any more, summer is HERE ?

lol. i had a mini pro. and i also upgraded to a tesla 1kwh version from intelligent walking store :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 7:52 PM, Shad0z said:

lol. i had a mini pro. and i also upgraded to a tesla 1kwh version from intelligent walking store :D 

Haha, what are the odds ?

And we are neighbours at the moment as you are in Denmark :)

Really good store b.t.w.

Got my tesla in 20days to Sweden (seller said 7-10days though but i never really believed that).

No delays when arriving in Sweden (our crappy postal service never was involved) ups all the way to the door = no additional costs ?

Its a lot of motor&battery for the money lol

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 1:58 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:thumbup:  Welcome to the Tesla ClubTM.  Membership has its privileges.  :efee6b18f3:  Overall it's a decent, speedy wheel.  Not too heavy, but not too light so it plows over bumps easily.  Hopefully reliability will prove itself over the long run, but I haven't had any issues so far after 400 km.  Riding from a stop to speed with a full battery charge is out of this world, but you do have to be careful.  Even at half battery, there is power to spare.  Once you get used to the wind and velocity, it's not as scary after a while.  I suit up with full gear every time I ride.  I just need a full face helmet, but that will hopefully be the next step.

The trolley handle works.  It's a little flimsy, but it does its job.  The side lights aren't bright except in the later hours, but the headlamp is plenty bright.  I don't like the top of the side pads that much, but you get used to them.  I wear velcro calf protectors which makes that go away.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

My 5th day of riding (have had about 4-6 hour before that) and suddenly everything fell into place.  Fast sweeping turns, start/stop, zigzagging turns...its allmost like a coin fell down ?

Still it wobbles at 4-5Hz when breaking and sometimes when turning...haven't found the reason and start to think it's normal, especially after looking on some of marty backes video where you can see his acm wobbling as he makes a long sweeping turn. And that is NOT due to lack of experience lol

starting to get used to it,  but will not speed until all protections have arrived.  So far only skate helmet and motor bike gloves and speed...i dunno 25-30km/h tops, but hard to say.  Did a 30km something run today...50% battery left after felt great:-)

The wheelog app and gotway app does npt connect on my galaxy s9+ have to use my old huawei p8 to connect.

Calibrated the wheel since it was about 3degrees fwd tilting (meassured with calibrated clinometer level app...and a straight wall vs trolley for good meassure/making sure clino wasnt totally off)

Protection during learning days is not the prettiest, but it got the job done mostly. Tesla took a few tumbles and the padding seems to have taken the worst of those hits. Added a belt to the grab handle after first time it scratched up, so after that i held onto the belt while riding and if i fell off i could catch it with the belt before it got scuffed. Worked pretty good. Good thing was that when i felt that i could drop the belt i got my 2nd arm back and balancing was quite a lot easier ?

IMG-20180630-WA0011.thumb.jpeg.57e61beb6d8d9ab2fc8888cfc3e53d7d.jpeg

Glad i found a Swedish helmet on short notice, especially now that it is football championships and Sweden is doing well so far, will be a ride to the park this week for some beer and football...helmet on OF COURSE ?

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2017 at 10:31 PM, US69 said:

1) Finally, finally Gotway has managed to come back to a real rock hard pedal setting with no play at all!(which i last saw on the Mcm2s)!

2) There are absolutely no pedal dippings when driving in curves, the pedals all time stay horizontal and dont “know” a tilt up or down :-)

1) And you can switch between

medium (default, medium battery life)

hard (0 play in pedals, but shorter battery life and 

soft (squishy but long battery i heard)

2) I guess you have noticed by now that if you push the tesla hard in curves and it gets a little bit of bumps it dips a smidge, though its not uncomfortable (when it gets really bumpy on asphalt though it can sometimes be a bit too much, but its rare to push it thar far I think. Its likely very close before the tyre looses it (if thats even possible, handling on asphalt is second to none and im amazed that one tyre can grip that hard, being used to two (mc) :-))

Same thing when braking hard, start turning and accelerating through and out of curve the Tesla kind of "raises" out of the curve...a very nice feeling IMO

I have the v1.2 btw (with more light modes) no idea if motor control changed between your fw and mine?

Edited by Boogieman

What's the Tesla's tolerance to dusty or wet ground relative to turning/angled tilting of thr wheel?

I am super scare of the wheel slipping from underneath me in these instances.

Still trying to learn to not panic over bumps.

9 hours ago, rinzler said:

What's the Tesla's tolerance to dusty or wet ground relative to turning/angled tilting of thr wheel?

I am super scare of the wheel slipping from underneath me in these instances.

Still trying to learn to not panic over bumps.

Its not really the tilt angle that makes the wheel loose grip, its the centripetal force that is dependent mostly on the speed but also on your + EUCS weight and how sharp you turn (I mean you can basically tilt the tesla 25 degrees and turn in 10km / h - which is not more prone to skidding than doing the same turn standing allmost straight, probably even safer as the thread is allmost allways less worn towards the sides and the pattern is also more "knobby" than the centre part that is often "flat without knobs / pattern".
Of course IF it slides, the time till You hit the ground with 25 degress tilt is less, so it might definitely be harder to "prevent a crash" - but thats another story :)
cf.gif

I have "forced a fall to learn under controlled circumstances" on "fine gravel/sand mix" in a park with no people. Plan was to start slightly faster than I normaly turn and the increase in each turn until grip was lost. 
With the tyre condition i was at that time, results were not that good, first corner was enough, so I think that when it "feels right" it "is right" on loose surfaces.
Tyre was allmost bald, albeit on the middle section but nevertheless, even though I leaned a bit most of the bald part was in contact with the ground.
I would estimate i did around 20 km/h as i took a 90 degree turn quite sharp, but still a lot softer than on asphalt and off I went running sideways then falling  and away the wheel bounced, so now I know that type of gravel...roughly at least :) Fine sand I think everyone knows is quite impossible to ride in. Once more than around 5cm deep, wheel just spins (at least my Tesla does - I know wider tyres helps plenty due to the bigger contact surface).

On wet, havent tried maximizing turns Yet (dont ride that often in the wet), but from many years on motor bike I can raise a warning on metal lids (wells and water) in the asphalt. When they get wet its like ICE for a rubber tyre so do not ever try to turn sharp (if at all) over theese when wet.

Also asphaplt is allways more slippery the first part after a rain fall, than after a longer period of rain as the oil, emission and plant residues are washed away over time and amount of water flushing the asphalt. After a solid rain fall for an hour the grip is substantially better than 2 minutes after a rain fall started, especially if it has been a long dry period before that.

Bumps? You mean bumps while turning on wet ground?
Best remedy would be to try to follow the bump (bending the knee :), as they say in GOT, when going up and then push down, straighten knee, when going down) to prevent the wheel from loosing contact with the ground, but grip in turns with low friction is what it is and a "constant bump path" basically makes your knee shock absorber pretty inefficient.
I guess easiest way to improve wet offroad grip is better thread pattern / knobby tyre as its impossible to know if that particular leaf heap is 1 or 5 leave stacks high or if that pile of sand is just superficial or if the tyre will decide to just spin :) 

I am no pro (only 3500km / 1 YeEar on Tesla), but have defentiely felt that as miles passed I relax more when turning and so on and due to that I get less wobbles in higher and higher speed turns.
Turning over bumps like when carving on a wide asphalt strip would allmost throw me off the first months of riding due to wobble "scare", but now I "trust the wheel" and that the centrifugal force will keep the wheel from falling even if it wobbles a bit after the turn...I even started to enjoy the wobbling a smidge...like riding an old school motor bike :) Now I carve in 40-45 km/h but the tyre is starting to show its limits by constant wobbling at each direction change (max force on side walls) so I doubt that my current tyre can handle a lot more than that safely. Luckily 45 km/h is also where i get my 80% beep (hears it when carving) so I guess it works fairly well after all even though I doubt Gotway did too much testing on tyres with 95Kg guys...but what do I know, I just judge by the inside design of the vehicle ;-)

Edited by Boogieman